Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A tale of two Gaetz

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1144359016778387456

Pretty bad, I won't lie, but his attempt at being a vanguard against the threat of lactose-based beverages being hurled at him and other fascists has been undermined by everyone paying attention to the real news:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1144657718537576448
(note the timestamps of the two tweets, I had to search for a while past all the "Matt Gaetz officially under investigation" tweets to find the one about him charging the Milkshake Grenadier)

turns out blowing off interview requests with house panels still occasionally has repercussions.

EDIT: dogtax

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DandyLion posted:

Black as night, black as pitch. Blacker than the foulest witch.

The foulest witch is almost definitely a white person, based on the demographic distribution of foulness both in the United States and worldwide. Also almost definitely a woman, but only because most of the male-identified foul spellcasters call themselves warlocks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i want to use you as nuclear reactor shielding

A stunning retort.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ogmius815 posted:

Like, I first heard “Dems will win everything if they just be as leftist as possible! Red state voters really just want leftist policies but don’t have the choice of voting for that because of those no good DINOs” back in like 2006 on Daily Kos. I believed it then because I was a dumb teenager, but it was just as wrong then as now.

Oh for sure, remember Obama's tidal wave of an election rode on a message of "lets compromise and keep everything the same!"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Oh for sure, remember Obama's tidal wave of an election rode on a message of "lets compromise and keep everything the same!"

Surely you don't mean the Obama who turned out to be a centrist appeaser?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

turns out the difference between a competent and incompetent centrist is being able to sell yourself as trying to help people.

as opposed to lengthily explaining why the hour is just not convenient enough to try to stop killing children for bringing the latin taint to America in their blood

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1144644096495165454

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1144619034937348103

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1144606115856039936

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Willo567 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1144647638203195393

I hate this stupid mother loving hick so much

Hate.HATE

gotta make sure they know you hate all Iranians

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Munkeymon posted:

Turned out to be but campaigned on a message of hope and change. IE progress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ogmius815 posted:

A stunning retort.

what would be the point, if gamma radiation can't get through what hope for common sense is there

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Glad that "Ben Shapiro: liar or idiot?" appears to be catching on.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TedNesi/status/1144667239687294976

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Between Schumer and the Senate Dems and this, Pelosi losing her grip. Hopefully she’s gone

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Between Schumer and the Senate Dems and this, Pelosi losing her grip. Hopefully she’s gone

To be replaced by Steny Hoyer given our luck.

EDIT: If the HPC was 20 members larger I'd feel safe in the idea they could get someone progressive to replace Pelosi but right now i'm just thinking Hoyer or some other PSC/NDC moron will instead get the spot if Pelosi was to be ousted right this minute, and they are all categorically worse than she is, and she's pretty bad right now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah. Who else is the option? Push for AOC?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angry_Ed posted:

EDIT: If the HPC was 20 members larger I'd feel safe in the idea they could get someone progressive to replace Pelosi but right now i'm just thinking Hoyer or some other PSC/NDC moron will instead get the spot if Pelosi was to be ousted right this minute.

Pretty much, yeah. Plus, it doesn't do anything to address the bigger problem of Schumer and the Senate Dems.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gatts posted:

Marianne

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gatts posted:

In theory, Barbara Lee.

In reality it would be Hoyer or Marcia Fudge.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gatts posted:

Barbara Lee, but I feel like a lot of people don't "get" what the Speaker's role is for the party members in the House.

Edit: to be more blatant, AOC wouldn't be very popular with this thread if she did the job properly but she definitely wouldn't be popular with the House members of she didn't.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1144669869360779265

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tibalt posted:

Barbara Lee, but I feel like a lot of people don't "get" what the Speaker's role is for the party members in the House.

Kindly explain so I can learn

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glad the book got thrown at him.

:byewhore:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

aww yisss

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Finally. I've been waiting all day for him to be sentenced.

Justice served. :byewhore:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So did he just show absolutely no remorse at all then?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Best news I’ve heard all day

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Trump will pardon him

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Trump will pardon him

He's still facing state charges, and I doubt Virginia will go easier on him than the feds did. Pardoning him will not save him.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

kidkissinger posted:

He (or his representation) tried, and failed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Well his lawyers argued that he was very remorseful and he had a mental illness/complicated childhood blah blah blah. But jailhouse phone calls proved he was not in the least bit remorseful and was mocking Heather Heyer's mother a few days before his lawyers argued that, much to his mother's chagrin.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
If someone uses that body language to talk down to me I immediately dismiss everything they're saying.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gatts posted:

Kindly explain so I can learn
A lot of the time, the Speaker is making decisions that aren't really for her to decide - she's representing the collective face of the caucus' decision. Take the border bill - Pelosi could have brought the House bill, but it seems that it didn't have the votes and (may) have failed. She could have refused to bring up the Senate bill, but that would have looked bad too. So she brought the Senate bill to a vote.

But maybe the Problem Solvers were bluffing, and wouldn't have actually spiked the bill! Maybe she should have forced them to say it on the record, but that's a great way to lose your Speakership- only the House members vote.

And she's compromising with both Schumer, McConnell, and Trump. Sure, you can send a gif bill up to McConnell and force him to kill it - Pelosi did this a lot. But "must pass" bills must pass, and that means putting together a compromise. Now her job is getting everyone on board for that lovely compromise.

And the whole time all of this is happening behind closed doors.

Edit: and while AOC would probably make different decisions, she'd still be facing the same choices.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Well his lawyers argued that he was very remorseful and he had a mental illness/complicated childhood blah blah blah. But jailhouse phone calls proved he was not in the least bit remorseful and was mocking Heather Heyer's mother a few days before his lawyers argued that, much to his mother's chagrin.

Are there any legal repercussions to being caught in a major lie like that, or do your lawyers have to be found knowingly lying and it's limited to how severe the judge wants to interpret the sentence? Because Zimmerman did something similar by trying to strategize over the prison phone with his wife in Spanish and I can't recall what came of it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mahoning posted:

:allears: oh I forgot about that. my_remorselessness.mp3

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

AP's twitter header feels a little tongue in cheek for this particular tweet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1144617812574576640

it really sucks there's no hell.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Are there any legal repercussions to being caught in a major lie like that, or do your lawyers have to be found knowingly lying and it's limited to how severe the judge wants to interpret the sentence? Because Zimmerman did something similar by trying to strategize over the prison phone with his wife in Spanish and I can't recall what came of it.

just lying isn't illegal. what zimmerman did was conspire with his wife to move money around prior to posting bail, and to shield his assets, which is its own crime. fields was just shooting his mouth off because he is a racist with anger problems and whoops turns out that's a terrible idea to do on a jail phone before your sentencing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol I just remembered when the Chuds tried forcing that NPC meme in real life. Are there still idiots doing that or did enough people not take the outrage bait so the Chuds dropped it?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Good. I hope he lives to be 95 and never has one single moment of anything resembling peace or happiness for the rest of his worthless existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here's a short little transcript of his call with his mother:
Fields called Heyer's mother "One of those anti-white communists."
“She lost her daughter,"
“It doesn’t loving matter, she’s a communist.”
“Stop talking like that”
“It isn’t up for questioning, she’s the enemy, Mother.”

And then his lawyers tried to argue that “No amount of punishment imposed on James can repair the damage he caused to dozens of innocent people. But this Court should find that retribution has limits."
And also: "no individual is wholly defined by their worst moments.”