Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Anne Whateley posted:

Again, they weren't meeting as strangers, they were already friends. What a stupid way to ruin a friendship, imo.

think about how hosed up this would be if it were a dinner date.

him: can I take you out to dinner?
her: only if you want to go as friends
him: oh sorry I'll find someone else
her: what you aren't going to buy me dinner anymore????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

But she isn't a professor according to the story.

If someone has a particular way they want to be addressed, you need to address them that way. It's their name, not yours.

Anyway it doesn't surprise me that Australians don't recognize academic titles, being a nation of illiterate convicts and all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Renegret posted:

Never

Giving assholes enough rope to hang themselves is corporate politics 101.

100%. Corporate karma drama owns

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

If someone has a particular way they want to be addressed, you need to address them that way. It's their name, not yours.

Anyway it doesn't surprise me that Australians don't recognize academic titles, being a nation of illiterate convicts and all

I mean I don't actually care and I don't think most people would but it seems like a weird take to say this in the context of professional titles, if someone insisted on you calling them Doctor if they didn't have a PhD/MD etc.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

again maybe this is a gender difference but ime concerts are way more of a friend activity than a romantic or first-date activity. That said, I also definitely eat dinner with friends

i don't see it as a gender difference - i think we are looking at two different aspects of this dude's approach

he won two tickets for popular singer. he knows lady who might be interested in date, but also likes popular singer. you're seeing this from the angle that he changed his mind, and she is now not going to see popular singer, so it's denying her an experience she would personally enjoy. but guy is not necessarily interested in seeing popular singer, he wants a date. so others are seeing it from the angle that this guy is dealing with a romantic rejection on what he framed as a date

i wouldn't go on a solo concert experience with someone unless we both wanted to see the artist, or i was putting up with an artist i dont care about as a romantic overture to my date partner. i'm assuming here that guy doesn't care about popular singer, he's just trying to convert his lucky ticket win into a date, which is a pretty normal behavior for a young adult as long as he's not a pervert about it. in my opinion it's pervier to go on a non-date with a potential romantic partner because that's the sort of friendship coin behavior that nice guys get up to

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Gf brought up my skin colour. Should I leave ?

quote:

I have dark skin. I never thought I would hear something like this from someone else.

There was this one incident where I had a big argument with my girlfriend. I won’t go in detail, but she has many bad values and things that made me furious, which I gave many chances before I actually spoke up and went all out. And she said this: why wouldn’t you accept me for who I am ? Look. For instance, I accepted your skin colour. Even my parents accepted you for who you are, since they are always worried about what our future kids would be. I am like wtf ?!?!?! And then she went on and said: trust me, a lot of people out there wouldn’t be this open minded, we are.

Is it time to leave ? They say they’re not racist since they accepted their daughter to date me. I mean.....why would you even say that out loud ? And wtf again ?!?!?!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

yikes

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DemoneeHo posted:

Launch her into space

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DemoneeHo posted:

Hahaha

"I totally could be racist about your gross dark skin, but I'm not! See how nice I am?"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

HIJK posted:

How on earth does this happen, how do you get one chilled out average sibling and then the other sibling is a ginormous prick

which one is chilled out and which is the prick? they are both dicks but the bigoted sister is worse. Chances are the neice wont reach out to her uncle because the neice will be just like her mom and dad bigoted assholes. unless they turn out to be gay. The fact that he doesnt realise that and is keeping a dirt book on his sister incase she does is stupid. use your dirt book to gently caress her over or dont keep one because just having one is going to make you unhappy as gently caress every time you add a new thing to it.

DemoneeHo posted:

woke racists :murder: then find someone else

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 27, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

this isn't like preferred pronouns or identifying by a new name, it's demanding a title that you haven't even earned

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll call you ma'am or sir as much as you want

But I ain't calling no one Captain Plutonium

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I will only be adressed as "General Guglhupf"

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I feel like it would be fine, if a little odd, to ask to be referred to as professor even if you're not one. If a teacher asked me to do that I'd just roll with it. Where she messed up was first in just assuming everyone would do that without her letting them know, and second in saying the reason why was because she was "above them", which makes it seem like a power trip
They were seriously over the line in rudeness afterwards though

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CountryMatters posted:

I feel like it would be fine, if a little odd, to ask to be referred to as professor even if you're not one. If a teacher asked me to do that I'd just roll with it.

