Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Alchenar posted:

The Quickdraw is probably the best 'tank' mech that you put a pilot with bulwark in and use to absorb fire until you can get your hands on a thunderbolt or two.

Eh, the 55 tonners have very close armor/structure values but enjoy higher initiative and an inherent +1 hit defense bonus, both aspects which help tanking more than ~10% additional armor (that comes at the expense of offense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sean10mm posted:

If you use jump jets it has less usable tonnage than most medium mechs, because it takes 1 ton jump jets instead of 0.5 ton jump jets.

Even without JJs it has less than the good mediums like the ENF, CN9, and HBK at 29 vs. 31.5.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stick a single AC20 and a single SRM6 in it. It’s a shittier cent but if it’s what you have it’s functional.

I never use them unless I somehow get one during the period when I’m still running a light or two.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I feel like getting a Thunderbolt was my first legitimate power boost after getting my second 50/55 tonner, because it's got juuuust enough additional firepower and armor to make the initiative hit worth it

I think your lance gets power boosts at the following milestones:

1. First time you get a second 50/55 tonner (big firepower boost)
2. First time you pick up a Thunderbolt/Jager (also a big firepower boost, plus a big armor boost with the Thunderbolt)
3. First time you get a Grasshopper/Black Knight/Orion (huge survivability boost, and the Orion especially lets you do big LRM builds or an AC/20 plus missiles)
4. First legit assault -- Highlander/Cyclops/Banshee-3S/King Crab/Atlas, Stalker for LRMs or ML/SRMs (now you're getting into being able to one-shot lighter mechs or heavier ones with precision shot)
5. When you get the Star League Highlander (max armor and a Gauss rifle plus whatever else you want, with the room and heat sinks to run it all)
6. When you get the Star League Atlas, because who doesn't want to run a max-armor King Crab with two SRM6s as a bonus?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

6. When you get the Star League Atlas, because who doesn't want to run a max-armor King Crab with two SRM6s as a bonus?

Way more than a KGC, the SLDF Atlas has 78 tons of space. That's 13 more than you get from the KGC and standard AS7. They basically just cheated and let you have a bunch of free tonnage so it's impossible to build even a vague approximation of the thing using canon rules.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Skippy McPants posted:

Way more than a KGC, the SLDF Atlas has 78 tons of space. That's 13 more than you get from the KGC and standard AS7. They basically just cheated and let you have a bunch of free tonnage so it's impossible to build even a vague approximation of the thing using canon rules.

Not even with endo steel/ferro fibrous/XL engine?

Also do we really need to spoiler out mechs in the game at this point? :confuoot:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Quick sketch out for required tonnage:

3 for the cockpit, sensors, life support
3 for the gyro
9.5 for the XL engine
5 for the magical internals that don't take up crits.

That's 20.5 tons

Standard engine/structure turns that into 35 tons pre-armor.

I might be missing something as it has been a while but that feels right.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I want clans in because I want more toys to play with, pretty much. Unfortunately most of these toys require a massive revamp to the ranges you fight at

As a friend put it: for clans to make sense would require such a mechanical rework that it might as well be battletech 2

E: no mechlab and no clan salvage are a huge no no imo. Like someone said earlier, the mechlab is half the fun for me.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I can't remember where I heard it, but I have a vague recollection of HBS saying that Heavy Metal would be the last DLC, and any further new cool stuff would go into Battletech 2.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:spergin: Since the 732B in this game doesn't have Artemis IV, because Artemis IV isn't a thing in this game, shouldn't it have 2 more tons free, since the Artemis IV adds 1 ton per launcher? All the other equipment in the game matches the equipment in the TT specs so there isn't anyplace else that weight should be going I don't think. Is the best way to replicate the 732B "properly" to add a Gauss+ (2 tons lighter) and then add the 2 ton missile TTS+?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

I can't remember where I heard it, but I have a vague recollection of HBS saying that Heavy Metal would be the last DLC, and any further new cool stuff would go into Battletech 2.

HM is the last DLC of "Season One" as their chart showed back when the DLC plan was announced. They haven't commented on Season Two or BT2 as far as I can recall. I'd hope they go for a Season Two over a full sequel as I feel like we got a lot of content and timeline left with the game.

As for Clans, just make BT2 or 3 from the Clan side, suddenly your 5 vs 12+ makes sense. Only big problem is the simgame progression unless they whip up some kind of Clan Argo boondoggle you can spend your HonourBucks on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Clans have actual WarShips so...

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Amechwarrior posted:

As for Clans, just make BT2 or 3 from the Clan side, suddenly your 5 vs 12+ makes sense. Only big problem is the simgame progression unless they whip up some kind of Clan Argo boondoggle you can spend your HonourBucks on.

There is huge potential for the strat/metagame from the perspective of a Clanner. With their entire system of Trials and independence and stuff, you could do a ton of fun things and keep it pretty dynamic.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So whats the new biome going to be in heavy metal? Like . .. volcanos? Or. . . . in a spaceship or something?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand I want to believe that magma planets and shoving heat efficiency all the way down to 50% would be interesting, on the other I bet it just results in tedious long matches.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Alchenar posted:

On the one hand I want to believe that magma planets and shoving heat efficiency all the way down to 50% would be interesting, on the other I bet it just results in tedious long matches.

Might lead straight to all melee all the time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Alchenar posted:

It means the stock Firestarter is going to clean house :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Doesn't the lunar biome basically do this already?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Venusian or Titan like planetary conditions, literally heavy metals falling from the sky along with acid rain and you constantly take damage just existing. Everyone would hate it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Under water maps. I vaguely recall the TT rules for deploying mechs underwater being kinda fun. Something like all HS worked double capacity, had to have the techs watertight it or something, LRM/SRMs had to be swapped out for torpedoes that did gently caress and all if you left the water for whatever reason, and an armor breach flooded that section, making it non-functional. It didn't destroy it or anything, but if you got flooded out it would take a while for the techs to drain everything and get it working again.

