Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cosmetic surgery in general is a morally bankrupt field.
yeah pretty much. the field itself would mostly not exist if they were like 'no body dysmorphia' cases.

i had a relatively large gap between my two front tooth for most of my teens and it consumed my thoughts every-time i was out in public and i felt awful and too self conscious of it and just had a perpetual closed lips and never smiling. i never went down the incel thing (partly because they weren't a thing at the time) but i was partly convinced it was why i was where i was at that point in my life.

so i had some dental work to fill it in and then just felt like poo poo/depressed afterwards like i "sold out" and failed to just accept things--kinda hard to explain. then a few weeks i moved past that and am happier about it. it probably ultimately did not matter and was some form of dysmorphia making things seem way worse than it was, but i don't regret doing it. i'm not sure if i could have therapist-ed myself out of it instead, but the thought never crossed my mind then. i've never became obsessively convinced anything else was fundamentally broken and all-consuming at least

incels are garbage people personality-wise and no amount of surgery is going to fix that, but if it does help people with body dysmorphia become a little happier, i don't really feel its for me to judge given our hosed up world, so i can understand where surgeons like that are coming from. i think the real morally bankrupt part is pushing people into doing poo poo they don't need to do like an auto repair shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i vomit kittens posted:

AITA for not wanting to see a black therapist

yes

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Anne Whateley posted:

Him: Hey friend, want to go to this concert?
Her: Yes, I'd love to go! This is as friends, though, just to be clear
Him: You can't come if you're not putting out that night

In no way is that a pro move

Him: Hey, want to go to this concert? This is a date
Him: I'll think about it.
Her later: When are we going?
Him: No thx, got somebody else who is into me, she doesn't even care about the band
Her: But I like that band!

Bottomline, he made it clear that he is looking for romance, not friends. She wasn't interested, he found somebody else.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

If they were meeting as strangers from a dating site, then yeah, but they're already existing friends. It's not weird to be friends and do friend things if they...are friends

He asked her out on a date and she rejected him for a date but offered to go platonically, which he turned down

That is in no way weird and while it'd be fine for him to still take her, he did not want to do that, and it's fine for him to say no to a platonic outing with her

Like, for your silly thing:

Him: Hey, want to go on a date with me to this concert?
Her: I'd love to go, but only as friends
Him: Sorry, really only interested in a date right now

See how reasonable and sensible everything is in the version that actually happened

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Again, they weren't meeting as strangers, they were already friends. What a stupid way to ruin a friendship, imo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

It was literally bolded by OP that he asked her to go as a date, jfc

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Again, they weren't meeting as strangers, they were already friends. What a stupid way to ruin a friendship, imo.

What's the alternative? Suck it up and pine forever? gently caress that, guy took his shot, didnt work out for him and he rolled with it.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

And again, you can ask your friends on a date and aren't obligated to still take them out if they reject you. It's insane to me that you don't get this.

And if their friendship is ruined over this, that's 100% her fault. He'd be kind of lovely if he didn't have anyone else to go with and was just refusing to take her because she turned him down for a date, but she turned him down and he found someone else to go with.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i vomit kittens posted:

AITA for not wanting to see a black therapist

yes because your definatly racist. you may not be overtly racist but you are big time casually racist. but also no because you need to trust and like your therapist and you being racist against your current one wont let you do that.

welcome to hell posted:

Me (24M) and my wife (23F) are both virgins but I wish we could change that

whats the lesbian version of a beard? because thats this guy. that or his wise is an ace. or she had trauma and wont talk about it.

snergle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 27, 2019

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Anne Whateley posted:

Staying "friends" with somebody that you're romantically interested in and the feeling isn't reciprocated is a pretty bad idea. She wasn't, he moved on. Smarter than what most people do.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The guy is free to decide who he wants to take with him to a concert for a date. I wouldn't do a concert as a first date, but this guy did. He won a raffle and took his chance. He did make it clear that he was looking for a date; his friend had no obligation to go on a romantic date and he had no obligation to take her.

