Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Xguard86 posted:

These days many companies have automated screening systems. They are often poorly configured or just outright disfunctional, meaning figuring out how to get your resume in front of a human being is kinda of an art/skill in of itself.

You also have situations where human gatekeepers don't know wtf they're looking at and so bin good resumes, winding up too selective in superficial matching and reporting back that they "can't find anyone qualified."

If you're just applying through a posting and not specifically tuning a resume, it's almost assured a human won't see it.

Idk about your referral. Most places have a different pipeline for employee referrals that often assure at least a human reader.

So could be something simple like people are on PTO this week and it's a little slow - on up the ladder of severity to super dysfunctional hiring processes where you'll need your rabi inside to slow walk you through the gates.

Good information. I have definitely been tuning my resumes to present my most relevant information as well as doing things like matching terms used in the job description.

My resume wasn't directly referred by my friend. He indicated I should just apply through the site.

I've had a couple other applications where I feel like a very strong candidate and yet I haven't even heard a word. Very strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
On the topic of interviews: Yes, standardised testing will get you people with the right skills for the role without biases for the most part, but that neglects a crucial fact about why the interview process still exists: culture fit.

Certainly though, removing biases that aren't useful is important. But that can be done in the initial hiring stage by making resumes blind, ie. redacting identifying information.

I'm not sure about the US, but here downunder most hiring follows a pretty simple process (and automated screening isn't really as big of a thing either).

1) Resume screening - one of the ways we remove bias at my firm is to redact any identifying information before allowing phone recruiters to call the shortlisted applicant. This is especially useful for removing racial/ethnic bias in a country with high multiculturalism and immigrant populations.

2) Phone interview - this is purely to determine somebody's ability to to the role. Most questions are skills/experience based. A very small focus on "culture" to weed out nutters, sure, but really that's what the face-to-face interview stage is for.

3) Face-to-Face Interview/s - At this stage in the process, you're not interviewing people to further determine if they can do the job (that would be a massive waste of time). Typically if you get an interview in person with a company, they already know you're capable of doing the role and are really just seeing if you'd fit in with everybody and their company culture.

When you spend upwards of a third of your life at a place of work, hiring managers want to know you're the right person to join their corporate "family". A bad culture fit can have a significant roll-on effect to everybody else's morale and work output.

In many cases, making sure you're a likeable person is going to do a lot more for your chances than just having a degree from a prestigious university and several years of highly relevant experience will. A few rapport-building courses or books will always help you when looking for work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am trying to work my resume into something usable when most jobs where an English Degree can be useful are also jobs where a more specialized degree is preferable.

I've got nine years of retail work experience with no managerial training to show for it, and not much else I can put on my resume as job experience. How do I sell my degree to people so they perk up and take notice?

Also how the gently caress do I get around the stupid as gently caress "we only want people who've been trained from birth at the cloning chambers to have 10+ years of experience in their field so we don't have to train them" experience requirements?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The entire problem is 'culture fit', it isn't just about screening out the crazies and people who don't bathe and people who can't carry on a conversation, or who's 'likable' and who isn't, it also tends to select for shared socioeconomic background and hobbies, which is how industries notorious for their lack of diversity get and stay that way.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Legally speaking that would constitute discriminatory hiring practices, which can be illegal. In reality though, owners and managers of companies can hire whoever the gently caress they want - it's their company. The kind of workplace that would only hire people who fit their little clique of personalities with similar socioeconomic backgrounds probably isn't one you'd want to work for anyway, right?

Again, I'm only speaking from a limited Australian/Kiwi-only perspective, where that sort of thing doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it seems to in the US and UK. Workforce diversity is championed and rewarded in many ways, and the sorts of companies you're describing are the ones suffering the most from the "millennials keep leaving us and I can't retain anybody for some reason" problem. Culture fit goes both ways - if a company didn't hire me because I have an ethnic name (I do, but was raised in Australia since I was a toddler), then gently caress them. I'll work somewhere that isn't clearly racist. I won't get upset because they weren't being fair to me - it's just a good sign that I probably won't enjoy being their employee.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Would appreciate some feedback on my resume.

Right off the bat, I know I'm lacking in numbers and results. Still trying to figure out what I can add. Open to any ideas/suggestions on ways to come up with enticing data points.
Not sure if the SKILLS section is needed? The job listings did mention specific programs that I have experience with, which is why I put it in in the first place. My expertise on some of those is pretty low/beginner though but I'm still learning.
The EXTRACURRICULAR part I left in since I'm in the gaming industry but is it better to leave off?

