Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you locate an uninverted uart (not marked sbus) and use that for RC input it should work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

If you locate an uninverted uart (not marked sbus) and use that for RC input it should work fine

technically yes, but he keep saying when he changes Betaflight to iBus in the config it only shows him 4 channels in the Reciever tab, and that poo poo ain't right at all. You should see the full channel layout, they'll just be zeroed/centered

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yikes. Are flysky receivers usually that fucky?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

bring back old gbs posted:

technically yes, but he keep saying when he changes Betaflight to iBus in the config it only shows him 4 channels in the Reciever tab, and that poo poo ain't right at all. You should see the full channel layout, they'll just be zeroed/centered

Note this is only the case when I bridge ppm. If I bridge the sbus pad, ibus shows me the full channel layout. They just don't react to anything.

This has been a pretty cool first project though. Wouldn't be exciting if it just worked the first time.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Considering how much praise the Sailfly-X is getting for flying so great, I assume this is grounds for immediately opening a return with the seller without attempting to troubleshoot further? This looks like defective ESCs to me, and there isn't much I can do about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOAR42MyIU

This is on 3S, stock firmware, and PIDs that are either stock or lower than stock. Motors come down cool. More details in the video description.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 21, 2019

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Flying fpv is hard as gently caress, what the hell.

I've done plenty of flying with micro drones LOS. I've done a decent number of hours on a simulator.

With this tyro, I got comfortable enough to fly in Acro training mode, with a few flips in full Acro. Flying around objects, under trees, etc. But it's all LOS. Switching to fpv makes me feel really claustrophobic because I have a hard time relating to the objects I can't see, like my neighbor's house.

Then it picks up a little speed and I can hear it out there, and get disoriented because the sound is moving left to right but I'm flying straight.

How do I get over the sound relation barrier?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
while I haven't flown FPV, my intuitive uneducated answer would be "earplugs"

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
1) fly farther away with quieter props or
2) earplugs/headphones or
3) get a little earbud for onboard audio (nobody does this)

You’ll get used to it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You'll get used to it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Flying fpv is hard as gently caress, what the hell.

I've done plenty of flying with micro drones LOS. I've done a decent number of hours on a simulator.

With this tyro, I got comfortable enough to fly in Acro training mode, with a few flips in full Acro. Flying around objects, under trees, etc. But it's all LOS. Switching to fpv makes me feel really claustrophobic because I have a hard time relating to the objects I can't see, like my neighbor's house.

Then it picks up a little speed and I can hear it out there, and get disoriented because the sound is moving left to right but I'm flying straight.

How do I get over the sound relation barrier?

the sound thing sucks and you just have to get used to it, I still get tripped up when I'm flying with friends and I cut my throttle but their quad is close with throttle up and for a split second I'm like 'wait did my controls not respond???' but then you figure it out. And for me the trick was WAYY lower rates. Like 650deg/sec. feels sluggish when flying LOS but in FPV its perfect.

You can play with different mixes of RC Rate and Super Rate to end up at 650 degrees per sec, whatever feels comfortable to you, this is the part that sucks about getting into the hobby because you're not really sure what "feels right" just yet. I always have .2 in the expo column on all axis just to smooth out the center of the stick. I HATE the center of the stick to be twitchy and make the quad move fast with small deflections, I want it to be really smooth, and ramp up to fast movement as the stick gets close to the edge, so you can do really quick cool looking snap spins but still have precise control

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 23, 2019

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

bring back old gbs posted:

the sound thing sucks and you just have to get used to it, I still get tripped up when I'm flying with friends and I cut my throttle but their quad is close with throttle up and for a split second I'm like 'wait did my controls not respond???' but then you figure it out. And for me the trick was WAYY lower rates. Like 650deg/sec. feels sluggish when flying LOS but in FPV its perfect.

You can play with different mixes of RC Rate and Super Rate to end up at 650 degrees per sec, whatever feels comfortable to you, this is the part that sucks about getting into the hobby because you're not really sure what "feels right" just yet. I always have .2 in the expo column on all axis just to smooth out the center of the stick. I HATE the center of the stick to be twitchy and make the quad move fast with small deflections, I want it to be really smooth, and ramp up to fast movement as the stick gets close to the edge, so you can do really quick cool looking snap spins but still have precise control

This helps so much. I've been looking for some guidance on 'beginner fpv settings' to throw into betaflight and all I get are rtf kits and the basics of 'use microdrones to practice'.

I'll try this today in a big open field and see how it goes. Should be less panic inducing than watching it drift towards my house and trying to correct without overcorrecting as quickly as possible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If drifting is still an issue just spend the 10 hours in a sim and get rid of it forever.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Racers generally use even lower rates than that to increase precision. Personally I use about 450 deg/sec for racing, and the rest of my group are fairly similar rates with varying amounts of expo.

It does make flips and rolls quite slow, so you need plenty of height before attempting those maneuvers.

I agree that you will get used to it, it just takes more practice. Also you'll want to turn self-levelling off after your first one or two flights, it will hold you back as you're constantly fighting against it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I lowered rc rate to .88 and bumped super rate a tiny bit to get 650 but I can definitely see how lowering them even further will continue to help. With expo at .2 there's now a spot on the sticks where 'turn a little faster' and 'flip the gently caress over' are extremely close.

I'm not going for full stunts yet, just looking for level flight around obstacles with increasing speed. I'm going to lower that super rate so I can use more of the stick without losing control and see how that does.

And yeah, horizon mode has been off after two batteries. Used it to get the feel for throttle and went into acro trainer, where I still am. I attempted to turn off acro trainer for a hot minute and picked up way too much horizontal speed, but maybe I can try again after lowering those rates waaaaaay down.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
A longer focal length produces a more zoomed-in image with a narrower field of view.

Here's an ebay listing: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-8mm-3-6mm...tIoXRtlRY8xA06g

If you're feeling claustrophobic, maybe you could check that the focal length of the lens on your fpv camera isn't narrow. According to wikipedia, human eyes are good up to 140°, according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view#Common_lens_angles_of_view). So -in theory- this lens (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD-1-7mm-Wi...94AAOSwxeBZuQiF) could let you see pretty much what you'd ordinarily see. In theory. How much does a micro drone weigh? The lens is 15g.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I lowered rc rate to .88 and bumped super rate a tiny bit to get 650 but I can definitely see how lowering them even further will continue to help. With expo at .2 there's now a spot on the sticks where 'turn a little faster' and 'flip the gently caress over' are extremely close.

I'm not going for full stunts yet, just looking for level flight around obstacles with increasing speed. I'm going to lower that super rate so I can use more of the stick without losing control and see how that does.

And yeah, horizon mode has been off after two batteries. Used it to get the feel for throttle and went into acro trainer, where I still am. I attempted to turn off acro trainer for a hot minute and picked up way too much horizontal speed, but maybe I can try again after lowering those rates waaaaaay down.

If you're starting out, dont be afraid to crank up the expo and lowering the rates. Once you start flying faster, you'll find that you'll need to increase the rates in order to get necessary response.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I inherited four umarked, shrink-wrapped ESC's. I assume they're generic-rear end ATMEGA clones of something.

How do I figure out what they're rated for, amperage-wise?

The only PCB marking I can see is "4N11O8A2", which hasn't yielded any results.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does the other side have anything?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just recently got into FPV and picked up an Emax Babyhawk R a few months ago and I'm just now getting to the point where I feel like I'm not constantly in danger of destroying it as soon as I nudge a stick, even in Oklahoma level winds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4jKaa-HpE&t=78s

Also, Tinyhawks are way too much fun for the price and size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB5bFT7wl-Q

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
1S whoops are the shiiiiit.

But, I've been spending more time with 6/7" props on my 7" sized quad. It doesn't have a proper gopro mount because it's a racer style canopy so it wiggles a lot, but you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IORNee2bjeA

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Does the other side have anything?

