Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arivia posted:

What do you ever need to stash in an Infinity Engine game? I've only ever had problems carrying all the loot out of a dungeon to sell, if that. Weight is generally the limit, not inventory space spread across six characters.
What if I'm not using six characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

sebzilla posted:

You need to be wary of ones in areas that have multiple instances, like the De'Arnise Keep. Anything you stash before beating Tor'Gal will be gone afterwards. I'm not 100% on any others but there are probably a few.

The thieves' guild in BG2's docks have multiple instances on the main and lower floors (but not the lockpicking practice room or anything else on that floor).

Also, re: Durlag's, the upper floors are far easier than the lower ones and I think a party of level 4s could probably handle them. You'll definitely want to get that jerk eaten by the demon, though; you're going to have an awful time trying to fight her. And you'll want one of the bazillion scrolls of protection from petrification (the spell, not the self-usable green-icon scroll) to deal with the basilisks outside. But that's a bunch of gold and at least one +2 sword that you can get without putting yourself in too much danger.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the upper levels aren't difficult. I always kill the demon because demons are bad (and worth lots of xp). Fortunately you can just ignore that whole thing and come back for it later if you are having trouble killing her early. I forget if you need the tour guide's runestone to get access to the lower floors or not - I always do the tour because it's funny - but if so you might not even be able to get to lower Durlag's at all without a long (albeit not difficult) detour to Ulgoth's Beard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Six characters and ammo belts, bags of holding, gem/scroll/potion bag mean I've never needed to stash poo poo. There's room enough.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I always stash Cromwell components in a barrel near his forge. There's no point carrying them around.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I've finally beaten BG1 for the first time!

Durlag's Tower wasn't as bad the second time around- I attribute that to stocking up on +2 weapons and getting really lucky with Neera's wild mage rolls. The real kick in my rear end was the cultists at the Beard when I went to return the dagger.

I think I probably reloaded 30 or more times before I finally had that fight won. I bought out the magic shop in Baldur's Gate to not have my party members get held and die by the demon just looking at them. It was such a rollercoaster of emotions, too, killing that guy for the first time only for him to jump into the body of a nearby cultist.

Sarevok wasn't as bad, but still a pretty tough fight. I cheesed it juuust a little bit by having summoned creatures act as target dummies while Angelo, Tazok, and the other wizard guy came down to attack us. Those three alone had my entire party at half health, but I was able to quicksave after killing all of them and went up to finish Sarevok, who wasn't as much of a pushover as I thought he was going to be.

Time to break a little bit before doing Siege of Dragonspear. Overall, really excited I finally cleared this game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Congrats!

Yeah Sarevok is just a big ol' block of stats. His stats are good, but at the end of the day he doesn't have any tricks besides hitting you a lot. A harsh lesson about being a fighter in AD&D.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mzbundifund posted:

Congrats!

Yeah Sarevok is just a big ol' block of stats. His stats are good, but at the end of the day he doesn't have any tricks besides hitting you a lot. A harsh lesson about being a fighter in AD&D.

Before Tales of the Sword Coast came out Sarevok had a huge ol bunch of magic resistance and was completely immune to magic missile. It was awful.

...on the other hand, there also wasn’t a summon cap so :shrug:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The best thing about the Sarevok fight is the moment that you realize the least dangerous thing in the room is Sarevok.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crowetron posted:

The best thing about the Sarevok fight is the moment that you realize the least dangerous thing in the room is Sarevok.

"It's Sarevok, we need to be careful and take him serious-HOLY gently caress THAT GUY IS FIRING FIREBALL ARROWS KILL HIM NOW NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!"

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Crowetron posted:

It took me like the fourth playthrough to realize the chain fireballs weren't from the mage but from the captain of the guard.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's funny when Angelo kills himself by shooting arrows of detonation point blank at my fire immune Jaheira.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isn't it possible to get Xan to the point that his Fire Resistance is so high he gains health if he takes fire damage?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isn't it possible to get Xan to the point that his Fire Resistance is so high he gains health if he takes fire damage?

You can do that with a lot of characters, if not everyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think EE made it so having over 100% fire resistance no longer heals you, but I've never done my gimmick run to test it (hello Club of Detonation).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Skwirl posted:

I think EE made it so having over 100% fire resistance no longer heals you, but I've never done my gimmick run to test it (hello Club of Detonation).

Why would you change something so amazing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't know, especially since it only matters in gimmick runs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sweet geek swag posted:

It may have not been part of the rules in actual D&D. (Not super familiar with 2e rules outside of Infinity Engine games.)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Skwirl posted:

There goes any interest I had in ever getting the EE.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Unless there's been a very recent change, that's definitely not the case. I used the fireball traps in Durlag's to heal my Blade multiple times during my last solo run.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Me and a Friends got Icewind Dale EE from GOG and have been playing a couple of sessions together. It's really fun, but also buggy and laggy (saving takes a while, transfering items between characters makes the game hitch and sometimes the items disappear, things stutter and generally feel wonky etc).We've been using the ingame server browser to set up the game, is it better to to it some other way, or use Hamachi or something? When playing single player the game runs smooth and snappy. Anyone have any experience with this?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

rocketrobot posted:

You can do that with a lot of characters, if not everyone.