Would it actually be fine, or would it immediately mark that person in your mind as unbelievably pretentious? Because I might roll with it when necessary, but my eyes would be rolling out of my head whenever she wasn't around.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The only thing I can see wrong with the concert guy is that he wanted to take her to a hotel on a first date, but maybe the concerts out of town and getting a hotel room makes sense? Either way, shes not into him, and I'd even say that asking someone you just rejected if they want to go as friends because you're really into the band is manipulative as gently caress and not a really friendly thing to do.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't acknowledge optometrist titles, they just buy machines and print money with them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Norton the First posted:

Would it actually be fine, or would it immediately mark that person in your mind as unbelievably pretentious? Because I might roll with it when necessary, but my eyes would be rolling out of my head whenever she wasn't around.

Australian culture is extremely egalitarian.

If you're going to act like a loving tool, everyone will cheerfully call you on it.

If you literally use the phrase "I am above you", people from far and wide will gather on rooftops around your workplace and home for the opportunity to throw their poo poo at you.

It's one of the few virtues of our culture.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CountryMatters posted:

I feel like it would be fine, if a little odd, to ask to be referred to as professor even if you're not one. If a teacher asked me to do that I'd just roll with it. Where she messed up was first in just assuming everyone would do that without her letting them know, and second in saying the reason why was because she was "above them", which makes it seem like a power trip
They were seriously over the line in rudeness afterwards though

they're all grad students though -- the students and the teacher. those master's students could easily be teaching her class next semester because that's just how grad school is.

there is so much self-importance in higher ed

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

MIL pocket dialled me, heard her calling me a bad parent.

OP posted:

So, LTL FTP, and on mobile and all that jazz.

As the title suggests, my MIL pocket dialled me this morning and I missed the call and it went to voicemail. I called her back before I saw the vmail to check that everything was okay (she's been going through a lot over the last few years and I always tell her to call me on my days off if she needs anything) and she said it was a complete accident and everything was okay. Awesome, I hang up and notice the vmail, so decide to listen for shits and giggles.

My MIL has always, I've felt, been one of my biggest supporters and has always been so amazing and helps out as much as she can with her grandbaby.

Well, what I now have on my phone is a recording of her speaking to her mother about my daughter and how I had 'given her chips for breakfast' and 'never make her wear her jumper' and 'no wonder she doesn't sleep, she's so cold all the time'. Basically making it seem like I have been a very neglectful parent and that it's a daily occurence.

To clarify, MIL came over yesterday around 9am (my daughter wakes up around 6am) to take her for a visit for a few hours and LO was having her first snack of the day. While I usually make sure she has some form of fruit for her first snack, I hadn't done the shopping yet so we only had a couple of kids snack sized chips handy and I thought that some food was better than no food until I could get to the shop.

As for the jumper/always cold situation, my daughter is 19mo and going through her 'I have learnt to take my clothes off' phase where it's quite difficult to keep clothes on her, especially if she doesn't want to wear them. It's winter in AUS, and she has been recently refusing to wear jumpers and takes her socks off whenever she can. Like, if I put a jumper on her and she isn't cold, she flips her lid and pulls it off. No big deal, I put her in a singlet and long shirt and we go about our day.

I feel so incredibly betrayed to know that this is what she thinks and has been saying behind our backs. My SO is furious with his mum and doesn't want me to do anything about the situation further.

I want to know how to proceed from this, so am asking if anyone has any advice? Is there a way I can deal with this without aggrivating the situation further?

commenter posted:

Hes furious with his mum, so is he going to say something to her?

OP posted:

Hi, he called her earlier today to ask what she was thinking by talking bad about us behind our backs. MIL denied she said anything until he said I have it on voicemail, so literally a recording and she ended up hanging up on him. He also went over to her house earlier today after she summoned us there. I chose to stay home because I couldn't deal with the confrontation at the moment and she attacked him as soon as he walked in the door.

