Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

That link 404s for me.

Yup, it's dead. It was against imgur policy so it was only a matter of time. I didn't upload it.

Basically the RV catches air and kind of pancakes onto the deck, narrowly missing a crowd of people who are running out of the way. The driver front hits first and the entire roof collapses onto it. It looks like the A pillar on the passenger side faired a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
If that's the security video from the ferry, the dude loving SENT it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/tadoussac-ferry-crash-1.5187948
Note: One dead, one in hospital.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-hKviYClw

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I’m a bit slow on the draw so I didn’t get it on video but I was waiting to turn at a light off the highway and a pick up truck drove past completely missing front right tire draggin half a ground down brake rotor. I Thought about calling the cops on him till I completed my left turn and saw two of them sitting on the side of the road he just drove past. OK then

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Holy poo poo. He actually made it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Holy poo poo. He actually made it.

From what I read, there was brake failure on the monster hill before the ferry launch and he was blaring the horn the whole way down to get people out of the way. drat sad that the dude died, but yeah, that was my first thought too. Can't believe he actually hit the ferry.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Entirely speculation, but the water may have spared his life assuming no crippling injuries. It seems like a really lovely situation to seemingly normal people. Hopefully they find out what actually happened to the brakes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have been severely tempted to jump out of it but if there were lots of people around that would suck.....I guess the only thing to do then is put it in low gear and jam on the parking brake? I wonder if he tried to do any of that or just panicked.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Or turn

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would have been severely tempted to jump out of it but if there were lots of people around that would suck.....I guess the only thing to do then is put it in low gear and jam on the parking brake? I wonder if he tried to do any of that or just panicked.

There's a runaway truck ramp a bit up the hill, but there were some reports that there were pedestrians in the way or something like that which made it unusable.

It does look like a pretty loving stupid layout for a runaway ramp, with such a narrow entrance right next to a parking lot that'd be pretty hard to hit confidently if in an out of control vehicle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What are the chances of a spontaneous brake failure going down a large hill? Quite low, I should think; more likely, the brakes were already cooked and finally gave out, because a lot of people have absolutely no business driving a high-gross-weight vehicle because they've no clue what they're doing.

When I was growing up, I lived next to a highway that was essentially one giant kilometres-long hill, and you could smell the brakes on a lot of the RVs that went down it. RV manufacturers and sellers are negligent, in my opinion, if they don't ensure that purchasers know things like "downshift on a steep hill" or if they don't equip with suitable brakes (airbrakes if necessary) vehicles which should by rights have them, for reasons of cost or wanting to avoid the need for an airbrake endorsement. You can blame the drivers all you like, but I place equal blame on the entire system that allows them to drive huge vehicles with no additional training or experience.

Also, if you're standing in front of the runaway truck lane, then maybe you deserve to get ran the gently caress over by a runway truck.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Man that loving sucks. I'm thinking if he hit the water the body would have collapsed and trapped them just the same. The runaway ramp was the best option but too late now. And if he'd killed a pedestrian that would have really sucked to live with. I'd rather go myself than kill someone else.

All I can say is in 33 years of driving I've only had one case of major malfunction where the throttle stuck on due to a frayed cable, and I did exactly what I should have done, threw it in neutral and pulled over, then killed the motor. But it still scared the poo poo out of me, letting off the gas and having it not obey was terrifying.

I'd like to think I'd do the right thing in that situation but I also have nothing but sympathy for people who it happens to and they panic and do the wrong thing. It's very hard to think under that kind of pressure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

What are the chances of a spontaneous brake failure going down a large hill? Quite low, I should think; more likely, the brakes were already cooked and finally gave out, because a lot of people have absolutely no business driving a high-gross-weight vehicle because they've no clue what they're doing.

