Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah :v: I've taken the advice in here and it seems good, I think the CV1 relied on movement to wake it up, although it's hit and miss still, it's opening up on its own still.

God damnit now I’m touching the poo.

No. When the proximity optical sensor inside the CV1, Rift S, Vive, Vive Pro, Index, Quest and pretty much every WMR device that I’m aware of is blocked it launches whatever VR home app to get things going. This is the explicit design purpose of this sensor.
Putting it on a mannequin head will do this because the sensor and software are designed to do this.
You can also trigger the proximity sensor with a piece of tape, an ill fitted vrcover, etc
Stop doing this and you won’t get this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I feel like putting a headset on a mannequin head would put more wear on the foam, compared to not doing that

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Does it? Oculus says they don’t work and there’s a bunch of people on the oculus forum trying different ones and none have worked.

I’m pretty sure we’ve heard from at least one person in this thread who’s using an adaptor successfully

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A lot of people get confused, there's passive and active adapters. Passive adapters plug into dual mode "DP++" ports, and don't actually do much of anything (just voltage level shifting), a video card with DP++ ports is outputting HDMI format video when the adapter is plugged in. Active adapters actually have the logic in them to convert from one format to the other. Passive adapters work (if your video card actually has DP++ ports), active ones don't

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

Can anyone with a rift S confirm, the new update 1.39 on the PTC is supposed to have massive improvements to controller tracking occlution and close in tracking to the headset. According the this place called the internet.

Seems pretty big, especially with the recent conversation on if theres anything they can even do to improve tracking close to the cameras.

I took a little break from work to test this out, and it is an AMAZING improvement.

I played around with moving my hands less than an inch from the headset and it maintained rock solid tracking. Even keeping my hand there for a few seconds it never locked positionally, just had seamless perfect tracking as I moved them away.

There were some dead spots up that close, but it seemed like more than 90% coverage up that close, and just a little further out no issues.

The downside:
Now my displayport disconnects and reconnects every 30 seconds even after a reboot. So I'm rolling back, which requires me to download 7 GBs from their slow rear end servers. :suicide:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Drill a hole into the brains of the mannequin head so there's nothing to trigger the sensor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tip posted:

download 7 GBs
How in the hell is the runtime not decoupled from the rest of the experience?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
game developers make web developers look like operating system developers

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3XcQtoja_Y

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Thats really impressive. I can't imagine what VR will be like when avatars can have that level of expressiveness in multiplayer spaces.

So now for gen 2 from oculus, based on their research reveals, we should be expecting 150fov, variable focus, doubled angular resolution, foveated rendered eye tracking, face tracking, hand tracking headset right? :v:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats really impressive. I can't imagine what VR will be like when avatars can have that level of expressiveness in multiplayer spaces.

So now for gen 2 from oculus, based on their research reveals, we should be expecting 150fov, variable focus, doubled angular resolution, foveated rendered eye tracking, face tracking, hand tracking headset right? :v:

No remember Oculus is never going to make another PCVR headset ever again :v:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wasn't expecting to see "Anne Frank House VR" in the Quest store. Hope they stop short of "The Holocaust Experience VR" but it's Facebook so they probably won't.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RandomBlue posted:

Wasn't expecting to see "Anne Frank House VR" in the Quest store. Hope they stop short of "The Holocaust Experience VR" but it's Facebook so they probably won't.

A future Holocaust Experience VR review:

"This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this game made me stop and evaluate. Putting it in VR made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you."

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hellsau posted:

A future Holocaust Experience VR review:

"This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this game made me stop and evaluate. Putting it in VR made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you."

Where'd you get your pre-release copy?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

RandomBlue posted:

Where'd you get your pre-release copy?

zucc's private vault

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is definitely a facebook face joke in there somewhere

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Hellsau posted:

zucc's private vault

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LMAO

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Played Space Pirate Trainer for the first time today. It's a lot of fun and kept me engaged for an hour. Could really use a tutorial though. I spent a couple games just trying to figure out how things work and I'm still not sure I understand all of them. Especially the weird lightning rod you can turn a shield into or how to use the turret really.

After that I checked out PokerstarsVR. Everyone was super friendly even though I confirmed that I still suck at poker. My chair was still out of the play space because of SPT though. Definitely going to bring my chair in if I play PokerstarsVR again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

rage-saq posted:

God damnit now I’m touching the poo.

No. When the proximity optical sensor inside the CV1, Rift S, Vive, Vive Pro, Index, Quest and pretty much every WMR device that I’m aware of is blocked it launches whatever VR home app to get things going. This is the explicit design purpose of this sensor.
Putting it on a mannequin head will do this because the sensor and software are designed to do this.
You can also trigger the proximity sensor with a piece of tape, an ill fitted vrcover, etc
Stop doing this and you won’t get this problem.