She said that I was using him to do my dirty work and then said some pretty nasty things to him that she knew would hurt him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Australian culture is extremely egalitarian.

If you're going to act like a loving tool, everyone will cheerfully call you on it.

If you literally use the phrase "I am above you", people will gather on rooftops to throw their poo poo at you.

It's one of the few virtues of our culture.

Having a student tell her to “go back to Germany” if she doesn’t like the culture clash is an abysmally atrocious method of handling it.

Very doubtful that the German teacher is going to integrate or even try to change her approach to something more fitting if she’s just going to get bigotry from her students who are mad because this drat immigrant isn’t aligning with their cultural values to their liking. Getting insulted and disrespected by the natural born citizens does not encourage people to conform.

e: the more I think about it the more insane it becomes, that dude had a tantrum at his teacher because she was pretentious and he decided to attack her nationality and immigrant status. that’s just hosed up.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 27, 2019

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

HIJK posted:

Having a student tell her to “go back to Germany” if she doesn’t like the culture clash is an abysmally atrocious method of handling it.

Very doubtful that the German teacher is going to integrate or even try to change her approach to something more fitting if she’s just going to get bigotry from her students who are mad because this drat immigrant isn’t aligning with their cultural values to their liking. Getting insulted and disrespected by the natural born citizens does not encourage people to conform.

e: the more I think about it the more insane it becomes, that dude had a tantrum at his teacher because she was pretentious and he decided to attack her nationality and immigrant status. that’s just hosed up.

If your culture involves you saying "I am above you" and insisting that you are intrinsically superior to others, your culture actually sucks balls and you can go gently caress yourself imo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Australians are also very racist.

This is one of the may terrible things about our culture.

But, yes, telling her off for putting on airs is 100% okay in my book, no matter what opinion she holds about herself.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

To me it sounds like a clumsy attempt to be taken seriously and to avoid seeming too familiar with her students. They're not supposed to be friends. "I am above you" feels like a phrase that got mangled in translation from something not as rude in German. Total guessing on that one though.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

HIJK posted:

Student was dumb, wannabe prof is a massively self-important tool, but at least neither is tiresome enough to still be litigating concert ticket issues from five pages ago.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But, yes, telling her off for putting on airs is 100% okay in my book, no matter what opinion she holds about herself.

This is fair.

Blade Runner posted:

If your culture involves you saying "I am above you" and insisting that you are intrinsically superior to others, your culture actually sucks balls and you can go gently caress yourself imo

imo responding to a snotty “I am above with you” with tantrumy xenophobia is just as hosed up, ESH in that situation.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

5 pages ago was 5am today, so gently caress you I'll voice my opinions whenever unless a mod steps in

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

WIBTA if I refused to play D&D with the DM’s gf?

quote:

Throwaway because my DM has my main account and uses this sub.

So we have this d&d group that is transforming into a new group because of relocation. The group before was alright but I always had an issue with the DM’s gf, let’s call her T. Every session, T would be on her phone 90% of the time. I’ll admit I’ve played on my phone before but never to the point where I had no idea what was going on. She does it so much that we have to stop playing and explain everything to her. Which sometime she doesn’t even care to listen. She’ll even leave the table and go sit on the couch and just play on her phone. She constantly gets upset whenever we try and role play and takes any criticism super personally. She really just doesn’t get the game and half the time we have to meta explain to her situations that should be blatantly obvious. (For example, this murdering bandit that is walking away from 8 massacred bodies is going to try and murder us, even if your alignment is lawful good it doesn’t matter). She got so upset and refused to participate after. I have more examples but in short, she just doesn’t understand/want to understand role playing. It’s not like she’s new to this either, she’s been playing for several months. She just doesn’t care about the game at all and at one point made her BF (DM) level up her character for her because she didn’t want to. I don’t care if she has a hard time understanding, but she doesn’t even care to learn.

