Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really bizarre how several left wing commentators like kyle kuklinski are gabbard fans.
Is he one of those "thwarting the American military dwarfs everything else" guys? Even on that, she's inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ershalim posted:

The jury is hella out on this one. It's true that there's a trend among currently living old people that this is a thing, but the possible causes and treatments to it are enough to fill several textbooks. One of the currently leading theories is that the malign media influence you mentioned is part of what causes the rigidity because of its rapid, unchanging, uncritical constant barrage that ends further consideration. Another is that it's tied to poor gum health (similar to Alzheimer's).

It's remiss to chalk it up as a natural process of aging, because it honestly happens with such regularity in specific populations and not others that it presents like a disease.
Our brain starts slowly falling apart at age ~30 like everything else in our body. I know that sounds glib and yeah there are qualitative aspects that generalization smears over, but I have a PhD in psychology and did my postdoc in a neuroimaging lab focused on aging. Everyone has lost some zip on their fastball by the time they get to Bernie's age. Also, go Bernie anyway.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's really bizarre how several left wing commentators like kyle kuklinski are gabbard fans.

She endorsed Bernie and some people can't see past that

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1144641330900942849

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

As I said. She’s full of poo poo

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Delthalaz posted:

Now that it’s been revealed Biden is a paper tiger, I am extremely worried that Harris is going to lie and attack her way to the nomination. What’s a good angle of attack against her?

kidkissinger posted:

pretty much every single comment on NPRs Facebook article about Harris winning the debate is about how Buttigieg was the real winner because he didn't raise his voice and showed composure.

Apologies to LK for my post a few days ago that earned me a probation throughout the debate. My bad.

I watched both debates. There will obviously be a lot more, but here's my initial takes:

Main Lot:
- Biden: Was evasive and awful, called out on most of his poo poo right off the bat and Kamala was the first to put the knife in. I think he has to drop in polls after this.
- Sanders: Good on explaining his core policies but he dodged so many questions, and he also gave non-answers to others which should have been easy to answer like "what's your top priority?" I think it was disappointing, but I think he will fall upwards due to Biden's dismal show.
- Harris: Biggest winner of either night. I dislike her immensely but she made a bold claim for front-runner status, and a lot of her baggage wasn't undressed, so she'll probably get attacked more heavily in the following debates.
- Buttigieg: I had never actually watched him speak, but he is a true died in the wool corporate consulting sociopath, who could say anything and make it sound believable. I don't know that he is capable of raising his voice, or of showing emotion, the man is an automaton. I can't think of a candidate I trust less, but I think he will dupe a lot of people and probably rise up slightly after this performance.
- Warren: Did the best job of presenting her ideas, but I want to see her in the "non-kids table" debate before making judgments. Solid hold, maybe rise.

Honorable Mention:
- Booker/Castro: I don't buy what either of them are selling but they did all right, I just don't see how either reasonably cracks the top tier.
- Gabbard: I still really like her, even though the majority of this thread would line her up for a guillotine. I'm glad she dusted off Tim Ryan viciously, but that's like a small two-car accident where one is totaled and the other is scratched, and neither one of them has any realistic way to win.

Something Awful:
- Beto: Sucked hard and looked dumb doing it.
- Gillibrand: Screaming for relevancy in the debate, great effort, no one cares.
- Klobuchar: Looked like she was maybe going to cry at the end? Not sure. Seemed like her own will to run evaporated throughout the course of the debate.
- Yang: Had a good elevator speech for his one issue then couldn't tie his own shoes.
- de Blasio and Bennet: both overshared weird personal/family medical stories that were horrific and bizarre given the context.

- Everyone else: ehhhhh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1144643009654525953

lol didn't everyone know he picked biden so the whites wouldn't be so scared?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I am unconvinced that Republicans lose forever if this becomes law:

quote:

* voluntary public financing for campaigns, matching small donations at a 6:1 ratio
* voting rights for felons out of prison
* DC statehood
* stricter limitations on foreign lobbying
* require Super PACs and other "dark money" organizations to disclose their donors
* presidential and vice-presidential candidates to disclose their previous 10 years of income-tax returns
* national voter-registration program
* make Election Day a federal holiday
* non-partisan commissions to draw congressional electoral districts
* limit efforts to purge voting rolls

It is a defense against Republican attacks but I don't think it would actually prevent any incumbent Republicans in the senate from winning re-election, for example.

