Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I’m a publisher (ebooks and what not) and have finally ditched adobe for affinity photo. My question is, for a cover creating device, does an iPad Air work with an Apple Pencil, or should I go with the 11 inch iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil 2? I like that for $650 the Air gives me a 256gig drive for movies too. Again, this is a second screen for my MacBook Pro when I’m on the road and drawing (tweaking) covers device and media machine, not a laptop replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

So I’m a publisher (ebooks and what not) and have finally ditched adobe for affinity photo. My question is, for a cover creating device, does an iPad Air work with an Apple Pencil, or should I go with the 11 inch iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil 2? I like that for $650 the Air gives me a 256gig drive for movies too. Again, this is a second screen for my MacBook Pro when I’m on the road and drawing (tweaking) covers device and media machine, not a laptop replacement.

I think all iPads released in 2018 or later support the Pencil. The Air 3 was released in 2019, so it has support (first gen Pencil only).

I ditched Adobe for Affinity as well. I'm not entirely sure it was a good idea, but Adobe is going to hike their CC subscriptions to $20/month and that's just too darn high. Affinity can do everything I need it to do, it's just a matter of figuring out how to make it happen.

eames
May 9, 2009

priznat posted:

I am going to do a spreadsheet with all my monthly subscriptions and see what I can prune because it creeps up and gets out of control.

I have google drive, office 365 (family) and icloud along with EA origin (which I have cancelled when the year is up in Nov), netflix, prime, etc. Probably more I have forgotten.

There’s an app for that called Bobby, iirc it is free

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nice, thanks!

All these tiny bites add up.. and then I’m sure I will have to get Disney+ when it launches..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Doesn’t the pro have a better screen? I thought that was a thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Every current iPad supports the Pencil, (home buttonless) iPad Pro and Pencil 2 are just nicer if you can afford them, particularly the magnetic pairing and charging vs the rear lightning plug on the 1st gen. Also has a flat side, is a little shorter, and has the double tap gesture or something. iPad Pro has the 120hz refresh and is the new (even) lower latency in iOS 13 for iPad Pro/Pencil 2 only? Might be a moot point if you’re planning to work mostly w/the MBP in Sidecar mode.

Otherwise they’ll both work for what you want it sounds like, the Pro/Pencil 2 will just be better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

Ultimately it’s an assistive feature for now so keep that in mind. Not sure if anything has changed in the public beta but the main annoyance would probably be the big fat finger sized cursor. And if you need mouse hovering for your Windows workflow it won’t change anything with that afaik, but as far as other mouse control stuff in theory it should work as long as your remote app has a control mapping that works that way.

The Linus review (I know) refers to it as something like “using a mouse to replicate touch inputs instead of using a mouse like a traditional mouse”.

LionArcher posted:

So I’m a publisher (ebooks and what not) and have finally ditched adobe for affinity photo. My question is, for a cover creating device, does an iPad Air work with an Apple Pencil, or should I go with the 11 inch iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil 2?

Just say that you make smut. It’s ok. We like that. Hell I remember a few years back when a whole buncha goons got on the KDP smutbux train.

:allears: good times

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just say that you make smut. It’s ok. We like that. Hell I remember a few years back when a whole buncha goons got on the KDP smutbux train.

With his new iPad + Apple Pencil he can draw us like one of his French girls.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The Linus review (I know) refers to it as something like “using a mouse to replicate touch inputs instead of using a mouse like a traditional mouse”.

it sounds like he’s not sure that’s what a mouse does

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I write cozy mysteries too! But yeah. So much smut. It’s called romance these days :agesilaus:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

With his new iPad + Apple Pencil he can draw us like one of his French girls.

I’m not a good artist, but I am a good cover artist. It’s all stock photos for me baby.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Last Chance posted:

It’s not. You don’t replicate tap/long tap/swipe touch controls with a mouse on a desktop OS. The iPad mouse interface isn’t like ~super secret *wink wink* power user mode~ it’s an accessibility feature first and foremost.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It’s not. You don’t replicate tap/long tap/swipe touch controls with a mouse on a desktop OS. The iPad mouse interface isn’t like ~super secret *wink wink* power user mode~ it’s an accessibility feature first and foremost.
Yeah it’s like 99% just a virtual finger at this point. One example is selecting text, just click drag wherever on a desktop, but with the mouse-finger on the iPad it’ll scroll the page. You’d have to select text like you do with your finger. Some stuff will be totally fine, others like that could be weird cause touch UI conventions being different. The only actual mouse like stuff they've implemented so far is scrolling and programmable buttons for stuff like going to the home screen.