When I was growing up, I lived next to a highway that was essentially one giant kilometres-long hill, and you could smell the brakes on a lot of the RVs that went down it. RV manufacturers and sellers are negligent, in my opinion, if they don't ensure that purchasers know things like "downshift on a steep hill" or if they don't equip with suitable brakes (airbrakes if necessary) vehicles which should by rights have them, for reasons of cost or wanting to avoid the need for an airbrake endorsement. You can blame the drivers all you like, but I place equal blame on the entire system that allows them to drive huge vehicles with no additional training or experience.

Also, if you're standing in front of the runaway truck lane, then maybe you deserve to get ran the gently caress over by a runway truck.

RVs are often terribly maintained though.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

LloydDobler posted:

I'd rather go myself than kill someone else.

I know this is most likely the common sentiment in here, but after seeing hundreds of pages worth of videos of pictures of people deciding otherwise, I'd just like to say: Thank you. As a pedestrian this means a lot, especially when stated in this context of real life event reinforcing the consequence of that choice.

Its the sort of thing you assume is the general sentiment, but it still hits you right in the feelings when people come out and say that they intend to do the right thing even if it means knowingly killing themselves to do so.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah sorry if my family is in the car and the brakes fail and some dipshit is having a picnic in the escape lane they're done for.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/latest-news/tourists-use-escape-lane-for-runaway-lorries-for-picnics-1-2382111

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Not to get distracted from a real problem here, but England really has the best names.

quote:

But Eskdaleside-cum-Ugglebarnaby Parish Council Chairman Tim Lawn warned drivers unfamiliar with the road's tragic history are pulling into the siding to chat on mobile phones, drink cups of tea, or study maps.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
hahahah “Tim Lawn” what were his parents thinking?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nsaP posted:

Or turn

Honestly I’d do this, try to run alongside something and use the friction to slow then crash into a pole or something

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Easychair Bootson posted:

hahahah “Tim Lawn” what were his parents thinking?

quote:

Coun Lawn said his father Ben, who lives nearby, had been asked for a number of tows and police had also rescued stranded vehicles.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

100% agreed of course. I'd imagine most AI regulars hear "brakes failed on a significant downhill" and automatically understand that as "idiot driver cooked their brakes" unless proven otherwise.

quote:

When I was growing up, I lived next to a highway that was essentially one giant kilometres-long hill, and you could smell the brakes on a lot of the RVs that went down it. RV manufacturers and sellers are negligent, in my opinion, if they don't ensure that purchasers know things like "downshift on a steep hill" or if they don't equip with suitable brakes (airbrakes if necessary) vehicles which should by rights have them, for reasons of cost or wanting to avoid the need for an airbrake endorsement.
Air brakes are readily available on RVs, but generally only the ones built on medium/heavy duty truck frames. This one looks like a late '80s-early '90s "Class A" which would be on a frame derived from a full-size van, so it'd almost certainly be hydraulic. That said cooking the brakes on a hill works the same regardless of what's operating your pads/shoes, and air brakes add their own interesting quirks. On that note, the air brake endorsement thing doesn't have anything to do with their availability in RV. RVs are exempt from that pretty much everywhere that doesn't require you to have an actual CDL to drive one. Even the states that have the "noncommercial Class A" licenses for heavy RVs usually don't care about air brakes.

quote:

You can blame the drivers all you like, but I place equal blame on the entire system that allows them to drive huge vehicles with no additional training or experience.
100% agreed. I come from an RVing family that loves our big rigs and we all agree it's absolutely absurd that anyone is allowed to drive these things without any special training or permitting. The same license I got when I was 16 for driving a Buick Regal around the block was all I needed to pilot 27,000 lbs worth of fiberglass and appliances slapped on top of a modified semi truck chassis down the highway at 80 MPH. We definitely need graduated licensing of some kind to be standardized below 26,000 lbs. I would happily take a bunch more tests to prove I can properly handle these things (or potentially determine where I have weak spots and have just gotten lucky) if it meant I could assume the others on the road were being driven slightly more competently.

quote:

Normally I'd agree, but that street view image I posted above shows that it's a really stupid layout which basically guarantees that people will regularly be in the way. Whoever designed it so the parking lot intersects the out of control truck path is just trying to kill people. I have to assume it probably wasn't initially there and was added after the area was somewhat built up so it just got placed where they could make it work.

