Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TGLT posted:

[Williamson Headquarters]

Williamson: Crystals, crystals-

Williamson's Thoughtform: crystals, CRYSTALS

Williamson: [forging her love-blade] CRYSTALS, CRYSTALS, CRYSTALS!
If people start Photoshopping Williamson with a lightsaber, I will be 100% on board and extremely obnoxious about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

YMB posted:

Not the ones that the most frequently disenfranchised Americans tend to work at.
Wouldn't a hourly employee get time and a half on a federal holiday though?

Edit nope varies state to state jfc

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/LateNightSeth/status/1144638865053028353

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I think my vote is changing from yang to williamson tbh

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LionArcher posted:

Also, yang is wherever, but can somebody who actually is in this for the long haul please throw in UBi? Because that would sure be awesome to get ahead of.

Yang's UBI would be a step backward. Due to the way it's calculated it is functionally a cut in social services, not an increase.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Halloween Jack posted:

If people start Photoshopping Williamson with a lightsaber, I will be 100% on board and extremely obnoxious about it.

the only moral humanitarian intervention is one undertaken entirely by actual carebears :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You know what else is closed on federal holidays? schools. Making election day a holiday would be great for college students and high school students old enough to vote

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tibalt posted:

Wouldn't a hourly employee get time and a half on a federal holiday though?

No. There's no law that says that employers have to pay extra to employees who work on federal holidays or have to pay employees who don't work on federal holidays

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yang's UBI would be a step backward. Due to the way it's calculated it is functionally a cut in social services, not an increase.

Not his UBI, a generally UBI. I haven’t heard anyone else pitching one (if Bernie or Warren has, great).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LionArcher posted:

So it basically comes down to my fear that I think Harris is more electable,

anytime you find yourself using this a justification you should stop and start over

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Not his UBI, a generally UBI. I haven’t heard anyone else pitching one (if Bernie or Warren has, great).

I think we're at least a generation away from a serious talk about UBI. We still struggle with stuff as simple as "corporations bad" and a lot of millennials remain bought-in on the idea of honest pay for a hard day's work.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Democrazy posted:

I don’t know if these takes a serious, but they definitely have a “Trump is actually leftist if you think about it” vibe

Mine is a serious take. She's not like, better than Warren or Bernie, but if she continues saying similar stuff she's definitely better than any of the centrists.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Skippy McPants posted:

I think we're at least a generation away from a serious talk about UBI. We still struggle with stuff as simple as "corporations bad" and a lot of millennials remain bought-in on the idea of honest pay for a hard day's work.

I don't know that we have a choice. There aren't enough "good" jobs for everyone in even the Millennial generation to have one, and I think it's starting to become really obvious. Without allowing buy-in to the poo poo system, there aren't going to be many people who will put up much of a fight to support it. It hurts the lovely old rich too, because nobody's buying their disused dream mansion 2s and 3s, and they aren't recouping their investments on them (which is a mortal sin, as I'm sure you're aware).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

unwantedplatypus posted:

Mine is a serious take. She's not like, better than Warren or Bernie, but if she continues saying similar stuff she's definitely better than any of the centrists.

I don't know what the body count is for anti-vax poo poo becoming mainstream enough for measles and mumps to come back, but it's pretty high.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

So I’ve been in the past threads as not loving Bernie. I’ll start by stating I was wrong about the book thing, and for that I apologize. I read a couple of hot takes on twitter and didn’t do research before bringing it here. Somebody asked me why I don’t like him, and last night I think it was covered perfectly. His policy’s are all things I generally agree with (minus that judge flub). But his delivery method bugs me. He yells too much, and just seems too old. Contrast that with Warren, who I like a great deal.

I also came out early liking Harris, and last night nailed why. She’s really loving good at debating and doing the politics of it. I want her to go after trump in a debate, because I think unlike Clinton she can get under his skin but also not lose her calm. I think he is more likely to blow a big gasket against her.

That being said, I totally get that she is a politician, and her being actually president won’t help the country nearly as much as if warren was president, or Bernie’s policies were in effect.

So it basically comes down to my fear that I think Harris is more electable, but I like warren more? (And If Bernie gets the nomination, I will vote for him).

Also, yang is wherever, but can somebody who actually is in this for the long haul please throw in UBi? Because that would sure be awesome to get ahead of.

Buddy, you're not supposed to outright admit that you go for style over substance.

Also, how exactly do you know who's "electable" and who's not?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

She's a self help writer who dismissed plans as superficial and spent her entire time talking in vague but important sounding platitudes. She tempered her nominal but non-specific support for reparations by saying the average american isn't racist, just undereducated.

