Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I can't believe the amount of hours I spent in WoW when I was a young dorklord

Holy poo poo what a god drat waste

I will never get that time back gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I wasted 2 years playing everquest and I'd never play an mmo again but I definitely enjoyed my time with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

is he just "japanese fired" where they give him a nice corner office and give him things to do that don't affect the company, for example duplo blocks

or is he like fired fired, 首切った go work in purgatory at the company developing i am s*tsuna

They removed him from FFXIV against his will and re-assigned him to FFXI in a lesser position until in 2012 he left SE and has only been able to work as a freelance consultant for GungHo since then so pretty much Japanese fired and blacklisted

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 26, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

They removed him from FFXIV against his will and re-assigned him to FFXI in a lesser position until in 2012 he left SE and has only been able to work as a freelance consultant for GungHo since then so pretty much Japanese fired and blacklisted

FFXI does seem like it'd be Square's equivalent of the Siberian reassignment.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

Playing video games is always a waste of time but that's okay because that time is allocated for wasting. Admit it, you weren't gonna write a sonnet or invent a cure for cancer with that time anyway.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

FF11 iirc is basically an MMO made by people who had absolutely no idea how a MMO works or how people would play it.

Man if you thought that about FF11 you should have played launch FF14.

FF11 is actually one of the best MMO games I ever have played or will play. It's too bad it's evil.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah 11 wasn't bad, it was just a game that actively hated you and wanted you to die.

14 v1.0 was Bad.

e: bad enough that people who played 1.0 and stuck around into the relaunch were given monthly subscription discounts for life

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Barudak posted:

I dunno, openly loathing your playerbase apparently worked well enough he got to remake FF3 and develop FFXIV before finally getting fired

FF3 ds was good:c00lbutt:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

FF3 ds was good:c00lbutt:

agreed but the original was supposedly super-punishing as well so it fits the guy's MO

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

agreed but the original was supposedly super-punishing as well so it fits the guy's MO

The original is rough around the edges. The remake is a loving tire fire of decisions all designed to make the game actively worse in every facet from randomness, progression, encounter design, and making the games core gameplay feature a chore to use.

There isnt a way to justify the litany of changes made to the game unless your stated design objective is "Id like my game to be bad on as many axis as possible"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FF3 was an NES game. People didn't know better back then.

The people who made the DS version don't have an excuse.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The NES game is more fun and streamlined than the DS game.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Icochet posted:

Playing video games is always a waste of time but that's okay because that time is allocated for wasting. Admit it, you weren't gonna write a sonnet or invent a cure for cancer with that time anyway.

If you're doing strategy, managing things and solving puzzles this is good exercise that your brain will out to work solving other problems in other domains. If you're just doing daily quests and memorizing other peoples' boss stats you're definitely wasting your life

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i played the poo poo outta XIV v1.0 because at the time i was flying cross country twice a week for work and it was bad in exactly the correct, mindless, repetitive way that my frazzled and jetlagged existence could tolerate

i remember basically none of it

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

poverty goat posted:

If you're doing strategy, managing things and solving puzzles this is good exercise that your brain will out to work solving other problems in other domains. If you're just doing daily quests and memorizing other peoples' boss stats you're definitely wasting your life

Sir what qualifies you to be president?

*holds up printed screencap showing over 1000 europa universalis hours

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

playing video games is to brain exercise as crossfit is to real exercise

definitely better than huffing paint while staring at the wall but uhhhh

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I dunno I walk by a crossfit and their like lifting weights and stuff. Running around the block. Etc.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossfit is annoying AF for a million reasons, and often harmful due to bad form, but it is strenuous and will absolutely get you into shape.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I dunno I walk by a crossfit and their like lifting weights and stuff. Running around the block. Etc.

like any gym you can get a good workout there but a lot of centers are just temples of personal injury with a weird MLM-like attraction. crossfit is a meme in fitness circles for that reason

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

i played the poo poo outta XIV v1.0 because at the time i was flying cross country twice a week for work and it was bad in exactly the correct, mindless, repetitive way that my frazzled and jetlagged existence could tolerate

i remember basically none of it

that was me with Star Wars the Old Republic except I just had my wisdom teeth out and had a ton of pain medication. Had a max level bounty hunter that I had no idea how to play when the meds ran out

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yea and i do the same thing. but in gta san andreas

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fried Watermelon posted:

that was me with Star Wars the Old Republic except I just had my wisdom teeth out and had a ton of pain medication. Had a max level bounty hunter that I had no idea how to play when the meds ran out

That game had a lot of problems, but it was still fun to go around as a sith and make the Good choices because everyone just assumes that just means that whatever you're really up to is so much worse than they can even imagine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Old Republic was a game that tried to be a singleplayer RPG and an MMO at the same time. It had a identity crisis. Depending on your perspective it was either some decent Bioware Star Wars stuff with annoying MMO mechanics in the way, or a decent casual MMO with a bunch of story stuff for no reason.

The Agent story was pretty good. Should have just made that into it's own game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What I'm saying is gently caress this Fallen Order game that's coming out, where's my Star Wars: Imperial Agent game????

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Collapsing Farts posted:

I played it up to wrath and don't regret a moment. I never raided. These facts may be related.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I played an ungodly amount of WoW when I was a young dorklord. I hit a year /played on my main before TBC came out. I DID raid a ton, usually 5 nights per week, and I do not regret a moment.

