Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird cooch posted:

I'm pretty sure it was on the last page

Oh lol.

Dude that looks like a joke to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Oh lol.

I'm sure it was a joke but it's one of those jokes that I've heard enough times now that it's stopped being jokey.

Like half of the forums are a no-go zone unless you're 99%tile leftist unless you want to be hollered at. (Less so in this forum)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Are you suggesting you don't think of yourself as leftist? Time to send you to the camps.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Meh, don’t be so scared.

Forums posts aren’t really guillotines.

E: As a dude who rents out a property, I can state firsthand that my taxes are broken low and it’s an utter shame, but I guess I’ll keep renting it out.

Being an actual multiple property slumlord seems like too much work and lovely behavior to pursue though.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 28, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m enrolling in my local community colleges Cybersecurity program, and trying to learn all can about Security. Mind sharing your path in IT security?

A lot of hands on experience. 15 years doing Linux/Unix/AIX Systems Engineering (so a lot of Architecture design and engineering), 9 years of doing Red Team/Pen Testing (A lot of Social Engineering with some technical). I do a lot of Lab work out of my house, I run my own environment for learning/practicing and Honeypotting.

While I was in the USAF, I continued to do contracting for my IT stuff when I was off duty, helped pay the bills.

I've switched to full time Security stuff, Sys Engineering is kind of getting folded into DevOps stuff in most places, especially with companies going with cloud/hybrid cloud solutions and SaaS stuff. But Security finally took off, used to be it was largely a side gig for most Security guys who were full time Sys Admins/Sys Engineers for their day jobs.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

If I hate both sides equally does that make me centrist? Or anarchist?

Don't want to burn poo poo poo poo cos that seems like a pain in the rear end. More common sense and decency would be cool tho.

This post-reality future is so confusing.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mlmp08 posted:

Oh lol.

leftist shitposting is just that, shitposting.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bird cooch posted:

I'm sure it was a joke but it's one of those jokes that I've heard enough times now that it's stopped being jokey.

Like half of the forums are a no-go zone unless you're 99%tile leftist unless you want to be hollered at. (Less so in this forum)

Think you're getting mixed up with USPOL

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bird cooch posted:

Lol what

The majority of the forums aren't left enough

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Remember when we thought the circular firing squad was a joke and not the reality?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Considering the Right is currently actively dehumanizing children in camps, I guess welcome to the left, Comrade? Do not touch the spicy rocks.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

dubzee posted:

If I hate both sides equally does that make me centrist? Or anarchist?

Don't want to burn poo poo poo poo cos that seems like a pain in the rear end. More common sense and decency would be cool tho.

This post-reality future is so confusing.

If you mean neo-liberals and the right, then you might be a leftist.

If you mean leftist and the right, then you get a single "yikes" and a condolence for being a centrist.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m enrolling in my local community colleges Cybersecurity program, and trying to learn all can about Security. Mind sharing your path in IT security?

I'm a little past 40, and I've been in computers since 1994. I'm a senior infrastructure / devops thing now- not IT security straight up- but I have spent the past 25 years expanding my skillset. Making your own homelab with VMWare / Azure / AWS and then breaking it over, and over, and over again is great practice. Good security stems from an inquisitive mind. I know Reddit is sort of pissed on here, but /r/netsec/ has some good material.

CommieGIR sounds like a good bastion to pull from- open source is still too underrated IMO in the private sector.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Steezo posted:

Remember when we thought the circular firing squad was a joke and not the reality?

Jarmak posted:

Think you're getting mixed up with USPOL

I don't think I actually did, it all bleeds through.

Uspoll is a hot mess of people with nothing to lose screaming at everybody else to do something while not actually doing anything.

I used to think that I was pretty far to the left with my whole desire for higher tax rates on the super wealthy and extreme tax rates on the extreme wealth, a strong desire to cut the poo poo out of military spending and use it for repairing infrastructure and schooling and education and mental health Nationwide. But I guess that makes me only slightly better than a centrist these days but definitely a centrist in a lot of people's eyes.

But hey, live long enough and somebody will consider you a conservative.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

If you mean neo-liberals and the right, then you might be a leftist.

If you mean leftist and the right, then you get a single "yikes" and a condolence for being a centrist.

I'm a gun-toting redneck hippie that wants to buy booze Sunday morning on the way to my gay friends' wedding.

:smith:

Queer folks can still get hitched in NC. Dunno how long that privilege will last. Thank gently caress we don't have a GOP super majority here anymore, still dicey tho. Pat McCrory did generational damage to our state government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nullandvoid posted:

CommieGIR sounds like a good bastion to pull from- open source is still too underrated IMO in the private sector.

Its hilarious too, since nearly all the best Security tools are largely community driven or produced. What up, brother.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

bird cooch posted:

I used to think that I was pretty far to the left with my whole desire for higher tax rates on the super wealthy and extreme tax rates on the extreme wealth, a strong desire to cut the poo poo out of military spending and use it for repairing infrastructure and schooling and education and mental health Nationwide. But I guess that makes me only slightly better than a centrist these days but definitely a centrist in a lot of people's eyes.

