Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ded posted:

Is there an actual loving reg about hands in pockets?

I can't speak for any other nation or branch of service, but in the US Air Force, it's spelled out in Air Force Instruction 36-2903, our dress and appearance reg, because heaven forbid the troops might be comfortable.

quote:

2.13.7.1. Do not stand or walk with hand(s) in pocket(s), except to insert or remove an item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It used to be a huge taboo in polite society but no one gives a poo poo in modern times.

But the army has given power to high school "grads" that run good.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I had a Lt.Col tell me once that "both hands in your pockets makes you look like a lazy shithead, one hand in your pocket and the other gesturing is dignified"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

iirc the Marine Corps is especially backwards. Like there’s no reg against it, but no reg for it..or some poo poo. Actually maybe it just said only while standing still, or maybe that was Navy.

So like haircuts and all other bs it’s up to interpretation and at some point some jabroni with power just decided that’s how it’s going to be. I’ve heard stories of SNCOs straight sewing their pockets shut so they’re not tempted to perform such sacrilege

Total stoner tangent here but I remember reading about Hasidic Jews and what they wear has like, no religious meaning or origin. Some dude long ago just decided that was the standard.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I like the "a wallet in your pocket looks bad, put it in your sock," but maybe that's just a Terminal Lance joke.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Nah, I've legitimately seen people do that, but only in their dress uniforms. I'd trust Uriarte to have some kernel of truth to it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I’m pretty sure if you have a larger phone you carry it, or if you have a wallet you do in fact do the sock thing. At least when it comes to service and dress uniforms

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Fuckin lol.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure if you have a larger phone you carry it, or if you have a wallet you do in fact do the sock thing. At least when it comes to service and dress uniforms

I have actually referenced that as a retort to a weak chair force joke.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PAajlHbnU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/DxGGEAUX/status/1144105421638029312

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Total stoner tangent here but I remember reading about Hasidic Jews and what they wear has like, no religious meaning or origin. Some dude long ago just decided that was the standard.

Pretty much all orthodox Jewish traditions are the result of midrash, or the millennia of reading, re-reading, and opining about the Torah and what it *really* means to the average Jewish person. Look up "sheitel" sometime to see biblical law taken to the silliest of interpretations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I took an elective on Jewish biblical scholarship and holy poo poo was it interesting to actually read it like literature but super weird.

Before that point in my life I’d only either interacted with the Bible through right wing nutcase Sunday school, where they skip all the good stuff like the all the incest and petty tantrums god throws over things like not banging your brothers wife properly.

You kinda see why a lot more Jews skew less religious and dogmatic then Christians and Muslims because their scholarship tradition means more of them actually learn their text and how weird it is versus carefully curated passages.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gotta appreciate any religion that isn’t going around knocking on doors or coercing people into converting—religious preaching under the guise of humanitarian aid etc. They have a pretty intense vetting process iirc and it seemingly takes marriage to make someone convert.

No pork is a bit archaic and arbitrary but hey 🤷🏽‍♀️

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I took an elective on Jewish biblical scholarship and holy poo poo was it interesting to actually read it like literature but super weird.

Before that point in my life I’d only either interacted with the Bible through right wing nutcase Sunday school, where they skip all the good stuff like the all the incest and petty tantrums god throws over things like not banging your brothers wife properly.

You kinda see why a lot more Jews skew less religious and dogmatic then Christians and Muslims because their scholarship tradition means more of them actually learn their text and how weird it is versus carefully curated passages.

Not only that, but in its native language, so they don't rely on politically biased translations like in practically every Protestant bible.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Is this real :psyduck:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Is this real :psyduck:
Meghan is really loving stupid, ok.

The other day she got all teary eyed because she knows people will attack her for doubting Donnie's latest rape accuser.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Meghan is really loving stupid, ok.

The other day she got all teary eyed because she knows people will attack her for doubting Donnie's latest rape accuser.

I know she is, but holy god drat how broken does your brain have to be to be able to somehow believe all of those contradictory things at once.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i feel bad for her mostly

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I'll save my compassion for someone who didn't marry a ghoul, and wasn't handed everything their entire life up to and including as much time on network television as they want just because their dad was a bad pilot who volunteered for a war we shouldn't have started.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

:prepop:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i feel bad for her mostly

I do not

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Must be a hard life constantly staying stupid poo poo and then shrieking "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY DADDY IS!?!" when you get called on it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
She recently couldn’t stop kissing Dana Loesch’s rear end after NRATV shut down despite the fact that Loesch has done nothing but throw shade at Meghan over the years.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's like she has a brain tumor or something.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Vriess posted:

Not only that, but in its native language, so they don't rely on politically biased translations like in practically every Protestant bible.

How close do you think biblical Hebrew is to modern Hebrew?

(answer: not very)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

is it intelligible to a modern Hebrew speaker? Or is it like Old English where it's basically unreadable?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Flying_Crab posted:

is it intelligible to a modern Hebrew speaker? Or is it like Old English where it's basically unreadable?

It's not like old english. The biggest issue, iirc, is the lack of vowels in written older hebrew.

Old english is an old germanic language spoke in mainland europe a few thousand years ago. Old english is mutually intelligible with the modern Frisian language. The shift from old to more modern english happened after the massive injection of french following the normal conquest in 1066. The ruling class all spoke french, and if began to filter down and blend with the common tongue until the bastard language we have was born.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1145156503416004609?s=21

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Shhh, don't tell him why that Crusader is meeting Jesus.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/TungstenPoles/status/1145165921146802176?s=09

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The cartoonist got fired for that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus Christ, I didn't know the image of the bodies was directly taken from a photograph of a father and daughter who drowned in the Rio Grande.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Blame Canada.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Really? What horse poo poo.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Only person to be fired so far from the concentration camps.

Herman Merman posted:

How close do you think biblical Hebrew is to modern Hebrew?

(answer: not very)

Closer than English is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/adamselzer/status/1145844240313921542?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!