Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Just picked up and started The Sopranos Sessions. Anyone else read it and have any opinions on it?

I'm barely into it. After a few recaps, it seems to move kind of fast and skips over a lot of stuff. For instance, Brendan's murder is only mentioned in passing at the end of the recap and Chris taking a pass on the hijacking is not brought up at all, even though both are seminal moments of that episode.

I'm not far in and I like some of what I'm reading, particularly the focus on the therapy sessions (which may be the point), but Jerusalem's write ups in this thread are better overall recaps and way more in depth. I'm hoping for more individual character exploration and maybe even some dot connecting in this book eventually. It is rather big and, at the rate their moving, I can't imagine that the synopsis are all there is to it so maybe I'll get deeper dives in later chapters.

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on The Many Saints of Newark and their hopes for it? Is it an HBO movie or a theatrical release? I've read both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I am ashamed to say I've purchased the book but it is sitting unread in a bookshelf within eyeline from this computer :negative:

I've been meaning to read it I swear!!!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on The Many Saints of Newark and their hopes for it? Is it an HBO movie or a theatrical release? I've read both

The only thing I've seen Michael Gandolfini in is The Deuce where he seems to do a fine job. He doesn't have a whole lot to do but I doubt David Chase and Alan Taylor would cast him in the Many Saints Of Newark just because his last name is Gandolfini , he has to have some chops if they are putting him front and center.

Just looked up Many Saints of Newark on IMDB and I didn't realize what a stacked cast it has. Vera Farmiga, John Bernthol, Cory Stoll, Ray Liotta and best of all Uncle Joey Diaz? Here's hoping for a Joey Karate cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbkAgdMobw

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Ray Liotta is trash

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ornithology posted:

Ray Liotta is trash

Bernthal though. You get Bernthal in something and I'm immediately interested.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Ornithology posted:

Ray Liotta is trash

I don't know. I think he'd make an okay werewolf.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Something else that stands out on the backdrop at Holstens.

We know that Chase customized that back wall. The tiger I get, the building I get but I never got the 2 football players.

Number 38 and 22. Like caliber pistols

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BiggerBoat posted:

Something else that stands out on the backdrop at Holstens.

We know that Chase customized that back wall. The tiger I get, the building I get but I never got the 2 football players.

Number 38 and 22. Like caliber pistols

Alright, the thread's broken me, I've fully flipped on my reading of the final scene. It would be better if it were ambiguous, but Chase's intent is pretty clear.

Grammarchist posted:

I don't know. I think he'd make an okay werewolf.

Don't you mean, like...Ray Liotta's brother, orrr....?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It was either an old av club thing or sa front page review of wolfman movie and the comment that stood out to me was “Ray liotta eating a rare steak is more lupine than this”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Don't you mean, like...Ray Liotta's brother, orrr....?

C'mon, he smells like apples.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Alright, the thread's broken me, I've fully flipped on my reading of the final scene. It would be better if it were ambiguous, but Chase's intent is pretty clear.

TBF, I read that football jersey observation somewhere else and always wondered what those players meant. I hate hijacking the thread by rehashing the ending again (and I'll knock it off if we're only supposed to stick to the OP's current write ups) but I know Chase intentionally redid that back wall.

I disagree that "it would be better if it were ambiguous" because it really is ambiguous since dumb asses like me are still going over it 12 years later. He says "it's all there" so...OK...let's look. If everything is, in fact, all there then it all points to one thing. The brilliance of it is inventing a clever way to pull it off without giving us a bloodbath and keeping people invested in what he showed us.

If we're still doing this thread thru the finale I'll show all my cards.

And, yeah, the podcast I posted is pretty whack and the dude who asked if they even watched the show was spot on. But I'm enjoying passing the time at work with it and there's also several interviews with cast members on the site. Just listened to them interview Sigler and Imperiolli.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tony said it only ends two ways for guys like him and both of those ways are heavily hinted at in that scene. Take your pick of which one you want.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Apologies if this has been posted but I stumbled across this Vanity Fair article from a ways back that interviews Chase and several cast members

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/04/sopranos-oral-history

STEVEN SCHIRRIPA (Bobby “Bacala” Baccalieri): After Season Four [when Gandolfini and HBO had a pay dispute and filming was delayed], Jim called all the regulars into his trailer and gave us $33,333 each, every single one of us.

This also includes actors like Vincent Pastore who at that point had been written off the show. He called them up and made sure they got their piece too. It was at least a dozen people, so he gave out $400,000+ in cash envelopes.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tony said it only ends two ways for guys like him and both of those ways are heavily hinted at in that scene. Take your pick of which one you want.

But then he says there's a third way (which isn't even really 'a way')

widunder
May 2, 2002
Some people discussed podcasts about the show and clearly the best one is No Fuckin' Ziti.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 3, Episode 12 - Amour Fou

Patsy Parisi posted:

It won't be cinematic.

The same aria that ended the last episode begins this one. Carmela and Meadow have gone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, following up on Carmela's concern that Meadow wasn't taking advantage of the cultural wonders at her fingertips. Unfortunately for Carmela, despite her period not being due she is spotting and so she has to borrow a tampon from Meadow, putting a slight damper on the day. When she returns, they look over various portraits, Meadow dismissing the subject of one of Reuben's paintings by pointing out she only had her portrait made because she was the wife of somebody rich. For Carmela this is probably entirely reasonable, and she notes that Meadow talks the talk but her current grades aren't reflecting that. She's worried it is because Meadow is spending too much time with Jackie, and is shocked to discover that Meadow and he are through. Meadow doesn't want to discuss it, and Carmela becomes distracted by the beauty of the next painting, her weeping alarming Meadow. Carmela admits she is oddly emotional but still stresses the purity of the love exuding from the painting, the peace of a mother with an innocent baby (which neither of her children are anymore).

Far from innocent or pure, Tony pulls into the parking garage at the medical center to attend therapy, and is mad to see Gloria has been lying in wait for him. She chases after him, begging him to stop and talk, distraught that he won't return her calls. He snaps at her to go gently caress herself, reminding her that what she calls one "little" argument was her hurling a giant piece of beef at his head. But as she debases herself, taking on all the blame after a token "you were three hours late", as she accepts she was out of line and she won't do it again, she can see him softening. He goes from,"Go gently caress yourself" to,"You can't talk to me about your problems?", and though he is non-committal when she asks if they can see each other later, she's left in no doubt as he walks away that she's gotten through to him. The sudden shift from desperation to pleading to happy giggling should be setting off all kinds of warning signs. Hell, the fact that she ambushed him in the carpark should be doing that. But his resolve is already disappearing.

