Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really want to play Zero with a good translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Really sucks about the Cold Steel credits thing with Brittany.

:smith:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ryuga Death posted:

Really sucks about the Cold Steel credits thing with Brittany.

:smith:

It kind of does, but on the other hand people are treating it as some spite move designed specifically to screw Brittany over while it's simply a quirky company policy that's been in place for years and people never complained about until now. (it's why Brittany appears in the credits of Trails in the Sky FC despite not having worked on that game)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
getting all the dialogue in ys 2 seems like a chore that puts the kiseki games to shame. that gift system plus a three-item max carrying limit? sheesh

the roo transformation was a very cute idea though

hopefully now that i'm out of the first two games the maps will become less labyrinthine at least

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Erpy posted:

It kind of does, but on the other hand people are treating it as some spite move designed specifically to screw Brittany over while it's simply a quirky company policy that's been in place for years and people never complained about until now. (it's why Brittany appears in the credits of Trails in the Sky FC despite not having worked on that game)

I agree that it's not spite-based, but it's still an insanely lovely policy that people are only noticing now due to how ridiculous it is to erase a loc main credit due to someone getting cut for redundancy reasons.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Motto posted:

I agree that it's not spite-based, but it's still an insanely lovely policy that people are only noticing now due to how ridiculous it is to erase a loc main credit due to someone getting cut for redundancy reasons.

I kinda thought the policy of always crediting the whole team as a single entity had been public knowledge for years because of the other side of the coin; XSeed employees who confirmed not having worked on certain games nevertheless being listed in the credits section. It's why Tom is credited in three Trails games he did zilch work on. (people asked him about it and he already confirmed back then that everyone on the active team automatically got credit whether they worked on said game or not)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Special thanks" is a thing and has been a thing for a very long time

:shrug:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Glad more people are coming around to the superior Ys games, also glad to get a 3d Ys game that doesn't have handheld graphics

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 8, 2019

lord hobo
Mar 7, 2010

https://twitter.com/NISAinEurope/status/1138068294349598720?s=19

Release date!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That's one hell of a lot sooner than I was expecting. Though I guess it's not that weird they're picking THAT particular date.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No mention of a PC release date.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

tithin posted:

Doubt we're getting a PC version of CS3 and CS4 anytime soon

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

MagusDraco posted:

Doubt we're getting a PC version of CS3 and CS4 anytime soon

On a completely unrelated note how good is PS4 emulation these days

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol are you kidding me

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

tithin posted:

I'm actually okay with waiting. There's a possibility that more time can mean more focus and some polish after feedback from users who played the PS 4 versoions is taken into account.

Yeah, it's a slim chance, but it's all we've got.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Incidentally the American release date is 3 days prior.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If anything, the PC version will be worse than the console version by a large margin, considering how YS8 went

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Is it just me or does the voice acting seem worse in that Old Friends trailer? It somehow feels very...generic, unlike the previous games.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cryohazard posted:

On a completely unrelated note how good is PS4 emulation these days

They've got the emulated console booting into Safe Mode as of last week and that took like 2-4 years. So hell no games aren't going to be working.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1138561733872705536

That's some sweat off my brow!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol I'm happy for this clarification

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1138562467234177024

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm on the run-up to the last section of CS4 and I am so glad they threw in two whole side quests focusing on unresolved plot threads for both the Liberl and Crossbell crew. Getting the SSS back together was especially awesome because they even threw in a segment where you had to figure out what happened from witness testimonies. It wasn't particularly deep but still an appreciated callback.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

some amazing bootlegs out there

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I finally beat all of the doors in Sky 3. The fishing game was driving me mad until I thought to try it on my keyboard instead of with my bluetooth controller. I guess there's just enough of a delay with the wireless connection that it can't quite register my input in the already very narrow confirmation window. Once I switched to the keyboard, I basically got 8/10 including two massive fish. Still came down to the RNG as I was only ahead by 20 points on his last cast.

I did a run of the Abyss with my core team and have 4 final weapons. I don't think there's anything left for me to do now but the last dungeon.

Also, the Renne stuff has made my skin crawl and I kind of wish it wasn't part of the series.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm finally playing Zero and this one is hitting a lot harder for me than the Sky games even through the crummy translation. i'm kind of blown away at how good it is. and i already liked Sky quite a bit!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Beat Sky 3. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was suffering from some of the texture issues that another poster was having who started it at around the same time as me. Errors popped up after the last boss, so the final goodbyes looked awful and all the characters just ran through a big glowing square. Then it cut to black and what I assume is the song for the end credits before crashing. So I didn't get to save my data for new game plus or see whatever was supposed to play during the song. I guess I'll be popping over to YouTube to see if something else was supposed to happen.