In the actual spectrum, this makes you a centrist; Center-left, but a centrist none-the-less, because it's about reforming and regulating a capitalist, privatized market and for the dividends of this reform to maintain a welfare state for those victimized by capitalism.

US overton window is hosed to the right, so in the overton window, you're a far-left uberantifa.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of hands on experience. 15 years doing Linux/Unix/AIX Systems Engineering (so a lot of Architecture design and engineering), 9 years of doing Red Team/Pen Testing (A lot of Social Engineering with some technical). I do a lot of Lab work out of my house, I run my own environment for learning/practicing and Honeypotting.

I do mostly red team-esque currently but this entails a good understanding of defensive methods.

About 18 years doing computer stuff here. 7 years as a CTN in the Navy. A bunch of certs and a degree because I could TA it. The most important thing I did was 3 years at Geek Squad seeing every possible way malware could get in and break Windows. I learned more about how that OS works there than anywhere else. Hands on lab time and understanding is the only way.

Commie basically did the steps.
Cyber programs often try to skip steps and throw you into book learning and theory about best practices without the understanding on why. Then they give you some cert study guides and call it a day.

Learn how it works. You need need need a solid baseline understanding of computers, operating systems and networking to be really good at it.

Learn how to admin it. So you can understand what it should look like.

Learn how idiots break it. Only admin time can do this

Learn how to fix it. Google what the idiots break

Learn how other people break in. Netsec on Reddit is decent.

Break in yourself. Hackthebox/ Oscp is decent for this.

Find ways other people could break into your network.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey Shim why didnt you tell me you were visiting

https://trib.al/6I1QS3G

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Laranzu posted:

I do mostly red team-esque currently but this entails a good understanding of defensive methods.

About 18 years doing computer stuff here. 7 years as a CTN in the Navy. A bunch of certs and a degree because I could TA it. The most important thing I did was 3 years at Geek Squad seeing every possible way malware could get in and break Windows. I learned more about how that OS works there than anywhere else. Hands on lab time and understanding is the only way.

Commie basically did the steps.
Cyber programs often try to skip steps and throw you into book learning and theory about best practices without the understanding on why. Then they give you some cert study guides and call it a day.

Learn how it works. You need need need a solid baseline understanding of computers, operating systems and networking to be really good at it.

Learn how to admin it. So you can understand what it should look like.

Learn how idiots break it. Only admin time can do this

Learn how other people break in. Netsec on Reddit is decent.

Break in yourself. Hackthebox/ Oscp is decent for this.

Find ways other people could break into your network.

Yeah, my lab consists of, as of right now, 4 virtual networks, each with its own virtual infrastructure and virtual core: 1-2 AD DCs, 5 workstations, some barebones Servers and associated API, and 1-2 DB servers. Most of the Workstations and Servers are logging to ELK via secure plugins for documenting and providing vitals or timeline.

Networks are broken up virtual pfsense routers/firewalls, and are segregated from the active Home network via VLANs and firewall rules.

I'll fully admit I overdo it, but being able to do very malicious things, and 'misconfigure' core network devices to demonstrate/study flaws is invaluable and hard to replace.

For malware analysis, we have 2-3 Windows and Linux VMs plugged into Cuckoo Sandbox on another segregated network

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

CommieGIR posted:

Its hilarious too, since nearly all the best Security tools are largely community driven or produced. What up, brother.

:hf:

It's difficult to determine why this is so prevalent- past the obvious necrosis envenomed into executive management and board members by more terrible MBAs. It's some sort of odd hybrid of yes man / spending = value returned / witness my business dick girth as I purchase poo poo from Accenture. I've been pushing Nagios to anyone who will listen as an entry into open source; there's just no interest right now.

Laranzu posted:

I will add to this that upping your Google game has the power to make you appear godly at times. Despite the goofy as poo poo name, this book and its kind will help hone your hunting skills, giving you a framework of tools that can save you IMMENSE amounts of time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Easily half my job as a computer toucher is someone handing me some hardware or talking about whatever random-rear end program they've hosed up again and me having to Google "XYZShit is broke, this is the error message, what do?"

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

nullandvoid posted:

I'm a little past 40, and I've been in computers since 1994. I'm a senior infrastructure / devops thing now- not IT security straight up- but I have spent the past 25 years expanding my skillset. Making your own homelab with VMWare / Azure / AWS and then breaking it over, and over, and over again is great practice. Good security stems from an inquisitive mind. I know Reddit is sort of pissed on here, but /r/netsec/ has some good material.

This is good advice. I’m just under 40 but IT Sec focused for the last 15 years or so.

quote:

This is excellent advice. There’s little out there commercially that isn’t based on Open Source with some pretty front end and support you’re paying for.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bird cooch posted:

I don't think I actually did, it all bleeds through.