In therapy, he talks out his own confusion about how things are going with Gloria, and she suggests it is "Amour Fou", the French term for crazy, all-consuming love. He takes exception when she notes that few people are able to push his buttons like Gloria can, declaring that Melfi's perception of him as a "hard, cold, captain-of-industry" type is completely wrong.

Welp, I guess now we know that Tony Soprano thinks of himself as a captain-of-industry type! Or rather, he thinks this is how people should think about him, and that they are doing him a disservice because he thinks there is more to him than the way "they" think about it. The fact that most people would probably think of him as a criminal scumbag or a cheap hoodlum would never occur to him, not with his ego.

Melfi again stresses when he asks that she can't give him any details of Gloria's therapy, and shuts down his weak joke about slipping her extra money. She takes the opportunity to address his overpayment from the previous month, she kept the money and probably used it to buy Jason those books he needed, but as a result she is not charging him for this month to even things out. She makes it clear to him she will NOT accept any extra beyond what she charges him, and he grumpily accepts the minor dressing down. He points out that Gloria doesn't take money from him either, and admits that this pleases him, he likes that she is independent. He considers her the opposite of Irina in spite of Melfi pointing out last episode how similar the two were, and as Melfi sits listening Tony slowly convinces himself to get back involved with Gloria as all his concerns fade away in favor of listing what he thinks of as her numerous assets. Included in this is that he thinks she looks like something out of a Goya painting, though of course he mispronounces that Goyim, a malapropism that she doesn't correct. But he becomes angry when Melfi begins questioning these perceptions, sure she is pussyfooting around and not telling him something beyond saying their relationship is (another malapropism) "a mofo". So Melfi cuts off his anger by asking what he thinks Gloria sees in him. Well he's not a human being/cry-baby like every other guy out there, and again - somewhat shamefaced - mumbles that she probably thinks of him as a Captain of Industry type. Melfi pushes it a little closer to the truth, though still sanitized, he is a "tough guy", but Tony sees this as a compliment to be faux-embarrassed by, rather than a nice way of calling him a thug. She points out that some people are like moths attracted to a flame, and when he asks if HE is that flame, she asks a pertinent question: why would anybody attack HIM of all people with a side of beef? He's amused now though, enjoying their wordplay too much to really be taking this all in, intellectually stimulated but not taking in any of her clear warnings beyond the surface level. He's already convinced himself to get back with Gloria, and Melfi is effectively tilting at windmills.

Ralphie counts cash handed to him by a couple of low level street wiseguys who are doing their best to impress him and become connected to his crew in at least a tertiary fashion. They haven't brought him enough money to justify that, but they've brought enough to raise his interest. There's just one problem, it's a duo of Dino Zerilli and... Jackie Aprile Jr. Jackie has completely backslid, not only has he flunked out of College but he's moved back home with Rosalie, and his only plans for the future now are getting connected/Made, he's even dropped his vague notion of being a player in the Fashion Industry. Richie is amused by his complaints, though surprised to hear he has broken it off with Meadow, and takes Tony's side when Jackie complains he didn't reach out to Rutgers to help get him back in: it was his fault that he didn't read any books or do any work. But he still compliments them on doing well with their current kick-up, and dismisses them (twice, when they don't get the message) with the clear implication to come back with more if they want to take things any further.

Tony has, of course, gotten back together with Gloria. He smokes a cigar in bed after sex, making bad jokes that she laughs at, over the moon to be back together with him. She excitedly answers the ringing phone but is disappointed it was the wrong number, and after minor (not particularly enthusiastic) prompting unloads her current family issues: her brother-in-law has drug issues but her sister has forbidden HER from seeing her niece and nephew because she is a bad influence. She's upset, depressed and clearly feeling suicidal tendencies, while Tony makes the barest token effort to listen while casually discussing things in his own life. This isn't part of the fantasy, this isn't the strong independent woman who he can gently caress and then go on his merry way home to his wife. This is all the "boring" bullshit that comes with a relationship and it isn't what he signed up for. When she mentions getting "lucky" by maybe being mowed down by a truck he grunts a "What the gently caress?" at her and she immediately replies she was just kidding, before mentioning she thinks she's going to get fired from her job for not putting up with her boss' sexual harassment. Tony rolls his eyes at this, for him sexual harassment is probably one of those,"I was just kidding/it was a compliment" things at worst, a chance to get laid at best. But when Gloria hears a song on the radio (performed by Steven Van Zandt!) and begins happily dancing to it, he cheers right up. This wild mood swing is surely a sign that everything is just fine!

At the Ooh-Fa Pizzeria, the owner Roy complains to a couple of Latino customers to smoke outside, which they ignore. Jackie and Dino don't appreciate this and get in their faces, complaining that they should speak English. The trio get up, more than willing to thrown down in a fight, and Dino slaps one across the face, knocking him into some bottles in a display in the window. They prepare to launch themselves at Dino until Jackie whips a gun (from Ralphie?) out and shoves it in their faces, getting off on finally being looked on with fear for a change as they throw their hands up and high-tail it out of the store when he orders them... which is when he sees Christopher Moltisanti approaching. Freaking out about being caught with a gun after Tony's reaction to his 38, and the fact Roy is Christopher's Aunt's cousin, he tries to convince Dino to take it but he wants nothing to do with it. Christopher enters, noting the broken bottles and they explain they were standing up for Roy after "three spics" disrespected the place. Roy sweeps up the glass, grunting he's been collecting these bottles for 20 years but it's only glass, and Christopher considers that an end to it. He's actually here because Jackie and Dino asked him to be, so they sit down together and are delighted when he seems open to working with them and offers them a part in a truck hijacking. When they explain they're "kinda" with Ralphie now he accepts but points out that they know his number if they ever consider jumping ship, and pleases Jackie by saying it doesn't matter if Tony doesn't want him in the game, since nobody can tell you what to do with your life unless "they're paying your nut". He heads up to get a slice of pizza, while Jackie and Dino are left with the unusual but pleasant experience of being welcomed and even encouraged to work with the mob.

Carmela has brought her leased vehicle in for a check-up at Globe Motors, and is informed that the courtesy van is stuck in traffic and she'll need to wait 20 minutes before it can take her home. She's called by name to be given this message, and who should be in the office and overhear "Mrs Soprano"? Gloria Trillo. When Carmela says she'll just catch a cab home, Gloria steps up, noting that she was just about to leave the office, maybe she could give her a lift? Carmela is pleased to accept, and Gloria grabs a demo car and they head off together, Carmela none-the-wiser of course that this is her husband's current mistress. Gloria puts on a good face at first, joking that she's not so much kind-hearted as looking for any opportunity to make a sale. But she probes, asking what Carmela does? What her husband does? How many kids does she have? But when Carmela starts talking more about her children and what they do, Gloria's smile fades and she stops responding, just looking directly ahead as she drives, leaving Carmela to awkwardly attempt to fill the silence until Gloria snaps back... while at the same time accelerating the car to disturbingly high speeds.

Oh poo poo.

Gloria throws a backhanded compliment Carmela's way, noting that her daughter won't need a man to latch on to for success: it's clearly a dig at Carmela herself, one doubled-down on when Gloria pointedly notes her sapphire ring afterwards. Carmela doesn't grasp the insult (why would she? She's no reason to think Gloria has any reason to be antagonistic towards her) but she's clearly perturbed by the speed of Gloria's driving. They screech around the corner and up the Soprano driveway at speed before coming to a sudden stop. Carmela thanks her but makes no move to invite her in, even when Gloria points out how nice the house looks in a clear,"Invite me in to show it off" gesture. She just wants to get away, thanking her again for the compliment and closing the car door. It would be rude if Gloria hadn't been so off, even if Carmela doesn't know the backstory of this woman, she was smart enough to pick up something was wrong, which took Tony far longer and which he still hasn't quite grasped the depth of.

Late that night, Jackie and Dino sit at Rosalie's table eating pasta. Jackie, who once detested Christopher, is now singing his praises, and Dino agrees, he is fearless. Ralphie wanders in wearing a dressing gown, overhearing the last part and asking who is fearless? Jackie doesn't dissemble, though he also doesn't note that Christopher offered them a potential place on his crew, simply saying they appreciate he was Made despite his youth. Ralphie doesn't dispute Christopher's achievements either, agreeing that he wanted it so he stepped up and took it... and then Ralphie makes one of the biggest mistakes of his life: he tells Jackie about how his father and Tony made their names with the Feech La Manna heist.

Jackie of course is all ears, this is a story about his father, stories he has surprisingly few off since his dad never wanted him involved in the mob. Ralphie settles down with his drink and spins a tale, an expansion of the very brief recap Richie Aprile gave in season two. There was a pathetic little crew that Jackie, Tony, Silvio and Ralphie ran back in their youth, a crew they thought was close to being the 6th Family even though they were nobodies. They sold pot, stolen goods, small-time stuff... until one day Jackie - who had balls as big as an Irish broad's rear end - came up with an idea: rob Feech La Manna's poker game. Feech was an old school Mustache Pete, Made in Italy, who ran a Saturday Night poker game, and Jackie's idea was that Jackie, Ralphie and Tony would rob him... except Ralphie got the clap and couldn't go, and he's regretted it ever since. Jackie and Tony took the game down, left with 20k, and after a Sitdown and the right people getting paid, the whole thing was put to bed but Jackie and Tony had made their point about being people to take seriously.

I have no doubt Ralphie is hugely exaggerating his own proposed role in the heist, and probably his role in the crew as well. Note that he puts Jackie Sr's name first but his own above Tony's? That Silvio is left out of the story almost entirely? He admits that he remained "a little poo poo, like the two of you" for a few years till he got Made too, but his regret that he wasn't part of the score obviously rankles him. Jackie became the Boss, Tony was a Captain and lived in a mansion long before he became the Boss himself, and Ralphie... despite all the money he makes the Family, he only just got made a Captain himself as a last resort after the previous guy died taking a poo poo.

He tells them goodnight and gets up to go to bed, but leaves Jackie with a sour taste in his mouth when he instructs him to rinse the plates before he puts them in the dishwasher so it won't clog. Jackie can't help but be left feeling all the more like a "little poo poo" and far from a rising star by that statement.

Carmela sits at home weeping openly at a commercial about treating dogs well, disgusted with herself when she realizes she's watching an ad for dogfood: what the hell is wrong with her?

Tony leaves another tryst with Gloria, making out with her in her doorway as she teases him with the idea of having sex right there out in the open. But as he is thrilling to how sexy and open she is, she suddenly "notices" that her car is slanted, and takes a closer peek and realizes that her car tires have been slashed. Tony is startled to see it, while Gloria ponders who could have done such a creepy thing. When she sees a look pass over Tony's face, she becomes determined that he knows who did it which makes him angry, and disgusted with him she storms past to go back into her house. Frustrated, he admits that once his ex-girlfriend slashed HIS tires when she was mad at him, but that was just a passing thought and he's sure it was just a coincidence. Gloria leaps on this though, was this the ex who called him on the boat? Why is he suddenly assuring her that he'll buy the new tires if he has a guilty conscience? They break into a full fledged argument, during which Tony lets slip that he "slapped the piss" out of Irina the last time it happened, which creates an awkward silence between them. Tony now admits that there is a slight possibility that Irina did do this, but if so she's a poor confused immigrant and it isn't anything to make a big deal out of. As he examines them and figures out what new tires to order to replace them, she rolls her eyes and walks back into her house, leaving him feeling like a fool.

So what happened here? I don't for a second think that Irina slashed the tires. The way Gloria "noticed" the slant on the car and then her worrying about the creepiness of it all screams,"I want you to stay here tonight to 'protect' me": this is something she did herself as some hosed up way of getting his attention/sympathy. But that all changed when he didn't react exactly the way she expected, and the pure luck of the reveal that Irina once did this to him gave her another tack. Now she could make him guilty, put him on the back foot and put a little of the power imbalance back to her side after essentially having to beg him to take her back. Tony, who can be a surprisingly hapless fool with women at times, has fallen in estimation in her eyes, and she walks away to spend an evening alone but now feeling like she has a measure of control again.

