Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Went to Everglades National Park today!

Stop looking, I cannot go when you look.

The grasshoppers had no fear. One tried to crawl up on my hand at one point while I was taking these.

A turtle keeps a watchful eye on the american murderlog alligator swimming nearby.

Another alligator!

I don't think I've ever seen a pink flower outside of a greenhouse. This was on one of the trails into the park a little bit.

All taken with my iphone 8. I found a longer trail I want to go back and check out (10k), but I didn't feel like taking the time to walk it out today/this summer. That may have to wait until October, when it is slightly less hellish outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a pink flower outside of a greenhouse. This was on one of the trails into the park a little bit.

It's a loving thistle. Kill it! Kill it!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

my kinda ape posted:

Please dont anger the scots.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

ElMaligno posted:

The scots sure are a contentious bunc-YOU JUST MADE AN ENEMY FOR LIFE!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ElMaligno posted:

Maybe they shouldn't spread their prickly invasive bullshit all over North America.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

no true scot

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I scored this https://www.amazon.com/ZOMEi-Tripods-Digital-Cameras-Release/dp/B013YDWR46 for $20 over the weekend. I wasn't expecting much but it seems pretty solid given the incredibly low price. Granted I'm not going to be using it with a heavy pro level full frame camera w/ a huge lens, but it should be pretty adequate for my lightweight APS-C mirrorless.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Did some snowshoeing over the weekend. Weather was pretty nice but my shins are feeling smoked.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Awesome pictures! I got some snowshoes over this past winter but never got a chance to use them since the Army kept sending me out of town.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mustang posted:

Awesome pictures! I got some snowshoes over this past winter but never got a chance to use them since the Army kept sending me out of town.

When do you pin on oak leaves?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There's no way in hell I'd ever make major, even if I was staying in. I work hard and get results which my immediate superiors have always liked but I never go out of my way to get "face time" with the colonels and when I do I don't slobber all over their dicks. If they ask me a question I'll give them a straight answer rather than telling them what I think they want to hear.

Half the 1SGs and SGMs I meet I'll almost immediately not get a long with.

I'm just straight up not commander material, or at least not the kind of commander that the Army would want.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

poo poo, I bet you make COL pretty quickly when Trump starts WWIII right before you get out. What are your feelings on brigade command?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some stuff from NYC. These are digital. Couple rolls of film will get sent off to the lab next week or so. I expect those to be mostly poo poo.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I really enjoy the line of the Flat Iron Building.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Syrian Lannister posted:

I really enjoy the line of the Flat Iron Building.

Thanks. It’s a bizarre looking building for sure.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Tried the MP5K shoulder rig out finally. It was fun, but also slower than a usual pistol draw stroke. Didn't have enough time to grab an XXL Aloha shirt to complete the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVTYx-88gm8

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ya but you're concealing literally an MP5k.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Tried the MP5K shoulder rig out finally. It was fun, but also slower than a usual pistol draw stroke. Didn't have enough time to grab an XXL Aloha shirt to complete the effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVTYx-88gm8

speaking of xxl aloha shirt..

https://shop.oafnation.com/collections/aloha-shirts/products/aloha-mk18-shirt?variant=19317624700997

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I need a freefloat handguard suggestion

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Get a lovely one off of eBay and duct tape it at the end.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Handguards are for wimps

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A discount blemished aero handguard? I dunno, I just went with a cheapo eBay one

I also do mag changes with my right hand and can't tie my boot laces

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Price range?

The solid budget option is the ALG lineup. Above that I'd recommend Geiselle, Hodge and SLR. The c ALG requires some degree of timing on the barrel nut with shims, while the latter three don't, just torque it to the required spec and go. Much easier that way.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Who the hell uses two hands to shoot one gun?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Your mother certainly did last night :smugdog:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
She was being polite.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I ended up finding an aero for a good price on ebay. Does anyone make shooting glasses that look like normal glasses? Everything looks TACTICAL

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Price range?

The solid budget option is the ALG lineup. Above that I'd recommend Geiselle, Hodge and SLR. The c ALG requires some degree of timing on the barrel nut with shims, while the latter three don't, just torque it to the required spec and go. Much easier that way.

ok so I might have made a mistake, do you have any suggestions for one that uses the standard barrel nut or am I going to have to remove the gas tube to install one of their proprietary barrel nuts?

I'm so used to everything involving non piston AR's being standard I didn't realize that every freefloat manufacturer seems to use their own barrel nut.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 22, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Standard barrel nut limits your options some but still doable. The one I have experience with is the Troy Alpha. Can say for sure it will work. Not sure about others for that barrel nut.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Standard barrel nut limits your options some but still doable. The one I have experience with is the Troy Alpha. Can say for sure it will work. Not sure about others for that barrel nut.

looking into troy alpha has been hilarious because some people got real mad online because they hired one o f the FBI guys that was at ruby ridge.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hey rat whats a good variable 1-4 or fixed for around 800 max?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hmm, in the basic 1-4 corner, my dad got a Steiner P4Xi for about $500, and it's nice and clear.

For a tad more, I'd personally go with the Vortex PST gen2 1-6 with the MRAD reticle (personal preference, most of my other optics and spotting scope are in mils) which is about $600 new.

If you can afford to be patient and maybe bump your price range up just a smidge, the Vortex Razor II 1-6 is a phenomenal scope. I have one with the MRAD reticle on my AUG and it's crisp and clear, and the illumination is red dot bright. I sometimes see them going used for $900ish, though they don't last long at that price.

If you can stomach gun forum classifieds, you can get some solid deals on used optics as long as you know what you want.

Really once you get into the $500+ price range it's hard to go wrong in terms of quality and customer support for something basic and functional.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 26, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What about mounts?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Most of my stuff has Larue mounts just cause they work without trouble. If you want something lighter, Aero Precision makes a lightweight mount, but it can also be a pain to mount the scope in it, cause it'll twist slightly as you're tightening the screws. Budget option would be something like the Burris PEPR.

Really any one-piece scope mount from a reputable company should do you ok. The question for you is what size and how cantilevered you want it. (I prefer slightly longer cantilevers cause I shoot nose to charging handle on everything for consistency's sake.)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Went backpacking at the Royal Basin, Olympic National Park.

Got rained on right when we got to Royal Lake but got some good pictures in the morning.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dang that looks nice. I’m off to Rocky Mountain National Park next week for 7 days. Super pumped.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Went backpacking at the Royal Basin, Olympic National Park.

Got rained on right when we got to Royal Lake but got some good pictures in the morning.

This place just made my bucket list of places to go visit :stwoon:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Olympic National Park is interesting in that it's not a park you can just drive into to see the sights. Well, other than like the Hoh Rainforest.

Otherwise you have to be willing to hike miles uphill to get the views.

I still haven't seen the center of the park because it would take multiple days backpacking to get there and I haven't had the time off to do a trip like that yet.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

drat those are phenomenal man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Mustang posted:

Olympic National Park is interesting in that it's not a park you can just drive into to see the sights. Well, other than like the Hoh Rainforest.

Otherwise you have to be willing to hike miles uphill to get the views.

I still haven't seen the center of the park because it would take multiple days backpacking to get there and I haven't had the time off to do a trip like that yet.

Do LaCrosse Basin. Also Mount Fricaba.