Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

rantmo posted:

On this there can be no disagreement. That is probably my favorite single X-Men issue of all time.

It’s the perfect issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Just as a minor addendum to the prior discussion, Rosenberg's run being in 2018/19 is another factor against it compared to Austen for me, because it's so sloppy, clumsy and insensitive that it reflects poorly on the X-office as a whole.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Archyduchess posted:

Oh absolutely. I like Claremont's groundwork for Juggernaut, that he's essentially just too stupid to be good on his own-- he was given the power to barge through and break stuff, and can only really think to apply that in the most straightforward way possible unless otherwise directed by someone smarter or more willful. That Dazzler issue is great, as are all the issues from around that era (like that famous Spider-Man fight iirc) where he's just walking around trying to live his life as a regular dumb guy but huge and invincible. Nicieza touches on this in his X-Force as well, this idea that Juggernaut is not going to pick a fight he doesn't have to, because it's a waste of time.

I’ve always wanted to do a Juggernaught story where he is just sitting around at home and decides he needs money.

So he picks up a phone, makes a few phone calls and gets through to the department of Finance.

And he says that he wants one million dollars transferred to his bank account, or he will walk down to Wallstreet and pick a fight with some super heroes.

And you have the minor government guys saying it’s outrageous and that they will call the Avengers, but have the head bean counter say that they are paying the money.
Because there is no way that any superhero who fights him will end the fight before causing that much money in damages. And that if the fight goes ahead, it will impact the US economy far more than what he’s charging.

He’s basically a walking natural disaster. But one that you can pay to go away.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Metalshark posted:

Just as a minor addendum to the prior discussion, Rosenberg's run being in 2018/19 is another factor against it compared to Austen for me, because it's so sloppy, clumsy and insensitive that it reflects poorly on the X-office as a whole.

Yeah, this makes Rosenberg worse. It's not actively hateful, but it is very insensitive and it reflects poorly on the whole line to have a group of diverse and interesting authors working on Age of X-Man and the other X-related titles and also have this dude making characters kill themselves for shock value and the whole thing with Wolfsbane.

How is his Punisher? I only read the first issue and thought it was OK.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ZacBeThompson/status/1142167872338198528?s=19

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It only just came out in my country, and there's not a thread in CD anyway, so: what did everybody think of Dark Phoenix? I was pleasantly surprised by it, though admittedly my expectations were low. The script was about as bad, if not worse, than I was expecting, but everything else was really solid, so it kind of evened out. Everybody was making the best of what they were given; Cyclops and Storm, in particular, wring a whole lot out of their minimal screen time. Sophie Turner is wonderful. The fight scenes were on point and shockingly visceral. The main bad guys shrug off small arms fire but get chunks taken out of them by machine guns, and it's really gruesome, especially for PG-13. Magneto guts lots of people with sharp metal shards, and Nightcrawler (!) goes on a mini killing spree, stabbing some dudes, snapping the neck of another, and dealing with the last by teleporting him into an oncoming train. It's totally out of place, but the story was terrible anyway so it was nice to enjoy something about the movie.

All the characters decide that Jean must be dealt with, either lethally or non-, after she kills a maximum of three people. In the lethal camp is Magneto, who in the last movie destroyed the entire city of Cairo and in the movie before that spent the entire film trying to kill Mystique and presumably has not spoken to her since. The role of Jean's corrupter is replaced by the D'Bari, which is an inspired move and one the movie does absolutely nothing with. They are nothing characters.

At the beginning of the movie the X-Men are presented as popular heroes, only to have orders for their internment to be issued after Jean goes Dark Phoenix. There's a kernel of an interesting idea here, but it's not followed up on, and it seems incredibly off-base for mutants to be super popular ten years after Magneto destroyed Auschwitz and the entire city of Cairo, but for all that to be undone after Jean kills Mystique--and maybe only Mystique, those cops could pull through--and commits some property damage. Also, in the film series Magneto is still presumed to have killed JFK and was seconds away from shooting Richard Nixon live on television. The difference in magnitude in these movies is staggering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The general audience impression seems to be it’s not nearly as bad as the reviews make it out to be. And probably somewhere near the top of the ‘not good’ X-Men movies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s a 1/1000 variant, but I think this cover could be very telling.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sometimes I'm ambivalent about Hickman but I guess if anybody can figure out how to tell a decent Exodus story it would have to be him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s a 1/1000 variant, but I think this cover could be very telling.