Jackie and Dino have settles outside to smoke weed, where Jackie's mind is racing with possibilities following Ralphie's story. Being the unimaginative idiot that he is, his idea is to basically emulate his father right down to the letter: Eugene Pontecorvo has a card game going on right now, they could take it down right now if they wanted. Dino doesn't know, Eugene is on Ralphie's crew which means they'd basically be taking down Ralph's game. That's even better for Jackie, still smarting from being told to rinse the dishes by some guy who isn't even his father (and maybe even is a "secret fag"). They can call Carlo and get him to bring his shotgun, put on some masks, take the place down and sure eventually they'll figure out it was them, but then they can have a sitdown, give some of the money back but have established that THEY are free agents who dictate the terms of their life. After all, what's the worst that can happen? He's Jackie Aprile's son! Dino finally agrees, smoking the last of his join and trying to call Carlo, only to find he has no signal. They go inside to make the call, but become distracted by an airing of Basic Instinct, they're just in time to see Sharon Stone uncross her legs and flash a little crotch. They settle in to watch, two stoned idiots watching a movie, their thoughts of freedom and a life-changing score burned from their minds by a flash of nudity.

Another day, Carmela takes Confession at the Church, but not with Father Intintola. Instead, Father Obosi is there, he is studying for a Doctorate in Psychology (Carmela assumes it is Psychiatry) and Father Intintola said he might be better suited to help her current predicament. Dr. Krakower's words have continued to haunt her in spite of her efforts to twist them around to her own desire to maintain her material wealth and comfort. She explains to Father Obosi what Krakower told her, and her current sickness makes her sure she is about to die and will never know the peace and grace of an eternity with God (as seen in the painting at the Met). Obosi is confused, she is dying? She explains she is certain she has Ovarian Cancer, though she admits she hasn't seen any doctors yet. She explains her symptoms to him and reveals her cousin Kathy died of Ovarian Cancer, but he notes her symptoms might also be a sign of pregnancy and she admits that this is another possibility that occured to her... but it doesn't seem like this gives her any comfort either. Obosi, who appears to be an intelligent and thoughtful man, suggests it might be better if they put aside the sacrament for a moment and had a more comfortable face to face meeting in his office, and she agrees.

Once there, he brings her water and she tells him further details of Krakower's "advice" (more commands): she should leave her husband, and she admitted it seemed right to her. Obosi, who is intellectual, educated and empathetic, is also a Catholic Priest, and calmly he reminds her that she made a sacred vow and therefore divorce is completely out of the question. He allows only one potential out clause there, is Tony abusive towards her? Not TO her, she admits, but he is unfaithful (Obosi clearly doesn't think that warrants divorce). She agrees that she loves her husband but her life is financed by Tony's crime, and she's aware that the 50k she forced out of him for Columbia is straight up blood money. But Obosi offers a surprisingly convenient out for her spiritual and moral tension: God understands her situation, and since Tony is a good man/father outside of his criminal acts, she must simply live within the boundaries of those parts of him she finds God and never step over the line into areas where she feels culpable. Like Gloria he makes a point of looking directly at her sapphire ring, which she immediately tries to hide behind her other hand. She simply has to figure out where that line is, and forego those things which lay without it.

It's a pathetic, fence-sitting answer that provides no moral guidance or framework. He sounds great, he carries great authority in his demeanor and his voice to go with the trappings of his Priest garb: but he is effectively telling her it is perfectly fine to keep living off the proceeds of crime. There is no line, all of Tony's money comes from crime or is in some way tainted by it. She enables him, she celebrates the excess it brings and the envy of everybody who sees it, and all he has done is make her feel like not only is this fine, but that she will be rewarded by God if she simply denies herself a few excessive luxuries to go along with her opulent lifestyle. It might as well be prosperity gospel. What he has done though is put her mind at ease, she's no longer the emotional mess she was (and why not? A moral authority figure has just told her that her living off the proceeds of crime is a-ok in God's eyes!), and he does offer one piece of very good advice to close their session: she should go and see an OB-Gyn.

Returning home, she reads the paper as Tony eats cereal at the kitchen counter beside her. She laughs at his bad joke about Mad Cow Disease when she reads from an article, and then cheers him up further when she informs him that Jackie and Meadow are no longer dating. He couldn't be happier and Carmela agrees, and then dishes some gossip she got from Angie who got it from her son Kevin: Jackie was smoking marijuana and got caught cheating at Rutgers. It is hard to tell if Tony - who knew Jackie was a lying, cheating piece of poo poo - is genuine with his,"Oh gee, that bad?" reaction to this, but he isn't pleased when Carmela points out she would have been better off with "that black kid". He doesn't like that but can't deny Carmela praising his 4.0 GPA and the fact he's moving to India for the United Nations. Of course neither know that Noah dumped Meadow because he got bored of her/wanted an excuse to move on after loving up a single grade and putting at risk the OCD roadplan he and his father has set out for his entire life. She takes a phone-call, pleased to hear from Gloria Trillo at Globe Motors who wanted to let her know about a new line of Mercedes that had just come in. Carmela thanks her but notes she has over a year left on her current lease, and laughs at Gloria's suggestion she run it by her husband to see if he wants to treat her. Even if Gloria wasn't a lunatic who was also banging Tony, it would be a pretty screwed up thing to say to somebody over the phone, but Carmela sees no malice in the statement. After hanging up she muses how nice this woman (she was too unnerved by to invite her inside the house) was to call, and lets an interested Tony know all about her: the sales lady from Globe Motors who drove her home just the other day. Tony lets that sit for a moment, processing, holding in his rage before he agrees with Carmela she should hold on to the current lease for another year, then gets up and uses every bit of willpower he has to maintain his calm as he walks away.

Not long after he pulls up at Globe Motors and barrels straight towards Gloria as she is being harangued by a co-worker who desperately wants to switch days-off with her. She quickly gets rid of him as she sees Tony approaching, and he grabs her by one arm and drags her into an office. Seeing the smirk on her face as he whispers rage-filled accusations at her, he grips her fully around the neck with one of his large paws, demanding to know if she is out of her mind. She responds back that she was upset about his ex slashing her tires (she met Carmela before then, of course) and wanted him to see her version of a similar invasion into personal space. He at least stops trying to choke her, but he's furious about her doing this and then looking him in the eyes and saying nothing (he knows at least that the timeline she offered doesn't work). She insists it is normal to be curious about the significant other OF SOMEBODY YOU LOVE, shouting the last part out loud. Breathing heavily, struggling to maintain his temper, he tells her she is twisted but she promises him she's not.... and then is somehow shocked when he declares she can now tell Melfi she ruined EIGHT relationships, because it's over. He storms out, leaving her bewildered, somehow she thought this was going to another flirty "fight" that got resolved with them screwing in a hotel. As she stands watching him go, her co-worker rushes back to her side to once again eagerly attempt to switch days-off so he can take his kid to hear Raffi!