Also, I used to live in LA but currently live in another state which is where I'm job searching (working remote with my current company).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've had a couple other applications where I feel like a very strong candidate and yet I haven't even heard a word. Very strange.

It’s not unusual at all for a company to know exactly who they’re going to hire (or promote) before the posting ever goes up and just pick a few random applicants to interview to satisfy HR rules.

It’s not as super common as it was ten years ago, but definitely still happens.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
An email I just got about an interview: "You have excellent experience. "

The very next sentence: "the hiring manager does not believe you have the industry experience necessary to be successful in this position"

Does this come across as satirical to anyone else or am I just overreacting?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

C-Euro posted:

An email I just got about an interview: "You have excellent experience. "

The very next sentence: "the hiring manager does not believe you have the industry experience necessary to be successful in this position"

Does this come across as satirical to anyone else or am I just overreacting?

Just means that they found someone else that they like better and this is their idea of letting you down gently.

I think Kafkaesque describes job hunting to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dante Logos posted:

Just means that they found someone else that they like better and this is their idea of letting you down gently.

I think Kafkaesque describes job hunting to me.

Oh I knew the second I finished the interview that I wasn't getting the job, it's just that those two statements look kind of weird next to each other.

I don't know, every time I get turned down after an interview it's a coin flip whether my first reaction is "I'll never be qualified for anything else" or "you know, my current job isn't so bad when you think about", and I don't know which is worse.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It’s not unusual at all for a company to know exactly who they’re going to hire (or promote) before the posting ever goes up and just pick a few random applicants to interview to satisfy HR rules.

It’s not as super common as it was ten years ago, but definitely still happens.

Yea, my initial assumption on the first job was that it was that they were promoting internally, but that posting is still open six weeks later.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Beardcrumb posted:

On the topic of interviews: Yes, standardised testing will get you people with the right skills for the role without biases for the most part, but that neglects a crucial fact about why the interview process still exists: culture fit.
Standardized tests disproportionately favor privileged applicants because excelling at standardized testing is a skill taught at privileged schools. It's also a skill that doesn't correlate with job performance. I wouldn't put any weight on standardized testing results.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Reminds me of the time I got an email from a recruiter in the morning saying they like me for a position, I responded within the hour that I'd available for a call later that day, and at the end of the day get an email response from the recruiter saying I don't have the necessary experience.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have a (probably) dumb question about cover letters -

My wife and I are just finishing up schooling (I got my masters, she's getting her doctorate) and we are planning on moving cities.

When applying to jobs in another city, should I mention something in my cover letter about how I'm moving and I'm not looking to have those costs covered? I mean, we are moving with or without jobs as we can't afford our current area. I'm just not sure if when people see applications from somewhere no local, if they'll question it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mordiceius posted:

My wife and I are just finishing up schooling (I got my masters, she's getting her doctorate) and we are planning on moving cities.

When applying to jobs in another city, should I mention something in my cover letter about how I'm moving and I'm not looking to have those costs covered? I mean, we are moving with or without jobs as we can't afford our current area. I'm just not sure if when people see applications from somewhere no local, if they'll question it.

I would not begin negotiating against yourself in your cover letter, no. Anyone hiring people with Masters degrees probably see far more risk from a bad hire than they do from a one time payment of $3-10K. Spend those words on talking about why you're a great fit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mordiceius posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

I would not begin negotiating against yourself in your cover letter, no. Anyone hiring people with Masters degrees probably see far more risk from a bad hire than they do from a one time payment of $3-10K. Spend those words on talking about why you're a great fit.

Out of towners are far more likely to fall through and I would be WAYYY more likely to pass over a out-of-town resume vs a local. It's not the relocation money, it's the fact that all of the poo poo that has to line up for someone to move across the country makes it far more likely that the person never actually starts even if you like them. That is a giant pain in the rear end and costs a ton of time and money.

I don't think you should say "I don't need relocation money" directly but I do think you should mention your move that is happening anyway along with dates. That will make you look more attractive and mitigate that risk.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lockback posted:

Out of towners are far more likely to fall through and I would be WAYYY more likely to pass over a out-of-town resume vs a local. It's not the relocation money, it's the fact that all of the poo poo that has to line up for someone to move across the country makes it far more likely that the person never actually starts even if you like them. That is a giant pain in the rear end and costs a ton of time and money.