It's not like I was ever going to play this a second time. It was definitely much worse than Sky 1 and 2. I might even now be in the group of people "waiting for a PC release" of Cold Steel 3 because I'm kind of burned out on the series. I just did a marathon of Sky 1 and 2, Cold Steel 2, and Sky 3 since Christmas. Even if Sky 3 were a masterpiece I'd be tired of the mechanics. But mostly I just really hate Kevin.

I kind of stuck to the characters that I liked using or was used to using for most of the game, so the end dungeon was neat just because I had to suddenly come up with parties that I thought might work. Most of them ended up working better than I thought they would and so the first three bosses were push-overs (gently caress Anima though). My favorite was Team Bro (Agate, Zin, Mueller, and Richard) basically punching the dragon to death. That battle wasn't even close.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Beat Sky 3. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was suffering from some of the texture issues that another poster was having who started it at around the same time as me. Errors popped up after the last boss, so the final goodbyes looked awful and all the characters just ran through a big glowing square. Then it cut to black and what I assume is the song for the end credits before crashing. So I didn't get to save my data for new game plus or see whatever was supposed to play during the song. I guess I'll be popping over to YouTube to see if something else was supposed to happen.

yeah this is exactly what i was afraid of happening to me before i pulled the ripcord. the glitches always kicked in after 2-3 hours of play and especially after cutscenes and boss fights, which didn't bode well for the final sequence

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I just wanted to say a few words about some Falcom music that was recently released. The soundtrack to Ys 8 was really enjoyable and I scooped it up from Amazon right after finishing the game. The other day, I found out that Falcom released an arranged album of Ys 8 music called Ys VIII SUPER ULTIMATE . This will probably make me sound weird but I've been listening to it non stop since purchasing it.

You can listen to the entire album on the Falcom Music Channel on youtube. It's also available on Amazon, Itunes, and Spotify, I think.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Oxxidation posted:

yeah this is exactly what i was afraid of happening to me before i pulled the ripcord. the glitches always kicked in after 2-3 hours of play and especially after cutscenes and boss fights, which didn't bode well for the final sequence

I probably enjoyed the core gameplay more which is what got me through. Plus I have a 3 year old so getting to play for several hours at a stretch isn't really an issue, except for when I did my final dungeon run last night.

Anyway, whatever was stopping the textures from loading blocked the credits and the post-credits scene and the Save Clear Data prompt. I YouTubed it and there was a final bit of dialog. It was meh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

I just wanted to say a few words about some Falcom music that was recently released. The soundtrack to Ys 8 was really enjoyable and I scooped it up from Amazon right after finishing the game. The other day, I found out that Falcom released an arranged album of Ys 8 music called Ys VIII SUPER ULTIMATE . This will probably make me sound weird but I've been listening to it non stop since purchasing it.

You can listen to the entire album on the Falcom Music Channel on youtube. It's also available on Amazon, Itunes, and Spotify, I think.

Tbqh if there’s anyone in this thread that thinks you’re a weirdo for listening to an album of hype remixes/remasterings of Ys tracks I’m pretty sure they don’t belong here

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yo poo poo they finally unveiled the full continent of Zemuria in a magazine

Well, I mean I guess technically only half of it, but we got the outlines!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
's big.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

have they actually said that the next arc will be in Calvard or are people just assuming that?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Kinda what I expected but my biggest surprise is that Calvard is big as gently caress. Also my guess is those islands in the south are Ored? Characters mention you could go there by train so I thought it was like on the main continent but guess not.

That island to the east though is probably like Japan because they keep mentioning all the immigrants that are in Calvard come from the east and they are totally japanese like.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ored is north of Crossbell on the other side of Erebonia, bordering Remiferia.

Calvard is HUUUUUGE.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Erebonia is the largest second fiddle ive ever seen

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

seeing as Calvard's big issue is immigration, I'm assuming a good chunk of that darkened area is a bunch of other countries

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

seeing as Calvard's big issue is immigration, I'm assuming a good chunk of that darkened area is a bunch of other countries

My guess is that in the Eastern part of that landmass is fantasy-China and the island east of that is fantasy-Japan, since a lot of Japanese fantasy IPs do that sort of thing (like FF14).

The story has implied a bunch of Important poo poo going down in The East (to the extent where it seems implied that it's tied into the purpose of Ouroboros existing as an organization), so I get the impression that's also the cause of the immigration. So I guess something is wrecking fantasy-Japan/China, resulting in heavy immigration to Calvard.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Don't suppose anyone can translate some of those names. What are the countries other than North Ambria to the north of Erebonia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Zaggitz posted:

Don't suppose anyone can translate some of those names. What are the countries other than North Ambria to the north of Erebonia?

Remiferia is the big one, since I think it's considered one of the major geopolitical players (they were one of the five governments represented at the trade conference in Crossbell).