Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lmao nothing matters

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Never trust a wierd shifty dude whose last name rhymes with Bates

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

Never trust a wierd shifty dude whose last name rhymes with Bates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSc6E4yG9s

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tayter Swift posted:

BofA is literally the last organization on the planet i would expect to take a stance on literally anything. They must have focus grouped the poo poo out of this policy.

They do more business with undocumented immigrants than any other larger bank, if I'm remembering correctly? It's super exploitative, not letting them into the country is taking money out of their pocket.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The census is used to determine federal funding for things like transportation funding, Medicare and Medicaid, money for law enforcement, etc etc etc. People are going to get pissy about illegitimate results, because it's going to affect a lot of paychecks at the state level. Can't really hide the level of conspiracy to fake the results and people are going to demand their money if you use the wrong form.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The cowards path, I will be angry 24/7 and you cannot stop me

No one's trying to stop you.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"Fresh protests hit Hong Kong as activists seek voice at G20"

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Protesters in Hong Kong blocked roads and forced workers to leave the justice secretary’s offices on Thursday in the latest unrest to rock the city over an extradition bill that has now been suspended.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-extradition/fresh-protests-rock-hong-kong-as-activists-seek-a-voice-at-g20-idUSKCN1TS0DJ

"Georgians Have Now Been Protesting Russian Interference for a Week. Here's Why"

"Thousands of demonstrators have taken to the streets of Georgia’s capital city Tbilisi since June 20 in protest against Russian interference, the largest demonstrations in over seven years."

https://time.com/5615726/anti-russia-protests-georgia/

"A Rush to the Street as Protesters Worldwide See Democracies Backsliding"

"In Prague last week, Czechs gathered in the largest demonstration since the fall of the Iron Curtain to demand the resignation of their prime minister over corruption accusations."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/world/czech-hong-kong-protests.html

"Extinction Rebellion: Glastonbury march by climate protesters"

"Thousands of festival-goers have taken part in a climate change protest march at Glastonbury Festival."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-48793814

"Wayfair Protest Demonstrates A New Era Of Employees Taking Charge"

'Wayfair employees walked out on the job on Wednesday to protest the company selling beds to furnish a detention center on the Southern border. The protest was publicized by media outlets across the country and attended by hundreds of employees and supporters, holding signs reading “no beds for concentration camps” and “abolish ICE.”'

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2019/06/27/wayfair-protests-demonstrate-a-new-era-of-employees-taking-charge

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I figured we'd be seeing more widespread, mass protests in the US at this point in Trump's presidency.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ershalim posted:

Is that not a serious question, though? None of our checks are checking. So like, what if they do just ignore the Supreme Court? The senate won't do anything about it, so...?

Or worse, the Supreme Court just consistently sides with Republicans because it's now partisan, which is what the founders were trying to avoid in its framing

SirPablo posted:

I figured we'd be seeing more widespread, mass protests in the US at this point in Trump's presidency.

Everyone is too broke and/or scared of nuts with guns or cars for it. The problem is that we're so loving fearful of losing the lovely jobs we are able to get that risking them fir protests the media will likely ignore anyhow is nigh-impossible. A general strike would fix problems within a month, but not enough people have the ability to do it for it to happen

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 28, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

BofA is literally the last organization on the planet i would expect to take a stance on literally anything. They must have focus grouped the poo poo out of this policy.

lol at people that still use banks and not credit unions.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PhazonLink posted:

lol at people that still use banks and not credit unions.

gently caress yeah. After the crash I took all my money out of the bank and do CUs now

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tibalt posted:

The census is used to determine federal funding for things like transportation funding, Medicare and Medicaid, money for law enforcement, etc etc etc. People are going to get pissy about illegitimate results, because it's going to affect a lot of paychecks at the state level. Can't really hide the level of conspiracy to fake the results and people are going to demand their money if you use the wrong form.

The concept was trump directly ignoring a Supreme Court decision openly. If he can do that why does he need census data to mess with transportation funding?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SirPablo posted:

That's not like, a thing we do, by and large

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tayter Swift posted:

IIRC Wells Fargo and Citi (maybe?) made similar announcements over a week ago.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The concept was trump directly ignoring a Supreme Court decision openly. If he can do that why does he need census data to mess with transportation funding?

Because abusers enjoy forcing this kind of situation on others? Why the gently caress do people continue to assume this broke brained dementia-riddled poo poo smear would do it for some kind of in depth political strategy? He's not capable of that kind of thought anymore, and it's an open question whether he ever cared to try in the first place.

The. Cruelty. Is. The. loving. Point.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

oh, we're back to Trump coup posting again?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SirPablo posted:

If they got too bad, Trump would Kent State the poo poo out of those protests.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tibalt posted:

oh, we're back to Trump coup posting again?

Yeah people, be reasonable. He clearly has a deep respect for rule of law!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Can someone explain to me why the republicans haven't packed the courts already? Can't they just add 8 more chuds and just decide that trump is potus for life?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

EngineerJoe posted:

Can someone explain to me why the republicans haven't packed the courts already? Can't they just add 8 more chuds and just decide that trump is potus for life?
They might have been able to do that two years ago but increasing the size of the court would never make it through the House right now.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

EngineerJoe posted:

It would effectively end their ability to pretend they're legitimate. And they've currently got a pretty good chance of solidifying a permanent majority. Giving that up for the much riskier play just isn't in Mitch's interest.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

EngineerJoe posted:

They don't have the House and they don't get as much benefit from breaking the seal first.