I don't think you should say "I don't need relocation money" directly but I do think you should mention your move that is happening anyway along with dates. That will make you look more attractive and mitigate that risk.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. My career field is not necessarily one where anyone would pay relocation money for people in the first place. I just wasn't sure how I should word things to basically say "I am applying to this job. Yes, I do not live there, but I am moving there in a month."

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Indicate you have already moved, demonstrate the process is independent of this job. I like to use relocating to be with my partner who definitely already has a job there

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Indicate you have already moved, demonstrate the process is independent of this job. I like to use relocating to be with my partner who definitely already has a job there

Perfect. That's exactly what I'll do.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I applied on Indeed to an entry level IT job a few weeks ago, had a phone interview, and got a generic email saying they're not moving forward and that's not necessarily a reflection of my skills but they got someone more qualified ect. I have a 2-year degree and a certification (and a bachelor's in biology), but there is definitely some stuff they said would be nice to have that I didn't.

I just got an Indeed alert for the same job, but with "Michigan residents only" added to the post title, which is where I live and where the previous job was located. I think that was in the qualifications before, but not the title. What do you guys make of this? I probably should apply again even though in the two weeks since nothing has changed about my qualifications.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 10, 2019

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Worst they can say is no, but if you didn’t get it the first time idk why you would the second.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The other guy might have fallen through, but if you didn't get further than a phone interview they are probably looking for something different. No harm in applying again but I would not hold your breath.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it's only been two weeks they would have just called you back, unless it's a totally different department.

If it's just a matter of re-sending your cover/resume then what the hell, it only costs 5 minutes, but I wouldn't expect to even hear from them at all this time around

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Just had a round 1 short Skype interview.

At the end, one of the two interviewers kept emphasizing that they are interviewing many, many people. Paranoid brain is thinking that he’s implying mine didn’t go well and to expect rejection.

It was a fun interview, definitely a screening interview for the first bundle of applicants.

They asked a bunch of policy and theory questions, with explicit instructions to not really use real life experiences. That was novel and fun. I work in a public sector report writing and data analysis field so it was interesting.

Either way they said they would let me know by Friday or next Monday

E: so much stress over a 30 minute screener interview. The job is basically perfect, way more money, the boss is great, and it’d move me a lot closer to where I want to live. Gosh darn it I hope I get selected for the next round of interviews and then get the job!!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they were probably just saying that in general so you don't harass them a bunch, i wouldn't read too much in to it and you'll know soon!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So in the last week or so I applied to a company for a project manager position. This company just posted a product manager position that I'm a decent enough fit for (I'm wearing too many goddamn hats at my current place). It looks like their site gives me the option to upload a new resume to my account. Is it unreasonable to upload an adjusted resume for this position? I'd just be reorganizing and slightly rewording to emphesize the product manager parts I do on a daily basis.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Applicant Tracking Systems can eat a bag of dicks. I've never gotten so many automatic rejections in my life.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they were probably just saying that in general so you don't harass them a bunch, i wouldn't read too much in to it and you'll know soon!

You have been a constant source of reality checks and reassurance throughout my job search, KG Junior. I appreciate you deeply.

Also, they already emailed me and scheduled an in person interview! :buddy:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Hoodwinker posted:

Sanity check:

I do interviews at my company along with a team of other people. I was going through the feedback the other interviewers left on the people I interviewed. One of the guys I voted strongly for got a no hire from the other people, which reading the feedback I could see what they saw that I didn't get exposed to in mine. What was weird to me was one person said they were soured on the interview because the candidate asked, "What are the negatives of working at your company?" That's a little baffling to me - that the interviewer was put off enough by that to give them a no hire - because I always thought it was sensible to expect the candidate to be interviewing us as much as them. I assume it's some kind of tone problem the interviewer had with them - like, that there could have been a more tactful way to glean that information - but aren't we as professionals expected to want to know both the good and bad about the places we're interested in?

My recently retired COO nixed a very good candidate for "interviewing us" in an absolutely professional manner. Shocker that this position was open for well over a year and only recently filled after the COO replacement came on board.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You have been a constant source of reality checks and reassurance throughout my job search, KG Junior. I appreciate you deeply.

Congratulations! The only price of employment is your sanity.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

great, go kick some rear end

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
People who recruit on LinkedIn: I posted an internship on LinkedIn with so-so pay targeting Sophomore/Junior level CS or business/marketing undergrads with some Python coding experience. Temporary, part-time job with no relocation offered. LinkedIn has been great for resume volume with a lot of potentially qualified candidates. Something odd though...