I think it also dicked with weapon ranges pretty harsh, except the mentioned torpedoes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'd love to see a heavy industrial biome.
Giant factory buildings, assembly yards and dry docks for dropships.
Huge open-pit mines and slag heaps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Back-of-a-ship biome

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

MY HOME PLANET! biome.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cyrano4747 posted:

I vaguely recall the TT rules for deploying mechs underwater being kinda fun.

You recall incorrectly. :v:

Movement speed is quartered, because you can't run underwater, only walk, and it takes +1 MP to enter a water hex, so something like a Shadow Hawk can move a whopping 2 hexes. Every hex you enter prompts a piloting skill check to avoid falling over (an average pilot will fail on a 4 or lower, because depth 2 water so your 'Mech is actually under water is a +0, deeper is progressively harder to stay standing), and if you fail you fall and take damage, which has a 1/6 chance of flooding any section that takes damage. If that happens to a leg, a regular pilot needs to roll 9 or better on 2d6 to even stand up, and then again every time they want to move, and their move speed is capped at 1 hex for the rest of the game even if they do stand up.

Ballistic weapons can't be fired underwater, energy weapons' range is cut by 1/3rd, and regular missiles can't be fired. It's a launcher problem; you have to actually refit for torpedo launchers it's not just swapping the ammo.

Fighting under water loving sucks outside of a gimmick game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

You recall incorrectly. :v:

Movement speed is quartered, because you can't run underwater, only walk, and it takes +1 MP to enter a water hex, so something like a Shadow Hawk can move a whopping 2 hexes. Every hex you enter prompts a piloting skill check to avoid falling over (an average pilot will fail on a 4 or lower, because depth 2 water so your 'Mech is actually under water is a +0, deeper is progressively harder to stay standing), and if you fail you fall and take damage, which has a 1/6 chance of flooding any section that takes damage. If that happens to a leg, a regular pilot needs to roll 9 or better on 2d6 to even stand up, and then again every time they want to move, and their move speed is capped at 1 hex for the rest of the game even if they do stand up.

Ballistic weapons can't be fired underwater, energy weapons' range is cut by 1/3rd, and regular missiles can't be fired. It's a launcher problem; you have to actually refit for torpedo launchers it's not just swapping the ammo.

Man, we must have housed rules the gently caress out of that. I just remember airlocking out the side of a sealab type thing in a middleschool basement campaign at one point. Was good times .

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, we must have housed rules the gently caress out of that.

Probably! It definitely needs it. :v: Under water combat in BattleTech gets better if you use any one (or five) of the equipment that's specifically designed to make it tolerable but if you do that your 'Mech is loving useless out of water. Most of them are post-Clan Invasion tech anyway, the ones that aren't literally ClanTech to start with like HarJel.

This and aerospace fighters on ground maps are the two pieces of Total Warfare that I've bothered to commit to memory specifically because they're niche as gently caress and the one time it comes up is always at a convention or something, and if someone doesn't know it off-hand searching for those rules is going to take like half an hour and leave no one satisfied.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

UMUs make it more tolerable, but only barely.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Battletech sewer level when?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

UMUs make it more tolerable, but only barely.

Harjel and UMUs together make it a fun gimmick, but at that point you're basically playing "half range jumping only" on a regular map so

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So a lot of my guys are injured and the mechs are being repaired.

Do I just wait it out? I'm very early in the game and I have like 2 mill.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Pretty much. You can hire more mechwarriors from the hiring hall, but for now mechs are a bit of a limiting factor.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Doesn't the lunar biome basically do this already?

Kinda, except you would want something more akin to the opposide of a jungle biome - imagine the large lake/river maps except instead of water it's lava and so you have a choice of long range sniping (high heat), jumpjetting to close the gap (high heat), or wading through lava (high heat and leg damage), all in an environment where your heatsinks aren't working properly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Not even with endo steel/ferro fibrous/XL engine?

Also do we really need to spoiler out mechs in the game at this point? :confuoot:

It's,

Taerkar posted:

Quick sketch out for required tonnage:

3 for the cockpit, sensors, life support
3 for the gyro
9.5 for the XL engine
5 for the magical internals that don't take up crits.

That's 20.5 tons

Standard engine/structure turns that into 35 tons pre-armor.

I might be missing something as it has been a while but that feels right.

this part. Technically you can mirror the tonnage, but endo and an XL would only leave something like half a dozen critical slots so you would'na have any space left for guns.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

jump jets are worth taking on absolutely everything, if only for how loving cool it is to Cap Trooper your way around the map in a 100T death machine

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Radio Free Kobold posted:

jump jets are worth taking on absolutely everything, if only for how loving cool it is to Cap Trooper your way around the map in a 100T death machine

Also the feeling when there is 1 numb nuts enemy left, and you realize your Atlas with intact legs is within DFA distance.

:yeshaha:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
They should have flying kick animations for DFAs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

OAquinas posted:

They should have flying kick animations for DFAs.

DFA kills that literally sink the enemy mech into the ground.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Groetgaffel posted:

Battletech sewer level when?

With methane pockets and certain side canals that everyone could see down but only lights could move through.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Make Cicadas worthwhile by giving them a unique Liu Kang bicycle kick animation when performing a DFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'd like to see some weird maps for BT2 like a hollow inside of a small planetary body like an asteroid mine where you can run up the walls. Also Solaris with intrigue and poo poo-talking pre-fight interviews. The idea of running a mechwarrior who cuts wrestling-style promos just appeals to me.