The douchy/tacky part comes from the whole "waiting for someone else to go with him and then declining the friend's offer to go to the concert platonically." He was hurt by the rejection, but never actually told the friend that she wasn't going until he found a new date. He didn't actually tell her no until after he asked his coworker. He said "he would think about it," which might be code for "no" but can you really blame her for thinking otherwise?

On some level he was being tacky, but not wrong to want to take someone else on a date.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He isn't legally required to take her, of course, we all agree. He's perfectly free to behave the way he's behaving. It is still not nice or friendly to offer her a ticket on the condition that they have sex.

Friends are supposed to be people that you like hanging out with and doing nice things for, like, you're supposed to enjoy them for who they are regardless of fuckhole access.

kru posted:

What's the alternative? Suck it up and pine forever?
No, the non-goon option would be to accept it and move on, date the woman who's into him, and be friends with his friends. This is a thing that sane people can do

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Power Khan posted:

Staying "friends" with somebody that you're romantically interested in and the feeling isn't reciprocated is a pretty bad idea. She wasn't, he moved on. Smarter than what most people do.

I mean, not even that; I agree that that's a bad choice and you shouldn't do it, but going out on a date that you were rejected for but now have to make platonic is way beyond most people. Expecting someone to do it while they have another date set up is insane.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Anne Whateley posted:

Him: Hey friend, want to go to this concert?
Him: You can't come if you're not putting out that night

In no way is that a pro move
Let's try this again, but using the actual story as it was told:

Him: Hey friend, wanna go on a date with me to this concert?
Her: I want to go to the concert, but I don't want to date you.
Him: I am taking a date to this concert. If you don't want to date me, you aren't going to the concert.

Anne Whateley posted:

It doesn't matter if they're meeting as strangers or not, and I don't know why you're so hung up on that idea. He wanted her as a girlfriend, she said no, he said that's fine and took someone else on a date! That's what's supposed to happen! Just because she's butthurt over not getting a free concert doesn't validate her whining in any way. If the friendship is "ruined" because he took a girl who is interested in him on a date instead of orbiting her and hoping for the best, then he's better off without her.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's not going to ruin their friendship

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

He isn't legally required to take her, of course, we all agree. He's perfectly free to behave the way he's behaving. It is still not nice or friendly to offer her a ticket on the condition that they have sex.

Friends are supposed to be people that you like hanging out with and doing nice things for, like, you're supposed to enjoy them for who they are regardless of fuckhole access.

He didn't demand sex, he asked her out

Do you believe all dates must end in sex or like what the gently caress is wrong with you

quote:

No, the non-goon option would be to accept it and move on, date the woman who's into him, and be friends with his friends. This is a thing that sane people can do

That's literally what he did you crazy person

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

WIBTA if I reported a coworker to HR after a (rejected) date leaves me feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone?

quote:

Okay, relevant background. So I (30F) work at a nursing home and ask out a younger coworker (24F). Coworker says yes, we exchange numbers, talk on snapchat for a couple weeks. She makes up a few last minute excuses not to meet up after plans were made and eventually says she's not actually interested. No big deal. I delete her phone number, uninstall snapchat (I had otherwise never used it), and unfriend her from fb. She got mad about being unfriended from fb and said she wants to be friends. To avoid work issues, I readd her.

She offers to hang out on my birthday - today/yesterday (depending on time where you are). I message her to verify time and she says she's with another coworker but will ask if she wants to come too. But I never hear back from her. About an hour after we were originally going to meet up, I send her a message asking her why she even asked me to hangout. She responds immediately and says her dog had an emergency visit to the vet due to a broken leg. She always has an excuse and this time I was kinda salty so I called her a liar, crazy and told her to leave me alone.

Turned out this time she wasn't lying, she sent a snap of the medication w the date and said to never talk to her again. Cool, it's over, right? Nope.