About 40% of applicants are of various east-Asia national origins for undergrad and studying or graduates with a CS Masters in the U.S. from several states away. They are WAY overqualified, and not close enough to commute. What gives? Why are they interested in my lovely job no where near their school?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

People who recruit on LinkedIn: I posted an internship on LinkedIn with so-so pay targeting Sophomore/Junior level CS or business/marketing undergrads with some Python coding experience. Temporary, part-time job with no relocation offered. LinkedIn has been great for resume volume with a lot of potentially qualified candidates. Something odd though...

About 40% of applicants are of various east-Asia national origins for undergrad and studying or graduates with a CS Masters in the U.S. from several states away. They are WAY overqualified, and not close enough to commute. What gives? Why are they interested in my lovely job no where near their school?

Paid internships are still relatively rare and applications are free. They may be intending to go live in someone's basement or hoping for relocation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lockback posted:

Paid internships are still relatively rare and applications are free. They may be intending to go live in someone's basement or hoping for relocation.

Yeah, it could just be that there aren't many opportunities for them where they are. Hell, I posted earlier in the thread about how I'm moving and looking for jobs and I'm applying for all sorts just because I need to just have a job. I have a masters degree and even a large percentage of the entry level jobs require 3+ years of industry experience.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Would love some feedback on my resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-MohrdrvvbiZb0itrtoHqIGQSeZ4h_5nTmdamRFFBsE/edit?usp=sharing

hmmxkrazee posted:

Would appreciate some feedback on my resume.

formatting wise I would add some space beneath the sections it comes off a bit cramped. Also using actual horizontal rules instead of a million hyphens. It looks like you are tight on space, I would lose the statement (keep it in the cover letter) at the beginning and replace it with skills, and if you absolutely have to keep it lose the extracurricular.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just finished an in-person interview with Techhire (Maine)! My dad thinks I did amazing!
After I take a Wowi assessment I'll be able to recieve paid training in my area for positions such as Security IT analysis and business/econ analysis as early as next month. (I earned my second TOSCA certificate this march)

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I've been having some issues in my interviews lately and could use some advise.

There is about a ~1 year gap in my work experience. During this time I was severely injured but honestly I probably could have returned to work in a month or 2 with restrictions. Due to the trauma of the situation though I became incredibly depressed, left my apartment once a day and could hardly take care of myself.

Obviously I'm doing much better for myself but when asked about it I usually say I had some serious health issues but I'm doing better now. My interviewers don't seem all that impressed. Is there a better way I could put this?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Too Poetic posted:

I've been having some issues in my interviews lately and could use some advise.

There is about a ~1 year gap in my work experience. During this time I was severely injured but honestly I probably could have returned to work in a month or 2 with restrictions. Due to the trauma of the situation though I became incredibly depressed, left my apartment once a day and could hardly take care of myself.

Obviously I'm doing much better for myself but when asked about it I usually say I had some serious health issues but I'm doing better now. My interviewers don't seem all that impressed. Is there a better way I could put this?
Your situation is very common and honestly, after the great recession, I think more people have 1 year gaps on their resumes than don't. Your explanation is perfectly fine. The more matter-of-fact and banal you can sound talking about it, the more people will just gloss over it. I would phrase it like, "I had to take some time off to deal with a health issue. Thankfully, I made a full recovery and it's not a recurring issue. Anyway, my experience as a horse chiropractor would be useful for this role because....."

And anyway, do you really want to work for a boss that dings you for having had a traumatic injury and mental illness?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

I think this is fine, but if you want to pretty it up a bit you can add "As I was recovering I took some time to work odd jobs, build up skill X, Y, Z (just say you learned something you learned before), and I really wanted to wait until I was sure I was healthy enough for a full-time role".

I wouldn't care about "I had health issues" but for whatever reason especially older folks sometimes just assume that means you were mooching or whatever. If you want to embellish a bit to placate them I wouldn't feel bad about it.

I'm not wild about the "Skill Column" thing on the top. I feel like its kind of a pain to parse it at a glance. I see why you did it and I especially like your "JAVASCRIPT SKILLS" piece once I looked at it a bit, but I'm just not wild about the execution I guess. This might be a personal thing.

The rest is pretty good. You're a little light on detail on jobs, but that can work for you and the resume is really easy to read.

If you're interested in living in MN hit me up as our engineering team would probably leave tire marks on the ground to try to talk to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Would love some feedback on this cover letter and resume: