Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah just about every greyhound I know can't be off-lead if the area isn't fenced in. They have a strong prey drive, no road sense, and aren't able to smell their way home. Plus they're able to outrun their memory when they're focused on a chase.

We thought we could let Spartacus off-lead and did a trial, and sure enough he saw the open road and started trotting. He has crap recall, so we've basically given up on ever taking him off-lead.

Except when there's something to chase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WQ_CNPpC8

Aww man, I felt bad for Sparty(while chuckling). But yes, I think it is a rare greyhound that can be off lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So I went to the Greyhound adoption day event in my city today and it was pretty rad! First take-away from it was holy poo poo these are some strong rear end dogs! As mentioned before, my previous dog was a small fluffy ball that if he wasn't doing what you wanted him to do you could just scoop him up and he had no say in it. If I go with a greyhound that will definitely be ... different! I also didn't quite realise how boney they are to the touch. Patting anywhere on the body is like running your hand over a rippled surface and that would take some getting used to. They all (probably about 20 of them all up) looked amazing though. Incredibly well looked after by the organisation ... immaculate teeth and healthy coats. The handlers and volunteers there were amazing and super dedicated - was really nice to see.

Even though I wasn't adopting today, I feel like it was a tough environment to really get a good idea in. Dogs were over stimulated with so many people around and food was being cooked and other dogs were always walking by. Most of them seemed like their attention was being pulled 300 ways which made it hard to get a feel for some of them. They do have a facility where you can go and see them at your own pace and take them on a short walk and have them off leash in a yard which sounds much more ideal as well as listing your preferences so they help you match a personality better - just a shame its an 8hr round-trip drive and I'm without a car. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to adopt I'll have a car or a friend can take a trip because that sounds like the best way of doing it.

I think I'd prefer a smaller one. The big ones were so god drat big. Having said that, my favourite of the day who kept leaning into me for pats was the biggest one there.

One thing I was unsure of was the amount of dandruff they have? is that a normal thing? A few of them had it and handlers said it was from the coats they were wearing in the car rides down (they had to travel about 4hrs). Is that a common thing in Greys?
Also, I didn't really think to ask until later - are there any trends in differences between sexes? I know males tend to be bigger, but any common personality traits that are often seen in one sex over another?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

thepokey posted:

So I went to the Greyhound adoption day event in my city today and it was pretty rad! First take-away from it was holy poo poo these are some strong rear end dogs! As mentioned before, my previous dog was a small fluffy ball that if he wasn't doing what you wanted him to do you could just scoop him up and he had no say in it. If I go with a greyhound that will definitely be ... different! I also didn't quite realise how boney they are to the touch. Patting anywhere on the body is like running your hand over a rippled surface and that would take some getting used to. They all (probably about 20 of them all up) looked amazing though. Incredibly well looked after by the organisation ... immaculate teeth and healthy coats. The handlers and volunteers there were amazing and super dedicated - was really nice to see.

Even though I wasn't adopting today, I feel like it was a tough environment to really get a good idea in. Dogs were over stimulated with so many people around and food was being cooked and other dogs were always walking by. Most of them seemed like their attention was being pulled 300 ways which made it hard to get a feel for some of them. They do have a facility where you can go and see them at your own pace and take them on a short walk and have them off leash in a yard which sounds much more ideal as well as listing your preferences so they help you match a personality better - just a shame its an 8hr round-trip drive and I'm without a car. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to adopt I'll have a car or a friend can take a trip because that sounds like the best way of doing it.

I think I'd prefer a smaller one. The big ones were so god drat big. Having said that, my favourite of the day who kept leaning into me for pats was the biggest one there.

One thing I was unsure of was the amount of dandruff they have? is that a normal thing? A few of them had it and handlers said it was from the coats they were wearing in the car rides down (they had to travel about 4hrs). Is that a common thing in Greys?
Also, I didn't really think to ask until later - are there any trends in differences between sexes? I know males tend to be bigger, but any common personality traits that are often seen in one sex over another?

Glad you had a great time!

I haven't heard of dandruff much with greys, but I suppose it's possible. Spartacus doesn't have any yet, and when he blows his coat it's a few handfuls or so. It's easily managed compared to the golden I had as a kid. It tends to happen more as dogs get older, but can be handled with good food and the occasional grooming.

Size doesn't mean too much, personality is what you really want to look for. Sparty is large even for a male and he's energetic and has surprising stamina, but he's a total lazy slouch compared to our mutt. He's pretty confident for a grey, but I have no idea if that's a common trait or if Spartacus is just a weirdo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dandruff is definitely a thing - Abby gets it. I bathe her once a year (one of the many advantages of a breed that cleans itself) which seems to help it a bit.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bonnie has a lot of dander in shedding season too (i.e. right now), i'm probably gonna take her upstairs and lock us in the shower. god she's gonna hate it so much

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

DarkHorse posted:

Size doesn't mean too much, personality is what you really want to look for. Sparty is large even for a male and he's energetic and has surprising stamina, but he's a total lazy slouch compared to our mutt. He's pretty confident for a grey, but I have no idea if that's a common trait or if Spartacus is just a weirdo

Yeah I think saying I would prefer a smaller one is just the intimidation factor of owning a big dog for the first time - being able to control and handle it. But you're right, if there is a huge one with the most placid and gentle temperament that walks lovely on a lead etc I would assume that would be easier to handle than a smaller one who is much more boisterous. I guess what's why I was a little curious in differences between sexes in terms of trends in personality. Someone today made an off-hand comment that females tend to have a little more of an independent streak?

Its middle of winter here now so I think we would be past shedding season but they would have had to have worn their coats if it was cold in the car like the guy mentioned today. Was just surprised at the amount of dandruff and the size of it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spartacus is phenomenal on a lead. He doesn't pull, and learned slack-line leading without me having to do anything. If there's any tension he will slow down on his own.