She also focused on it as reparations for slavery and not, I dunno, reparations for the poo poo that has continued well into the modern day.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Hillary was the avatar of "electability politics" in 2016, and the result was the Democrats airballing a layup.

So uh gently caress that poo poo coming and going basically. Make poo poo better and people will want to vote for you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

She's a self help writer who dismissed plans as superficial and spent her entire time talking in vague but important sounding platitudes. She tempered her nominal but non-specific support for reparations by saying the average american isn't racist, just undereducated.

She also focused on it as reparations for slavery and not, I dunno, reparations for the poo poo that has continued well into the modern day.

Yeah its pretty incredible that she's still better than the 20 centrists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't agree with a lot of Williamson's policies, but I'm supporting her because she's the most electable candidate

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Gripweed posted:

I don't agree with a lot of Williamson's policies, but I'm supporting her because she's the most electable candidate

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I have to admit I'd be really intrigued what a Williamson presidency would look like

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1144640498239508480

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I can't help but be very frustrated watching Bernie over the past few months. His ideas and plans are so good and yet he refuses to ever deviate in the messaging. Let's not ever engage in anyone's personal identity and instead focus on everyone but lets also not talk about togetherness, just the end result of an upheaval. Is it really that difficult for him to have said last night, "Yes, their taxes will go up. They will also save money and never have to worry about what happens to their partner's treatment if they lose their jobs."

These fixes are soooooo easy fmpov and I get so very frustrated that he lives in his stump instead of talking at a micro level ever. I see these things and think that anyone who doesn't already actually know what he stands for isn't going to come around on his ideas. He isn't tackling the boogeymen our society has turned Policies That Help Poor People into, he is just repeating ad nauseam what we need.

e: oh and god drat it am I pissed off about the pre-debate. Those ghouls talked about everyone but Bernie and kept implying that Bernie couldn't fight Trump. Like, are you kidding? Angry old man only knows the warrior's way.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 28, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The DNC is clearly trying to rig the primary for Williamson, I hope she doesn't steal it from Bernie.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Well of course she's the most electable, you can't refuse the orders of a psychic.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah its pretty incredible that she's still better than the 20 centrists.

Legit, I would actually at least consider Biden before Williamson because at least he's not anti-vax. She becomes president and she will fall prey to every dumb poo poo and well entrenched grifter that rolls up to the white house.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TGLT posted:

Well of course she's the most electable, you can't refuse the orders of a psychic.

Legit, I would actually at least consider Biden before Williamson because at least he's not anti-vax. She becomes president and she will fall prey to every dumb poo poo and well entrenched grifter that rolls up to the white house.

biden's racist as gently caress. imo that's worse than anti-vaxx, but you do you

edit: also :lol: at the idea that the sundowning mumbling racist wouldn't fall prey to every grifter he encounters. old people who aren't all there are notoriously difficult to scam right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

biden's racist as gently caress. imo that's worse than anti-vaxx, but you do you

I can excuse racism, but scientific illiteracy !

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

Well Williamson isn't anti-vax:

quote:

I understand that many vaccines are important and save lives. I recognize there are epidemics around the world that are stopped by vaccines. I also understand some of the skepticism that abounds today about drugs which are rushed to market by Big Pharma. I am sorry that I made comments which sounded as though I question the validity of life-saving vaccines. That is not my feeling and I realize that I misspoke.

But yeah I'd vote for Williamson and probably never vote for Biden.

At least Williamson isn't pro-segregation.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

God drat Biden did so much worse than we thought he would.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

ELO Musk posted:

I can't help but be very frustrated watching Bernie over the past few months. His ideas and plans are so good and yet he refuses to ever deviate in the messaging. Let's not ever engage in anyone's personal identity and instead focus on everyone but lets also not talk about togetherness, just the end result of an upheaval. Is it really that difficult for him to have said last night, "Yes, their taxes will go up. They will also save money and never have to worry about what happens to their partner's treatment if they lose their jobs."

These fixes are soooooo easy fmpov and I get so very frustrated that he lives in his stump instead of talking at a micro level ever. I see these things and think that anyone who doesn't already actually know what he stands for isn't going to come around on his ideas. He isn't tackling the boogeymen our society has turned Policies That Help Poor People into, he is just repeating ad nauseam what we need.

It's unfortunate, but explaining your position will almost assuredly result in you losing immediately. The debates aren't to discuss policy with context and nuance, they're to generate buzz. The buzz gets the network ad revenue, and they put on more debates which lets people sample the various flavor of political candidate on offer, which in turn lets the popular ones get more money from more sources.

Like, I agree with you, it'd be nice if he said that succinctly, but people would only hear to "yes, their taxes will go up." and that's it. If the country weren't already full of people without critical thinking of any kind, the media portrayal would be enough to effectively make them seem that way anyway.