2 hours later she sends a snap of her and the other coworker talking poo poo about me and how I never had a chance, she never liked me, etc. But I'm feeling petty at this point and want to be left alone so I tell her I'm showing HR, she's harassing me.

She freaks the gently caress out. Tells me she makes 150% what her coworkers do because she reports to corporate and signed a contract and can't be reported to HR or her she and her mom (who does work for corporate) will be sued.

Sounds stupid, but on my first day, the lady training me pointed at her and called her a "corporate spy." I didn't think anything of it until coworker confirmed it (and I had never mentioned it to her).

She offers to pay me not to tell, to please not ruin her life, and when I decline, offers to gently caress me if I don't tell HR.

I freak the gently caress out at this point. I'm not okay with where the conversation is leading or the implication that I would do something like that. I don't want to talk to her anymore, but she's losing her mind, begging me to pick her up, and for some dumbass reason I agreed. I guess I thought we could achieve a more reasonable conversationin person.

When I got there, she alternated between screaming, begging, and crying. Blamed me for the whole thing, accused me of wanting the residents at work to suffer because she reports changes that really do need made, like bad staff, poor conditions, etc.

I can't work with her. This feels insane to me. I'll definitely be quitting on the spot first thing tomorrow.

But would I be the rear end in a top hat if I reported this situation to HR as the reason why I'm quitting? I know I had some rear end in a top hat moments (accusing her of lying about the dog) but I feel like this was too far.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

That's exactly what happened, just incase you need a primer or something???

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Anne has the reputation of siding with the woman in every story for a reason.

Also, saying I'll think about it is a no unless otherwise specified.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Blade Runner posted:

He didn't demand sex, he asked her out

Do you believe all dates must end in sex or like what the gently caress is wrong with you
This isn't subtle

quote:

I said I can book us a hotel room and we can spend the night together.

(yes, his later edit said "spending the night together" could be in separate beds. 0% buying that)

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Leon Einstein posted:

Anne has the reputation of siding with the woman in every story for a reason.

I mean, yeah

Anne, if you're wondering why people accuse you of that all the time, it's literally stuff like this

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if their friendship is ruined because ticket goon didn't want to platonically travel to another city on a non-date then the friendship was fragile enough to die naturally

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

"I said I can"
vs
"I said this is required"

Where is this getting lost in translation you stupid idiot, you absolute moron

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

here's the routine:

say person did something horrible > posters point out that this didn't happen > say posters saying this didn't happen only say so because they're also horrible > get dogpiled > say "yeah well some people really are like that" and slink off

let's just skip to the end

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Let's just find something else to talk about

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That belly sure was pregnant.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Xaris posted:

yeah pretty much. the field itself would mostly not exist if they were like 'no body dysmorphia' cases.

i had a relatively large gap between my two front tooth for most of my teens and it consumed my thoughts every-time i was out in public and i felt awful and too self conscious of it and just had a perpetual closed lips and never smiling. i never went down the incel thing (partly because they weren't a thing at the time) but i was partly convinced it was why i was where i was at that point in my life.

so i had some dental work to fill it in and then just felt like poo poo/depressed afterwards like i "sold out" and failed to just accept things--kinda hard to explain. then a few weeks i moved past that and am happier about it. it probably ultimately did not matter and was some form of dysmorphia making things seem way worse than it was, but i don't regret doing it. i'm not sure if i could have therapist-ed myself out of it instead, but the thought never crossed my mind then. i've never became obsessively convinced anything else was fundamentally broken and all-consuming at least

incels are garbage people personality-wise and no amount of surgery is going to fix that, but if it does help people with body dysmorphia become a little happier, i don't really feel its for me to judge given our hosed up world, so i can understand where surgeons like that are coming from. i think the real morally bankrupt part is pushing people into doing poo poo they don't need to do like an auto repair shop.
Cosmetic surgery is also used to help people who have suffered disfiguring injuries or conditions. Fixing a cleft palete is cosmetic surgery, as is reconstructing a horribly burned face. It's not a totally superficial field, even if most cosmetic surgeons aren't making the big bucks helping burned refugees or whatever.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

here's the routine:

say person did something horrible > posters point out that this didn't happen > say posters saying this didn't happen only say so because they're also horrible > get dogpiled > say "yeah well some people really are like that" and slink off

let's just skip to the end

:toot:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA if I reported a coworker to HR after a (rejected) date leaves me feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone?