And none of these are really new ideas, so again if this is the lethal poison to Republicans, imagine how stupid Obama is to have not done it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

second time on healthcare

she also did it on aipac

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Now that it’s been revealed Biden is a paper tiger, I am extremely worried that Harris is going to lie and attack her way to the nomination. What’s a good angle of attack against her?

Part of the reason Harris did so well on stage is that no one was particularly gunning for her, since she hasn't been doing well enough to get singled out as a threat. She's likely going to face far more pressure in the second debate, and her competitors won't just let her rattle off her lines unchallenged anymore.

She does have weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and they're obvious enough that even Biden seems to know where to aim - he was beginning to line up an attack on her prosecutorial record right before she cut him off and blew him away.

Don't get me wrong, she's definitely a good speaker and I think she's cemented herself as a serious contender. But she also definitely benefited from the fact that no one was interested in calling out her record or challenging her lies, and that may not be the case in the next debate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

And none of these are really new ideas, so again if this is the lethal poison to Republicans, imagine how stupid Obama is to have not done it.

imagine how stupid the people that killed ACORN based on a phony video are!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Quorum posted:

As a young person who likes him I view it as his biggest flaw; age is demonstrated to cause a decline in some important cognitive functions and it's frustrating to me that the two leftmost people among the top candidates are also two of the oldest. It's a function of the hollowing out of the American left on a governmental level between the rise of Reagan and basically a few years ago, but it definitely isn't good and any of the old farts need to be ready to counter the issue of their age.

It's not something that actually makes people not support him with younger people, though (at least to the extent that it makes much of a difference).

So in the specific context of "choosing who to support in the primary" it doesn't matter.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

unwantedplatypus posted:

I think Marianne Williamson is actually better than 95% of the other fuckos who were on that stage, and the biggest reason people itt arent willing to offer her a degree of unironic support is due to her pre-existing reputation as a non-serious candidate. She's the only one who really talked about imperialism, preventative health care, or actual reparations. Her last bit talking directly to Trump might have been an attempt to get him to tweet about her, which would be pretty drat smart (thought she also might just be a bit kooky and that wasn't a consideration for her).

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

pangstrom posted:

Our brain starts slowly falling apart at age ~30 like everything else in our body. I know that sounds glib and yeah there are qualitative aspects that generalization smears over, but I have a PhD in psychology and did my postdoc in a neuroimaging lab focused on aging. Everyone has lost some zip on their fastball by the time they get to Bernie's age. Also, go Bernie anyway.

Yeah, it's like with bone density due to osteoclasts outnumbering osteoblasts as age increases -- that part is true. But the rigidity of thought associated with loss of neuroplasticity is not a normal part of aging. Loss of neurons, loss of hearing to some degree, slower motion, etc., are all normal aspects of what you're describing. The FOX news generation of Boomers that literally cannot retain or accept new information (like the poster I was replying to was referring to) is not a normal part of aging.

On topic: I think Harris did well because she pointedly attacked someone directly. A lot of democrats are basically dying for someone to actually take an aggressive stance on something. Anything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

imagine how stupid the people that killed ACORN based on a phony video are!

My point is more that "Pass HR1" is an insufficient answer because of all those reasons why, but we must still prevent Republican control as the Republic does hang in the balance.

Only Sanders and Williamson have an answer: mass popular action. Sanders proposes political and Williamson spiritual, but they're the only ones even close to the ballpark.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I will never stop laughing at Michael Tracey consistently being the dumbest motherfucker alive.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1144638906975031296

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

O...k? I mean I guess I appreciate the sentiment but this seems like an extremely bottom tier thing to be pushing the day after the debates tbh.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I will never stop laughing at Michael Tracey consistently being the dumbest motherfucker alive.

I'm fascinated by the random walk that led him to support Biden via his loyalty to Obama.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

O...k? I mean I guess I appreciate the sentiment but this seems like an extremely bottom tier thing to be pushing the day after the debates tbh.

It's part of this

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/revitalizing-diplomacy-a-21st-century-foreign-service-2d9d195698f

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

This was the exact same question as the previous night's debate. How could she not have known, or anticipated, the question?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

This was the exact same question as the previous night's debate. How could she not have known, or anticipated, the question?

