Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Creepy twist: it was directed by Jared

Nah it showed the kid growing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

Nah it showed the kid growing up

Is this Loss?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

lmao I wasn't even close

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I landed on a shaving company, partly because Gillette's gotten weirdly woke lately and I thought maybe this was another company trying to artsily say 'we're for boys', but also because it had two scenes of shaving and that seemed like a weird choice otherwise.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Cotton?"
"Whiskey...?"
"...are you loving kidding me."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured defense contractor, but I had it on mute so I couldn't tell you what the music or dialogue were.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Who was he peeping on? His mom? :ohdear:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here is a commercial from several years ago, going the same pretentious route:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzqNDUkVbMg

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mierenneuker posted:

Here is a commercial from several years ago, going the same pretentious route:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzqNDUkVbMg

Now I just hate Vodafone for making me feel so goddamned lonely

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OGS-Remix posted:

I thought it was going to be an insurance or maybe a truck commercial.

Yeah, I started thinking insurance too. When he lost a girl and buzz cut his head my thought then was "something military."

I never, ever even considered the possibility of what it ended up being. I was like "wut."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Folgers incest commercial.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Hirayuki posted:

"Cotton?"
"Whiskey...?"
"...are you loving kidding me."

Got a healthy 'what the gently caress??' from me

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Frankly, it could well have been. I was going for insurance myself, and that would have made a lot more sense too.
I thought about insurance and then discarded it because of the underage kids without trousers/skirts and sexual awakening theme. Because, any big brand is going to be very careful about being associated with that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shut up Meg posted:

I thought about insurance and then discarded it because of the underage kids without trousers/skirts and sexual awakening theme. Because, any big brand is going to be very careful about being associated with that.

I dunno, Nationwide killed a kid during the Superbowl

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One of the most effective add I've seen is a UK traffic safety ad that starts with a dead kid and ends with her not being dead. What a difference 10 mph made...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Shut up Meg posted:

And yet the company with a disgraced pedophile rapist ex-spokesman is okay being associated with naked underage kids.

You'd think Subway of all companies would want to distance themselves from anything even remotely questionable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed a surprising number of Johnson & Johnson commercials touting all their good works instead of a specific product. One was about the first AIDS ward. Another was about cancer(!) research. Are they trying to preemptively influence any potential jury pools with the baby powder stuff?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are facing massive lawsuits for pushing opioids. Some other companies have already settled for hundreds of millions but maybe they are going to fight it.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Jun 28, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

One of the most effective add I've seen is a UK traffic safety ad that starts with a dead kid and ends with her not being dead. What a difference 10 mph made...

Those ads don't gently caress about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtJqw--DGl8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

They are facing massive lawsuits for pushing opioids. Some other companies have already settled for hundreds of millions but maybe they are going to fight it.

Well poo poo. I knew they had issues with baby powder, but I didn't realize they were getting nailed for opioids too.

Burn it all down.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
J&J have been infamous for quite some time I think. Baby powder is just the latest.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Whenever I see a company touting nothing but their good deeds I immediately wonder what they've just done and who they've hurt.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Panfilo posted:

Who was he peeping on? His mom? :ohdear:

The standard "hole in the wall of the girls' locker room at school".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Internet was a mistake

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19154220/grubhub-seamless-fake-restaurant-domain-names-commission-fees

GrubHub is just a 100% fraud

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

loving ballsy in its deviousness that is. Goddamn.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grubhub's response is even worse. "We actually don't do these tactics anymore."

So I guess it's all good now.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
So what, even if they get convicted the worst case is probably a fine that amounts to 1% of what they pull in in one day

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mu Zeta posted:

Grubhub's response is even worse. "We actually don't do these tactics anymore."

So I guess it's all good now.

Even the president couldn’t get away with that excuse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Schubalts posted:

The standard "hole in the wall of the girls' locker room at school".

Which is apparently still cool to do for some reason.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

Which is apparently still cool to do for some reason.

It's not cool to do at all, but its a thing to trigger Boomer/genx nostalgia. I don't imagine it happens much anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If we’re assuming a modern Subway in that commercial, then he’d been peeking at the ladies in ***checks notes*** 2005? So not Porky’s era, but definitely American Pie levels of uncomfortable sexuality.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Subway ad is apparently old and Brazilian, there was a slightly different version released in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9jrADizhY

I like how his entire life flashes before his eyes as he's watching the sandwich get made.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Picnic Princess posted:

The Subway ad is apparently old and Brazilian, there was a slightly different version released in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9jrADizhY

I like how his entire life flashes before his eyes as he's watching the sandwich get made.

That's because it was contaminated meat, so he died right after.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't really think this is dumb marketing because this commercial never fails to make me cry and the product actually sorta makes sense (at least more than the Subway ones), but since we're sharing these sorts of things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMX6H6YY1M

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
A little further afield, but I love this one as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXPGE0klmc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Surprised Subway haven't made an ad with this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV542dRK3uk

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
I don't understand what's happening here. How does a fake site get them a 20% commission? What does it mean that they "can bill" for it? Are they charging the customer a higher price? If they're charging the restaurants, then the restaurants must have agreed to the percentage. Were the restaurants lied to?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I just thought it meant that if you order on their fake menu for pickup they place your order on the real site and charge you a 20% “convenience fee”. You pay them an inflated rate, they pay the restaurant the regular rate, and they pocket the difference, like any good middleman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dylan16807 posted:

I don't understand what's happening here. How does a fake site get them a 20% commission? What does it mean that they "can bill" for it? Are they charging the customer a higher price? If they're charging the restaurants, then the restaurants must have agreed to the percentage. Were the restaurants lied to?

Here’s my understanding of how it works:

GrubHub does a man‐in‐the‐middle attack.

Their fraudulent website has all the prices inflated by twenty percent.

When diners order on the fraud website, if the restauranteur already has a contract with GrubHub, GrubHub puts the order through to the restaurant same as they would if it went through GrubHub.com. It shows up on a screen at the front desk or maybe they still get faxes or whatever—I don’t know; I don’t work in a restaurant. GrubHub pockets their normal commission and also the difference between the normal sale price and the inflated one listed on the fraud website.

If the restaurant is not affiliated with GrubHub and has their own online ordering system, GrubHub will take the dish selections the diner put into the fake site and put them into the restaurant’s real site. But they won’t just put the credit card number through. They will charge the credit card themselves at the fake site’s inflated menu rates. They will put a GrubHub‐owned credit card number into the real restaurant’s form, which will be charged at the real rates. GrubHub’s account keeps the difference.

For phone orders, they’d have to have a human agent in a call centre somewhere. They’d listen and write down the order and either put it into the restaurant’s online ordering form or call it in to the restaurant posing as the real diner. Either way, they do the same substitution with the credit cards.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like Grubhub’s legal department engaged in some thoughts and prayers when it comes to their definition of cybersquatting. The part where they potentially used copyrighted photos is what’s going to sink them if this goes to court. 23,000k counts of cybersquatting. Holy poo poo.

In other news Duluth Trading opened a retail store near me. I like their stuff, but since I’ve lost weight, big bulky clothing meant for old men in dusty home workshops don’t fit me all that well. There was also a big elaborate display for DUKE CANNON stuff. I’ve never seen DUKE CANNON in the wild. They look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think it is a nan-in-the-middle thing, but I also think it's something simpler. GrubHub takes 3% for orders they deliver that were ordered directly from a restaurant, or 20% if the order was placed thru GrubHubs service (phone, app, website). The fake websites directed orders away from the restaurants and to GrubHub.

The customer pays the same amount, but the restaurant gets a much smaller cut.