Now to the WIBTA part. Our group is breaking up so I’ve decided to recruit people off reddit for a new group including me, my bf, and the original DM. T is moving 3 hours away from where the campaign will take place so I told the DM that I don’t think we can have someone that far away in the group due to attendance issues and he agreed. I’ve told him about the people I recruited online and he seemed to be excited, Except earlier today he mentioned adding two more coworkers to the group (making it 7 with current and new players) and I asked him if that was too many. He listed the people who he thought were playing and in that list was T. I don’t even know what to say, I really want to play d&d with him as the DM, but I can’t bring myself to play with her again. She makes me dread sessions and d&d is supposed to be fun. There’s also the 3 hour away thing that makes it a bad idea as well. If he insists on her playing I might have to tell him how I feel. WIBTA if I said I didn’t enjoy playing with his GF because of how she plays?

TLDR; DM’s gf is a terrible and inconsiderate d&d player that now lives 3 hours away from where sessions will be. WIBTA if I said I don’t want to play with her?

AITA for being racist on myself?

quote:

Let me get this straight, I am fairly white and I LOVE my skin colour. I love seeing my skin white colour sometimes and I get lost in thoughts on how I would feel less special if I was of any other colour. Please believe me I don't hate/dislike black people or their colour. But I feel a lot lucky that I am white.

It's just a preference for myself that I like keep to myself, I never allow it to get in the way of my professional life. I never have once judged/preferred a person because of their colour. In fact, my friend whom I respect the most except for my parents is not white. But if I were dead and given a chance to be reborn, then I would choose white as my colour. PLEASE, someone tell AITA for possibly being racist and putting myself in such preferences?

AITA for demanding my neighbors move their clothes line that blocks the entrance to my home?

quote:

Recently I bought a vacation cottage in a small community. I park my car in front of my house, next to my neighbors porch and their is a small pathway down to the landing where my house is. All of this is considered "my land". I come home to other day and there is clothes line put up from the neighbors porch connecting to a tree I own, and their dirty clothes are hanging down over the one path to get into my house. I promptly left a note saying I felt it was inappropriate and rude, and told them to take it down tomorrow or I would be happy too. The next day as I am getting home from work, I see them on their deck so I remind them to take the line down and how I feel it is disrespectful. My neighbor who is a 33 year old women, begins sobbing on the spot, saying that that clothes line has been up since she was a kid, and then comments about how "you haven't even been alive for 30 years let alone lived here for thirty years". I was pretty shocked by her reaction, especially the crying. After a 10 minute conversation that went no where, I just left and took it down and told them if it went up again I would take it back down. For the past couple of days whenever I see her she gets teary and emotional and says I am a "bully". She gives off hand petty remarks like "if you were so mature you would've used proper punctuation and capitalization in your note or talked to me and my family man to man" Did I handle this wrong? I feel this was a very blunt, direct and sensible request on my part. I am pretty confused by the all around response I got and feel they are trying to take advantage of me because of my age and being new, and weren't prepared for any resistance. I am a 22 y/o male.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

zakharov posted:

"I am above you" feels like a phrase that got mangled in translation from something not as rude in German. Total guessing on that one though.

No, it's still rude in German. We use different pronouns for people higher ranked or unfamiliar to us, maybe that was throwing her off.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Rubellavator posted:

5 pages ago was 5am today, so gently caress you I'll voice my opinions whenever unless a mod steps in

No talking about the posts in /r/relationships in the thread for talking abouts posts in /r/relationships.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No, it's still rude in German. We use different pronouns for people higher ranked or unfamiliar to us, maybe that was throwing her off.

I retract that then but the students were still out of line, I don't care how Australian they are.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tythas posted:

Throwaway because my DM has my main account and uses this sub.

Oh, I thought this highly specific situation might be about me, but it's on a throwaway account so it must not be

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh, I thought this highly specific situation might be about me, but it's on a throwaway account so it must not be

I think it's more the DM doesn't normally read that sub, but if he sees his friend has posted there, he might look.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

DemoneeHo posted:

MIL pocket dialled me, heard her calling me a bad parent.

