Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

No bars, can’t be a child. What’s that picture?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's the infamous Tarp Man from the Malheur stand-off.

(Levoy Finickam or however that's spelled who was later shot and killed while doing an impressive job of exemplifying how hard it is to make cops shoot a white dude actively holding a gun. Apparently I could run at a cop with a running chainsaw while wearing a Leatherface mask and they'd politely ask me to stop because of my pearly white skin.)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Levoy Finickam or however that's spelled who was later shot and killed while doing an impressive job of exemplifying how hard it is to make cops shoot a white dude actively holding a gun. Apparently I could run at a cop with a running chainsaw while wearing a Leatherface mask and they'd politely ask me to stop because of my pearly white skin.)

Also he wrote various fan-fic of (basically) himself shooting evil government officials in the sort of, "one vs. three, I kill 'em all before they get a chance to draw" crap Western poo poo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Also he wrote various fan-fic of (basically) himself shooting evil government officials in the sort of, "one vs. three, I kill 'em all before they get a chance to draw" crap Western poo poo.

Ironically exactly the situation he died in, trying to draw on three agents who were already pointing guns at him , the chump.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ironically everyone I've known who was a truly amazing shot was a current or former government employee

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

He had his hands up and was shot dead within seconds of dropping them. Maybe if the situation had been different and instead he was crawling on his hands and knees on the floor of a hotel hallway sobbing and begging for his life things would have been different?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Typical Pubbie posted:

He had his hands up and was shot dead within seconds of dropping them. Maybe if the situation had been different and instead he was crawling on his hands and knees on the floor of a hotel hallway sobbing and begging for his life things would have been different?

He reached for his gun multiple times before they fired. A black dude would have gotten blasted after the first.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

He had his hands up and was shot dead within seconds of dropping them.

This is accurate.

He dropped his hands, twice, going for where his holstered gun was.

After exiting his vehicle he had his hands up, then his hands came to his vest, then up again, and then back to his vest, and then he was shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5J9NHAiC4E (maybe I should have the audio on to listen to what is being said, but whatever, they've got the footage)

You can argue he maybe stumbled the first time - walking in snow is hard and their car very nearly just crashed (into a government agent) - but a suspect who is part of an armed occupation of a government facility with a known history of not only relishing the deaths of government agents, but also coming into conflict with them, means he got what was coming to him.

This is also regularly applied to minorities who are killed by law enforcement with the media falling over themselves to report on how, "they were no angels."

Finnicum (rip tarp ghost) actually was "no angel."

Blue Footed Booby posted:

He reached for his gun multiple times before they fired. A black dude would have gotten blasted after the first.

There wouldn't have been a chance for the first. The car occupants would've been shot after they nearly crashed into a roadblock, not after one person comes stumbling out.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

He was also yelling "You're going to have to shoot me!" the whole time he was approaching the officer. And he was shot three times instead of 20-60.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 25, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The cops shoot little black boys with toy guns before they’re even finished leaving the vehicle, the shooting of tarp guy is the cleanest cop shoot we’ll ever see by comparison.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

At least state Dems are standing up to this

Oh wait

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-cap-trade-climate-change-bill-dead-hb-2020/

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

What a majestically worthless bunch of cowards.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

From local public radio ilocal politics show listening to right now it sounds like the Republicans May be holding out for more concessions so stay tuned!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

OregonDemocrats.txt

I’d call up and scream at my senator, except she’s one of the few awesome ones who’s likely screaming about it herself. Settled for calling the senate president’s office and lambasting some poor staffer about her boss.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Well, that sure is some kind of way to communicate that Republicans using violent tactics against the government to get their way despite being an elected minority is effective and works. Great job, excellently reasoned. Seriously cannot wait for the few and minimal consequences this will have, nationally.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Perusing Oregon law on the matter suggests that two avenues exist for replacing the absent state congress members, providing I'm reading this correctly. The first would be a recall, which has to be initiated by a petitioner from the member's voting district accruing enough signatures within the district, and the second is the seat by the current holder being declared vacant due to other causes. The second enumerates ' (a current office holder resigns, is recalled, becomes disqualified or dies) ', which doesn't seem to anticipate lawmakers fleeing the state in order to hold the legislative process hostage.

