Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin'

:siren: :frogsiren: WIP :frogsiren: :siren:

There's still plenty to be done here. I've still got to shade and highlight the additional armor panels - I've already taken care of the panels that are part of the body. After that, I've got details to do like the plasma (blue) and lenses (yellow). Still not sure what color to do the missiles, but may go with bone. I'm planning on an urban basing scheme for these models to help offset the green and brass.

And then there's the decals. :shepface:

Fantastic. Red and green schemes are wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MrFlibble posted:

Thats supposed to be a magic or Icy blue. I think most people do blue horrors in Talassar blue? Or maybe Ultramarine blue.

Yeah I kinda figured it out afterwards :)

I slapped on a second layer and it's still a very light blue, but I kinda dig it. I think I'll finish this baby up and see how it looks, and if it turns out naff there's always paint stripper.

Both yellows I've tried are god drat good though. Tomorrow I'll try to paint some Sigmarines with Templar Black. Those would probably benefit from a black primer, right?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Der Shovel posted:

Both yellows I've tried are god drat good though. Tomorrow I'll try to paint some Sigmarines with Templar Black. Those would probably benefit from a black primer, right?

Nooo. Contrast paints all need a light primer. Black templar one coat will give you an old black leather effect, two coats will give you edgy black as my soul black. I think for metal/armour black the recommendation is Basil/space wolves grey and then templar, but my paints still haven't arrived so I can't confirm.

EDIT: although templar over leadbelcer would give you a black steel kind of look.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MrFlibble posted:

Nooo. Contrast paints all need a light primer. Black templar one coat will give you an old black leather effect, two coats will give you edgy black as my soul black. I think for metal/armour black the recommendation is Basil/space wolves grey and then templar, but my paints still haven't arrived so I can't confirm.

EDIT: although templar over leadbelcer would give you a black steel kind of look.

Oh no poo poo, not black, I was thinking of a grey primer as opposed to a white one.

But actually, I do have some metal sigmarines here... let's see.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Has anyone had any success painting robes with Contrast paint yet?

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired

inscrutable horse posted:

I think we've just been bad at explaining what we've been talking about. As far as I can remember, there is only "hinge", or arm-to-gun attachment thing for each arm. But if my memory serves me correctly, it was easy enough to magnetize your way around that issue.
Either that, or I had intended to clone that part as well v:v:v

No - the bit outlined in red in the picture that was posted is something I had for every weapon that came with my knight. I never had to chose which one to attach it to, only the... mechanical bicep?

I have the double knight box set, bought a couple of years ago.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Oh no poo poo, not black, I was thinking of a grey primer as opposed to a white one.

But actually, I do have some metal sigmarines here... let's see.

Have you tried using the official GW contrast primers? I have seen some people say that it helps a bit with pooling. I just did my first Contrast Marine today with Ultramarines Blue over the Grey Seer primer. It looks pretty good, not too much pooling. You really do have to slap a lot of it on at once though. Definitely One Thick Coat.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Marzipan Pig posted:

No - the bit outlined in red in the picture that was posted is something I had for every weapon that came with my knight. I never had to chose which one to attach it to, only the... mechanical bicep?

I have the double knight box set, bought a couple of years ago.

Huh, well, looks like there really were significant differences between the kits, then :/

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

inscrutable horse posted:

Huh, well, looks like there really were significant differences between the kits, then :/

The arms on the kit haven't changed in the various packagings. I bought a single knight kit and didn't have to copy any parts to make magnetizing work, though I did just glue one set of greebles onto the gun arm instead of magnetizing each individual part for the battle cannon / melta

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The robes on my grot rigger came out pretty well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Agreed. Did you do anything special?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I threw some Flesh Tearers Red over Grey Seer on some Custodes I'm working on, pulling it down into the recesses. It achieved an instant base/shade, but the highlights were super desaturated (which I guess is to be expected). This is it after a couple of highlights of Mephiston Red through Troll Slayer Orange, but the majority of it is a single coat of contrast.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Agreed. Did you do anything special?

Nope. Just a contrast paint over the wrathbone. I think it's either skeleton horde or the dunes color. The only real fiddliness was "erasing" a few bits of cross-paint with the legs with a bit of white paint. It probably helps that it's such a small figure, so the contrast has a lot of relatively small detail to work with. It's also a relatively light paint; if it was a darker paint, I might have needed to add a bit to the highlights to make it pop more.

Also, cross-post!

JackMann posted:

Done! 1000 points of orks done since I started in November. I've really accelerated as I've gone along. I managed to get five boyz done in December. I finished another five, plus a warboss and three kanz in January/February. March was a bit dead, but then I got ten boyz done in April, three bikes, a shokkjump dragsta and megatrakk scrapjet in May, and then a painboy, five nobz (plus ammo grot) and a battlewagon this month. I really need to paint more boyz (plus at least one more HQ to make a legal battalion), but I'm really happy with how far I've come in that time. I can't wait to get these lads onto the table!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a better shot after some more cleanup:

Blades are also contrast (the two blues over silver), which I think has potential but I'm not happy with yet. Base on the right is Space Wolves Grey over some texture paint, which also needs work.

