Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It's 'genovese syndrome.' Also called the bystander effect. One of humanity's shittier traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, nothing complicated but when you're 4 or 5 years old all you think about is the giant loving demon dog that's about to maul Louis so the fact that there was a joke there didn't even register until years later.

I didn't realize that Ray was getting a ghost blowjob until I was about 21 and someone explained it to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The snooty people in that Central Park restaurant would have assumed that Louis was just another homeless person screaming about crazy poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't realize that Ray was getting a ghost blowjob until I was about 21 and someone explained it to me.

Probably my favorite "hidden" joke where I saw the movie about a hundred times without noticing it was the scene where Peter is giving the hotel manager the pricing and he has no clue what they should charge so Egon is standing to the side giving him the prices with his fingers.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure, but Egon might be out of frame in the 4:3 VHS/TV version.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

I'm not sure, but Egon might be out of frame in the 4:3 VHS/TV version.

He's in-frame during the pricing scene, but he's cropped out when they first enter the hotel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Timby posted:

He's in-frame during the pricing scene, but he's cropped out when they first enter the hotel.

With line in the library 'This ever happened to you before? No? First time?'; at least the version I grew up with (taped off of MITV :canada:, with the alternate takes for lines), it's actually RAY who's out of frame.

And Peter is talking to Ray, so I have no idea why they did that :psyduck:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I remember having a late-era VHS copy of GB1 where the panning back and forth was so unnaturally smooth that it was distracting and made it almost unwatchable, like that motion smoothing feature on newer TVs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The slime in the bathtub in GB2 made me very very nervous of taps for awhile when I was a kid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'd heard bad things about the Xbox One Blu-ray player app, so I "quickly" sat down to see if it would play 4K Blu-rays for me and popped in Ghostbusters to see if it worked.

And suddenly it was 40 minutes later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Terror Dogs from GB1 scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. It wasn't just the look and the sound, it was also the whole "transform into them" aspect. I also saw Alien around the same time (I watched both from behind the couch when my parents thought I was asleep) and got this deep-seated fear of parasites.

The two kind of blended in my memory. For years, when I had a nightmare, it was inevitably some combination of being captured, implanted, and turning into/used for something.

This is why I think Fire In The Sky is the scariest movie ever made. It goes straight to my biggest childhood fears.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh hello.

https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters/status/1144274190910066688

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yay! Good ol' Crap Bag gonna join the team.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I think Rudd could actually pull off a pretty good version of Ray or some similar character so he'd be a good fit with the right co-stars, but holy poo poo are all these promos super desperate to push the message "This time we'll be mega respectful of the canon, we're so sorry about the last film, please don't hate us again!!!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think Rudd could actually pull off a pretty good version of Ray or some similar character so he'd be a good fit with the right co-stars, but holy poo poo are all these promos super desperate to push the message "This time we'll be mega respectful of the canon, we're so sorry about the last film, please don't hate us again!!!"

I see him more as the Venkman type.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess I see him more as a guy who gets "well meaning but naive doofus" roles, he doesn't feel sleazy enough to be a Venkman to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I guess I see him more as a guy who gets "well meaning but naive doofus" roles, he doesn't feel sleazy enough to be a Venkman to me.

I'm thinking more Anchorman than Antman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

I'm thinking more Anchorman than Antman

He was still a naive doofus in Anchorman! Just one who thought he was sexy. :v:

I honestly don't know who I'd cast as a replacement Venkman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

He was still a naive doofus in Anchorman! Just one who thought he was sexy. :v:

I honestly don't know who I'd cast as a replacement Venkman.

Murray is(or was, depending on your opinion of his current career) a generational talent so it's no surprise that he'd be the toughest to replace. But Ray and Egon also have their nuances that go beyond just the archetypes, so really trying to fit a new cast into those molds is probably a mistake.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kevyn posted:

I remember having a late-era VHS copy of GB1 where the panning back and forth was so unnaturally smooth that it was distracting and made it almost unwatchable, like that motion smoothing feature on newer TVs.

I had that version. Holy hell, it was awful.

Speaking of scares, I always had to look away at the zombie cap driver. Freaked me out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh man, I freaking love Paul Rudd so this is great news for me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Who are they gonna call when he puts on his sex panther cologne? That poo poo would even scare the ghosts away.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the arms popping out of the chair and clamping over Dana's mouth gave me nightmares for weeks.

One of the hands deliberately grabs her boob, the hand belongs to Weavers husband.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/JasonReitman/status/1149837684891881473?s=20

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Like many others, I'm guessing Spengler descendants.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I know their secret production name.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I cannot loving wait for the Internet to implode when it's revealed that after everyone has been assuming that this is Ghostbusters 3, it isn't.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Timby posted:

I cannot loving wait for the Internet to implode when it's revealed that after everyone has been assuming that this is Ghostbusters 3, it isn't.

How do you mean?

Like people assuming the guys are gonna strap gear on and catch ghosts?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

What if it is.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jason Reitman said, “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

I don't know how you wouldn't consider Ghostbusters 3.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Extreme Ghostbusters, obviously.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, this is what I’ve been hearing for a bit.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
To me, “Ghostbusters 3” means the lead characters are Peter, Ray, and Winston, with maybe a new 4th guy. If this new movie is mostly about new characters, with only small cameos from the old guys it will be a tad disappointing, but still possibly good.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am realistic about what the film will be, just using the original props and score is a big plus. Hopefully the writing and direction takes inspiration from the two originals aswell. There is a good clip on youtube contrasting 1984's proton pack explanation scene with 2016's and I think it just shows why a lot of people disliked 2016: overly long scenes where no-one ever stops talking is not what a lot of GB fans like about the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Improv is a sometimes food.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
As weird as it would be, I'd love to make an Extreme Ghostbusters set in the late 90s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not Ghostbusters 3 if it doesn't have Rick Moranis.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Szmitten posted:

As weird as it would be, I'd love to make an Extreme Ghostbusters set in the late 90s.

Honestly they could probably do exactly this as a live action series on Netflix or whatever and it would rock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They'd probably need to do something about Eduardo's accent and/or personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

So this is going to be a long, slow character piece that follows each of the remaining members as they reach the end of their life? Finally facing their fears, their joys, and their missed opportunities? The climax is cutting between each member as they transition to death, each in a moment of sorrow or pain as they realize it’s the end, only to get a smile on their face as we pan up and see Egon welcoming them to peace one after the other? Ray in his book store, Venkman in a foreign brothal, and Winston in the Oval Office.

Edit: The pace would have to be along the lines of Ghost Dog or Lost in Translation.