Compared to my mutt, who despite constant training will still occasionally try to drag you (and sometimes succeed!) despite being literally half his weight, he's a dream

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Gannon is having dandruff issues today along with a fair bit of shedding, it's been sunny and hot here. Gonna try taking him down to the lake for a good soak tomorrow. Still nowhere as bad as the previous dog who just left clumps of long black hair everywhere.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

thepokey posted:

I can tell you that we wanted a small fawn female, then the agency hooked us up with Jake, a rather large brindle male. I wouldn’t have it any other way, his personality is so sweet and he loves every person he walks up to. He’s about 80 lbs so it’s a chore to pick him up, but we rarely need to do so.

Regarding the bony feeling, I often refer to my hounds as a “pillowcase full of hammers”. I only notice Jake having dandruff when he is stressed (fireworks ugh :() or has been out in the sun all day. I can’t tell with Barley as she is white. Also to keep in mind is that greyhounds have a variety of coats, some are thick and a little fluffy while some are smooth and silky etc. Some definitely shed more than others as well.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lol we wanted a brindle female and they gave us a fawn male

Still love brindles but I also love my big dumb deer

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah Gannon's coat is mostly smooth as a shark. He does have a nice tuft of hair for mussing along each side of his his neck though.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Ever since we started adding fish oil to our hounds’ diets we have noticed less dandruff and much better nails. We use the stuff form Grizzly and we have it on an Amazon subscription. Lots of omega 3s and added glucosamine to help with joint issues.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Ever since we started adding fish oil to our hounds’ diets we have noticed less dandruff and much better nails. We use the stuff form Grizzly and we have it on an Amazon subscription. Lots of omega 3s and added glucosamine to help with joint issues.

I noticed that as well with my old golden. Good food made a huge difference in both our dogs' coats, and in our cats' too.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Double postin' because I'm as dumb as my dog (he's very dumb) ((I still love my very dumb deer))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdUEfl5fKg

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DarkHorse posted:

Double postin' because I'm as dumb as my dog (he's very dumb) ((I still love my very dumb deer))

He's as fast as he is dumb :kimchi:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
What a good boy! I hope you gave him a treat as a prize, after all that racing! :D

Also, Tazo's raincoat has arrived - just in time for the weekend! (And by extension, our trek out to the reservoir) He'll be the coolest grey on the block, if/when it rains

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Major Isoor posted:

What a good boy! I hope you gave him a treat as a prize, after all that racing! :D

Also, Tazo's raincoat has arrived - just in time for the weekend! (And by extension, our trek out to the reservoir) He'll be the coolest grey on the block, if/when it rains

Who in Australia did you get that raincoat from? It looks so cute!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Who in Australia did you get that raincoat from? It looks so cute!

It's from anniescoats.org! It offers great protection/coverage - I wish I had it weeks ago, when we got ourselves soaked. She has a shop in Melbourne, and makes+ships out coats. Pretty quick to get here in SA, too

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 24, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

oh my god he looks so silly and cute :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Further proof that Sparty is the smartest, most independent boy.

Major Isoor posted:

I need a raincoat like this. I wonder if they ship to the other SA. Gello doesn't really mind the rain, but I feel sorry for her when she looks like a drowned rat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We have two 60lbers who are great on lead and generally good dogs. My wife weighs about their combined mass or less and walks them with zero problems. We are apartment dwellers and quite busy and the dogs are doing quite well.

They really do just want to be in sight-line and lay on the floor 95% of the time.

They've taught me that being beautiful, easy-going and dumb really is the best way to go through life if you can manage it.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 27, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

taking a photo of your goblin such that you completely foreshorten the nose: always fun

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

I need a raincoat like this. I wonder if they ship to the other SA. Gello doesn't really mind the rain, but I feel sorry for her when she looks like a drowned rat.

Oh, I'm sure they would! Their site is a little barebones in the store aspect, so if you're after one I'd recommend emailing grey_annie@yahoo.com.au and ask about the additional shipping costs (as it doesn't calculate shipping. The default purchase price is simply the coat+Aus shipping) and the size you want, and I'm sure they'll be willing to help.

jesus WEP posted:

taking a photo of your goblin such that you completely foreshorten the nose: always fun

What a dog! :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It always saddens me when this thread dies. So here are some pictures of Gello in her various snooze poses.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Excellent half rex in the second picture :swoon:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my regal dog threw up her food and then immediately ate it again

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

A meal so nice he ate it twice.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty in contrast just eats my food

Though he doesn't actually eat it, just tears it up and spreads it around

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think i found the good scritchin’ spot, can’t be sure though

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Our long dog has a nose too long for short cones and a neck too thing for large cones. We ended up having to tie the large cone to his collar with string. Any one have a cone of shame that works well for them?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bamhand posted:

Our long dog has a nose too long for short cones and a neck too thing for large cones. We ended up having to tie the large cone to his collar with string. Any one have a cone of shame that works well for them?
comfy cone worked gr8 for bonnie but she is less needly nosed than some doggos

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this happens a lot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

He likes this fuzzy bathmat as much as his actual beds (we put it next to our desks).

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

this happens a lot

I don't see anything but curtains?! :confused:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

I don't see anything but curtains?! :confused:

Yeah, are you sure you posted that in the right thread, AJ?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is a pro-level modified t-rex, good job sparty

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

this is a pro-level modified t-rex, good job sparty

Hideous

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sparty :3:

Bonnie’s belly gets so bald and spotty in summer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Sparty :3:

Bonnie’s belly gets so bald and spotty in summer!

Lookit that nekkid belly :kimchi: