Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually stealing money from the govt. to help pay for your poor religious communities needs like food and soap seems like the literal best and least worrying application of bitcoin.

actually, stealing electricity paid for by public taxes in order to enrich themselves, and contributing to destroying the environment in the process, is extremely not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fisting by many posted:

Mining must be hard to perform but trivial to verify, which is why it uses an arbitrary hash algorithm. You need to make quintillions of random guesses to find a valid hash, but once you have it, other nodes just have to perform one hash op to confirm it is valid.

To validate useful problems like protein folding, you have to do the same amount of work that went into finding the solution. This makes it impossible to scale such a network at all. Some coins have tried, and realized that they just gave miners incentive to submit fake solutions -- they would earn the same amount of coins as a real solution, and it was impossible to verify them all -- so they ended up with a mountain of completely useless data.

Has anyone said TSPCoin yet? Maybe we could use mining to optimize some guys' travel itineraries.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Imagine how dumb those scientists must feel for not just inventing F@HCoin in the '90s

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

fisting by many posted:

The way bitcoin mining "works" as a proof of consensus means it can't possibly be used for anything useful.

Mining must be hard to perform but trivial to verify, which is why it uses an arbitrary hash algorithm. You need to make quintillions of random guesses to find a valid hash, but once you have it, other nodes just have to perform one hash op to confirm it is valid.

To validate useful problems like protein folding, you have to do the same amount of work that went into finding the solution. This makes it impossible to scale such a network at all. Some coins have tried, and realized that they just gave miners incentive to submit fake solutions -- they would earn the same amount of coins as a real solution, and it was impossible to verify them all -- so they ended up with a mountain of completely useless data.

Once enough people have went to the work of verifying it, they can use POW to sign the transaction, and other people who trust them (in the web of trust sense) can just verify the signature. (You can even calculate the trustworthiness of somebody by re-verifying all of the things they vouched for.)

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 27, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
And how do you know whose verifications are trustworthy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LordArgh posted:

actually, stealing electricity paid for by public taxes in order to enrich themselves, and contributing to destroying the environment in the process, is extremely not good.

Hard disagree, this is like the only example I’ve ever heard of Bitcoin being put to good use and the people in this mosque are the taxpayers so they’re just pooling resources in a roundabout way. Taxes should be used to improve the lives of the population.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Lambert fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 27, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

poverty goat posted:

Imagine how dumb those scientists must feel for not just inventing F@HCoin in the '90s

All of those proteins I folded back in the early 00s could have been butts.

Oh well, I helped real science so that's cool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fisting by many posted:

To validate useful problems like protein folding, you have to do the same amount of work that went into finding the solution.

Isn’t this what proof-carrying is for? I don’t know that it’s been applied to consensus, but it doesn’t seem impossible.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It doesn't matter anyways. Cryptocurrencies exist because people want to get richt quick, it's like asking whether multi-level marketing schemes could be used for the common good.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

It doesn't matter anyways. Cryptocurrencies exist because people want to get richt quick, it's like asking whether multi-level marketing schemes could be used for the common good.

That might be why they're popular, but I can tell you that the reason they exist is so you can buy drugs on the Internet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bust Rodd posted:

the people in this mosque are the taxpayers so they’re just pooling resources in a roundabout way

The people in the mosque aren’t all the taxpayers, though, and it’s very likely that the recipients of the mosque’s charity aren’t taxpayers at all, given how the Iranian tax system works.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am literally always 100% down with the poor scamming money from the government so I just can’t not see it as a win.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bust Rodd posted:

I am literally always 100% down with the poor scamming money from the government so I just can’t not see it as a win.

Then why does it matter if they’re taxpayers?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

why do you assume that they're poor?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LordArgh posted:

why do you assume that they're poor?

“This money goes a long way in Iran’s choked, sanctioned economy.” It’s called
Reading.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

“This money goes a long way in Iran’s choked, sanctioned economy.” It’s called
Reading.

that refers to the country as a whole, not the bitcoin mosque in particular. i'm noticing you're avoiding having to answer that other poster's question about why it's okay for these people so steal money from all other iranians

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LordArgh posted:

that refers to the country as a whole, not the bitcoin mosque in particular. i'm noticing you're avoiding having to answer that other poster's question about why it's okay for these people so steal money from all other iranians

It's not stealing if somebody else voluntarily giving you something for free. If they had a problem with it they presumably wouldn't do that?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok you caught me dude, I’m racist for assuming everyone in Iran is poor.

I don’t think people on food stamps are stealing from other taxpayers so if a community wants to use a government loophole to make ends meet, I don’t see the harm, and you seem to be implying that if they weren’t doing this the windfall of unspent energy funding would go somewhere else more deserving and that’s not how literally anything works, not how taxes work, not how infrastructure works, and it’s 100% not how the Iranian government structures its subsidies.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok you caught me dude, I’m racist for assuming everyone in Iran is poor.

I don’t think people on food stamps are stealing from other taxpayers so if a community wants to use a government loophole to make ends meet, I don’t see the harm, and you seem to be implying that if they weren’t doing this the windfall of unspent energy funding would go somewhere else more deserving and that’s not how literally anything works, not how taxes work, not how infrastructure works, and it’s 100% not how the Iranian government structures its subsidies.

What if that person on food stamps was burning all the foodstamp avaible food in the store instead of eating it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That metaphor is terrible and doesn’t work. Are there mosques in Iran without electricity because of this Mosque?

I think people are conflating “energy is a finite resource” with “Iran only has enough battery power to run X amount of lightbulbs and those greedy Muslims are hoarding it all themselves!”

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

That metaphor is terrible and doesn’t work. Are there mosques in Iran without electricity because of this Mosque?

I think people are conflating “energy is a finite resource” with “Iran only has enough battery power to run X amount of lightbulbs and those greedy Muslims are hoarding it all themselves!”

running a hundred or two hundred miners 24/7 is a huge amount of energy that is liyerally wasted. That means the plant needs to burn more to provide the same service to others, or that parts of the grid get overloaded/brownouts from the increased strain.

The power comes from somewhere, and it also doesnt go anywhere else to do anything useful.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

running a hundred or two hundred miners 24/7 is a huge amount of energy that is liyerally wasted. That means the plant needs to burn more to provide the same service to others, or that parts of the grid get overloaded/brownouts from the increased strain.

The power comes from somewhere, and it also doesnt go anywhere else to do anything useful.

It's not wasted if you're spending it on something. Your car isn't wasting fuel driving you places. (Well, depending on gas economy.)

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xtal posted:

It's not wasted if you're spending it on something. Your car isn't wasting fuel driving you places. (Well, depending on gas economy.)

a car going somewhere isnt wasting fuel.
a car running in the driveway for hours is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tashilicious posted:

But if the car barfs up a wad of cash for every 30 gallons burned...

Don’t use metaphor if you can’t follow through, just say what you’re trying to say drat

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If you think about it really hard, digging up gold from the ground, smelting it into bars, and then letting it collect dust in a vault somewhere is a very valuable economic activity that produces lots of jobs.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

EorayMel posted:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I have a couple of friends who have Bitcoin, so I got them each this coin and this bill as gifts. The other commented that "heh, that bill could actually be a paper wallet, so that it would really be worth 1 bitcoin!". I asked how that would work, since the Ron Paul Bitcoin check image has always confused me in this regard, and he was like "well, a paper wallet is where you print the private key to your wallet on paper" and I replied "but wouldn't the payer still have the private key? It was his originally, the 'paper wallet' is just a copy?". He was like "well, yeah, but you could use it to transfer the bitcoin to your own wallet - then it'd be yours!". It was then that I finally got paper wallets - and realized that the only way to tie Bitcoin to a physical asset is the one used by one of the first Bitcoin startups, where even the owner of the Bitcoin does not know the private key until a tamper-evident seal is broken. You transfer the Bitcoin to the address of the coin, and the only way to use it is to break the seal to get to the private key.

I will never skip any opportunity to post this

Yeah, I mean, if the private key is under that seal, they'll have to break it and attempt a transfer to their own account before they know if there is any balance in the wallet. I guess the payer could show the account balance on the blockchain, and the public key would be enough to tie the check to that account? But there would be no guarantee that there is a functional private key under the seal! And it would still require some online device to even try to provide evidence that the physical token is worth something! I guess checks have always been tied to trust, but Bitcoin is supposed to be trustless.

I just think it's funny that "digital cash" is actually "digital-only cash", and therefore not like cash at all.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

xtal posted:

Yeah, but mining buttcoins is like revving your v8 in the driveway at high rpm because your car COULD go somewhere if it didn't have it's wheels removed by design

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

d3lness posted:

Yeah, but mining buttcoins is like revving your v8 in the driveway at high rpm because your car COULD go somewhere if it didn't have it's wheels removed by design

Not if you can trade the carbon monoxide for goods and services. How much time and energy do you think is used to secure USD? Billions or trillions? (Note: I mean counterfeiting and laundering, not the whole imperialism thing.)

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 27, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

xtal posted:

Not if you can trade the carbon monoxide for goods and services.

:laffo: You just made my analogy even better and you probably have no idea why.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

d3lness posted:

:laffo: You just made my analogy even better and you probably have no idea why.

Maybe if you would stop assuming things I'd stop needing to correct you! Capitalism is a great way for a society to kill itself.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lambert posted:

And how do you know whose verifications are trustworthy.

very carefully

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

xtal posted:

Not if you can trade the carbon monoxide for goods and services. How much time and energy do you think is used to secure USD? Billions or trillions? (Note: I mean counterfeiting and laundering, not the whole imperialism thing.)

What goods and services can you trade carbon monoxide for?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EorayMel posted:

What goods and services can you trade carbon monoxide for?

The sweet release of death

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I support the Iranian people doing what they must to survive in the face of US economic warfare. However, I wish they could do this by producing something of real value, like crystal meth.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

fisting by many posted:

The way bitcoin mining "works" as a proof of consensus means it can't possibly be used for anything useful.

Any NP-complete problem without a good heuristics would work.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

All of those proteins I folded back in the early 00s could have been butts.

Oh well, I helped real science so that's cool.

Imagine the supercomputer they could buy today to do protein science if they had the first billion crypto coins ever mined in a trust instead of a bunch of data produced on Pentium 2s

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Number go down.

Not down enough. More down.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You're not trading the waste product. You're trading the "work"-inventing, self-administrating ledger that says you put the waste product into the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I cashed out my chinese gambling site winnings (minus the 40% they stole lol) into bit coin and then it went down 20% lmao