Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Apparently Shatner is enough of an /r/drama queen he got himself banned from the sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't Shatner's Twitter and probably entire online persona actually his daughter or granddaughter?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

davidspackage posted:

Isn't Shatner's Twitter and probably entire online persona actually his daughter or granddaughter?

Yes, Melanie Shatner runs his online presence.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I wish they'd have split the Klingons into three groups: 1) regular every day Klingons who aren't all that different from humans, but you don't really see them that much so you don't have to worry about them, 2) the rank and file in the military, who are basically the drunken brawlers barely held in check by the officer class, and 3) the officers who run the ships and government, who have the veneer of dignity, honor, and the Worf-level "Klingon-ness" over top of their drunken brawler identity.

So, something like the Royal Navy in the 18th century?

This is literally what happens on the show.

Hell, you get all three represented by the three Klingons in that DS9 episode where they go kill the Albino.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
During the short time I followed his Twitter, it was constant rants about lesbian shipping fanfic on Once Upon a Time and talking about the hot guy on Outlander. Exactly what I would assume a guy in his 80s would be posting about.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drone posted:

Reading that Snape killed Dumbledore

God dammit...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zesty posted:

This is literally what happens on the show.

Hell, you get all three represented by the three Klingons in that DS9 episode where they go kill the Albino.

Not really. They're all sort of #2.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Just got out of what we left behind. The UK cinema debut was today I guess. Anyway it was good, but uhh,I kind of wish it was more about ds9 and less about ira. If that makes sense.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apparently the basis of this is an r/drama joke where they banned a bunch of their users. So in addition to Shatner never actually being on Twitter, this is the epitome of a non-story.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What's the deal with federation colonial policy anyway? If a bunch of people were like "actually, we like money, keeping women down and the rule of violence, can we has our own planet?" does the federation just go "yeah no problem" and drop them off somewhere?

I'm pretty sure colonies like Turkana IV were established before the Federation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nodosaur posted:

You're right about the Jem'Hadar, but at the same time, "least terrible option" is still a terrible option. We're still talking about chemical weapons, implied on a global scale, with the indication that evacuation would have to begin immediately. Humankind has trouble employing that kind of thing locally, you think a low key rebellion is going to do the same?

The fact that Eddington did the same thing and it's generally accepted that he should be condemned for it is proof enough that Sisko's actions aren't any better. War crimes shouldn't be an eye-for-an-eye thing.

So, in your view, it would have been better for Sisko to let the Maquis run around and bomb every Cardassian colony, rather than bomb one Maquis colony to get them to back off? Why do the Cardassian lives matter less than those of the Maquis?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tears In A Vial posted:

Just got out of what we left behind. The UK cinema debut was today I guess. Anyway it was good, but uhh,I kind of wish it was more about ds9 and less about ira. If that makes sense.

Still sitting in the post-docu roundtable thing, and, uh, you’re not wrong.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tears In A Vial posted:

His face does take up like 75% of the poster.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ire Bear.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Apparently the basis of this is an r/drama joke where they banned a bunch of their users. So in addition to Shatner never actually being on Twitter, this is the epitome of a non-story.

Okay, USS Sodomy Hussein

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

So, in your view, it would have been better for Sisko to let the Maquis run around and bomb every Cardassian colony, rather than bomb one Maquis colony to get them to back off? Why do the Cardassian lives matter less than those of the Maquis?

We're talking about the deployment of chemical weapons here. I'm not saying the Maquis were justified either, but these are decisions the writers made, and they chose to create a scenario where the only answer was to counter terrorism with atrocity. That ceases to be commentary on difficult choices people in command has to make and more playing what if with horrifying things that have happened in real life and not giving proper respect to their severity. The premise itself is the problem, and Sisko's character suffers for it.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Still sitting in the post-docu roundtable thing, and, uh, you’re not wrong.

That was such a buzzkill at the end. Like everyone was laughing at the song, then the place exploded with nana visitors "best" ds9 moment, then it gets real dark and everyone gets ready to leave.. then we had to watch two minutes of content stretched over fifteen minutes of dry talking as people were debating whether or not to just leave and go pee.