I bet this lady still has the scars on her hand from repeatedly touching the stovetop

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

This isn't subtle

(yes, his later edit said "spending the night together" could be in separate beds. 0% buying that)

As a dude I 100% agree with this reading of the story. Dude wanted to set up to gently caress after the concert, she said go as friends to imply she didn't want to gently caress him after. It may have still been a date, but she wanted to make sure he understood no sex afterwards.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

This isn't subtle

He may have been hoping for sex to happen, but that is amazingly different than him demanding sex or insisting she trade sex for tickets

At the point where you have to say "oh yeah he specifically said this but he's probably lying" to literally your only point, and that point was already pretty tenuous, you should probably just give up the argument

Apprentice Dick posted:

As a dude I 100% agree with this reading of the story. Dude wanted to set up to gently caress after the concert, she said go as friends to imply she didn't want to gently caress him after. It may have still been a date, but she wanted to make sure he understood no sex afterwards.

Typically people who do this would say things such as "I'm happy to go on the date but I'll get my own hotel room" or even just bluntly "I'm happy to go on the date, but don't expect anything to happen since it's the first date" and not just like lie about not wanting to go on a date and figure it'll work out

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 27, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PetraCore posted:

Cosmetic surgery is also used to help people who have suffered disfiguring injuries or conditions. Fixing a cleft palete is cosmetic surgery, as is reconstructing a horribly burned face. It's not a totally superficial field, even if most cosmetic surgeons aren't making the big bucks helping burned refugees or whatever.
oh yeah definitely, i didn't mean to knock it. i understand it mostly came about as reconstruction or people disfiguringly injured like vets and stuff, it's not quack or anything.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
"offers to gently caress me if I don't tell HR." Has to be in the like Top 5 things you absolutely should report to HR.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

dudeness posted:

"offers to gently caress me if I don't tell HR." Has to be in the like Top 5 things you absolutely should report to HR.

Also the decision making post that to actually meet with the person is 100% top tier

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

kru posted:

Also the decision making post that to actually meet with the person is 100% top tier

Let's be real, they banged

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dudeness posted:

<has flhasbacks to that time their boss made them go to a strip club and tip the boss's girlfriend> oh yeah me too, thats, definitely top, uh, 5? Top 5, yeah.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm going to be keeping tabs on him. Even if it's fake, I want to see just where it escalates. Is he going to lose a fight to his baby?

I went to Liberty Tax to do my taxes and got beat up by the sign spinner wearing a Statue of Liberty dress

And by the end of the post everyone agrees that Lady Liberty sign spinner was 100% in the right.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you have a friend who really wants to see a band, go with the friend. If you have someone else who is into you and doesn't care what you do, do something else.

I don't get why this is so freakish and radical and shocking and misandrist. I have an extra ticket to Shakespeare in the Park, so should I ask a friend who really likes Shakespeare, or someone who dgaf about Shakespeare and would be equally happy hanging out doing anything else?

Is the money the issue? I wasn't even factoring that in, because if the ticket's over like $20, I would pay him back for mine whether it's a date or not.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Barudak posted:

<has flhasbacks to that time their boss made them go to a strip club and tip the boss's girlfriend> oh yeah me too, thats, definitely top, uh, 5? Top 5, yeah.

<Remembers the time his lead petty officer made everyone in the workshop go out to get lapdances from his stripper wife two days after their wedding>

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

“I’m not racist, I just don’t want this women to be my therapist solely because she’s black!”

What are the comments on that one?