It doesn't look like Oregon law offers many other remedies to the problem, currently, so the state legislative apparatus has effectively been taken hostage by militias. So that's the not-good kind of exciting. If the current indecisive response continues, which seems likely, there probably won't be much cause for them to not continue invoking this tactic, or threatening to do so, next session.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lightning Knight posted:

The cops shoot little black boys with toy guns before they’re even finished leaving the vehicle, the shooting of tarp guy is the cleanest cop shoot we’ll ever see by comparison.
FBI tactical teams have higher standards than the average local police department.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure the outfit that blackmailed Martin Luther King and murdered civil rights leaders is nice to white terrorists because of the FBIs integrity and high standards of professional conduct.

E: kind of weird that the guy who defends every local police shooting, including drive-bys on unarmed 14-year-olds and coverups of same, because it's literally impossible to apply higher standards of restraint to policing or cops will all die, is suddenly telling me that restraint is not only possible but good.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 25, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What ended up happening when texas dems tried this years ago?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What ended up happening when texas dems tried this years ago?

John Whitmire cracked and came back to the state voluntarily, made the floor quorate and the republicans passed the gerrymandering bill.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

FBI tactical teams have higher standards than the average local police department.

The shooter wasn't a fed.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
It was all state police. Lol. Where do you guys keep coming up with the feds being the ones who shot him?

As a matter of fact, one of the shooters is now a captain in the OSP.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

shooting a guy you burn crosses with after work is an awkward experience for all involved. now, an urban-style kid with a toy on a playground, on the other hand. gotta kinetically assess the hell out of that tactical scenario.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

It was all state police. Lol. Where do you guys keep coming up with the feds being the ones who shot him?

As a matter of fact, one of the shooters is now a captain in the OSP.

Maybe it’s the fact that an FBI agent was acquitted after lying about whether he fired (and missed) so that might be what stuck in people’s minds since that was the last bit of media attention the whole debacle got.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

To clarify this, Democrats didn't have the votes they needed to pass the bill (there are 18 Democrats and it needed 16 votes). It doesn't sound like they dropped it because of the Republican walkout, though I guess someone might have come out against it because of the walkout.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

James Garfield posted:

To clarify this, Democrats didn't have the votes they needed to pass the bill (there are 18 Democrats and it needed 16 votes). It doesn't sound like they dropped it because of the Republican walkout, though I guess someone might have come out against it because of the walkout.

I think that, maybe, even if they didn't have the votes, they should have solved the whole Republican refusal to do their job first.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

James Garfield posted:

I'm guessing their killing the bill to get the Republicans back at which point they have a quorum and can change the rules that define what a quorum is so they can't pull that poo poo again and can get some actual work done. which is why the Republicans are still refusing to return.

It'd be the smart thing to do anyway. Of course the session ends on Sunday and the governor's already said she's going to call a special session since they haven't passed the budget bill yet and they're still getting fined $500 bucks a day aiming square for the wallet which as we all know is the only way to truly hurt a Republican.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr E posted:

I think that, maybe, even if they didn't have the votes, they should have solved the whole Republican refusal to do their job first.

Also - whether they had the votes or not - and there's reason to believe they did prior to the walk-out, and also reason to believe they lost one or two votes from the media coverage - I'm not sure admitting capitulation did anything but make them look like fools. If they wanted to call the Republicans' bluff they could have offered a concession in letting it go to the ballot (previously tossed around by Republicans as a concession they might accept) instead of stating outright "we lost." And a lot of good "we lost" seems to have done. The Republicans haven't agreed to come back yet and they seem to be hemming and hawing and looking for additional concessions. Honestly, at this point I think there is a good chance they run out the legislative session unless they get a whole bunch of other sweetheart promises.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Why wouldn't they ask for more?

