Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wild T posted:

I always took that as the terminator not caring enough to kill the guy right away. It tosses him away the way a person would move a piece of vegetation out of their path, but the guy keeps coming back for more. Eventually he proves to be a tenacious enough distraction for the terminator to decide "alright, fucker" and put him through a wall to get him to stop. [...]

That's why muscles boyfriend gets smacked around the bedroom a few times, but the movie makes it very clear that if the terminator ever managed to get one hand on Sarah, she's finished.

Well no; the robot was attempting to quietly crush the guy’s skull with one punch, so that he could then sneak up on the woman (who he believed might be Sarah Connor!). The Terminator misses, he’s caught off guard, gets beaned with a lamp, causes a big noisy mess and very nearly botches the whole mission.

The robots in Terminator have never been good at hand-to-hand combat. We’re talking about a computer that takes a good ten seconds of processing just to call a guy an rear end in a top hat. They’re clumsy and stupid.

They also have very poor vision, which Sarah takes advantage of at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Well the whole idea with Terminators is that they're supposed to be like, shock-and-awe brute force assassins. That's why Skynet has a bunch of Termi-Tanks and Termi-Jets bombing around in the future to fight on the frontlines. Like it's important to remember that Skynet is a tool that made more tools to do very specific tasks. The Arnie model wasn't designed to be a smooth operator; it was designed to make it past a checkpoint and unload on a bunch of unarmed sewer people with a laser minigun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tart Kitty posted:

Well the whole idea with Terminators is that they're supposed to be like, shock-and-awe brute force assassins. [...] The Arnie model wasn't designed to be a smooth operator; it was designed to make it past a checkpoint and unload on a bunch of unarmed sewer people with a laser minigun.

The mistake is in seeing it as a deliberate design, like Skynet could have created a better robot and just decided not to.

The elephant in the room is that this much-hyped ultimate robot killer is blatantly way less effective than a human assassin would have been with the same mission. Skynet can’t send a human assassin, of course, because there’s nobody stupid enough. So it‘s stuck using this thing: a marginal improvement on a rubber dummy.

What’s ‘scary’ about the terminator, to the extent that it’s scary at all, is its dead-eyed stupidity. You can’t reason with a terminator because it’s just too incurious. It will not stop, ever, until you are dead, because it’s too dumb to do anything else.

The bulletproof bones, pain tolerance, etc. - those features are there to compensate for the painfully slow reaction times, tactical ineptitude, trouble moving in close quarters, etc.

Arnold puts a laser-dot sight on his gun because he can’t aim too well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Couldn't Skynet also just fight the future war and send intel back to itself how it lost and not bother with time travel assassins? They always send out the terminator, the resistance never stops them from doing it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tenzarin posted:

Couldn't Skynet also just fight the future war and send intel back to itself how it lost and not bother with time travel assassins? They always send out the terminator, the resistance never stops them from doing it.

The TV series does this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

This was the plot of the villains in noted good movie and goon favourite 'Edge of Tomorrow'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hope Nu Terminator references

Facebook

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Because sending stuff back in time causes a time paradox even in the first movie, it's generally implied and then more or less outright stated by Genisys that every time something goes back in time in Terminator, it creates a new alternate reality, rather than altering a single continuous timeline under the control of any given character/thing.

That is to say, when someone goes back in time, they don't form a loop, they create a new timeline with their interference, while in the original timeline they came from, whatever was happening in the time they traveled from still happens.

If it helps, the original John Connor from Terminator 1 doesn't exist in the future, he exists in an alternate reality from which Kyle Reese then appears, loving up a second reality.

If you care to subscribe to any of that anyway. I would say it makes more sense than a single timeline in which the resistance and Skynet are just flooding the timeline with rival terminators:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

What, no, even without the deleted scenes (which aren't necessary; the implications are clear from robot parts being left around even before T2 came out), T-1 is a closed loop/grandfather paradox on its own. Part of the pathos is the fact that John is so hardcore/desperate that he's willing to coach his own father to fall for his mom and then send him back to his death. Basically the (J)esus (C)hrist character does the reversal of the Bible; the son sends the father as a willing sacrifice to save humanity.

Then, each successive movie changed the time travel rules somewhat to fit whatever that particular movie was. And the show just has a temporal war with like 4 different factions.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The films all follow the same rules. T1 has a loop, then T2 shows what happens when you change the loop: Arnold destroys the chip, so now there are liquid metal dudes instead of skeleton dudes.

Someone, of course, must still manufacture skeleton dudes in order for the two Arnolds to go back in time and kill Kyle Reese and themselves. That's why every subsequent Arnold skeleton has a subtly different design: they're not being made with the same chip, possibly not even made by Cyberdyne.

These changes progressively stack up until you reach T5 and Kyle Reese is really buff, Skynet is effortlessly defeated, etc.

Then there's a more radical change of the loop, where John Connor gets erased from history.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 27, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Personally I've always subscribed to the idea that even the original isn't a closed loop and that Reese's inferior DNA is what resulted in the lame, sarcastic rear end in a top hat Edward Furlong Connor of T2. No way that dude ends up leading humanity to victory.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Basebf555 posted:

Personally I've always subscribed to the idea that even the original isn't a closed loop and that Reese's inferior DNA is what resulted in the lame, sarcastic rear end in a top hat Edward Furlong Connor of T2. No way that dude ends up leading humanity to victory.

They sent the wrong Bean, Sean would have sired their savior and then he'd have died like a boss.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

Well that’s the trick of the ever-changing loop.

From T1 to the start of T5, a guy named Kyle Reese must eventually go back in time, but it doesn’t have to be done the same way each time. In fact, we’re shown that it isn’t; there are at least four different variants of Reese’s backstory either shown or implied.

We just need a guy calling himself Reese to go back and tell Sarah Connor that her kid will be a messianic figure named John. This is the self-fulfilling prophecy: Sarah now begins training John in combat, teaches him to hack computers, tells him to find Kyle Reese, etc.

But to answer Sarah’s question at the end of T1, it really doesn’t matter if she tells John about his father or not. A John Connor is already fated to exist, no matter what she does.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 27, 2019

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What if the dog in the photo was named after Sarah's favorite country singer and this was one big whoopsie-daisy the whole time. We see in future scenes that the biggest threat to Skynet and their infiltration units are canines so it makes sense that the good boy sat next to Sarah in the photograph is clearly the true leader of the resistance and the real target all along.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
welp

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/07/terminator-dark-fate-director-mackenzie-davis-scare-closeted-misogynists

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lmao it begins

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So the rest of us are just gonna be bored? Well that sucks.

e: Apparently it'll actually be "gangbusters" for everyone else. Still think we're getting the short end on this one.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 11, 2019

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Ghostbusters 2016 marketing strategy has begun.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Powerful curse

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So this is happening

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1151917356492324865?s=12

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasn't there some rumor that Furlong is there in one of the opening scenes and a Terminator comes in and just blows him away? Because if that actually does happen I have to see this movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh my God. Opening day, I'm there.

Basebf555 posted:

Wasn't there some rumor that Furlong is there in one of the opening scenes and a Terminator comes in and just blows him away? Because if that actually does happen I have to see this movie.

You have to do what I sa-BOOM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

THE POST SO NICE SA POSTED IT TWICE!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Good on Furlong for keeping his life at least somewhat together long enough to be able to still get decent work in 2019. For a while there it didn't look so good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Good on Furlong for keeping his life at least somewhat together long enough to be able to still get decent work in 2019. For a while there it didn't look so good.

I just realized American History X is like 21 years old now.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Do we think he’ll look more believable than Tarkin in Rogue One?

Edit: Jokes aside, Cameron and the producers better make sure he’s off the goddamn street at the very least.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
god this gonna suck

Only way I can think of to make a Terminator movie interesting is to have it just go back further in time and make it a period piece of sorts. Civil War, WW2, the 70's...the great depression, prohibition gangster era. This looks loving horrible.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's this and I wouldn't be surprised because last I heard he couldn't get work because he couldn't get covered for Cast Insurance due to his drug addiction issues.

BiggerBoat posted:

god this gonna suck

Only way I can think of to make a Terminator movie interesting is to have it just go back further in time and make it a period piece of sorts. Civil War, WW2, the 70's...the great depression, prohibition gangster era. This looks loving horrible.

Someone posted screen grabs from it up thread but I think at this point the best way they can end the series would be like the ending of Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle comic. It's probably the best Terminator comic and the ending especially would be a good way to wrap up the universe. I really liked the last conversation between Connor and Skynet and Connor's realization, which is a lot like Ender's realization that the Buggers aren't actually Varelse.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 18, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Terminator should probably go back to medieval Ireland to kill Eoin Conchobar where there aren't any industrial presses and he could ride a horse

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Basebf555 posted:

I've enjoyed everything I have seen him in. He's a good actor, but his personal life is a huge mess, which sucks. Really hope this movie does well.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Hamelekim posted:

I've enjoyed everything I have seen him in. He's a good actor, but his personal life is a huge mess, which sucks. Really hope this movie does well.

You enjoyed The Crow: Wicked Prayer?

Mameluke posted:

The Terminator should probably go back to medieval Ireland to kill Eoin Conchobar where there aren't any industrial presses and he could ride a horse

A T-800 jumps onto a horse, which snaps its spine like a twig and sends them both tumbling to the ground. The T-800 looks at the camera and coldly states "I break backs."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/joblocom/status/1151929672373923840

BiggerBoat posted:

god this gonna suck

you could do a proper future war movie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

god this gonna suck

How about a Terminator movie where it has to kill caveman John Connor?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Innerspace but with tiny Terminators infiltrating John Connor's cells. Midichlorins, folks will love it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Neo Rasa posted:

Innerspace but with tiny Terminators infiltrating John Connor's cells. Midichlorins, folks will love it.

Reverse it, they hide John Connor from Skynet by shrinking him down and injecting him into Martin Short's rear end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The trailer plays like it's just a comedy movie starring Martin Short with no relation to The Terminator and then like halfway through out of nowhere we get a goatse.cx ish zoom into is rear end where a tiny Edward Furlong is in hiding as the Terminator theme starts playing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Wild T posted:

You enjoyed The Crow: Wicked Prayer?

I haven't seen that.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
At this point they could use Michael Biehn to play war time John Connor.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope james cameron still has the balls to show a bunch of police officers getting loving killed en masse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The trailer plays like it's just a comedy movie starring Martin Short with no relation to The Terminator and then like halfway through out of nowhere we get a goatse.cx ish zoom into is rear end where a tiny Edward Furlong is in hiding as the Terminator theme starts playing.

Get in me if you want to live.