I was poor and underemployed though, and WoW was CHEAP entertainment, which I parlayed into a job working for Blizzard CS, worked my way up and got poached to another major company that pays very, very well and has comfortable hours and great benefits. So, YMMV.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I don't regret my MMO hours because I enjoyed them and usually did them when I was poor or had a LOT of free time and not much else to do. College I threw most of my little money at alcohol, drugs, and dates and that left very little leftover bucks to spend on anything else. It was also very difficult to get to campus so I decided to just game a fuckton when I wasn't doing things with people.

Then again my total time played on WoW and FFXIV since I started in 2009 is something like 3500 hours, which I'm aware is way less than a lot of people's annual MMO playtime.

All things are good in moderation.

Except for all Battle Royale games which are bad and unfun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t know if this would actually be an unpopular opinion with people who play games, but what I can tell it certainly would be with devs

Using stamina to run in open world games is the stupidest poo poo ever. Like, having to walk slowly for ten seconds every 30 seconds when you are just running around trying to get from point a to b sucks rear end and I can’t believe how many games do this. If it’s actually integral to the combat somehow (it rarely is) just trigger stamina drain while an enemy is aggroed or something. I shouldn’t have to take periodical breaks while I’m trying to run a hundred feet to pick up a turkey leg up off the ground or whatever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

The Old Republic was a game that tried to be a singleplayer RPG and an MMO at the same time. It had a identity crisis. Depending on your perspective it was either some decent Bioware Star Wars stuff with annoying MMO mechanics in the way, or a decent casual MMO with a bunch of story stuff for no reason.

The Agent story was pretty good. Should have just made that into it's own game.

I played a Smuggler to max level, the story was fun Han Solo poo poo and honestly wasn't bad at all, was better than the story in Solo to be honest

like all of these other jedi characters are worried about planet-destroying superweapons and you're all "how do I get my ship back from these gangsters???" and then eventually you become like an underworld kingpin

at the time there was only 1 raid, and later they added a 2nd. All of the high-end smuggler gear was various cowboy outfits, including huge-brim cowboy hats, some of which I recall had sequins. So you'd show up in a population center with your glittery cowboy outfit and be the belle of the ball

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

Using stamina to run in open world games is the stupidest poo poo ever. Like, having to walk slowly for ten seconds every 30 seconds when you are just running around trying to get from point a to b sucks rear end and I can’t believe how many games do this. If it’s actually integral to the combat somehow (it rarely is) just trigger stamina drain while an enemy is aggroed or something. I shouldn’t have to take periodical breaks while I’m trying to run a hundred feet to pick up a turkey leg up off the ground or whatever.

same. i probably don't have the right to say this because my preferred pace has been described as "plodding" by various users but imo devs should try to make their walking/jogging speed fast enough for players to not even need a sprint. sprint should be maybe an emergency or tactical option, almost like a blink dash or something, so fast you wouldn't like to use it in normal exploration but actually useful in combat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

I played it up to wrath and don't regret a moment. I never raided. These facts may be related.

Yeah I had fun with wow and I don't mind that I spent time with it, it's no different from other games after all. I enjoyed normal instances a lot but I tried onyxia and molten core once and realized I don't really want to follow orders given by some Greek man over ventrilo so I just lost interest at that point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I had fun with wow and I don't mind that I spent time with it, it's no different from other games after all. I enjoyed normal instances a lot but I tried onyxia and molten core once and realized I don't really want to follow orders given by some Greek man over ventrilo so I just lost interest at that point.

i had a college roommate who, he was a chill guy but he was part of a fairly serious raiding guild on an RP server during the onyxia era and i tell you the drama within his own guild was more gripping than an episode of maury with four belligerent potential dads who insist the kid can't possibly be theirs. and sometimes more shocking than finding out that none of them in fact is the father

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

I played a Smuggler to max level, the story was fun Han Solo poo poo and honestly wasn't bad at all, was better than the story in Solo to be honest

like all of these other jedi characters are worried about planet-destroying superweapons and you're all "how do I get my ship back from these gangsters???" and then eventually you become like an underworld kingpin

at the time there was only 1 raid, and later they added a 2nd. All of the high-end smuggler gear was various cowboy outfits, including huge-brim cowboy hats, some of which I recall had sequins. So you'd show up in a population center with your glittery cowboy outfit and be the belle of the ball

So what you're saying is you can be the space cowboy and the gangster of love

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So what you're saying is you can be the space cowboy and the gangster of love

yes

the game also requires that you be a joker, a smoker, and a midnight toker

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t know if this would actually be an unpopular opinion with people who play games, but what I can tell it certainly would be with devs

I was going to write an argument against this but then I remembered pubg has unlimited sprint and it's a loving dream (or at least it was before they ruined the game) so yeah I totally agree with you actually

my unpopular opinion: the extra maps ruined pubg. Miramar was a good map but the effect it had on the game by fracturing the playerbase literally killed it in the long run (then they made it worse by adding two more!)

it worked best running in moba style where it was a very focused experience. one map. one set of guns. everyone knows every god drat INCH of that map.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just do what loving Mario does and let you switch movement speeds

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

i had a college roommate who, he was a chill guy but he was part of a fairly serious raiding guild on an RP server during the onyxia era and i tell you the drama within his own guild was more gripping than an episode of maury with four belligerent potential dads who insist the kid can't possibly be theirs. and sometimes more shocking than finding out that none of them in fact is the father

Yeah that was the best part of guilds, I didn't really raid but I stayed in my guild anyway to watch people fight. I remember some guy from Iceland and his girlfriend were in there, and she left him over some wow poo poo at some point.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Iconoclasts has one of the very best soundtracks of all times

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
here have a videogame music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6xlrqUC6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cities Skylines kind of sucks and Simcity 4 is way better.