A heatsink hiding what I assume are transistors (or the like):

Uninformative side-angle shot:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm guessing those are the weakest link. Couldn't discern any markings in the photo, though.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Dammit. I'm still new to this hobby and I'm already wanting to modify my Babyhawk and add the 3 inch arms and props so I can carry my gopro session. Yay spending more money.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
LAANC will be available to recreational flyers on July 23rd. You're limited to the posted ceilings though, no way to request outside of that (you'll need a 107 for flying in a 0' grid for instance)

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Alternative pants posted:

Dammit. I'm still new to this hobby and I'm already wanting to modify my Babyhawk and add the 3 inch arms and props so I can carry my gopro session. Yay spending more money.

3" on BH-R works great. My advice as someone with a lot of broken babbyhawks: give the gopro a try if it's cheap and easy, but dont spend money trying to put a session on a babyhawk just get a hawk 5. All the stores do 15% off on every major holiday, including the 4th, so it'll be easy to get one at/near $200. A babyhawk with a session could do a lot of cool work if setup well but it'll be harder to fly and offer a narrower performance envelope, etc.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

3" on BH-R works great. My advice as someone with a lot of broken babbyhawks: give the gopro a try if it's cheap and easy, but dont spend money trying to put a session on a babyhawk just get a hawk 5. All the stores do 15% off on every major holiday, including the 4th, so it'll be easy to get one at/near $200. A babyhawk with a session could do a lot of cool work if setup well but it'll be harder to fly and offer a narrower performance envelope, etc.

I’ll look into it, as well as at replacing the fpv cam and vtx with either a caddx or foxeer. Something that has a DVR onboard.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So I kinda want to get into FPV after looking into it recently, but I also want to make some sweet cash to fund this hobby by selling aerial footage. I've got my 107 cert so no worries on the commercial front. It would mostly be real estate shots, but there's lots of forestry in my area so that may be an avenue too.

Is there any crossover between the FPV tech and photography/video drones? It seems like nah-- if I want to do image capture, I should get a Mavic or similar. And then I'd need a separate controller, googles, and platform for FPV fun.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CloFan posted:

So I kinda want to get into FPV after looking into it recently, but I also want to make some sweet cash to fund this hobby by selling aerial footage. I've got my 107 cert so no worries on the commercial front. It would mostly be real estate shots, but there's lots of forestry in my area so that may be an avenue too.

Is there any crossover between the FPV tech and photography/video drones? It seems like nah-- if I want to do image capture, I should get a Mavic or similar. And then I'd need a separate controller, googles, and platform for FPV fun.

Yeah you'd be looking at a pretty big compromise if you wanted to do both right out of the gate and you either be unhappy with the controls, or unhappy with the footage you're creating. Look into a Mavic Air or a Mavic 2 for realtor footage. You plug your cellphone into the controller and that's how you see what the drone sees. It'll give you the perfectly smooth footage you want. These typically just "work" but you don't want to crash them. You basically fly themselves and you just nudge and suggest where you'd like it to go, it will always auto-level and be a smooth flying experience. All sorts of intelligent modes like clicking a spot on your screen, now the drone just does a perfect circle around that one spot. Or follows you.

If you want to make an acrobatic stunt type of drone you're looking at a Freestyle quad and you CAN buy them as pre-built kits sort of like a Mavic (Look up an Emax Hawk) but you'd be at a huge disadvantage because you haven't built it yourself and it'll be this mysterious collection of parts when it inevitably breaks. Because you will be crashing a LOT. Building a quad from parts helps you figure out what goes where, and that they really aren't super complicated electronically. But the controls here are fully manual, you're 100% in control. No fancy "follow me" or "circle this" modes, if you want to do that stuff, you need to put the quad in that position on your own. Hence the crashing

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I would guess that the only real application for FPV in an aerial photo rig is if you’re doing dual operator work, or some limited ducted micro with a GoPro type shots. Realtors probably don’t want either of those. You want a camera robot, which is a Mavic.