Also in the video it looks like it was backed up similarly to the street view image so if the guy swerved in to the empty oncoming lane to avoid rear-ending traffic he'd then have to drive back through the lineup to get to the ramp. The driver was still probably ultimately at fault for losing their brakes in the first place, but once that happened it seems like they were basically doomed to a crash of some sort

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 27, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wolrah posted:

100% agreed. I come from an RVing family that loves our big rigs and we all agree it's absolutely absurd that anyone is allowed to drive these things without any special training or permitting. The same license I got when I was 16 for driving a Buick Regal around the block was all I needed to pilot 27,000 lbs worth of fiberglass and appliances slapped on top of a modified semi truck chassis down the highway at 80 MPH. We definitely need graduated licensing of some kind to be standardized below 26,000 lbs. I would happily take a bunch more tests to prove I can properly handle these things (or potentially determine where I have weak spots and have just gotten lucky) if it meant I could assume the others on the road were being driven slightly more competently.

Here's another question: even if we don't do anything about the actual licensing, what the gently caress are insurance companies thinking just allowing this? If I win the lottery tomorrow and pick up a shiny new DA-62 on a whim, I'm legally allowed to fly that plane with the licenses and ratings I hold, but no insurance company would ever actually insure me on it without additional training, so functionally I am not allowed to fly that plane because you need to hold insurance, just as you would in a car. Why are insurance companies insuring RV drivers who haven't demonstrated competence in handling a large vehicle? I bet there's at least one company in Quebec currently asking themselves that exact question today.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

Here's another question: even if we don't do anything about the actual licensing, what the gently caress are insurance companies thinking just allowing this? If I win the lottery tomorrow and pick up a shiny new DA-62 on a whim, I'm legally allowed to fly that plane with the licenses and ratings I hold, but no insurance company would ever actually insure me on it without additional training, so functionally I am not allowed to fly that plane because you need to hold insurance, just as you would in a car. Why are insurance companies insuring RV drivers who haven't demonstrated competence in handling a large vehicle? I bet there's at least one company in Quebec currently asking themselves that exact question today.

Because they are making money on the policies? If they weren’t making money then they wouldn’t offer coverage. RVs (and all “toys”) are usually cash cows because they usually don’t actually travel much, especially relative to cars, and they depreciate so fast they’re not actually worth a lot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

um excuse me posted:

Yup, it's dead. It was against imgur policy so it was only a matter of time. I didn't upload it.

Basically the RV catches air and kind of pancakes onto the deck, narrowly missing a crowd of people who are running out of the way. The driver front hits first and the entire roof collapses onto it. It looks like the A pillar on the passenger side faired a little better.
Nah just didnt post it right.

https://imgur.com/p94r9tK

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wrong-way driver critically injures self, highway patrolman

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/2019/06/27/trooper-suspect-critical-condition-wrong-way-crash-71/1581550001/

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Good avatar/post combo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Good avatar/post combo.

Holy poo poo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah sorry if my family is in the car and the brakes fail and some dipshit is having a picnic in the escape lane they're done for.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/latest-news/tourists-use-escape-lane-for-runaway-lorries-for-picnics-1-2382111

Well marked

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.446...!8i6656!5m1!1e4

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem is they put the escape lane on the wrong side of the road

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I've wondered from time to time if you're in a vehicle that has plastic wheel covers and you're going to descend the sort of grade that would heat your brakes to a dangerous level, then would it be advantageous to remove the covers and toss them inside the vehicle somewhere? Would this aid the cooling of the brakes to any effective degree?

I mean I know you don't just ride the brakes all the way down, low gear and engine braking are your friend, but just to give yourself the extra bit of safety margin would seem like an intelligent thing to do if pulling the wheel covers off did anything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not particularly, no. There are some wheel/cover designs that might improve airflow to the brakes, as seen on some older race cars, but a duct forcing air to the back of the rotor hat and caliper are the more common way.

