Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zipperelli. posted:

can you bring your mom to the next goon meet? she sounds loving rad

Learn from the sad, cautionary tale of Microwave and never let goons meet your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you seriously think that they don't know how bad conditions are? It's all over the drat news! People are being brought up before judges to defend it!

Like, this isn't some mystery. There's not a secret code that will unlock their brains. All of the information about reality is right there and freely given. If someone puts themselves in a bubble where the asylum-seeking immigrants are actually filthy illegals trying to steal jobs and welfare, the camps are just like summer camp with games and clean beds for the kids, and we should scare them into not coming to the border anyway, do you honestly think that you're going to make them reconsider after telling them basic facts?

I want you to actually go up to someone who's fine with the camps (maybe try a Facebook comment section) and do what you're claiming. Try to reason with the people who are saying concentration camps are actually a good thing and they're not even concentration camps anyway. Come back and tell us how it went.

All over which news? How is this being framed on Fox News, for example? I think it's dangerous to pretend that these people are just innately bad people who choose to be uncaring sociopaths rather than victims of a massively powerful and efficient propaganda system.

I'm not arguing that we should start debating randos in Facebook comment sections, that certainly does not change minds. My point is more that if you know someone who's espousing worrying beliefs, it's worth trying to talk to them in private to understand why they hold those beliefs and see if they might be open to considering new perspectives. Even then it might not work a lot of the time, changing someone's mind is never easy, but I maintain that it's still worth the effort rather than just designating anyone holding certain opinions lost causes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
But if we are mean to racists, we may leave them with no options save embracing Nazi ideology!!!

If you aren't aware that poo poo is hosed in 2019, I literally cannot conceive of an argument that will reach you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

felch me daddy jr. posted:

All over which news? How is this being framed on Fox News, for example? I think it's dangerous to pretend that these people are just innately bad people who choose to be uncaring sociopaths rather than victims of a massively powerful and efficient propaganda system.

I'm not arguing that we should start debating randos in Facebook comment sections, that certainly does not change minds. My point is more that if you know someone who's espousing worrying beliefs, it's worth trying to talk to them in private to understand why they hold those beliefs and see if they might be open to considering new perspectives. Even then it might not work a lot of the time, changing someone's mind is never easy, but I maintain that it's still worth the effort rather than just designating anyone holding certain opinions lost causes.

There's nowhere in the US that people aren't able to hear other narratives and non-propaganda news, if they only hear Fox News racist perspectives, then it's because they choose to. Perhaps because that's what they like hearing. Perhaps because they are racist fucks.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

anyone holding certain opinions [is definitely a] lost cause

No it's the "these people are just innately bad people who choose to be uncaring sociopaths" and you should absolutely declare them a lost cause.
Your position, while laudable, is naiive in the face of contemporary fascism; and they will absolutely abuse your good faith to put a veneer of acceptability and legitimacy on their opinions

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheMaskedUgly posted:

No it's the "these people are just innately bad people who choose to be uncaring sociopaths" and you should absolutely declare them a lost cause.
Your position, while laudable, is naiive in the face of contemporary fascism; and they will absolutely abuse your good faith to put a veneer of acceptability and legitimacy on their opinions

I don't think they're innately bad, but willfully bad. There are so many people who when faced with an argument or even genuine fact will just, with complete and utter honesty, say something along the lines of "That's just social justice garbage." and ignore reality. My own parents have gotten increasingly more and more racist since Obama's second term leading into Trump to now - and there's zero discussion with them or anyone like them. Anything that doesn't already line up with their viewpoints simply isn't real. These are people who seriously think trump is "A Good Businessman." And that's why "He's a good president!"

These are the same kind of people who will go online and demand everyone debate them in rational facts over feelings 1v1 honor duels or whatever, but melt the gently caress down and resort to throwing insult laden temper tantrums the moment they're criticized or rebuked in any way shape or form. It's some bizarre brainworms and it's just not worth the amount of energy it takes to give a poo poo about them anymore, they're not going to change and they don't want to change. But they'll be the first ones to blame you for not changing them when things go wrong.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nuebot posted:

I don't think they're innately bad, but willfully bad. There are so many people who when faced with an argument or even genuine fact will just, with complete and utter honesty, say something along the lines of "That's just social justice garbage." and ignore reality. My own parents have gotten increasingly more and more racist since Obama's second term leading into Trump to now - and there's zero discussion with them or anyone like them. Anything that doesn't already line up with their viewpoints simply isn't real. These are people who seriously think trump is "A Good Businessman." And that's why "He's a good president!"

These are the same kind of people who will go online and demand everyone debate them in rational facts over feelings 1v1 honor duels or whatever, but melt the gently caress down and resort to throwing insult laden temper tantrums the moment they're criticized or rebuked in any way shape or form. It's some bizarre brainworms and it's just not worth the amount of energy it takes to give a poo poo about them anymore, they're not going to change and they don't want to change. But they'll be the first ones to blame you for not changing them when things go wrong.