The only purpose of fpv is to gain the vicarious experience of flying. This enables floppy flippies and, in a small amount of professional use cases, proximity footage otherwise not achievable.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Shendrones Squirt or any of the emerging 'cinewhoop' category seem like the best crossover of FPV and videography to me. They're still not a substitute for the pure experience of flight like with a freestyle quad, but they fill a role in videography that can't be done with with a mavic/phantom.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pro loving tip when you start flying fpv: bring a spotter.

Goodbye tyro that dropped video at the worst time on my first fpv flight

This hobby sucks

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured-- limited to no crossover.

I was looking at the Emax offerings and will probably buy one of their prebuilt first. I guess what I was really asking was, could I buy a Hawk 5 and throw a 4K gopro on and call it good :v: But I imagine the footage wouldn't' be stable, and no live feed to be sure I'm capturing usable media.

I can see where the DJI offerings can be boring; I flew a Phantom 4 in training and yup, it just feels like training wheels. The real question is, how do I make money flying FPV drones?

e: If I decide against RTF, are there any recommended kits that come with everything you need to build it? Not including radio and goggles

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I would guess that the only real application for FPV in an aerial photo rig is if you’re doing dual operator work, or some limited ducted micro with a GoPro type shots. Realtors probably don’t want either of those. You want a camera robot, which is a Mavic.

The only purpose of fpv is to gain the vicarious experience of flying. This enables floppy flippies and, in a small amount of professional use cases, proximity footage otherwise not achievable.

There's also this type of commercial work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SldJIisWFmE

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bwn1OyZLvE

Good luck breaking into that work though!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slash posted:

Good luck becoming good enough to perform that work!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CloFan posted:

I was looking at the Emax offerings and will probably buy one of their prebuilt first. I guess what I was really asking was, could I buy a Hawk 5 and throw a 4K gopro on and call it good :v: But I imagine the footage wouldn't' be stable, and no live feed to be sure I'm capturing usable media.

I can see where the DJI offerings can be boring; I flew a Phantom 4 in training and yup, it just feels like training wheels. The real question is, how do I make money flying FPV drones?

e: If I decide against RTF, are there any recommended kits that come with everything you need to build it? Not including radio and goggles

Oh man if you put the time into it and really figure out what to tune in the software to smooth your motors and resonance out, you can get VERY smooth, basically on par with gimbal footage just from a gopro strapped on with foam or a 3D printed mount. The "trick" if there is one, is to use ND filters which reduces the look of the shakes and lets you get away with a lot more vibrations before it makes the video look bad. These days just an ND filter and stock Betaflight settings can get you very good footage with fresh motors and props. Fresh props really matter for good video. Some people don't need any crutches though, their rigs just fly nice because they made them fly that way.

That's before you turn on GoPro Hypersmooth which works really drat well on a freestyle FPV quadcopter. Better than any EIS I've ever seen. And there's also ReelSteady GO which takes the gopro gyro metadata/.THM(?) files and uses that to stabilize your footage

https://www.reelsteady.com/pages/go-details

Never used it personally though but there are probably youtube reviews

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Slash posted:

There's also this type of commercial work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SldJIisWFmE

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bwn1OyZLvE

That’s what I meant by proximity work, and yea there are a handful of guys on earth who get to make their living with that but it is not gonna work for a dude trying to pick up some extra cash on the side.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

CloFan posted:

You're pretty unlikely to make any meaningful cash in this hobby anyway, there's always some 20 year old kid whose parents bought him a phantom 3 willing to do it for $50 less than you.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm going to apply to be Metallica's PIC

https://youtu.be/HmyJh8qtrXc

insta
Jan 28, 2009

xsf421 posted:

You're pretty unlikely to make any meaningful cash in this hobby anyway, there's always some 20 year old kid whose parents bought him a phantom 3 willing to do it for $50 less than you.

See also: 3D printing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The issue is more that people won't take any considerable price demands seriously, because to them it's just a silly hobby, and try to bug you into doing them a favor. For free. And even if you can get it through their skulls that there's gear and time involved, that doesn't mean much. Ask any semi-professional photographer about exposure (and I don't mean the kind that puts lights on your film/sensor).