What I want to hear is someone put forth a plan to secure the independence and reliability of the 4th estate so that it isn't so drat poo poo. If we had a functioning method of speaking truth to power instead of the clickbaity nothing we have now, we'd have a lot more success in pushing toward society-positive goals.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Condiv posted:

edit: also :lol: at the idea that the sundowning mumbling racist wouldn't fall prey to every grifter he encounters

That wasn't a defense of Biden, and anti-vax poo poo is going to get people killed. She does not strike me at all as some one who has a meaningful capacity for discerning good ideas from bad ones, and the idea she is going to do any better than default centrist when going up against well entrenched interests is laughable. I do not think she would do any better than Biden or Tim Ryan or the rest of those fucks.

Trabisnikof posted:

Well Williamson isn't anti-vax:

But yeah I'd vote for Williamson and probably never vote for Biden.

At least Williamson isn't pro-segregation.

She called vaccine mandates Orwellian and draconian. She can play clean up after all she wants, doesn't change that.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TGLT posted:

you have no morals or spine, you're a vote blue no matter who kinda voter

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Did yall not hear when Bernie said:

GUTHRIE:

Senator Sanders I will give you 10 seconds just to ask the—answer the very direct question will you raise taxes for the middle class in a Sanders administration?

SANDERS:

People who have healthcare under Medicare for all will have no premiums, no deductibles, no copayments, no out of expe—out-of-pocket expenses. Yes, they will pay more in taxes but less in healthcare for what they get.

(APPLAUSE)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Did yall not hear when Bernie said:

GUTHRIE:

Senator Sanders I will give you 10 seconds just to ask the—answer the very direct question will you raise taxes for the middle class in a Sanders administration?

SANDERS:

People who have healthcare under Medicare for all will have no premiums, no deductibles, no copayments, no out of expe—out-of-pocket expenses. Yes, they will pay more in taxes but less in healthcare for what they get.

(APPLAUSE)

It was a meandering way that I felt diminished the final message

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TGLT posted:

That wasn't a defense of Biden, and anti-vax poo poo is going to get people killed. She does not strike me at all as some one who has a meaningful capacity for discerning good ideas from bad ones, and the idea she is going to do any better than default centrist when going up against well entrenched interests is laughable. I do not think she would do any better than Biden or Tim Ryan or the rest of those fucks.

racism gets people killed on the regular. also, anti-vaxx bs is way more likely to be fought against by people in the government than racism considering institutional racism is still a thing that permeates our government but anti-vaxx mentalities are not.

finally, biden seems less able to discern good ideas from bad ones considering he painted a giant loving target on his back the past few weeks by fondly reminiscing about his racist republican buddies and how he wishes he could go back to those days and also how he never made a mistake in his career (*cough* anti-bussing *cough*)

i can understand saying you'd never vote for williamson. imo she's an amusing joke candidate. but saying you'd vote for biden over her is really questionable imo

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

theblackw0lf posted:

I have to admit I'd be really intrigued what a Williamson presidency would look like

she forces the joint chiefs to look one another in the eyes and say, “I love and respect you” before allowing them to launch drone strikes

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 28, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie's messaging was imperfect. Stop defending it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Condiv posted:

racism gets people killed on the regular. also, anti-vaxx bs is way more likely to be fought against by people in the government than racism considering institutional racism is still a thing that permeates our government but anti-vaxx mentalities are not.

finally, biden seems less able to discern good ideas from bad ones considering he painted a giant loving target on his back the past few weeks by fondly reminiscing about his racist republican buddies and how he wishes he could go back to those days and also how he never made a mistake in his career (*cough* anti-bussing *cough*)

i can understand saying you'd never vote for williamson. imo she's an amusing joke candidate. but saying you'd vote for biden over her is really questionable imo

Snake oil people are loving loathsome. Yeah the Biden comment was probably too far because he's easily the worst of the actual candidates running, but I can't stand that predatory self help poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Buddy, you're not supposed to outright admit that you go for style over substance.

Also, how exactly do you know who's "electable" and who's not?

It’s 2019. What We should or should not supposed to do is dead as gently caress. I’m not personally going for style over substance. I’m saying I’m going for that if it’s what I think will win in the general. And I don’t know who’s electable or not. But neither does anyone else in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Hmm yes, let’s think about the theoretical deaths someone who personally doesn’t like Vaccines will cause, rather than the not at all theoretical deaths from any of the hawkish fucks currently jockeying for president.

Of course, most people in this thread will never have to worry about the latter.

edit: at the end of the day she's not taking vaccines away from anyone, most likely, so worst case scenario is the status quo probably

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 28, 2019