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ever have someone say "fake news" in response to everything you tell them? When you show them other sources than Fox News they just say it's fake and ignore you?

Now you tell me how you're going to logic someone out of that.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Wait till you find out that 'It is preferable for things to be logical, and things being illogical is a mark against them' is not a sentiment widely held in many places

chitoryu12 posted:

Now you tell me how you're going to logic someone out of that.

no why

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/husbandsrevenge/status/1144216774575083520

e: lol
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1144231747296661504

zoux has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Jun 27, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah there are a lot pf really dumb people out there.

Not sure why you brought it up tho.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Certain Opinions

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1144003663209402368?s=21

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:qq:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I think everyone would gladly trade the Phantom Menace for less concentration camps in America

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

I think everyone would gladly trade the Phantom Menace for less concentration camps in America

The Phantom Menace certainly concentrated Americans in theaters!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/eddyburback/status/1143891987256549377

And from me: a yikes, dog.

https://twitter.com/TonyPaul45/status/1111637207058657280

I've never seen such powerful Truck Guy energy

zoux has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jun 27, 2019

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Nuebot posted:

Fishstick posted:

“Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Recently I got someone who was sea lioning, if that's still a term, on facebook, talking about his logic and so forth ("I am not seeing intelligent responses. I am seeing a lot of emotional responses" and "I’m one of those folks that doesn’t fit neatly into any one box", dear lord). When he finally posted some sources for his arguments, he decided to ignore me when I yelled at him for posting insultingly bad articles (seriously, one article linked to a completely unrelated article as evidence). I was trying to find his sore spot and lean on it until he started flipping out, but it didn't really work (it did work once before- the person got mad and then tried to friend me on facebook, wtf). At least now I can recognize his name if I run into him again online and maybe continue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

trickybiscuits posted:

Recently I got someone who was sea lioning, if that's still a term, on facebook, talking about his logic and so forth ("I am not seeing intelligent responses. I am seeing a lot of emotional responses" and "I’m one of those folks that doesn’t fit neatly into any one box", dear lord).

I loving hate the people who try to use "logic vs. emotion" in a debate. It's always conveniently about them using logic to justify something horrific with no empathy for other people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can't get them to be upset about the holes/flaws in their logic because they don't care. It's all a rhetorical smoke screen. I was that annoying leftist that argued on facebook for years against his Libertarian/right winger friends before I realized it. But it's absolutely not worth it, no matter how much time or energy you put in, no matter how kind or thoughtful you are in your replies, and no matter how much you absolutely disprove/disrupt every single aspect of their argument. They don't have a position, they only have anti-positions, the reasoning for which shifts as necessary to avoid ever being able to be told that they're wrong.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

chitoryu12 posted:

I loving hate the people who try to use "logic vs. emotion" in a debate. It's always conveniently about them using logic to justify something horrific with no empathy for other people.

Literally the hitler "growing up to do" comic

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Captain Monkey posted:

You can't get them to be upset about the holes/flaws in their logic because they don't care. It's all a rhetorical smoke screen. I was that annoying leftist that argued on facebook for years against his Libertarian/right winger friends before I realized it. But it's absolutely not worth it, no matter how much time or energy you put in, no matter how kind or thoughtful you are in your replies, and no matter how much you absolutely disprove/disrupt every single aspect of their argument. They don't have a position, they only have anti-positions, the reasoning for which shifts as necessary to avoid ever being able to be told that they're wrong.

There was a good YouTube video about this phenomenon where a right winger can just parrot talking points, prompting the other person to give a long counter argument . This just gets followed by another quip, which gets a long winded counter argument and so on.

What ends up happening is that it takes far more WORK to debunk what they are saying, and the whole time you are trying to do so the other person is making it look like they are winning the argument by giving such terse responses.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://theoutline.com/post/7083/the-magical-thinking-of-guys-who-love-logic

quote:

This will be unsurprising to those who often engage with the wider online right, whether it is with someone who identifies as alt-right, libertarian, conservative, as a fan of the “Intellectual Dark Web,” or even “moderate” or “centrist” (turns out a lot of people online are self-identifying as moderate while also believing in conspiracies about “white genocide”). Although their beliefs may not be identical, there are common, distinct patterns in the way they speak (or type) that one can’t help but notice.

Specifically, these guys — and they are usually guys — love using terms like “logic.” They will tell you, over and over, how they love to use logic, and how the people they follow online also use logic. They are also massive fans of declaring that they have “facts,” that their analysis is “unbiased,” that they only use “‘reason” and “logic” and not “emotions” to make decisions. The hosts of the popular leftist podcast Chapo Trap House even titled their book The Chapo Guide to Revolution: A Manifesto Against Logic, Facts and Reason as a wink and nod to this tendency.