They took the legislature hostage and tried to force armed conflict. As punishment, they got what they wanted. The bill is dead.

That's not even "negotiating with terrorists" level of bad idea. That's transcended to, "Maybe if we give this German chap the country he wants this will all blow over."

Threatening armed resistance is now a valid form of government, so why not repeat it and get more of what they want? It's nothing but positives in the eyes of the fascists. They lost nothing for doing it and gained what they wanted.

So, again, why not do it more often?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Why wouldn't they ask for more?

They took the legislature hostage and tried to force armed conflict. As punishment, they got what they wanted. The bill is dead.

That's not even "negotiating with terrorists" level of bad idea. That's transcended to, "Maybe if we give this German chap the country he wants this will all blow over."

Threatening armed resistance is now a valid form of government, so why not repeat it and get more of what they want? It's nothing but positives in the eyes of the fascists. They lost nothing for doing it and gained what they wanted.

So, again, why not do it more often?

There's some electoral math behind constantly walking out on your government and it's not good. IIRC most of the state senators who walked did not also threaten to kill anyone who came looking for them.

Baldfaced stunts in state politics are nothing new.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There's some electoral math behind constantly walking out on your government and it's not good.

They are not in districts that will punish them for this - if anything it will go on campaign mailers. Gross - but true

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

James Garfield posted:

Local activists are calling the senate president on his claim that they didn’t have the votes too, they’re saying they have confirmed 18 yes votes and he’s just too scared and/or unwilling to make the questionable Dems put their vote on the record. Obviously there may be a difference between what the reps say to activists versus what they actually do, but either way I can’t say I buy his logic; if bad Dems are gonna gently caress it up we should know about it and be able to hold them accountable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The answer to why nothing will happen to them, why this keeps happening and why they don't do it more often is, as it always is, :decorum:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Christ I hate that emoticon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Death Row Inmates Use Recent Abortion Ruling to Argue They Cannot Be Executed

quote:

Attorneys for a bloc of inmates on death row are seeking to capitalize on the Kansas Supreme Court’s April decision protecting abortion rights as enshrined in the state’s constitution, claiming that the ruling effectively outlaws the death penalty.

The crux of the inmates’ argument, filed with the court in May, lies in what their attorneys claim is the “new landscape of Kansas constitutional law” created by court’s abortion ruling.

In declaring that a woman’s right to terminate a pregnancy was constitutionally protected, the court began by citing Section 1 of the Kansas State Constitution which provides that “All men are possessed of equal and inalienable natural rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

The court interpreted Section 1 as affording “protection of the right of personal autonomy, which includes the ability to control one’s own body, to assert bodily integrity, and to exercise self-determination.”

According to the court, this right “allows a woman to make her own decisions regarding her body, health, family formation, and family life— decisions that can include whether to continue a pregnancy.”

The court further reasoned that the government “may only infringe upon the right to decide whether to continue a pregnancy if the State has a compelling interest and has narrowly tailored its actions to that interest.”

In light of the Kansas Supreme Court’s ruling, attorneys for five of the states 10 death row inmates have attempted to use the court’s reasoning to argue that the death penalty infringes upon constitutionally protected rights.

The argument relies on the notion that even a convicted killer cannot be executed because, based on the court’s logic, the death penalty would infringe upon the convict’s “inalienable right” to life.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 27, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is pretty interesting. It seems like if Section 1 of the Kansas Bill of Rights guarantees a right to abortion it should be a slam dunk to say the death penalty is unconstitutional.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, scotus just decided gerrymandering is a-ok, so democracy is over

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, scotus just decided gerrymandering is a-ok, so democracy is over

They actually seemed to say "Everyone knows this isn't ok but hell if we're gonna do anything about it" which somehow feels worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The Republican judges have been pulling these shenanigans for decades now. Their take is that democracy is not worth being defended if it will deprive them of power. It really says something that upholding a fair and representational democracy is considered a "political question". But as has been well known for quite a while, Republicans are all authoritarians at heart - and petty tyrants have no love of democracy.