But for the intended use for whoever asked, a remote control app it can still work though if it has some kind of basic direct mapping option (where it just maps touch to click, drag to drag, and nothing else). The only stuff missing would be like hovering and right clicking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iPad os 13 beta has a pretty severe bug for me. The slide over windows will seem to get stuck (for lack of a better term) and I'm unable to switch apps or go to the home screen. A reboot fixes it but that's pretty show stopping.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Last Chance posted:

Mobile games zero-effort recompiled for desktop don't let you click too quickly because a tap has to be for a certain amount of time before it is registered.
You have to click and drag to scroll through lists.
Click and hold still for long press.
Stuff like that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It just occurred to me that mouse support might finally make the iOS port of Sid Meier's Colonization worth a drat. It's such an authentic port that it's not optimized in the least bit for touch. To the extent that you have to fake mouse clicks, which is just as annoying and unwieldy as it sounds.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

How do I dismiss a slideover app in iOS 13/iPadOS? When I swipe from the top it just bounces against the side or turns into a splitview app.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You have to swipe on the side of the floating app now, it’s weird.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm quite happy using the default calendar app in iOS, but I wish the widget could have more views than just "you've nothing on today". Is there a setting (or another app that I can just never launch but keep the widget) that y'all can recommend for changing it to "next 3 upcoming events" or "list of this week's events" or whatever?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm quite happy using the default calendar app in iOS, but I wish the widget could have more views than just "you've nothing on today". Is there a setting (or another app that I can just never launch but keep the widget) that y'all can recommend for changing it to "next 3 upcoming events" or "list of this week's events" or whatever?

On my iphone there’s a default widget called “up next” that does this I think.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Last Chance posted:

On my iphone there’s a default widget called “up next” that does this I think.
Unfortunately that also includes reminders and only seems to show one item, so 99% of the time I’ll just see a daily reminder instead of eg. a group of weekend calendar events.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone here use Yoink? From what I’m seeing, it acts as a temporary place to hold files before you move them to a different app, but if the app allows me to drag and drop stuff in the first place, couldn’t I just use the apps next to each other or in slideover? I’m so deathly confused by what this app actually brings to the workflow.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Trip report on iOS 13, the browser works with the Ancestry.com site. This hasn’t happened before so...good job Apple.

I honestly hadn’t noticed much of a difference with the browser, but most sites were relatively compatible with mobile Safari. It’s that 5% of sites that aren’t which ground everything to a halt.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trip report on iOS 13, the browser works with the Ancestry.com site. This hasn’t happened before so...good job Apple.

I honestly hadn’t noticed much of a difference with the browser, but most sites were relatively compatible with mobile Safari. It’s that 5% of sites that aren’t which ground everything to a halt.

I love the iPadOS beta and none of the bugs I've seen have been showstoppers for me- even if I can't remember the various swipe functions for the life of me.

What worries me is how many3rd party apps are going to be updated to take advantage of the new iPad only features. One example was this week trying to attend a meeting in Blackboard Collaborate. In the past I would just open the link in Safari and it would open the app, but now that Safari is downloading the .collab files directly there's no way I can find to then open that file in the share sheet, files app, or Collaborate itself.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've just made an amazing discovery! In the iOS 13 beta, if you press a volume button to bring up the volume indicator, you can then drag the indicator left and right to increase the volume quickly and precisely on the screen.

I wonder if the same works on the iPhone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've just made an amazing discovery! In the iOS 13 beta, if you press a volume button to bring up the volume indicator, you can then drag the indicator left and right to increase the volume quickly and precisely on the screen.