These words are usually used interchangeably and without regard to their proper usage, squished together in a vague Play-Doh ball of smug superiority, to be thrown wherever possible at their “emotional” and “irrational” enemies: feminists, Marxists, liberals, SJWs, and definitely the feminist Marxist liberal SJWs. You could call these men’s way of viewing the world in simple “me smart, you dumb” dichotomies Manichean, or even Derridean, if you really want to upset them by referencing a philosopher that they’ve heard is very bad.

i've found an effective response to these people is "if you have to tell people that you're intelligent, then you aren't. it should be obvious from your words alone". or just start roasting them because they'll jump into that pit real quick

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Panfilo posted:

There was a good YouTube video about this phenomenon where a right winger can just parrot talking points, prompting the other person to give a long counter argument . This just gets followed by another quip, which gets a long winded counter argument and so on.

What ends up happening is that it takes far more WORK to debunk what they are saying, and the whole time you are trying to do so the other person is making it look like they are winning the argument by giving such terse responses.

Yeah the lizard brain eventually splits a "debate" into an active party and a reactive party. Regardless of the arguments made. The brain sees the winner as the one constantly attacking and not the one defending.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TonyRomm/status/1144274666628014082

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1144274230261014528

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Next step is to reply to every Trump no-no tweet with

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Jun 27, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m going to confess I hate the phrase “you did a”

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just goddamn ban him from Twitter and all other social media. It's not that hard.

("But but but but but my advertisement moneyyyyyyy :qq:" cries @Jack.)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Let's Go Chubs

https://twitter.com/GJRockies/status/1144279605869572096?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I’m going to confess I hate the phrase “you did a”

https://twitter.com/First_Dog_USA/status/1144067534372691968

Here you can see one candidate doing a mean

Also lol brands
https://twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1144283018825277440

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jun 27, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How dare a hispanic man have a visible reaction to a white man attempting to speak Spanish on live television.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
O'Rourke is a clown who has no business running for President when he couldn't even beat Ted Cruz in Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

How dare a hispanic man have a visible reaction to a white man attempting to speak Spanish on live television.

Nobody tell this guy about the country of Spain.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyRomm/status/1144274666628014082

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1144274230261014528

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Next step is to reply to every Trump no-no tweet with

Same. Especially in this context it feels like the kind of memey way of speaking "diminishes" the statement, for lack of a better word. Kind of in the same way I feel about the "oopsy-woopsy, we made a fucky-wucky" error pages. Just say the loving thing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

God drat what a curveball.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Seedge posted:

I am interested in seeing stupidity.

OK. I'll try to keep it short.

The assertion is that Ilhan Omar's second husband, Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, is actually her brother and the two married so he would be eligible to apply for US citizenship/a green card. Snopes points out some problems with this:

-How did one of Omar's siblings end up in Britain when his father went to the US?
-If Elmi were Omar's brother, he was already eligible for citizenship/permanent residency
-Elmi did not seek a green card or citizenship in the US and eventually returned to Britain

A major part of the argument is based on Somali naming traditions and the fact that Omar's father, Nur Omar Mohamed, apparently also goes by Nur Said and signed a petition as Nur Said Elmi Mohamed, and that when Elmi went to high school in Minnesota he stayed with someone he called his father called Nur Said Elmi Mohamed; therefore, Omar's father is also Elmi's father. But Omar's full name is Ilhan Abdullahi Omar. So how can she be Nur Omar Mohamed's/Nur Said Elmi Mohamed's daughter with a name like that? Apparently the naming tradition is . . . flexible. Also I don't put it past the person who found this out to either have done lousy research or reached faulty conclusions.

Finally, if people knew that a brother and sister were marrying, why wouldn't they stop them? Why wouldn't this be common knowledge? Why would it be acceptable when marrying a sibling is explicitly forbidden in the Koran? The whole thing is moronic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Nobody tell this guy about the country of Spain.

If O'Rourke had a perfect Castilian accent I don't think Castro would have looked at him like that.

He might have also gave that look less because O'Rourke was speaking Spanish and more because he was speaking Spanish to avoid answering a relatively direct question.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Skwirl posted:

He might have also gave that look less because O'Rourke was speaking Spanish and more because he was speaking Spanish to avoid answering a relatively direct question.

It's this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it's because Julian dithered around for years waiting for just the perfect opportunity to run while ignoring the dire condition of his state party and its desperate need for good candidates for statewide office so he can get on a ticket based on DNC dreams of Blue Texas but now this motherfucker comes along and

Also it's a screenshot, who the gently caress knows if Castro was mean mugging or just mid blink. (Not me, I'm not watching debates in June 2019)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Zoux there's no logical reason to stan for Beto!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not a Beto stan at all.