Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd like to apologize to the good people of Puyo Puyo. I recently discovered that pillar strategy and after about three hours managed a 45 win streak and unlocked all the rivals so now I can forget Puyo Puyo forever until Shin Yakuza and leave chapter 1. I still hate you, Puyo Puyo, but I've learned to mitigate you. This is the life I lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god, you can wear the Dracula costume on stakeouts

Also Yagami really benefits from you spending points on his battle skills, he can't take a hit like Kiryu can and if you do get hit, you might get knocked down for a few seconds or paralyzed, both of which suck a lot. So Leapfrog around people, wall jump kick/grab/EX them and run around like an rear end in a top hat till you learn the details of Tiger style, then start abusing your charge-up moves since you can't be flinched out of them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Policenaut posted:

I'd like to apologize to the good people of Puyo Puyo. I recently discovered that pillar strategy and after about three hours managed a 45 win streak and unlocked all the rivals so now I can forget Puyo Puyo forever until Shin Yakuza and leave chapter 1. I still hate you, Puyo Puyo, but I've learned to mitigate you. This is the life I lead.

oh god please help me, what is this strategy? I'm straight trash in puyo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

oh god please help me, what is this strategy? I'm straight trash in puyo

You rapidly pile up three rows of puyos on the side then start matching from there and hope that you get chains. Sometimes I'd get like 7 or 8 chains in one go and dump them under an incredible amount of trash. If you YouTube search Yakuza Puyo Puyo there's a video demonstrating it in 6 but there's a bit of luck involved. Use the analog stick to pile the puyos up because it's faster than the dpad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a youtube of this strategy?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Xarbala posted:

Also Yagami really benefits from you spending points on his battle skills, he can't take a hit like Kiryu can and if you do get hit, you might get knocked down for a few seconds or paralyzed, both of which suck a lot. So Leapfrog around people, wall jump kick/grab/EX them and run around like an rear end in a top hat till you learn the details of Tiger style, then start abusing your charge-up moves since you can't be flinched out of them.

Backing this up. Leapfrog is great to buy early.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Koi-koi is easy as hell, the only problem is that the cultural divide between Japan and the rest of the world makes it so that nobody can tell off the top of their head why a Viewing is a cup, sakura, and a moon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ok but explain mahjong

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Stelas posted:

Once you get Yagami some upgrades, the battle system starts to feel like Y5, just in the Dragon Engine. In particular, the Crane EX move is absolutely bonkers for crushing groups in seconds, and looks amazing in action. Honestly, most of the Heat moves look more ridiculous than anything in Y6.

I keep a stack of Jack Daniels' in my inventory so I can pop EX Drunken Fist at the start of big crowd battles and it rules. :allears:

Carlosologist posted:

the best sequence with the best character doing it :allears:

My only complaint is that they didn't have As You Like playing for dress up!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Have a look at your hand, your end goal is to make a hand of four threes and a pair. A three can be made of three consecutive numbers of the same suit, or the same number of the same suit. If you're one tile away from having a complete hand, you can declare riichi, which gives you extra points, at which point the game plays itself until a Ron (win by stealing a tile) or a Tsumo (you draw the winning tile) happens.

You cannot do a ron if you're waiting on a tile you already discarded, so keep that in mind.

There are fringe hands you'll never have to worry about because they're rare enough actual pros will go their lifetime without seeing them. Similarly never go for a pon or a chi because that exposes your hand, and makes it harder for you to score points. Don't worry about kans either, they're stupid and also will not ever affect your life. Toss away all winds and dragons, unless you have a pair of these already.

If you're struggling still, use the hand calculator. It calculates how many tiles away you're from making a winning combination, and which tiles you want for that.

Here's a random hand. The transcription of it is 23568m239p3659s25z, where m follows the listed number suit tiles, p is for dots, and s is for sticks. z is for the winds and dragons, going 1-4 for winds and 5-7 for dragons.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
This is different than mahjong solitaire, right? My real question is, what am i looking for in the google app store if i want to learn/practice?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The one I see often recommended is Noten Riichi Mahjong, free to play. Many of the real Mahjong apps are in Chinese/Japanese and it can be a little difficult to find good ones in English.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

This is different than mahjong solitaire, right? My real question is, what am i looking for in the google app store if i want to learn/practice?

Very much different. Look for "Hong Kong Style Mahjong" or "MahjongTime" on the app store.

My actual favorite app is Kemono Mahjong, but it costs 4$ and also has furry characters so idk if it's a safe goon recommendation. Very clear interface, with options to highlight various important things like which tiles are good for you, or which tiles were discarded after drawing if you want to get into the defense-based mindgames, and all the characters have different playstyles. I think

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I play on Mahjong Soul. You can disregard the gacha for cute anime girls and just play. Has a decent tutorial too.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

JamMasterJim posted:

I play on Mahjong Soul. You can disregard the gacha for cute anime girls and just play. Has a decent tutorial too.

This looks like what I'll probably go with. Free and in browser. Noten Riichi Mahjong is no longer on the play store.

E: good tutorial also so far

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 28, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

goblin week posted:

Very much different. Look for "Hong Kong Style Mahjong" or "MahjongTime" on the app store.

My actual favorite app is Kemono Mahjong, but it costs 4$ and also has furry characters so idk if it's a safe goon recommendation. Very clear interface, with options to highlight various important things like which tiles are good for you, or which tiles were discarded after drawing if you want to get into the defense-based mindgames, and all the characters have different playstyles. I think

I know at least one other person who resorted to that furry mahjong app before FFXIV decided to include mahjong for whatever reason

It is not a safe recommendation, or even a worksafe one far as I can tell

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anything similar for pachinko or would it all basically fall under online gambling regulations?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I don't think you can really learn pachinko any more than you could learn, idk, Plinko from The Price Is Right

Xarbala posted:

It is not a safe recommendation, or even a worksafe one far as I can tell
It's perfectly work safe!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

ok but explain mahjong

As mentioned Mahjong Soul has an excellent tutorial, some fantastic QOL (like highlighting other copies of a tile you hover over, and indicating when you're going to put yourself into furiten) and a bunch of emotes to spam whenever you're winning to piss other players off. At this point I'd call it the best way to learn how to play. My past posts in this thread include a mahjong guide but it's honestly kind of a block of text

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 28, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Hwurmp posted:

ok but explain mahjong

It's gin rummy basically.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I figured out Mahjong enough from the in-game guides to finish the friendship behind it, which involved winning a particular hand which needed to be done on purpose rather than my usual "I've been forced to play mahjong" strategy of just discarding tiles at random and pressing the steal thing every time it popped up.

Koi koi is more inscrutable imho.

The good news is this means I might get to do all 50 friendships since none of the ones I have left are locked behind mini games that I'm aware of :unsmith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Always love it when the MC is complaining about having no money when he's walking around with ¥2,500,000 in his pocket outside of the storyline.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ok but explain gin rummy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's basically mahjong

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

finally everything makes sense

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you can play mahjong but claim koi koi is inscrutable I just don't understand you at all. :sax:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Caitlin posted:

If you can play mahjong but claim koi koi is inscrutable I just don't understand you at all. :sax:

Koi Koi was remade as a game in one of the Tales game and the cards were basically heroes, villains, magic users, etc. and it made sense in that context, but it was basically the same game. It seemed like common cards needed more to make a set, and rare cards could make a set with 2 or 3.

I don't understand what I'm doing with a card that is a red background with a part of a leaf on it. That makes no sense.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

LorneReams posted:

Koi Koi was remade as a game in one of the Tales game and the cards were basically heroes, villains, magic users, etc. and it made sense in that context, but it was basically the same game. It seemed like common cards needed more to make a set, and rare cards could make a set with 2 or 3.

I don't understand what I'm doing with a card that is a red background with a part of a leaf on it. That makes no sense.

Matching it to other cards with pictures of leaves on it that look like the same leaf. It is literally matching pictures. The suits of which I posted already. Unless they changed it in Judgment because I haven't gotten to koi koi in that yet, they even highlight which card types you can match to it. I even typed out an explanation on like the last page or two?

Each suit has 4 cards. There are 12 suits. They are based on months. Each suit has one fancy card. You even explained that yourself! At that point all you're doing is making different hands ala poker, so it's a matter of learning what constitutes a hand.

https://aminoapps.com/c/japan/page/blog/hanafuda-and-koi-koi/rdse_urrPxkQKPzBwba43mpekap1rpFZ

e : and to be clear yes, strategy can get deeper and it's sometimes about blocking the other player making a hand but I'm just trying for a basic "this is not that scary to play"

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 28, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I guess what I'm saying is they should have replaced the suits with Yakuza families and redid the whole thing.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

THESE PICTURES DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE, THEY ARE INSCRUTABLE AND JAPANESE :rolleyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Caitlin posted:

THESE PICTURES DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE, THEY ARE INSCRUTABLE AND JAPANESE :rolleyes:

Yeah literally this tyvm.

Most of the tiles in Mahjong have obvious relations to their associated tiles without any external clues.

Unless you're intimately familiar with the hanafuda deck it's not unreasonable to be totally baffled by what cards are related to what other cards, unless you've got the complete deck to refer to and eliminate the ones that aren't connected.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

they literally highlight the ones you can use and you could use a single picture as reference until you learn them, you're actively refusing to even attempt and blaming that on pictures which definitely give cues if you so much as look at the pictures and saying mahjong pictures make more sense

Like, I'm done, but I can and will never understand being mad about Japanese stuff in a game literally set in Japan not being Western enough for you because you don't want to... look at pictures. It's dumb. :shrug:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Calm down, I doubt anyone is mad, I'm just making fun of the game. It's pretty easy to play when the game takes care of the matches and hands for you. I just think it's funny that it seems like someone took a painting, cut it into a bunch of pieces, and then designed a game around it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Caitlin posted:

they literally highlight the ones you can use and you could use a single picture as reference until you learn them, you're actively refusing to even attempt and blaming that on pictures which definitely give cues if you so much as look at the pictures and saying mahjong pictures make more sense

Like, I'm done, but I can and will never understand being mad about Japanese stuff in a game literally set in Japan not being Western enough for you because you don't want to... look at pictures. It's dumb. :shrug:

You are being an rear end about this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The champion drone racing league is kicking the poo poo out of me even with the modded components, is there a trick I'm missing?

Caitlin posted:

Yes I'm definitely saying it should be more western and not just that I don't get it, thanks for putting those words in my mouth :downswords:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

There's very real history behind that, as playing cards, which were brought to Japan by missionaries and later banned by the shogunate to stifle Western influences. Hanafuda cards were born from this as a distinctly Japanese art form in order to circumvent the ban, and were used for gambling. It was the inception of Nintendo as a business, as they were formed to produce Hanafuda cards.

http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/hanafuda

"they should put pictures I understand on them so I don't have to learn this, which has been in every Yakuza game, and I liked it better when they put anime pictures on it"

does that make you feel better idk

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
uhhh is it true, you can decorate the office with the toys you get from the crane machine!?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

That is very true! I put dice cats up already :toot:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

uhhh is it true, you can decorate the office with the toys you get from the crane machine!?

I wish the office had more decorating space because it's very limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yes, also the fish you can get from the gachapon machines in Charles.