Who's the dude in purple on the right?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

In a book called House of X, I’d definitely include Exodus in the House of M. Hellfire Club, Sinister, you have all the makings of some mutant Game of Thrones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Note: Emma Frost does not actually represent the North.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The most interesting thing is that Nighcrawler is there. He’s never been a leader, but more of a moral compass.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

The most interesting thing is that Nighcrawler is there. He’s never been a leader, but more of a moral compass.

He was de facto leader of Excalibur for a good stretch of time, led Technet during a memorable Excalibur subplot, briefly (I think) led the X-Men after Storm lost her powers, co-led the X-Men with Archangel during I want to say Austen or Casey's run, and was leader again during Claremont's third run in the mid-aughts.

He's not usually framed as a "leader-type" character like Cyclops or Mr. Fantastic or whoever, but there have been plenty of memorable and interesting stories about him having to put aside his flippant demeanor and lead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was the leader of Excalibur leading up to, during and after the Warren Ellis run.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
Nightcrawler leading the Technet is a wonderful, if brief, storyline. Read Alan Davis' Excalibur!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nightcrawler has a solo mini in the Age of X alternate universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Note: Emma Frost does not actually represent the North.

Note: Emma Frost does not have Ice powers....except when she is in a coma and takes over Bobby Drake’s body.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Who's the dude in purple on the right?

That's Exodus. He was a Big Deal for a hot minute in the 90's, who exemplified the 'glow-y eyes/power blast' generic powerful mutant. Lead the Acolytes for a while when Magneto was out of commission. I think his deal is he's actually super old (from the Crusades, maybe).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That's Exodus. He was a Big Deal for a hot minute in the 90's, who exemplified the 'glow-y eyes/power blast' generic powerful mutant. Lead the Acolytes for a while when Magneto was out of commission. I think his deal is he's actually super old (from the Crusades, maybe).

And originally his mutant power was supposed to be "can give himself whatever mutant power he wants."
But it quickly got rolled back to "generic psychic/laser eyes" powers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
God after reading war of realms x-man tie in all I can think is - can Hickman’s run start now? Also no way will the events of this issue stick

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Mr & Mrs X #12 was such a great finale, including nods to their pasts before and during KT's run, while also including some legit action scenes, particularly for Remy, and a really smooth set up for their future together. With their shared cats. :3:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah he was BFFs with the Black Knight of the 12th century (who Dane Whitman quantum leaped into twice) who went on a quest to find a magic tower but it turned out to be Apocalypse's pad, and their bromance was so strong Apocalypse couldn't turn Exodus against him so he put him in a magic coma instead until Magneto found him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

And originally his mutant power was supposed to be "can give himself whatever mutant power he wants."
But it quickly got rolled back to "generic psychic/laser eyes" powers.

I remember somebody commenting that during that span of the 90's you were either a massively powerful psionic (which equates to psychic/laser eyes) or really super specific, like being a living television transmitter in the case of one of the Upstarts.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dawgstar posted:

I remember somebody commenting that during that span of the 90's you were either a massively powerful psionic (which equates to psychic/laser eyes) or really super specific, like being a living television transmitter in the case of one of the Upstarts.

I love the really super specific powers.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
What is Rosenberg horrible run is actually a work to get us even more excited for Hickman? I'm gonna choose to believe and fall for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

moleman posted:

What is Rosenberg horrible run is actually a work to get us even more excited for Hickman? I'm gonna choose to believe and fall for that.

They should have just had the Age of X books running. They didn't try and have a normal universe X book at the same time as Age of Apocalypse and that's probably the most successful X event in terms of both sales and critical response.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

X-Tremists is one of the best X-books in years, and the side books like X-23 and Mr. and Mrs. X have been strong. It's not like the entire line was in a tail spin heading into this revamp, it's just that Rosenberg is on the flagship book for some reason instead of, I don't know, writing a Havoc solo book in the corner where he belongs. It's baffling. It's like they had no ideas for the centerpiece of the line but are just unwilling to not have it be published-- in which case why not make like Inferno and just have Age of X-Man, which has ranged from perfectly entertaining to phenomenal, take over the actual line instead of shunting it into a series of minis? Have the main plot play out in UXM, keep the side stories in miniseries, and just... don't bother putting out the ugly, forgettable, mess that is Rosenberg's tenure?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
even though it should surprise nobody from his absence in the UXM issues taking place after War of the Realms: UXM, Sunspot did not survive the experience

radlum
May 13, 2013
I sure am glad that many characters I like were in Age of X-Man instead of available for Rosenberg to kill. What an awful run on UXM (and the WotR tie-in) it has been; the Age of X-Man books would have been enough (this week's X-Tremists was pretty great; I loved Jubilee's thing about the feeling of not remembering where her son was).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

even though it should surprise nobody from his absence in the UXM issues taking place after War of the Realms: UXM, Sunspot did not survive the experience

hahahahahahahahaha gently caress everything

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

What's the total death-count from his run and how many of those deaths landed with any emotional impact or gravity at all? Off the top of my head I can think of:
Strong Guy
Rahne
Sunspot
Chamber
Sabretooth
Vanisher
Dark Beast
The Nasty Boys
The Marauders

It's so transparently setting itself up to be undone, but still, is this what Marvel thinks people want to read? I usually don't like to harp on comics I don't like when there are so many I do, but I'm just dumbfounded by his entire approach.

Edit: On top of Rahne's extraordinarily tacky trans-panic death a few months ago, this week also gave us a scene of Sabretooth salivating over the thought of "breaking" her. Just dismal stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

What's the total death-count from his run and how many of those deaths landed with any emotional impact or gravity at all? Off the top of my head I can think of:
Strong Guy
Rahne
Sunspot
Chamber
Sabretooth
Vanisher
Dark Beast
The Nasty Boys
The Marauders

It's so transparently setting itself up to be undone, but still, is this what Marvel thinks people want to read? I usually don't like to harp on comics I don't like when there are so many I do, but I'm just dumbfounded by his entire approach.

Edit: On top of Rahne's extraordinarily tacky trans-panic death a few months ago, this week also gave us a scene of Sabretooth salivating over the thought of "breaking" her. Just dismal stuff.

They killed Sabretooth? Jesus, yeah this entire thing is going to be undone by whatever happens at the end of the Age of X-Man thingie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

He had his head removed he will be better

The death in this weeks issue is even more hilarious since there is no way Hickman is going to keep him dead.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ugggh why.

I really hope Hickman revives him because he's one of his favorites.

Just make this whole run a nightmare sequence or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adnor posted:

Ugggh why.

I really hope Hickman revives him because he's one of his favorites.

Just make this whole run a nightmare sequence or something.

I keep saying they need to pull a Dallas resurrection.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So Wolverine has a daughter and I had to go around scavenging for Marvel Comics Presents which I never would have bothered doing if I didn't love me some Art Adams anyway. The one time I was in an actual comic shop months ago I saw MCP #1 with Wolverine and Monkeyman from Monkeyman and O'Brien on an Art Adams cover and had to have it, but then realized it wasn't Monkeyman just some Gorilla and figured I wouldn't be back in the shop regularly to buy an anthology series like that so I skipped it. It's funny to see these issues currently on ebay skyrocketing as the speculators frenzy. Comic shop owners pissed because Marvel gave them no heads up about a new character for a book with poor sales that I think is getting cancelled anyway, so they all sold out and there's already a 2nd printing that no one will buy because it won't be worth as much.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

davebo posted:

So Wolverine has a daughter and I had to go around scavenging for Marvel Comics Presents which I never would have bothered doing if I didn't love me some Art Adams anyway. The one time I was in an actual comic shop months ago I saw MCP #1 with Wolverine and Monkeyman from Monkeyman and O'Brien on an Art Adams cover and had to have it, but then realized it wasn't Monkeyman just some Gorilla and figured I wouldn't be back in the shop regularly to buy an anthology series like that so I skipped it. It's funny to see these issues currently on ebay skyrocketing as the speculators frenzy. Comic shop owners pissed because Marvel gave them no heads up about a new character for a book with poor sales that I think is getting cancelled anyway, so they all sold out and there's already a 2nd printing that no one will buy because it won't be worth as much.

I really doubt that story was meant as a setup for hot new character find of the year 2019, As Yet Unnamed Logan Daughter.

I'm a little more curious how she ended up blonde.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wanderer posted:

I'm a little more curious how she ended up blonde.

That was the first thing I said to my friend who told me today. But I guess she's magic and/or hair dye is a thing.

The article he sent me if anyone cares: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/27/wolverines-daughter-marvel-comics-presents-6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, I read a couple of the earlier chapters because I like Charles Soule.

It's not really set in the 616, as it's a generational story, with the conceit that it takes place roughly in real time. I'd have my doubts that Logan and Sylvie's daughter would cross over even if not for the major character deaths in the latest chapter.