Days have passed and Jackie and Dino still haven't followed through on their plan to take control of their lives, instead watching a documentary about Vanilla Ice. Jackie shuts the TV down and says enough is enough, it's time to call Carlo and set things in motion. Dino still seems unsure, he doesn't even know who Feech La Manna was! But when Jackie effective double-dog dares him he has no choice.

Carmela attends lunch at Vesuvio's with Angie, Gabriella and Rosalie, where she fills them in on the result of her ultra-sound. It turns out she simply had a slight thyroid condition (I was positive it was going to turn out to be menopause), and now that she knows she wasn't pregnant she admits that she wouldn't have minded at all now that the kids are growing up. Angie admits wanting a grandchild, but her daughter Terry is struggling to concieve. Rosalie meanwhile is sick over the fact Jackie and Meadow broke up, and looks slightly put out when Carmela - who very carefully doesn't agree or disagree - notes that Meadow isn't like Carmela at her age, it just seems to have rolled off of her back. Angie and Gabriella point out they made the "mistake" of marrying their men instead of dating them, and Rosalie brings up Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky. They all are immediately dismissive of Hillary Clinton who they don't like, until they all come to the agreement that her keeping her head held high and standing by her man was a sign of strength and to be respected. Or in other words, they come to the agreement that THEY are good and right to have let their men openly cheat on them all these years. It is especially telling for Carmela who can't help but think about her guidance to find a way to live with Tony's crimes, but it is Angie who will really end up taking it to heart. Like Hillary Clinton, she will survive the humiliation and then "build her own little thing", while Carmela will continue to simply smile and enable Tony to keep being Tony.

At the Bada Bing, Tony is discussing the almost entirely forgotten airline ticket case with somebody (his lawyer?). It was supposed to take up a majority of the initial plans for season 3, now it is reduced to a throwaway line by Tony as he notes they are holding off on a charge so they can wrap it up in a larger Rico case if they ever find something juicier to get him with. Patsy pops in and apologetically tells him there is a woman on line two for him, and she seems to be crying. Answering, he listens with little sympathy to Gloria sobbing and barely able to spit out any words as she mumbles over and over again,"Tony I don't know I don't know I don't know.... I can't take it anymore, I don't know why I don't know why, stay, Tony, Tony!"

Pissed, he comes around to her house where she, of course, carefully checks her make-up and hair before letting him in. He's irritated at being called out, he doesn't want to be there, but he feels like there is some sort of obligation. No longer a blubbering mess, she apologizes for calling him out but insists she loves him and just wants things to go back to the way they were. He is adamant though, that isn't going to happen, telling she she is beautiful and talented but she pushes men away with her actions. His analysis isn't bad and he's at least trying, but he's entirely the wrong person to be telling her this and he should have known that coming to the house was a mistake that would only make her feel more positive that there was a chance of reconciliation. When he points out that the incident with the tires was overkill, he's a grown man who has been with other women before, her reaction is a passive-aggressive piece of "submission" as she tearfully tells him she'll sit like a mute and let him screw anybody he wants. He recognizes the tone from her (he's heard it before her from another woman, he just can't admit it to himself) and repeats what he told her at Globe Motors, this time not from a position of anger: it's over. They had their "mofo" and it was great, but it is over now. She stares up at him with yearning... and then the rage switches on, another sudden mood swing as she snarls that he can't just treat her like a stupid goombah housewife. Making clear allusion to Carmela, she rages that she won't let somebody poo poo all over her just because they bought her some gaudy ring.... and he backhands across the face and sends her tumbling to the floor as HE explodes with sudden rage right back at her, demanding to know where the gently caress she gets off. But as he looms over her, a monstrous physical presence that dwarfs her, as he roars at her that his life is no picnic and she doesn't have the market on being depressed cornered.... she responds with an acid-fueled, sarcastic,"Oh POOR you!" and suddenly it hits him. He backs up, his face a study in horror as she sneers at him about nobody caring if she lives or dies, and he FINALLY understands what anybody else could have seen immediately, that Melfi DID immediately understand. "I didn't just meet you," he gasps in horror,"I've known you my whole life."

Because of course Gloria is just like Livia. Yes she's young and sexy and independent, but the underlying narcissistic depression and inability to feel joy? That was all Livia Soprano. Tony found a new woman to replace his mother as the person he wanted to make happy so she would give him the love he always felt was missing. Just like with Livia, it all turned to ash because she isn't somebody that he - with his own narcissism and self-loathing - could ever comfortably co-exist with: they're too alike, and Livia was his mother which made her a colossus even into his adulthood.

Gloria mocks the cliche of him bringing up his mother, her love turned to bitterness in the snap of a finger. Desperate to be out of there, he tells her she's crazy and tries to leave, but she rushes after him growling that all she ever asked for was kindness. He pushes her back to the floor and warns her not to try to contact him or get near him, over means over and that is the end of that. But as he pulls open the door to go and ignores her now frantic pleas for him not to go, she pulls out her trump card and screaming that she'll call his wife. He freezes, turning with cold rage and asking what she just said... and note that when he closes the door, he makes a point to lock it. This is somebody who isn't acting in the heat of the moment, this is somebody with plans. As he approaches, Gloria darts over the furniture, frantically warning that she'll go to Columbia and see his daughter. Is she thinking at all at this point beyond how to keep him in the room? Is she thinking that she can blackmail him into staying with her and then things will just go back to how they were? When Tony gets hold of her, a far darker reasoning she may not even have been aware of comes to the fore. He flips the table, corners her in the kitchen, gets hold of her arms and then with sickening ease hauls her up into the air and crashes her into the floor where he starts choking her. Like Ralphie he is physically assaulting a woman who said something he didn't want to hear with fatal intent: it's not a 1:1 situation but there isn't any justification. He chokes her with both hands, when we already know one is enough to surround her whole neck, hissing at her that if she comes near him or his family he will kill her. She lays on her back, the life being choked from her... and she begs him to kill her, going from defiance to sobbing pleading for him to end the misery of her existence and kill her. Ironically this is what saves her, as her clearly suicidal desire pierces the red haze of murderous rage in Tony's mind. Half disgusted, half pitying, he releases her throat and lets her breathe again. He stands and walks away, Gloria making a futile, pathetic effort to grab at him as he leaves her home to never return.

Meanwhile, Jackie and Dino have gotten through to Carlo and picked up Matush to be their driver, calling in the favor that Matush owes to Jackie after he "helped" him with his drug-dealing at Crazy Horse. Despite aping Christopher on the Jewel heist at Rutgers in his warnings to Matush not to move the car, Jackie is starting to have second thoughts. Carlo and Dino both are pumped up and Matush clearly wants to be anywhere else but there. Jackie is their leader so they look to him for the final word, and losing his nerve he decides gently caress it, they'll just go down to the Shore! Dino is clearly disappointed and Jackie knows it, and there is an uncomfortable moment before Dino says they should just do it before the crank they took (freebies from Matush?) wears off. Jackie agrees and they pull their masks on, then burst into the game ready to take down Eugene's minor little game... and find Furio and Christopher both sitting at the table.

Everybody at the table and Eugene from his standing position completely keep their cool. As the increasingly nervous robbers start piling cash into bags, each of them warns the robbers they're making a mistake. Eugene, Furio and Christopher are all Made and speak sparsely but with authority. The trouble is the dealer, Sunshine, who is bemused at them wasting their time on such a low-level game (he works THE EXECUTIVE GAME, remember) and can't help but quote JFK at them. Christopher quietly warns Sunshine to be quiet, seeing how freaked out (and high) the robbers are, and looking at the masked robbers he clearly recognizes Jackie. Before anything else can be said though, the door from the toilet opens and Albert Barese walks in, the Acting Captain for Larry Boy Barese and another heavy-hitter in the family. Carlo unloads with his shotgun in a panic and Albert ducks down and throws his hands up, while outside Matush hears the gun and IMMEDIATELY floors it out of there without a second thought. Sunshine, unable to resist, quotes Rudyard Kipling, or at least tries too... but Jackie is so pumped up on adrenaline (and drugs) that it sets him off and he opens fire, killing him. This sets off a flurry of action as the poker players dive to the floor, Christopher pulling out his gun and shooting Carlo right in the head as he swings around to open fire with his shotgun. Furio is hit by a wild bullet in the upper thigh and Dino and Jackie make a run for it, rushing outside where they find Matush nowhere to be seen. Freaking out, Dino tries to run down the street but Jackie turns and blocks an oncoming car, jacking it from the squealing lady driver and flooring it out of there. Dino sees him coming and tries to wave him down, but Jackie is stopping for nothing and abandons him, leaving him standing on the street alone... and then Christopher and Albert step up beside him with guns drawn and pointed right at him. Promising that they didn't know Christopher would be in there, Dino attempts to appeal to protection, saying they're with Ralphie. Seeing the complete lack of care in both their faces, he manages a pathetic,"Please?" before they blow his brains out, scatter up his stolen money and then pile into a car with a cursing Furio so they can drive him to get medical treatment. Thus ends Jackie Aprile Jr's attempt to emulate his father's jump to the big leagues.

Dr. Fried is summoned from the middle of a commercial shoot for erectile dysfunction, irritated by Tony calling him but obviously not enough to turn him down (and lose regular, top-level access to the illegal gambling he loves). He tends to Furio, getting the bullet out of his thigh. Tony tries to make light of the situation as Furio rages in pain ("Is this a prick a Doctor?" he demands,"Close,"replies Fried,"I'm a prick doctor!") but he's clearly deeply concerned not just about Furio but the botched heist itself. He and Christopher step outside the "operating room" where Chrissy is determined to find Jackie Jr and kill him tonight. Tony puts the kibosh on that though, and refuses to offer an explanation or confirm or deny that he doesn't want to kill Jackie Aprile's kid in spite of his clear violation of every rule in the book. Tony tries to point out that they risk exposure if every murder they commit, but Christopher is having none of it: he and Furio are both Made guys, Jackie took shots at both of them, for that alone he has to die. He accuses Tony of being a hypocrite (he's right!) and won't back down when Tony rounds on him for the disrespect, saying that everybody but Tony has to play by the rules. Tony is pissed now, grabbing Christopher by the collar and shaking him, saying it's too bad if Christopher doesn't love him anymore but he doesn't HAVE to love him, he just has to respect him. Christopher shakes him off, slapping his arm away and storming out to go looking for Jackie himself, or at least to get clear of Tony.

The night passes and early in the morning, Tony and Silvio sit in the back of Satriale's playing cards and waiting for the arrival of Ralph Cifaretto. Silvio clears out when Patsy announces Ralph's arrival, and they hug before discussing what is to be done with Jackie Jr now, especially since Rosalie has now heard that Dino was shot on the street and she knows he was tight with Jackie. In the remarkable scene that follows, Tony and Ralphie both sit down and attempt to pass the buck to each other through friendly commiseration. It's Ralph's card card... but Tony is so close to the family! But Ralph is living under the same room, and what happened to Sunshine is a disgrace. Ralph admits he wants to give Jackie Jr a pass... but of course Tony has bigger concerns so if he orders it then clearly Ralph has to do what TONY says has to be done. Tony of course thinks that Ralph should go with his instincts and the hell with anybody who says Ralph is shirking his duties or made a mistake, sure Furio took a hit and Chris got shot at, but if Ralphie REALLY wants to give Jackie a pass then that is RALPHIE'S call and Tony will make sure everybody knows it. This is why he made him a Captain after all! Ralph tries one final, desperate, dirty trick: Jackie is Rosalie's kid. This gives Tony pause for only a second before he agrees that everybody will understand if RALPH decides to give Jackie a pass, because he's Rosalie's kid. But of course if the decision goes the other way, then Tony insists that Ralph cannot blame himself because he did the best he could... right? He then makes a point of handing over the 38 he took off of Jackie, all friendly and non-judgemental, letting it hang between them after asking if Ralphie did his best to mentor Jackie.

Ralph leaves in a daze, standing outside in the early morning light blinking. Tony has completely scrambled his brains, leaving him in an unenviable position. Now the onus is on Ralph to deal with Jackie Jr, and no matter which decision he makes he is utterly screwed. He either kills Jackie Jr and devastates Rosalie while also admitting to Tony that Jackie's gently caress-ups were due to Ralph being a bad role-model (what happens if they find out HE told Jackie the Feech La Manna story?), or he gives him a pass and alienates EVERYBODY on the crew regardless of Tony's assurances. This is the poo poo that goes with the added respect and money that comes from being a Captain, as Tony told him, he should be careful what he wishes for.