Should have just left that as dvd bonus content

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We should probably take into consideration that "chemical weapons" as a broad category means something much different with 24th century magic federation tech

This was precisely targeted and capable of having zero long term effects with what seems like an impossible degree of certainty.

In that case, categorically making "chemical" attacks worse than orbital bombardment or extended phaser firefights, or whatever the "conventional"option would be seems a bit dogmatic

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

William Shatner doesn't know how to use a smartphone or a computer, he's a brain worms 88 year old. Anytime you see "him" on Twitter or wherever online, it's his daughter, who is apparently equally brain worms

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 27, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mad cow.

Denny Crane!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tears In A Vial posted:

That was such a buzzkill at the end. Like everyone was laughing at the song, then the place exploded with nana visitors "best" ds9 moment, then it gets real dark and everyone gets ready to leave.. then we had to watch two minutes of content stretched over fifteen minutes of dry talking as people were debating whether or not to just leave and go pee.

I had no idea there was anything after the credits song so we left

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tears In A Vial posted:

I chose to go and pee.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had no idea there was anything after the credits song so we left

I just listened to the Greatest Gen review of it, one of the hosts got the stuff at the end, the other didn't.

At the screening I went to, there was a video at the beginning of Ira saying stick around at the end for a roundtable discussion. If you didn't see that, I guess there was nothing after the credits for you.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FuturePastNow posted:

William Shatner doesn't know how to use a smartphone of a computer, he's a brain worms 88 year old. Anytime you see "him" on Twitter or wherever online, it's his daughter, who is apparently equally brain worms

Does she know she really hurts his reputation with the online antics 'he' does?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tears In A Vial posted:

I just listened to the Greatest Gen review of it, one of the hosts got the stuff at the end, the other didn't.

At the screening I went to, there was a video at the beginning of Ira saying stick around at the end for a roundtable discussion. If you didn't see that, I guess there was nothing after the credits for you.
My wife and I got in a couple minutes after it started so I'm sure we missed that message

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

He's an 88 year old rich, white actor. He doesn't give a fuuuuuuck.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sash! posted:

Not really. They're all sort of #2.

Wow, racist.

Nah. Dahar master was very Honorable. Kor was very drunkard. I can't remember the personality of the other one so he must have been a dull human-like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zesty posted:

Wow, racist.

Nah. Dahar master was very Honorable. Kor was very drunkard. I can't remember the personality of the other one so he must have been a dull human-like.
Kor was the Dahar master....Koloth was the quiet one, Kang wasn't that memorable

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kibayasu posted:

He's an 88 year old rich, white actor. He doesn't give a fuuuuuuck.

On the other hand, I can definitely see him soliciting his daughter to “do that thing Takei does” after hearing that in the 2010s people care more about George Takei than William Shatner

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

His face does take up like 75% of the poster.

After seeing that poster, color me shocked that it's a haigiography to Ira. :rolleyes:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thom12255 posted:

I don't know if he's still mentally competent or not, but if he is I assume they're both ok with it

and if he isn't, well, what can you do?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That makes it looks like Marina Sirtis and Gates McFadden are dead

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because any sufficiently-sized group of women are all lesbians?

I don't get that at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Have Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew stopped hating each other? I keep seeing pictures of them laughing and getting along at conventions.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

yaaay :shobon:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Can't stop thinking about how bad Ira's blue beard is

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What's the deal with federation colonial policy anyway? If a bunch of people were like "actually, we like money, keeping women down and the rule of violence, can we has our own planet?" does the federation just go "yeah no problem" and drop them off somewhere?

Tighclops posted:

I mean it's really lovely but that makes some sense to me, it's probably easier and more cost effective to just help the idiots out into the howling dark where they'll either destroy themselves or get wiped out by some passing anomaly/godthing/totalitarian regime, rather than keeping them in the Federation where they'll do their best to gently caress up whatever everyone else tries to build

Having watched the TNG Casual Irish Racism + Clone Kidnapping episode yesterday morning I'm basically convinced, mostly because every Federation colony we see in TNG is about two seconds from A. imploding B. exploding or C. civil war, that colonization in the Federation is exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DS9 is just the story of what happens when the lunatic settlers outnumber the humanists.