Uspoll is a hot mess of people with nothing to lose screaming at everybody else to do something while not actually doing anything.

But hey, live long enough and somebody will consider you a conservative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yeah I get that. I've just been around through the Ron Paul revolution and the libertarian brigades and the Trump supporters and everything else now it just seems to be eating itself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

nullandvoid posted:

:hf:

It's difficult to determine why this is so prevalent- past the obvious necrosis envenomed into executive management and board members by more terrible MBAs. It's some sort of odd hybrid of yes man / spending = value returned / witness my business dick girth as I purchase poo poo from Accenture. I've been pushing Nagios to anyone who will listen as an entry into open source; there's just no interest right now.

It's an O&M/support thing, honestly. A lot of companies would rather pay to be able to yell at a vendor when something breaks. And to be fair, I've been in plenty of heavy open-source environments where the neckbeard who set it all up never bothered to document anything before retiring, and it was way cheaper to rip it all out and replace it with commercial tools than to try to figure out how the gently caress it worked.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 28, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bird cooch posted:

Yeah I get that. I've just been around through the Ron Paul revolution and the libertarian brigades and the Trump supporters and everything else now it just seems to be eating itself.

Libertarians are not and have never been in power, so i have no idea how this is a positive news.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Libertarians are not and have never been in power, so i have no idea how this is a positive news.

I think they're talking about this forum, 10-15 years ago there was a point were libertarian politics were dominant in the way leftist politics are now.

There was a time when I felt pretty lefty in comparison to the rest of the forum, I'm still probably the most left-wing person I know in real life, but here I'm a bootlicking fascist. You know, a fascist who supports unions, UBI, has literally beaten the poo poo out of a Nazi (if we're counting loudmouth Trump supporters), and supports Warren and all her ideas that I can think of off the top of my head. :shrug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird cooch posted:

Ok. Somebody straighten me out here.

Republicans: give us more border money or we'll keep torturing these children.

SA: loving Democrats!!

Trump: cheats, breaks laws and norms, controls the sentate and everything else other than the house.

SA: loving Democrats!!!

Me: joins union after I get out, buys house

SA: get in line for the guillotine!!

What in the hell is going on here? The last one is straight up crabs in a bucket bullshit.

Republicans and their voters are Wilhelm II and the democratic party leadership is the british officer corps.

One of these problems is easier to fix.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Easily half my job as a computer toucher is someone handing me some hardware or talking about whatever random-rear end program they've hosed up again and me having to Google "XYZShit is broke, this is the error message, what do?"

I became the de facto IT guy at my last job (5 person office) based on my ability to google "what does pc load letter mean" or whatever

e: no I did not get a raise along with the added responsibilities

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

libertarians basically folded into teaparty and are now just republicans

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I wanna learn more about these leftist bullies, they seem cool and i wanna play video games with them.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

libertarians basically folded into teaparty and are now just republicans

thank you for pointing the obvious.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My wife got denied disability because she has diabetes. Pardon my extreme opinions about the state of healthcare in this country but suck my mother loving dick from the back.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My personal take is that I don't have a problem with people getting rich. What I'm against is allowing them to game the system to their own advantage, or not pay their fair share. Our failings in the latter have created a class of people with way way too much power. I'm also not against intervention or having a strong military. I'm against idiots who don't like diplomatic solutions and want to throw away lives for no particular reason.

Obviously this makes me far right in the views of some idiots.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
actually people getting rich is bad and all landlords, rich people, and the vast majority of politicians should be guillotined

the military should only be a defensive one, not the arm of the global imperialist empire we've built

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was way more right until they started Army retirement process. That's when I realized that if it weren't for the Army/VA and SSDI, I would be screwed, and it made me realize how luck I am.
I also had some very loving friends who held my habd and walked me through some political poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

As a teenager I got influenced a bunch by my know-it-all JROTC instructor, and my know-it-all uncle. Then I realized that they were both idiots who just liked to hear themselves talk. And the reality test of "their ideas", particularly in Iraq, didn't pan out. The last three years have radicalized me considerably.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jarmak posted:

I think they're talking about this forum, 10-15 years ago there was a point were libertarian politics were dominant in the way leftist politics are now.

Google ron paul.

Lol.

I used to be a much more conservative idiot until my roommate in Korea and I just sat and talked about poo poo over our 11 months together. Owe that dude a debt of gratitude for leading me away from lots of dumb poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Google ron paul.

Lol.

I used to be a much more conservative idiot until my roommate in Korea and I just sat and talked about poo poo over our 11 months together. Owe that dude a debt of gratitude for leading me away from lots of dumb poo poo.
Nowadays guys who are in your situation you were in have stupid hateful poo poo streamed directly to their brains and probably can't be reasoned with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FWIW at least some of the recent 'guillotine landlords' stuff coming out of D&D was brought on by finding the SA Landlord thread in Business where there actually were folks discussing the best way to kick out tenants so they could crank up the rent an extra $50 a month.