Yeah, no worries, I get it.
I wouldn't even really mention it but I've had this kind of stand pretty much since the DK1 days and never had this issue, the CV1 did not, ever, wake up on that stand, nor did the DK2 - I cannot really explain it more than that, apart from repeating - The CV1 never, ever did this.
It's all good, and I am happy to have fun poked at me if I deserve it - I can only be honest in my experience, that's all :)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

rage-saq posted:

SDE is determined by the pitch between the pixels and the number of subpixels per pixel. RGB displays have more subpixels per pixel and the index has a very advanced LCD with very fine pitch.
Optics help with clarity, fov, image quality (focus related aspects) and usable pixels.
I’ve read that the Vive and Vive pro have a lot of wasted pixels because the optics literally can’t deliver them to your eye.

No, I know, I just thought the Index is meant to have less sde than the rift s for some reason, and optics is the main difference between the two that could contribute. Also the o+ has some sort of diffusion filter that almost eliminates sde. Maybe indexes lenses do something vaguely similar to the image on the way from screen to eye?

Great to hear the trackings improved so much on the rift s. Still wondering about selling the index and picking up the cheaper option

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Wave 2 index orders are going out. My reservation email said August but it looks like I made the July batch.
:rock:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zeriel posted:

Wave 2 index orders are going out. My reservation email said August but it looks like I made the July batch.
:rock:
Based on some VR Discord, even people with September reservations are getting notified, while some with July ones are currently left out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good news: My Index reservation just came up.

Bad news: I lost my job the other week. We are fine and will continue to be so, but shelling out the better part of a grand for a new toy wouldn’t be a smart thing to do. I should have just reserved the knucks alone instead of getting the headset too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a job you can do in VR, problem solved

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve actually worked in conjunction with a few Fortune 500s doing enterprise VR implementations in the course of my “real” job. There’s some super interesting stuff out there, but the chickens are coming home to roost there. Same reason that you don’t see many blockchain specific developers anymore. The fad had passed for many.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, I was hoping I had more time to get ready for it. Guess I'll have to move some things around.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My August reserve hasn't come up yet *crosses fingers*

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Jarmak posted:

My August reserve hasn't come up yet *crosses fingers*

August 31 reservation here, purchase is now available for me, and now paid for!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ijii posted:

:f5:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rustic has some really loving fun songs to play in Beat Saber god drat I may never get up to Expert+ but some of these Expert songs are crazy hard and it's awesome when I get through them.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I should note, the day we were able to start reserving, I only clicked the reserve button once, and that was that. I know many people, went into steam multiple times and hit the reserve button multiple times which probably knocked them back further into the queue. So I wonder for those who think they had a July or August reserve might have screwed up their queue with something like that.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want an Index so bad but it's hard to swallow the price when the Rift S looks great and works so well. If the Rift S somehow had optional external tracking It would be bang on perfect for me.

To console myself I bought a T300 RS and stand because Project Cars 2 is cheap on Steam right now so why not :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meat Fortress is now live in H3VR, is pretty authentic to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYoH824PP0

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I missed my Index delivery today, so I'm going to be waiting around all day tomorrow waiting for it to get here. Really annoying.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I missed my Index delivery today, so I'm going to be waiting around all day tomorrow waiting for it to get here. Really annoying.

Why not have them hold it at the local distribution center and you can just pick it up at your leisure?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ijii posted:

Same! I wish I'd known, I'm just finishing a vacation from work and I would have waited til after the Index arrived if I'd known it was going to show up before late August.

So the Index order gives you some crazy high amount of max points or something in the Steam Summer Sale. Is there a way to convert it into Steam bucks easily? I still have no real idea what's going on with the summer sale game, but there's a $5 off coupon for 15,000 points, and I have like $40 worth of "max points."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

Meat Fortress is now live in H3VR, is pretty authentic to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYoH824PP0

Does h3vr have any multiplayer or is it all just the hot dog bots?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does h3vr have any multiplayer or is it all just the hot dog bots?

All bots. There is no multiplayer in H3VR because of the way it fundamentally abstracts and simulates stuff. There's a lot of heavy calculation work under the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phenotype posted:

Same! I wish I'd known, I'm just finishing a vacation from work and I would have waited til after the Index arrived if I'd known it was going to show up before late August.

So the Index order gives you some crazy high amount of max points or something in the Steam Summer Sale. Is there a way to convert it into Steam bucks easily? I still have no real idea what's going on with the summer sale game, but there's a $5 off coupon for 15,000 points, and I have like $40 worth of "max points."

Find out what games you have a lot of achievements in. Open one up, leave. Come back in 30 minutes and open another one. For each game you "play" for at least 30 minutes, you get a bunch of whatever the second kind of points is called. Click buttons to convert it to the third kind of points. or just wait until July 7th, when all your capacity is converted to tokens and you can get discounts or badges or whatever.