Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

zakharov posted:

A similar issue came up in a recent contestant test where a question relied on scary and sherry rhyming. If you're in the northeast US they absolutely do not.

Sk-air-e and Sh-air-e don’t rhyme? Wtf I’m in the northeast. How the hell do northeasterners supposedly pronounce these? Something ridiculous like shir-e (like shirt without the t)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Sherry is pronounced sheh-ree by most of us.

We also pronounce Mary, merry, and marry in three different ways. Accents are fun.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah rhyme time games are the worst to play with my (Australian) husband because they invariably end in a rant at the TV about how North Americans pronounce everything wrong and horse and sauce are supposed to rhyme.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

zakharov posted:

We also pronounce Mary, merry, and marry in three different ways. Accents are fun.

Are we talking like more northeast than NY? That’s where I am and never hear this with any of those words.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

latinotwink1997 posted:

Are we talking like more northeast than NY? That’s where I am and never hear this with any of those words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_vowel_changes_before_historic_/r/

It's documented.

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

zakharov posted:

If you love Christmas so much then why don’t you merry it?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

latinotwink1997 posted:

NYer as well, and zakharov’s pronunciations (pretty sure he’s a NYer too) are more familiar to me. Scary and sherry def do not rhyme to me, I’ve never heard the latter pronounced like you wrote it out there. Mary and marry are pronounced similarly to me (the latter with a longer “a” sound), but not merry.

Also, how can you not hear the difference between baggel and bay-gull?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 22, 2019

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Past-a makes me nuts

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

Past-a makes me nuts

isn't that how the brits say it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think I got one right in the first two categories of tonight's TEEN TOURNAMENT. Total teen nonsense

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Goober Peas posted:

Past-a makes me nuts

Wait, you favour the “possta” pronunciation? Unacceptable.

Also, has it ever happened that all the contestants in a preliminary game make it to the semi-finals in a tournament?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PT6A posted:

Wait, you favour the “possta” pronunciation? Unacceptable.

Also, has it ever happened that all the contestants in a preliminary game make it to the semi-finals in a tournament?
Quite a lot; statistically, the chances of both the losers of no one game in particular coming back are close to three in five (assuming a random distribution of ranked positions among losers). The past few seasons we've been seeing it a lot in the last game of the quarters (of some tournament that season), even.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 22, 2019

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
They were all totally solid glad that worked out for them.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m just saying I’m in NY and never hear that.

Edit: then again I rarely meet people named Sherry or know anyone that would drink/use sherry, so I guess it’s not very common

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 23, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://mobile.twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1143332719000051712

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm down with that teen going all-in on that late Daily Double. Too bad he didn't get it, it was a total baller move.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yeah I hope he doesn't beat himself up for that, that was the correct move

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah it was good to see him take that risk. Too bad as a freshman he probably didn’t get to exponents in math yet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zero One posted:

Yeah it was good to see him take that risk. Too bad as a freshman he probably didn’t get to exponents in math yet.

That question did not register with me at all, I was focused too much on the '3' rather than it just being an exponent.

my college newspaper was The Exponent, too.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 17, 2022

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zero One posted:

If he was an honors math student—I'd presume this for teen tournament contestants—he would have dealt with that at least a year prior in most states. He probably just blanked interpreting the question or remembering the word (which is also fine, you don't use the word much until you get to precalc).

When I was in the NYS Regents curriculum in the '90s, most kids took Sequential I in 9th grade but you were ahead and took it in 8th grade if you were on the honors track.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
My read from his demeanor is that he knew the answer, but the lights and the pressure of that stage got to him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Poque posted:

I'm down with that teen going all-in on that late Daily Double. Too bad he didn't get it, it was a total baller move.

Fuckin right. That was the absolutely correct move, he deserves a second chance for wagering well and taking risks.

Let's talk about FJ last night. It was a bit of a tricky question, so I'm not surprised that no one got it, but I am really disappointed with the awful guesses. Canada and Mexico? Really?

Philippines was still incorrect, but given the US colonial involvement it was at least a reasonable guess in comparison even if the timeframe was pretty far off.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

PT6A posted:

Fuckin right. That was the absolutely correct move, he deserves a second chance for wagering well and taking risks.

Let's talk about FJ last night. It was a bit of a tricky question, so I'm not surprised that no one got it, but I am really disappointed with the awful guesses. Canada and Mexico? Really?

Philippines was still incorrect, but given the US colonial involvement it was at least a reasonable guess in comparison even if the timeframe was pretty far off.
Ah, yes, the well-known government position, President of Canada

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought that final was pretty easy, i would've got it at their age.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh no

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 17, 2022

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Vulture Culture posted:

If he was an honors math student—I'd presume this for teen tournament contestants—he would have dealt with that at least a year prior in most states. He probably just blanked interpreting the question or remembering the word (which is also fine, you don't use the word much until you get to precalc).

When I was in the NYS Regents curriculum in the '90s, most kids took Sequential I in 9th grade but you were ahead and took it in 8th grade if you were on the honors track.

This checks out to me, as I took Sequential 1 (Algebra to people unfamiliar) in 7th and 8th grades and we started on Sequential 2 (Geometry) the latter half of 8th, which is normally taught in 10th grade. I think they were transitioning to Math A and B around that time, but the curriculum was similar.

And yeah, I remember learning about exponents (especially for the mnemonic PEMDAS that was drilled into us during that class in 7th grade) back then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Ah, yes, the well-known government position, President of Canada

Hmm, even as a Canadian I didn't notice that part, I just took offence to the idea that we'd let ourselves be ruled by no less than 8 Yankee bastards :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Poque posted:

Oh fuuuuuuck
Yeah, I was disappointed by the last DD wager being more conservative than it had to be, but it was a really nicely played second round

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Got the call, excited to join the legions of J! goons — any advice? (besides study, practice wagering, etc) I’ve read most of the books and been to a couple tapings

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

Got the call, excited to join the legions of J! goons — any advice? (besides study, practice wagering, etc) I’ve read most of the books and been to a couple tapings

Nice, congrats!

Yeah, my best advice is to brush up on stuff you don't know, stuff that you 90% know but mix up with other things/mispronounce a lot, and really study old games and get good at figuring out what categories you know well enough so you can bet confidently if you hit a daily double or for final. It was so much less stressful when I'd hit daily doubles not having to worry about "poo poo, do I know enough about this category? What should I bet?" because I basically knew straight away from having practiced it so much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Poison the breakfast at the double tree the morning of.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Duckman2008 posted:

Poison the breakfast at the double tree the morning of.

I mean, i AM an alternate my first time around...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I know it's the teen tournament but that final was a real gimmie.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The finals felt all over the place. A few super easy ones and then the Liberia one, which I doubted myself on because I didn't expect them to think teens would know it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Teach these teens how to dab

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
There's some new collections up on Netflix, including almost all the season premieres of Trebek's run. They're in pretty decent quality too.

Marvel at how young he looks!

Look at the high tech boards!

Get to see Roger Craig's first episode!

There's also an episode in the middle of Ken and David Madden's run.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the dumbest change they made to the show was changing the board populating sound effect.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Agreed. I hate the new board fill sound; it reminds me of a jingly cell phone ringtone.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
That was some strategic betting tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

Get to see Roger Craig's first episode!

I just watched this and Alex's reaction is priceless. Weird how just ten years ago it was unheard of to bet that much on a DD. He was only up 12k to 10k :lol: