Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Red Bones posted:

I know the motivation for the fash is just vindictiveness and racism, but it does still make me laugh that anyone would get into Nazism as a political ideology today. Like it went so well last time, within twelve years Germany was a smoking crater that spent the next fifty years split in half.

Maybe real fascism just has never been tried yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Paladinus posted:

Hitler was a leftist so this checks out.

Mussoliwho?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Fascism also had Willpower as an actual physical force that could change the universe, thus why you'd always win against superior odds because you had THE WILL and they didn't. They weren't even subtle, there's a reason the infamous propaganda film is called Triumph of the Will. If the Ratte has all those problems, it doesn't matter because the pure Aryan WILLPOWER emanating from it's crew will make it invincible.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

.... That was why you ended up with Ratte being pushed. It didn't matter that the thing was completely insane idea a couple of really important people decided it was a good idea so the idea got worked on. Didn't matter that a 1,000 ton tank was one of the worst ideas possible for at least a dozen reasons.

That's certainly the case for the Maus, but I've seen claims the Ratte was a counter intel op with just enough design work to get spies to waste their time on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Another indicator is when you create a new password and you're told that it is too similar to an old password.

Complaining that it is identical is okay, but it shouldn't be able to figure out that it's one character off from a previous one.

It’s easy to store hashes of normalized or partial or otherwise transformed passwords for that check. FB accepts case-inverted passwords, and ones where the first character is forced to uppercase, and they don’t use cleartext passwords for that purpose.

To detect one character difference on 20-character passwords you have to store 19 additional hashes, which is extremely cheap.

E: oh hey, intervening pages

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's certainly the case for the Maus, but I've seen claims the Ratte was a counter intel op with just enough design work to get spies to waste their time on it.

That is giving quite a lot of confidence to the German Intelligence at time not being completely incompetent, filled to a brim with political appointments and "true believers".

At the latter parts of the war they were definitely the least competent of the major player intelligence services, and for example had not one reliable informant on England who was not double- or triple agent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't believe the puppetmaster excuse when it's people getting probed for trolling, why on earth would I believe it about Nazis building another cyclopean overengineered tank

E: Where's the milhist thread, I want to read about how Nazi uniforms were as overblown as the rest of their equipment

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Phy posted:

I don't believe the puppetmaster excuse when it's people getting probed for trolling, why on earth would I believe it about Nazis building another cyclopean overengineered tank

E: Where's the milhist thread, I want to read about how Nazi uniforms were as overblown as the rest of their equipment

Hilariously enough, Krupp actually backstabbed Grotte to develop their own enormous impossible land battleship, so I highly doubt it was a con.

Also I thought this was the military history thread, oops. Enjoy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Don Gato posted:

Fascism also had Willpower as an actual physical force that could change the universe, thus why you'd always win against superior odds because you had THE WILL and they didn't. They weren't even subtle, there's a reason the infamous propaganda film is called Triumph of the Will. If the Ratte has all those problems, it doesn't matter because the pure Aryan WILLPOWER emanating from it's crew will make it invincible.

Are you saying Nazis believed in The Secret?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Paladinus posted:

Now imagining a fascist using the argument that Germany wasn't the ideal country much like Russia wasn't the ideal country for communism.

Though part of me fears America might actually be the right country. :ohdear:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Do you mean Nazi officers? I cannot believe that millions of soldiers got tailored uniforms, especially as the war progressed and got worse.
Standards dropped as the war went on but at the start, yes.

Nazi uniforms were designed by a fashion designer to look good, and this came at the expense of them being pretty bad at being something for, you know, fighting and marching and doing general soldier stuff in.

Der Kyhe posted:

That is giving quite a lot of confidence to the German Intelligence at time not being completely incompetent, filled to a brim with political appointments and "true believers".

At the latter parts of the war they were definitely the least competent of the major player intelligence services, and for example had not one reliable informant on England who was not double- or triple agent.
One of their most trusted agents was some guy who was living in spain and checking out travel guides on england from the public library to get details to make his fake reports he completely made up seem more genuine. The dude had, IIRC, never even been to england, at least until he went to british intelligence and went "Hey I'm the head of a large and fictional spy ring can I work for you guys so we can REALLY gently caress with the germans?"

Phy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872282 over here, not sure where the most recent effortposts on nazi uniforms being terrible are

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phy posted:

Zereth posted:

not sure where the most recent effortposts on nazi uniforms being terrible are

Cessna made a good serious of them starting here.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Are you saying Nazis believed in The Secret?

Unironically, yes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

In just a few short years, Hitler took Germany from the most powerful nation on the continent to the fifth most powerful in Berlin.

But in 1932 there was only one Germany. In 1952 there were two, and they were protected with nuclear weapons!!!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

One of their most trusted agents was some guy who was living in spain and checking out travel guides on england from the public library to get details to make his fake reports he completely made up seem more genuine. The dude had, IIRC, never even been to england, at least until he went to british intelligence and went "Hey I'm the head of a large and fictional spy ring can I work for you guys so we can REALLY gently caress with the germans?"

That's this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_Garc%C3%ADa

Definitely one of the best stories of the war. The guy absolutely loving despised fascists and communists so he tried to be a spy for the allies. They turned him down a lot so he decided to be a spy on his own. He kept his cover by feeding the Nazis actual useful information but always a day or two late.

You know, like the Allies would do something that would screw up Axis plans and then the day after information would come from that guy about it. Funnily enough he actually was driving the British insane too because they had no idea just who the hell the guy even was despite how much he was demolishing the German intelligence. Eventually he got in touch with British intelligence and was like "yeah I know you guys turned me down like, a lot, but no hard feelings I just want to dick with the fascists."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

foobardog posted:

Though part of me fears America might actually be the right country. :ohdear:

Well, it is where Hitler got all his ideas from...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dataandpolitics/status/1144701345909239808

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

those negatives for bernie are pretty good, middle of the pack despite high name recognition and toxic 2016 history

i expected they would be a lot higher

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Kazak_Hstan posted:

those negatives for bernie are pretty good, middle of the pack despite high name recognition and toxic 2016 history

3rd lowest negatives and highest net

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i assume those charts are all from democratic voters though, right?

e: marianne williamson is pretty funny there, though. she started the night with a net positive approval and ended it with a net negative one :sweatdrop:

Lutha Mahtin has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Jun 29, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nenonen posted:

But in 1932 there was only one Germany. In 1952 there were two, and they were protected with nuclear weapons!!!

Dear god. If they continue doubling at this rate, then by the end of this century all other countries will be outnumbered by Germanies!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ariong posted:

Dear god. If they continue doubling at this rate, then by the end of this century all other countries will be outnumbered by Germanies!

Checks out.

2^((2101-1932)/20) ≈ 350

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ariong posted:

The dreaded Thousand-Reich Reich.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Mainly it shows that his history is 'toxic' only for a handful of people to begin with.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

The dreaded Thousand-Reich Reich.

:golfclap:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ariong posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the unification of germany was a mistake

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

this is the entire lesson of the 20th century and we still let them do it again, smh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

If every nation is a microstate, there can be no hegemony :catdrugs:

cf. the federation of the colonies

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

If every nation is a microstate, there can be no hegemony :catdrugs:

cf. the federation of the colonies

I really like the idea of the Europe of a Hundred Flags, going back to the old style of regional government and city states.

Just a shame its literally a Neo Nazi plot to dismantle multiculturalism

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Everyone gained in favorability except Biden, everyone gained in unfavorability except Sanders and Warren.
A good graph.

Also lol Williamson.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Krankenstyle posted:

:same:, and I’m even German

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Krankenstyle posted:

My girlfriend regularly corrects people who refer to her heritage as German.

She's Prussian. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jeebus bob posted:

Does she wake you up at 4AM each morning and order you to straighten out your bunk?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

"RAUS! RAUS! RAUS!"

"Good morning to you too honey"

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

jeebus bob posted:

Did her ancestors come over before German unification? I know regional identity is real strong in Germany, but all the Germans I know would call themselves German + (for example) Bavarian.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Red Bones posted:

Did her ancestors come over before German unification? I know regional identity is real strong in Germany, but all the Germans I know would call themselves German + (for example) Bavarian.

It's not so unusual. The "nationality" of one branch of my family (Bohemian) hasn't actually existed as an independent nation for something like four hundred years. If you called us Czech or Czechoslovakian, we probably wouldn't bother to correct you (since it honestly isn't that big a deal), but we don't use those names ourselves. And as for what country was actually in power when the ancestors came over to America, all I can say is we don't particularly consider ourselves descended from the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Red Bones posted:

They came over on the Nazi the Pilsner and the Schnitzel Maria

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

immortalyawn has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i assume those charts are all from democratic voters though, right?

e: marianne williamson is pretty funny there, though. she started the night with a net positive approval and ended it with a net negative one :sweatdrop:

Well I think it's more that she started the night at "who the gently caress is that?" and ended the night at "haha what, who the gently caress is that?"

Powered Descent posted:

It's not so unusual. The "nationality" of one branch of my family (Bohemian) hasn't actually existed as an independent nation for something like four hundred years. If you called us Czech or Czechoslovakian, we probably wouldn't bother to correct you (since it honestly isn't that big a deal), but we don't use those names ourselves. And as for what country was actually in power when the ancestors came over to America, all I can say is we don't particularly consider ourselves descended from the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The Austro-Hungarian Empire is a pretty good example of the distinction between a national identity and a cultural one. I'm pretty sure even when it existed literally nobody would have identified as "Austro-Hungarian".

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Jun 30, 2019