In therapy, Tony addresses the other major issue in his life: Gloria. He is filled with loathing, both for her and for himself: she wanted him to kill her, and that means she never saw him as a Captain of Industry type, she saw him as a hammer, a tool for her to kill herself. Melfi disagrees, in her way, Gloria did love him. Tony mutters that she was just another Irina but with a College Degree, already trying to shut down the realization that she was his mother. Melfi won't let it go though, asking him to contemplate how he recognized under Gloria's sophistication the wounded, angry being that could replicate his relationship with Livia. Tony rejects that outright, because for him he can only consider this in the context of sex, and he knows no matter what Melfi says he did not want to gently caress his mother. Melfi of course meant nothing of the sort, it wasn't about sex, it was about pleasing her, winning the love of somebody who is selfish and desires drama for her own satisfaction. She doesn't touch on the fact that Tony defines his relationships with women (outside of his daughter) through sex, that's another matter for another day, there is a bigger thing to deal with right now. Tony though wants an answer on a more immediate concern: does he have to worry about Gloria coming for him? Will she contact Carmela or Meadow like she threatened? That Melfi can't say, wanting to stay on topic, and asks him why he puts his marriage in jeopardy in pursuit of dangerous relationships? She scoffs when he suggests he is trying to get out, noting that he will never leave Carmela: she may leave him, but he will never leave her. She is the one good female relationship outside of his mother he has ever had, the only one who is NOT exactly like his mother, and his own selfishness won't let him give that up.

This has been one of those sessions she dreams of, one where Tony is engaged and actually listens and takes part and makes breakthroughs. She can sense he has had enough though, ending the session, and instead of his usual charm or forced humor or angry storm-outs, he just raises up and trudges slowly out the door, utterly exhausted.

But again, the real benefit of this therapy session doesn't come in the way Melfi would prefer. Instead, Tony lets most of what he absorbed either fall away or sink into his subconscious while he concentrates on one thing: Melfi can't say if Gloria will come after his family or not. So he finds a shockingly effective if dark method to prevent that. Gloria takes a customer out for a test drive, glum and depressed in the rain while he is chipper and pleasant.... until he pulls over on the side of the road and she assumes he is going to attempt a sexual assault of some kind. Almost bored, she warns him that standard operating procedure is to call the cops if she's not back in 10 minutes, so he's wasting his time. In response, Patsy Parisi pulls a gun on her and warns her with a cheerful smile to stay away from Tony Soprano. He doesn't let her talk, instead he simply explains in his warm, friendly way that if she ever goes near Tony or his family, then they will scrape her nipples off the fine leather seats. Smile getting wider, he happily explains to the terrified woman the kicker: it won't be Tony who does this to her, his face won't be the last she sees... it'll be Patsy's. Displaying a deeper understanding of Gloria's psyche than expected, Patsy hits her with a final parting shot that goes right to the core of her suicidal ideation:

As A Bob Dylan cover of Return to Me plays (recorded specifically for The Sopranos!), we see the aftermath of the Jackie and Gloria situations. At Rosalie's, she is desperate for word of Jackie and believes the worst when Ralph tells her he has disturbing news. He assures her that Jackie isn't dead, but he does have a very bad drug problem and has gotten into debt to drug dealers. Ralph is determined to find him and get him the help and the rehab he needs though, hugging the weeping mother close and doing his best to spin this into him being the good guy.

At the Soprano home, Carmela is reading up on taking the Real Estate exam, looking for a way to "build her own little thing" ala Hillary Clinton. Tony joins her and she lies about getting her ring resized, as this is the "sacrifice" she has made in order to be at peace with enabling Tony's crimes and infidelities.

Finally, Patsy Parisi picks up groceries and happily talks on the phone to his wife, having completed his errands both domestic and business and ready to "hurry home, hurry home" as the song says. He's completely at ease, there is no inner turmoil and anguish from the man who has whiplashed from threatening a terrified woman with murder and then doing the shopping and chatting amicably to his wife. What is the importance of this final scene? I'd argue it is to demonstrate the value of somebody who isn't trying to get one over on anybody else. After the death of his brother, Patsy has come to terms with his place, for better or worse. Now he just does his job, does it well, and then goes home to a happy wife and a happy life. He's just as capable as all the others of horrific acts of violence, but nothing is personal, and in many ways that makes him all the more terrifying.

Season 3: Mr. Ruggerio's Neighborhood | Proshai, Livushka | Fortunate Son | Employee of the Month | Another Toothpick | University | Second Opinion | He Is Risen | The Telltale Moozadell | ...To Save Us All from Satan's Power | Pine Barrens | Amour Fou | Army of One
Season 1 | Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 | Season 5 | Season 6.1 | Season 6.2

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 23, 2020

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Good stuff as always. I like that scene with Patsy because you don't always get to see all of the made guys in action and Patsy in most other situations seems relatively harmless. When you see him there threatening Gloria you realize oh poo poo he's actually as dangerous as any made guy. And the actor really sells it and comes off as pretty terrifying.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Patsy was such a great character I wish he had been in more scenes but he was perfect in everything he did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even in a show where you can throw a rock and hit a menacing performance, I've always found Patsy here particularly stone cold.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Is this show worth watching if you've never seen it and the only thing you know about it, really, is that the final scene ends in a weird way with a cut to black?

I feel like I missed the boat on The Sopranos, but will it hold up for a new viewer this long after the original airing or is it a product of it's time?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It absolutely holds up. There are a few small things, like everybody using flip-phones and some comments made in places that remind just how different America was pre 9/11 (next episode I'm writing up features Tony assuring Carmela that the US barely even goes to war anymore), but even 20 years after it first came out it remains a high watermark for television.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How hard is it to get on a plane?!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Jerusalem posted:

He flips the table, corners her in the kitchen, gets hold of her arms and then with sickening ease hauls her up into the air and crashes her into the floor where he starts choking her. Like Ralphie he is physically assaulting a woman who said something he didn't want to hear with fatal intent: it's not a 1:1 situation but there isn't any justification. He chokes her with both hands, when we already know one is enough to surround her whole neck, hissing at her that if she comes near him or his family he will kill her. She lays on her back, the life being choked from her... and she begs him to kill her, going from defiance to sobbing pleading for him to end the misery of her existence and kill her. Ironically this is what saves her, as her clearly suicidal desire pierces the red haze of murderous rage in Tony's mind. Half disgusted, half pitying, he releases her throat and lets her breathe again. He stands and walks away, Gloria making a futile, pathetic effort to grab at him as he leaves her home to never return.