Similarly, you can hold the window scroll (like when you browse a web page) to quickly scroll through or get to a part of it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yep. Does the same on an iPhone. Neat catch.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's why it's as wide as it is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The volume slider is nice and I expect a lot of apps to just remove theirs - right now a lot have it right next and it is fairly redundant.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hatty posted:

You have to swipe on the side of the floating app now, it’s weird.
That has always worked for moving slide over apps around afaik.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone here use Yoink? From what I’m seeing, it acts as a temporary place to hold files before you move them to a different app, but if the app allows me to drag and drop stuff in the first place, couldn’t I just use the apps next to each other or in slideover? I’m so deathly confused by what this app actually brings to the workflow.
I use it as a temporary space I guess, thinking about it it doesn’t really make much sense for just a single move like your example. Best comparison I can think of (although not really accurate) is a clipboard manager vs just the clipboard. I just dump stuff there that I’ll need elsewhere, but not (or can’t) use immediately. Main thing over the clipboard or drag and drop is holding (and optionally organizing/sorting) multiple items, and keeping things in there persistently if you want.

I guess it’s like a lighter version the Files app, another analogy would be like working in a temp staging folder on the desktop.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
How stable is the public beta so far on the new IPPs? For browsing / Underlords / media consumption? I’m running the beta on my phone and haven’t had much issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Way buggier on the iPad. It works but I get consistent crashes if I try to do too much or swipe between apps too quickly.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've got an original 9.7" iPad Pro which works perfectly fine, but as I'm a gadget nerd I'm very tempted to pick up the current Pro model.

Is upgrading worth it though?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pitwar posted:

I've got an original 9.7" iPad Pro which works perfectly fine, but as I'm a gadget nerd I'm very tempted to pick up the current Pro model.

Will you miss the headphone jack?

Always be upgrading.

I went from a 12.9 first gen pro to the newest one and TBH the only thing that felt different was my wallet.

I’m absolutely happy with it but it honestly doesn’t feel like that huge of an upgrade.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I went from an Air 2 to the new Pros and it felt a ton more powerful (and the pencil is cool) but I don't get that "ew this poo poo is old and clunky" feeling I get when upgrading phones. Guess it won't be that big of an upgrade either going from old Pro to new Pro even with iOS 13 (which is a different story with the Air 2 obviously).

The new Pro form factor makes it feel a lot thicker, even moreso with the keyboard attached. I'd say wait another iteration though I love mine.

E: Got a question myself.

For note taking and organising projects (like keeping notebooks on different subjects and such, collecting PDFs, pictures etc., annotating), which is better, Notability or GoodNotes 5?

I feel GoodNotes is kinda more slick but doesn't support split-screen notes, which Notability does. OTOH, GoodNotes lets you pick custom notebook looks for your folder overview, which I'm not sure Notability does. Both cost almost the same, so that's not a factor. I got OneNote too but that feels kinda clunky and doesn't have searchable handwriting from what I gather. Hm.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 3, 2019

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Cheers guys, I think I'll wait until I need to upgrade as my old Pro still does the job.

I don't have an issue losing the headphone socket though as I use Airpods.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You’d lose the lightning connector, too (replaced with usb-c), if that makes a difference.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Pitwar posted:

Pitwar posted:

Cheers guys, I think I'll wait until I need to upgrade as my old Pro still does the job.

I don't have an issue losing the headphone socket though as I use Airpods.

I upgraded from a perfectly good iPad Pro 9.7 2016 model to an iPad Pro 11 2018 and I am exceedingly happy that I did. The larger screen is nice, it looks nicer, feels nicer, I really really like the Face ID, once I got used to not having a button I like that better, all of it is better.

I sold my iPad Pro for $250 to a friend and could likely have gotten more elsewhere.

That said, it wasn't cheap, and the other one worked fine. The new one is just quite a lot better though.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Zwille posted:

For note taking and organising projects (like keeping notebooks on different subjects and such, collecting PDFs, pictures etc., annotating), which is better, Notability or GoodNotes 5?

I feel GoodNotes is kinda more slick but doesn't support split-screen notes, which Notability does. OTOH, GoodNotes lets you pick custom notebook looks for your folder overview, which I'm not sure Notability does.

I haven’t used GoodNotes so I can’t compare directly, but I have Notability and love it. There isn’t an “overview” look that I can tell, it’s more similar to the look of OneNote with tabs on the side and then each note on the right side.

You can customize the “paper” you write notes on though, and that could be different for each section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Thank you, yeah I’ll get Notability then because frankly if I can customize the paper that’s enough, no need to customize the covers if it’s all list style.