All in all I'm finding contrast to be an amazing time saver but not an all-in-one solution, which is fine with me.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
wondering if anyone can help me flesh out an idea i have. I am painting orks, and I want to do some bases to make it look like they're tramping through grass and churning it into mud. So I want some mud (citadel texture) and some flock, and some little static tufts. My first attempt I put on some blobs of texture paint, then put down some pva and flock. It didn't turn out great, it looks like grass rivers on a mud base. I think the grass needs to be the higher elevation and the mud lower, but I'm not sure how to get the effect like I want.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacegoat posted:

Got a better shot after some more cleanup:

Blades are also contrast (the two blues over silver), which I think has potential but I'm not happy with yet. Base on the right is Space Wolves Grey over some texture paint, which also needs work.

All in all I'm finding contrast to be an amazing time saver but not an all-in-one solution, which is fine with me.

That looks great.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Some of my own Contrast experimentation, although both got a fair dose of traditional painting.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jassi007 posted:

wondering if anyone can help me flesh out an idea i have. I am painting orks, and I want to do some bases to make it look like they're tramping through grass and churning it into mud. So I want some mud (citadel texture) and some flock, and some little static tufts. My first attempt I put on some blobs of texture paint, then put down some pva and flock. It didn't turn out great, it looks like grass rivers on a mud base. I think the grass needs to be the higher elevation and the mud lower, but I'm not sure how to get the effect like I want.

You could put a layer of something like milliput or spreadable wood filler on the base, then dig out the area you want to be lower elevation, and then put your texture paint and flock on top of it. Be careful doing that with crackle paint though, as it can also crackle weaker substrates beneath it, like wood filler.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Painted a bunch of green dudes with 5 different versions of Dark Green.

Also reviewed them for goonhammer here:
https://www.goonhammer.com/which-dark-angels-green-is-best-dark-angels-green-citadel-vallejo-instar-and-contrast-head-to-head/

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hot drat. What was your method?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hot drat. What was your method?

Slopped it on, watched out for pooling, blended wet.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When you're whisking away excess paint, in order to prevent pooling, do you use the same brush that you're applying the paint with, or do you have a separate dried brush on the side for that task? I've never really had to do that before and wondered what best practices are.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Gunder posted:

When you're whisking away excess paint, in order to prevent pooling, do you use the same brush that you're applying the paint with, or do you have a separate dried brush on the side for that task? I've never really had to do that before and wondered what best practices are.

I just wipe off the brush I'm using with a paper towel nearby.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I can't loving figure out Contrasts. Either everything looks white/grey with a thin layer of colour on top of it, or completely saturated.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Der Shovel posted:

I can't loving figure out Contrasts. Either everything looks white/grey with a thin layer of colour on top of it, or completely saturated.

Isn't that basically what it's meant to be?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Another Thursday night, another speed painted Chapter. This week Salamanders

A bit sloppy but I only had 2 minutes to spare to keep it under 90mins. Mostly thinned contrast over DG green spray.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, uh, you aren’t the issue here.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Der Shovel posted:

to expand - yep. A bunch of colours work like a wash, and a bunch of others just seem to obliterate everything and leave one colour.

There's no indication which will do what. It truly is a paint range of contrasts.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Already posted this in the Historicals thread, but figured it was worth dropping in here as well:
Cross-postin' from the Oath Thread.

Oath Complete!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah I've been feeling pretty lukewarm on Contrast so far. They are fine and I will use them on the chaff but they are by no means anything revolutionary. There also seems to be a deceptively steep learning curve to using them and getting good results.

The snakebite leather has been the main standout for me so far and I will probably use it often. Terradon turqouise is my least favorite, although I have not tried using it heavily thinned which I think might be the key. Honorable mentions to volupus pink and iyanden yellow which are both nice.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to paint, but I found this video helpful in understanding how best to manipulate the contrast paints to ensure minimal streaks/blotching. They're never going to look amazing in a close-up shot unless you're prepared to do some extra work after applying the contrast, but they should look totally fine for throwing on a tabletop and not feeling bad about your paint job.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Question for people with experience using cork for bases:

How do you "seal" the edges of the cork? It seems kinda flimsy, to the point where drybrushing it feels like it might make it crumble. Would giving it a wash of water + PVA glue harden that up, or is it sturdier than it feels?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I painted the burna boyz I had laying around, plus some assorted other boyz. I tried out the contrast paints for stuff like bones and leather and it worked quite well I think.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Question for people with experience using cork for bases:

How do you "seal" the edges of the cork? It seems kinda flimsy, to the point where drybrushing it feels like it might make it crumble. Would giving it a wash of water + PVA glue harden that up, or is it sturdier than it feels?

Watered down PVA is great for sealing stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Watered down PVA is great for sealing stuff.

Yeah, either watered down PVA or I use mod podge, sometimes with paint mixed in so I don't have to do as much work

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Awesome, thanks guys!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

darnon posted:

Some of my own Contrast experimentation, although both got a fair dose of traditional painting.

who is frog wizard and where can i get him

also, nice paint work

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Silhouette posted:

who is frog wizard and where can i get him

also, nice paint work

Those frog men are from the Minions faction in Warmahordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hot dad
Dec 2, 2018

Ilor posted:

Already posted this in the Historicals thread, but figured it was worth dropping in here as well:
Cross-postin' from the Oath Thread.

Oath Complete!

Gorgeous looking truck, Ilor! I love the weathering and chipping. How do you handle the windows and windscreen? I've got a couple trucks to paint and I've no idea how to approach them.

Speaking of sandy-coloured vehicles, here's a tonk:

One of Zvezda's 15mm kits. The detail isn't in such sharp relief as Battlefront or PSC plastics so you need to be really sure your paint's nice and thin.