Another great writeup, thanks Jerusalem.

This scene always stuck with me, the overpowering physical presence of Gandolfini in that moment, when he lifts her and slams her so easily. He is almost an animal in how he moves, an angry bear attacking its prey.

His whole relationship with Gloria Trillo is a mess, but the moment when he recognizes Livia in her is a great moment for his character, and one of the few actual insights he has into his own psyche outside of therapy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Martian Manfucker posted:

Is this show worth watching if you've never seen it and the only thing you know about it, really, is that the final scene ends in a weird way with a cut to black?

I feel like I missed the boat on The Sopranos, but will it hold up for a new viewer this long after the original airing or is it a product of it's time?

As somebody who only started watching after the series ended, knowing the finale: It's absolutely worth watching. You'll see a lot of things that have been echoed in modern prestige dramas that you can point to and say "Oh, Sopranos did it first...and better."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

I watched it for the first time about three years ago, it’s really great character driven tv.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Sopranos and The Wire are both two shows that undeniably hold up and are worth watching still in TYOOL2019 if you haven't before, even if you've heard spoilers

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Tony assuring Carmela that the US barely even goes to war anymore)

You don't listen to the president? We're gonna mop the floor with the whole fuckin' world. The whole world's gonna be under our control. So what are you worked up about?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

You don't listen to the president? We're gonna mop the floor with the whole fuckin' world. The whole world's gonna be under our control. So what are you worked up about?

I still remember the first time I watched that episode, and realizing,"Holy poo poo there are straight up people in the world (a lot of them!) who think this exact same thing :stare:"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The same aria that ended the last episode begins this one. Carmela and Meadow have gone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, following up on Carmela's concern that Meadow wasn't taking advantage of the cultural wonders at her fingertips. Unfortunately for Carmela, despite her period not being due she is spotting and so she has to borrow a tampon from Meadow, putting a slight damper on the day. When she returns, they look over various portraits, Meadow dismissing the subject of one of Reuben's paintings by pointing out she only had her portrait made because she was the wife of somebody rich. For Carmela this probably seems an entirely reasonable thing, but she instead notes that Meadow talks the talk but her current grades aren't reflecting that.

Interesting parallel here with Johnny Sack's wife, who he refers to as Ruebenesque, and their family dynamic in contrast with the Sopranos. Johnny loves his wife unconditionally and never cheats on her, gives his daughter's engagement his blessing and throws a lavish wedding in her honor (as opposed to Tony's issues with all of Meadow's suitors), and openly weeps when taken from his family, something he's immediately mocked for by his fellow mob associates.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

The Sopranos and The Wire are both two shows that undeniably hold up and are worth watching still in TYOOL2019 if you haven't before, even if you've heard spoilers

'The Golden Age of Television' is a thing that's made much hay of, but if there was such a thing then you could imagine that The Sopranos started it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

She scoffs when he suggests he is trying to get out, noting that he will never leave Carmela: she may leave him, but he will never leave her. She is the one good female relationship outside of his mother he has ever had, the only one who is NOT exactly like his mother, and his own selfishness won't let him give that up.

Tony Soprano never got owned as hard in the show as he got owned right there.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Others already said this but absolutely yes it's worth watching. Even knowing the ending is barely a spoiler plus I've re-watched the show like 4 times and enjoy it more every time even knowing the major plot points. It is up there with the greatest TV shows ever, and doesn't feel dated at all except in very minor ways that were already mentioned.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

banned from Starbucks posted:

You know, Quasimodo predicted all this

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I dont know why, but probably one of my most favorite scenes in the show was Chris throwing a rock at a waiter causing him to start having a seizure. Paulie, unsure of what to do because they're both stupid as hell immediately pull out a gun and shoots the seizing waiter to death and they run off. Something about that was incredibly goddamn funny. The post murder discussion the day later where they wax poetic about how short and fleeting life is so they stop fighting was just the cherry on top.

The episode with Paulie and Chris chasing the Russian in the snow was also really good.

I dunno why but even though he's an amoral crazy rear end in a top hat murderer Paulie was by far my most favorite character

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked Paulie up until the stuff with his mom. That came off as really disgusting and still true to his character, which made me realize that nah, this guy is a real piece of poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think the most telling thing after they shoot the waiter is that their biggest concern is arguing over whether to split the money they took from his corpse. It's comedy, but goddamn is it dark comedy.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

ruddiger posted:

I liked Paulie up until the stuff with his mom. That came off as really disgusting and still true to his character, which made me realize that nah, this guy is a real piece of poo poo.

He does come around to her before she passes if I remember right. The him rejecting her is some real gut wrenching stuff. I wanna say Tony, probably one of the biggest pieces of poo poo out there and also possessing gigantic mommy issues, tells him to give up the grudge. That whole arc with his mom was just sad.

He's a terrible person like I said but the show is all about incredibly terrible people. Him being so incredibly out of touch or massively overreacting to mundane poo poo was pretty funny but you never really forget he does some monstrous poo poo

Jerusalem posted:

I think the most telling thing after they shoot the waiter is that their biggest concern is arguing over whether to split the money they took from his corpse. It's comedy, but goddamn is it dark comedy.

Yeah I cannot imagine the whole scene wasn't meant to be comedic even if the scene is someone being murdered over something incredibly petty. I probably shouldn't have laughed but it was just so over the top.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 1, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Servaetes posted:

Yeah I cannot imagine the whole scene wasn't meant to be comedic even if the scene is someone being murdered over something incredibly petty. I probably shouldn't have laughed but it was just so over the top.

Its just so blatant and honestly it really is necessary. The show is so good that people constantly lose sight of the main cast being savage murders and violent criminals. Every now and again some 100% senseless violence and murder that gets played off as no big deal brings it back to the fore.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Paulie robs and murders an old lady because the old lady group doesn’t include his mom (not mom) in their old home activities

Which is a big contrast to him staring at / picking at his fingers like a little kid when tony yells at him about the painting of tony and pie o my

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

EwokEntourage posted:

Paulie robs and murders an old lady because the old lady group doesn’t include his mom (not mom) in their old home activities

I rewatched that ep yesterday and he's also doing it because he feels like he's outside Tony's circle for not earning enough, and the old lady had a bunch of cash stuffed under her mattress.