This dude/lady may be shocked to hear, but everyone thinks everyone else is a bad parent, maybe don't take it personally, and also don't feed your kid loving chips and maybe get control of your feral child

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blade Runner posted:

I mean I don't actually care and I don't think most people would but it seems like a weird take to say this in the context of professional titles, if someone insisted on you calling them Doctor if they didn't have a PhD/MD etc.

If I want to be called Professor Brush and my students call me Sage, it's not an insult if I correct them. Irl I don't care but some professors really do.

"Professor" is an odd word in higher education because it's both a formal title and a generic term. Most of my students call anyone who's teaching a class "professor," even though that formally only applies to tenure-track faculty (adjuncts and GTAs being "lecturers"), and if you want to be real nitpicky I should technically be addressed as Associate Professor Brush because Professor is a rank above mine. The specific titles used for different ranks also vary from country to country. If this grad student wants to be called professor, it's a bit of an eye-roll, but in context she's not actually claiming a title she doesn't have (as it would be if she insisted on being called Doctor prior to earning her Ph.D).

She's an rear end in a top hat for saying she's "above the rest of you" though.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 27, 2019

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Tythas posted:

WIBTA if I refused to play D&D with the DM’s gf?

It’s not worth the stress bro, just bow out gracefully

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ElGroucho posted:

This dude/lady may be shocked to hear, but everyone thinks everyone else is a bad parent, maybe don't take it personally, and also don't feed your kid loving chips and maybe get control of your feral child

Here is a personal insult.

Don't take it personally.

???

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

HIJK posted:

How on earth does this happen, how do you get one chilled out average sibling and then the other sibling is a ginormous prick

I don't know, let me ask my really relaxed broth- oh.

Pick posted:

Hey guess what, most of you guys ARE really misogynistic and the fact that it's a lot of you doesn't mean you're not all in the wrong on many scenarios presented.

Misanthropic, please

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AITA for wanting my boyfriend to leave his pregnant wife

quote:

I met my now boyfriend at work. He flirted with me from the day I met him and since I don't typically like mixing work with pleasure I always blew him off. Then after about a month of his advances I agreed to go out with him. I found out along the way he was married but he didn't wear a wedding ring because that wasn't something men did in his culture and he was in an open marriage. I have always been ok with poly relationships so for me it was a non issue.

A couple of months later and he is telling me how unhappy he is in his marriage, how he is going to leave his wife and why he should have never gotten married. At this point I have real feelings for this man. Partially because he was so great and partially because I could feel his feelings for me and that brought down my guard. I also started to severely doubt he was in an open relationship but I ignored it. I decided to tell him about my love and that I wanted to be with him.

Another month goes by and he is reluctant to leave until his lease is up in 2 months. Those couple of months go by and he leaves his wife but when he came to tell me he was done, he also tells me she is pregnant. I am obviously upset because the timeline he gave me means he proactively got her pregnant after he told me he was leaving her. He then tells me he is just kidding about the pregnancy and he is divorced and we can be together. Ridiculous story right

About a month after leaving his wife he just disappears on me. Deletes me from social media in the middle of the day and blocks my number. He had left work I know because a coworker was looking for help covering his shift. I tried contacting him on anything I could think of with no luck. Then I get a call about 7 hours later. He couldn't be with me anymore. He had gotten back together with his wife who was actually pregnant and he never loved me.

I was devastated. I cried for days. Called into work. Couldn't eat. I knew he loved me but I didn't understand why he was doing this. I confronted him and he told me he felt guilty about leaving his wife pregnant and he thought it would be easier for me to move on if he told me he didn't love me and never did. (I also find out she is much farther along than he first said) He felt this need to take care of her because she was carrying his child. But I was the love of his life, His soul mate, and He would be back with me soon.

We're about 3 weeks later and I can't wait anymore it hurts to much. Any of his reasons to wait longer I can fix, except the pregnancy. That's still a thing. But really if he doesn't love her and is going to leave should he be giving her a false sense of family and hope? I tell him if he really wants to be with me he needs to stop pretending with her and leave. He agrees to tell her tomorrow. Like literally tomorrow. This Friday.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting my boyfriend to leave his pregnant wife when he doesn't love her.