Having fresh fluid and decent pads will prevent most issues though. Fluid collects water over time which drops the boiling point significantly. 3.5% water content (the amount for it to be considered "wet") will drop the boiling point of dot 4 fluid from 450f or higher- some fluids handle over 600f, to like 300.

In more humid climates you can be down to the wet point in like a year or two. How often does the brake fluid get flushed on most cars?

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 29, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

jamal posted:

Not particularly, no. There are some wheel/cover designs that might improve airflow to the brakes, as seen on some older race cars, but a duct forcing air to the back of the rotor hat and caliper are the more common way.

Having fresh fluid and decent pads will prevent most issues though. Fluid collects water over time which drops the boiling point significantly. 3.5% water content (the amount for it to be considered "wet") will drop the boiling point of dot 4 fluid from 450f or higher to like 300.

In more humid climates you can be down to the wet point in like a year or two. How often does the brake fluid get flushed on most cars?

We in AI are probably not the target group of such a study, but I do an annual flush on everything in the fall. The Fit gets Type200, everything else gets Carquest-brand Dot3/4. I have a nice powerbleeder, so it's a piece of cake.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Police: Fleeing suspect in child luring sting injures five officers

https://vtdigger.org/2019/06/28/police-fleeing-suspect-in-child-luring-sting-injures-five-officers/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Well no - but also not exactly the most alluring picnic spot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Computer viking posted:

Well no - but also not exactly the most alluring picnic spot.

I saw two old people relaxing in camping chairs in the grass next to a construction site with moderate traffic. The grass is part of a nice city park, so I have no idea why you'd choose that exact small spot by the construction zone. They were just staring at traffic.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
"No, actually I CAN see out of this"

I had half a mind to go back and rip it down, but I'm not looking to get shot/catch an assault charge today.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Ain't half as bad as the rust buckets that are falling apart near me, or people driving cars that looked like they were t-boned at 40mph with doors that won't even close. Car inspections desperately need to come back so these rolling dumpster fires can be taken off the drat road already.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Living wages need to come back so that people can afford to replace their cars.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The harder, but more effective solution is by making cars cheaper by cutting back on safety mandates by making cars lighter by making them smaller. SUVs and pick ups are literally driving up market costs, but that in itself are being driven by bad decisions by consumers.

One easy single change fix would be to drive up oil prices.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 3, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

um excuse me posted:

The harder, but more effective solution is by making cars cheaper by cutting back on safety mandates by making cars lighter by making them smaller. SUVs and pick ups are literally driving up market costs, but that in itself are being driven by bad decisions by consumers.

One easy single change fix would be to drive up oil prices.

You don't have to cut back on safety requirements. The median new car purchase price is over $35k now, and there's a hell of a lot of vehicles that are cheaper than that already for sale. You could change consumer behavior either with higher gas prices, gas guzzler taxes kicking in at a higher minimum mpg, or even sticking to the now-cancelled mandatory CAFE efficiency improvements that will punish automakers whose average efficiency is low.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

You don't have to cut back on safety requirements. The median new car purchase price is over $35k now, and there's a hell of a lot of vehicles that are cheaper than that already for sale. You could change consumer behavior either with higher gas prices, gas guzzler taxes kicking in at a higher minimum mpg, or even sticking to the now-cancelled mandatory CAFE efficiency improvements that will punish automakers whose average efficiency is low.

Read the logic train backwards. Make them smaller, lighter, reduce safety systems so they don't have to survive a mom in an Expedition drinking an iced latte and texting, and they'll be cheaper as a result. They might even be somewhat fun to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

Read the logic train backwards. Make them smaller, lighter, reduce safety systems so they don't have to survive a mom in an Expedition drinking an iced latte and texting, and they'll be cheaper as a result. They might even be somewhat fun to drive.

Collision safety standards are usually based on hitting a fixed barrier, not another car.