Once you pack the courts, the other side has permission to do the same.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
"LBJ complained to his cabinet that the only place he could give a campaign speech now was on an aircraft carrier."

:Just weeks before the elections, Johnson announced a halt in the bombings of North Vietnam in a desperate attempt to portray his administration as peacemakers."

https://millercenter.org/president/lbjohnson/foreign-affairs

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

GreyjoyBastard posted:

so far none of the rando mooks in the executive branch have been willing to blatantly ignore court orders and point guns at federal marshals who come to enforce them

ignoring the supreme court doesn't just involve the one man in the country who (arguably) isn't federally indictable, it involves an awful lot of miscellaneous bureaucrats who are

Trump can pardon them all...

edit: And Trump's goons are smart with marketing, they would undoubtedly make a big show out of the first pardon (dinner at the Whitehouse, photo and video ops with Trump gleaming, "look at how brave and loyal this person was!!") and hire that person into some cushy useless job at the Whitehouse. It would send a clear message to everyone else--be loyal and you'll be rewarded.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 28, 2019

tequilaunicorn
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks, goon who posted a few pages back about Shahid Buttar and his primary campaign here in CA district 12. I signed up to volunteer for his campaign, today's bullshit compelled me.

It won't undo my last vote for Pelosi but I know better now.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

They might have been able to do that two years ago but increasing the size of the court would never make it through the House right now.

The house doesn't have a say in the Supreme Court. They haven't packed the Supreme Court because they haven't needed to - they had a soft majority with Kennedy which has turned more in their favor since. If they keep the court with 9 justices there's a decent chance the Democrats will just let their majority sit for a decade plus. If the pack it, their majority is a lot less likely to survive a democratic Senate and President.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The house doesn't have a say in the Supreme Court.

they do if they're changing the number of justices. that's just a normal bill with normal rules.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

fool_of_sound posted:

they do if they're changing the number of justices. that's just a normal bill with normal rules.

Is that something Congress decides or can the president unilaterally declare more justices?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ewiley posted:

Is that something Congress decides or can the president unilaterally declare more justices?

fool_of_sound posted:

that's just a normal bill with normal rules.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

A general strike would fix problems within a month, but not enough people have the ability to do it for it to happen

This is a country with a racial caste system. A general strike is almost guaranteed to never happen again, because black and white workers generally refused to scab each other during 19th century general strikes in the US, which got business leaders to finally begin codifying and edifying a racial hierarchy in labor. Systematically and intentionally, America privileges white workers. Over the years, this privilege has started to erode in the face of global competition (hence the whitelash and popularity of trump), but it is still a primary driver of animus between workers. In Illinois, employer paid plans cover 71% of the white population but only 43% of the black population. Why would white people join a general strike when the vast majority of them are having their needs met through corporate paternalism?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.yahoo.com/news/shot-american-woman-miscarried-faces-homicide-charge-233010860.html

quote:

Washington (AFP) - An American woman who miscarried after being shot five times has been charged by Alabama authorities in the death of her fetus

Welp. Don't know what to say about this.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can't wait to get my red dress

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bomb Alabama.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ewiley posted:

It's set by legislative stature.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

tequilaunicorn posted:

Thanks, goon who posted a few pages back about Shahid Buttar and his primary campaign here in CA district 12. I signed up to volunteer for his campaign, today's bullshit compelled me.

It won't undo my last vote for Pelosi but I know better now.

Just gave him :10bux:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1144419410729242625

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m not going to defend what they did today.

But at what point are you going to acknowledge that the people who are critical of Democrats and routinely predict this behavior aren't just being sadbrains or whatever the gently caress?

Like, I'm not necessarily trying to be confrontational here, but people poo poo on establishment Democrats because they have a history of doing this kind of thing. It's not a fluke that Pelosi's first instinct isn't too immediately and brutally throw Schumer and these moderates under the bus, it's part of a pattern of behavior.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

Trump can pardon them all...

edit: And Trump's goons are smart with marketing, they would undoubtedly make a big show out of the first pardon (dinner at the Whitehouse, photo and video ops with Trump gleaming, "look at how brave and loyal this person was!!") and hire that person into some cushy useless job at the Whitehouse. It would send a clear message to everyone else--be loyal and you'll be rewarded.
Can't pardon contempt of court and also you're missing the point of legitimacy. Here, watch:

"As Emperor, I order the Marines to seize the ports at Havana. This is a completely real proclamation by me, Emperor Norton II." Now it's just a matter of whether people listen to me or not.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreyjoyBastard posted:

like, i think there are bad outcomes of the Census Stuff, but I don't think "they print the census with the question, ignoring the supreme court entirely, and nothing happens" is a plausible one

The system has done a totally awesome job at stopping abuses and keeping us adherent to the rule of law so far. We should totally keep putting our eggs in that basket.

The president is a rapist, racist, money laundering, lying, conman, moron who collaborates with foreign powers against the best interests of the country and that's just poo poo that's obviously provable. The system has done NOTHING about any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tayter Swift posted:

No kidding, they've been abusive as poo poo for decades. If you can't even rise to the moral standards of BofA that's just pathetic.