You can stack the level 2 and 3 resistance spells that druids and clerics have, so yup it's very easy.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

bike tory posted:

You can stack the level 2 and 3 resistance spells that druids and clerics have, so yup it's very easy.

Wait, really? You mean I could have been taking no damage from fireballs this entire time?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The duration on them sucks but yeah it's very easy to get 100%+ FR

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

For the low price of 100 bux, you can get a collectors edition of a game you can get for 10 bux on PC right now. For 200, you can get all of the infinity engine games + NWN

https://store.skybound.com/products...uctpage-nosto-2

PST/IWD pack is less reliant on mods than the other games, so I guess that's the best value, but still. What a racket

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just bought Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on GOG and I hate the AI scripts. All I want is a script where once I've told them to attack people, they automatically switch targets when their target is dead, and not for any other reason ever. Has anyone got a script like that?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Still less bad than the EE still having the instadeath bug in the corridor before the elemental rooms in Durlag

What's the deal with that anyway? I wasn't very happy when one of my ironman characters just up and died for no real reason in the Tower.

Skwirl posted:

Nah, you can still get healed with enough resistance stacking. It does cap at 127%, but I believe that was true for the original games as well.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chairchucker posted:

I just bought Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition on GOG and I hate the AI scripts. All I want is a script where once I've told them to attack people, they automatically switch targets when their target is dead, and not for any other reason ever. Has anyone got a script like that?

Check the Beamdog forums - there's several custom script mods in there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chairchucker posted:

The scripts work like that already. There’s the actual scripts you can select, and then there’s the “custom” buttons on the right that also work good. Are you sure you have their AI enabled? I just fired this up yesterday and did the first bit of goblin killing in Easthaven; and my little dudes target new enemies without issue.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I think the problem they're referring to is your PCs randomly switching targets in the middle of combat. I've had it happen to me and it's infuriating.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That's why you turn the AI off.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I don't turn it off, because I don't want to micromanage my party for every trash mob I run into. I would also like it to not slow fights down by having my PCs arbitrarily change their targets. Don't be asinine.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Even with the AI off, party members will usually retarget the nearest mob when the current one dies. They won't do this if there are no more enemies in their line of sight, but if all you are doing is attacking down trash, turning off the AI does exactly what you asked for.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

Turning off AI stops your party members from doing anything under their own initiative. They won't even respond to enemies engaging them in melee, let alone seeking new targets after they've killed one.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zeerust posted:

Turning off AI stops your party members from doing anything under their own initiative. They won't even respond to enemies engaging them in melee, let alone seeking new targets after they've killed one.

I assure you, I play with the AI off all the time, and my characters are constantly retargeting. If you order them to attack they will continue to attack all enemies in range of their currently equipped weapon from their current position until they are all dead. Once all enemies in range of their weapon are down you will have to manually retarget them.

Edit: Just to be clear, here is some raw footage from the LP I'm doing. I order my people to attack once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMMTZYqOYh0

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 30, 2019

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I always have AI off and the retargeting happens all the loving time. It annoys me to no end.

What's even better is if you force attacked a target to initiate combat (like in the fallen paladin quest), your morons could retarget random cyan circles and turn the whole area hostile.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

I assure you, I play with the AI off all the time, and my characters are constantly retargeting. If you order them to attack they will continue to attack all enemies in range of their currently equipped weapon from their current position until they are all dead. Once all enemies in range of their weapon are down you will have to manually retarget them.

Edit: Just to be clear, here is some raw footage from the LP I'm doing. I order my people to attack once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMMTZYqOYh0

Funnily enough, before my quoted response I went back and tested it myself - I sent my party to stand next to some ogres and they did nothing, I set my protag to fight one and when it was dead they just stood there without choosing a new target. Turns out, if you tell your PCs to attack as a party they do select new targets as you describe.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
BG isn't really made for it, but I think a semi-idle game where you manage a party of adventurers and watch them tackle dungeons (with speed up, obv.) sounds pretty cool. There are a couple games like that on phones, actually, but none with the mechanical complexity of an infinity engine game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For the low price of 100 bux, you can get a collectors edition of a game you can get for 10 bux on PC right now. For 200, you can get all of the infinity engine games + NWN

https://store.skybound.com/products...uctpage-nosto-2

PST/IWD pack is less reliant on mods than the other games, so I guess that's the best value, but still. What a racket

It is a racket, but I gotta admit, I do kinda want that medallion and squishy Morte.

Not nearly enough to spend $100 for a game I already own on a console I don't, that's for sure though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Randallteal posted:

BG isn't really made for it, but I think a semi-idle game where you manage a party of adventurers and watch them tackle dungeons (with speed up, obv.) sounds pretty cool. There are a couple games like that on phones, actually, but none with the mechanical complexity of an infinity engine game.

The more mechanical complexity you introduce the more frustrating it becomes not having direct control of characters.