The question the previous night was about their private healthcare. Go back and listen to it again.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

She probably got a lot of angry donor calls

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

In terms of diplomatic reality on the ground this wouldn't change that much (Actual Diplomacy in missions with a politically appointed ambassador is often handled by career officials) but banishing donors and lobbyists from public life is an objective good. The foreign service is basically the spoils system at the top levels and it's bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/AJaramaz/status/1144457840322437120

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
edit: deleted

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The appointment of political donors to prominent ambassadorial posts is among the most blatantly corrupt parts of the civil service and, while it might not be a campaign-defining issue, promising to do away with the practice in firm, uncompromising terms is unambiguously good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I regularly receive Bernie campaign texts for donations. They do respond when I text them back. This is an interesting experience on how campaigns drive for cash but my initial reaction is usually “Man...I just donated.”

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you ask them to chill with the requests for money for a while, they will listen. it's pretty cool. text back "hey can you hold off for a couple months? hmu end of July" and see what happens.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ranter posted:

If you ask them to chill with the requests for money for a while, they will listen. it's pretty cool. text back "hey can you hold off for a couple months? hmu end of July" and see what happens.

then two months later text them “wyd” at 2 am

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Or if The West Wing was a person.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
[Williamson Headquarters]

Williamson: Crystals, crystals-

Williamson's Thoughtform: crystals, CRYSTALS

Williamson: [forging her love-blade] CRYSTALS, CRYSTALS, CRYSTALS!

It's not surprising that Harris backed away from the private insurance thing. Now that she's made herself a target I'm gonna bet her "I'm for it no wait nevermind" poo poo is going to be a main line of attack. Biden sure as poo poo isn't going to be able to go after her for her history as a prosecutor. She did well last night because she didn't really get attacked, but once the herd starts thinning that's gonna change.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

goethe.cx posted:

then two months later text them “wyd” at 2 am

Lmao yes. “Hey, wyd...spare a couple bucks to defeat the enemy who have corporate support?”

It’s okay, I signed up for monthly donation. They are pretty chill about things except the initial “WE ARE DOOMED IF YOU DONT GIVE MONEY” auto text

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I don't understand why the big push to make Election Day a federal holiday (it's part of HR1, Bernie keeps introducing it, etc). I mean, there's no harm to it, but I also don't see how it gets more people voting, because private companies don't have to be closed for federal holidays. Only the federal government closes. So you're really only helping a small group of people. It seems like, if you really want to help let people vote, you do what New York just did and pass a law saying that employers have to give employees up to three hours off on election day to go vote.

Thats still not perfect, and you're going to run into enforcement problems, but at least it will cover more people.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I think Marianne Williamson is actually better than 95% of the other fuckos who were on that stage, and the biggest reason people itt arent willing to offer her a degree of unironic support is due to her pre-existing reputation as a non-serious candidate. She's the only one who really talked about imperialism, preventative health care, or actual reparations. Her last bit talking directly to Trump might have been an attempt to get him to tweet about her, which would be pretty drat smart (thought she also might just be a bit kooky and that wasn't a consideration for her).

I don’t know if these takes a serious, but they definitely have a “Trump is actually leftist if you think about it” vibe

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A lot of private employers close on federal holidays anyway.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Almost all corporations are closed on federal holidays though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I’ve been in the past threads as not loving Bernie. I’ll start by stating I was wrong about the book thing, and for that I apologize. I read a couple of hot takes on twitter and didn’t do research before bringing it here. Somebody asked me why I don’t like him, and last night I think it was covered perfectly. His policy’s are all things I generally agree with (minus that judge flub). But his delivery method bugs me. He yells too much, and just seems too old. Contrast that with Warren, who I like a great deal.

I also came out early liking Harris, and last night nailed why. She’s really loving good at debating and doing the politics of it. I want her to go after trump in a debate, because I think unlike Clinton she can get under his skin but also not lose her calm. I think he is more likely to blow a big gasket against her.

That being said, I totally get that she is a politician, and her being actually president won’t help the country nearly as much as if warren was president, or Bernie’s policies were in effect.

So it basically comes down to my fear that I think Harris is more electable, but I like warren more? (And If Bernie gets the nomination, I will vote for him).

Also, yang is wherever, but can somebody who actually is in this for the long haul please throw in UBi? Because that would sure be awesome to get ahead of.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

Tibalt posted:

Almost all corporations are closed on federal holidays though.

Not the ones that the most frequently disenfranchised Americans tend to work at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

YMB posted:

Not the ones that the most frequently disenfranchised Americans tend to work at.

Something that helps many people is still better than something that helps nobody. It's not enough, since we should be doing mail-in ballots or something over an entire week, but it's better than what we've got now.