Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

I feel like I played a demo of this in the past and it was different

The previous one was 3 different scenarios, so you probably did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I ask this periodically, did Routine ever amount to anything or did that game die a quiet death?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xenomrph posted:

I ask this periodically, did Routine ever amount to anything or did that game die a quiet death?

Last I heard they were fading into obscurity and blaming Alien Isolation

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

For all we know it's still being worked on, but there hasn't been an update since... 2017 I think. So yeah, the game's dead.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I randomly played a neat indie horror survival game at E3 called Undying, by a Chinese-Australian team, that could turn out to be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLOjq-djqc8

The show floor demo had an infection timer at the top of the screen which was always slowly ticking down, which made everything feel urgent.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It was a one eye, multi-thorned flying crimson people eater.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Wanderer posted:

I randomly played a neat indie horror survival game at E3 called Undying, by a Chinese-Australian team, that could turn out to be cool.

The show floor demo had an infection timer at the top of the screen which was always slowly ticking down, which made everything feel urgent.

Mombie... protec...

Also wondering if you can go through Carrion only killing hostiles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Mombie... protec...

Also wondering if you can go through Carrion only killing hostiles.

I hope it has a bunch of sequels if it does well - like Carrion Camping, Carrion up the Khyber etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wanderer posted:

Teaching your son how to gun down zombies and sharpen a fire axe before you go :unsmith: Hopefully it doesn't double down on "PS your son was also infected the whole time".

Well, unless there is NG+ where you then teach them how to be the best zombie in town.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So since no one is posting I'm gonna guess Sinking City is either extremely good or real bad. Almost certainly the latter.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
59% in a local Euro magazine. That's pretty drat harsh by video game journalist standards, so presumably the real rating is "the discs would do the world more good in a landfill."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s a Eurojank open world RPG so the reviews are extreme on both ends in the same way Deadly Premonition had 2s and 10s from major outlets. Same deal with Pathalogic 2.

So yeah, if the idea of an Eldritch horror L.A. Noire sounds appealing to you then you’ll probably really like it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

weekly font posted:

So since no one is posting I'm gonna guess Sinking City is either extremely good or real bad. Almost certainly the latter.

I know the contrarian jackass at one of my outlets really liked it, but Neil at Bloody Disgusting did too, so it's probably like al-azad's saying.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

weekly font posted:

Feedback I have from reviews and friends is it's real bad but also really likeable. An interesting mess to wade through where you can see the parallel dimension ghost of the good game it could have been if you have eyes inside your brain.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have a bunch of Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games. They are solid, middle budget games with some clever puzzles. I've been looking forward to Sinking City since I found out they were doing it. Will probably buy it on sale no matter the reviews.

For reference, I also own the new Black Mirror (remake of the old game, unrelated to the TV show) and it was awful dogshit from almost every perspective I could look at it. Except for the fact that it's like The Room of video games and hilarious. It is currently $32.99 (Canadian) on Steam or $53.49 on PSN. I paid $10 on a PSN sale and feel I might have been ripped off.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Section Z posted:

Teaching your son how to gun down zombies and sharpen a fire axe before you go :unsmith: Hopefully it doesn't double down on "PS your son was also infected the whole time".

Well, unless there is NG+ where you then teach them how to be the best zombie in town.

I'm guessing the endgame will be "you have turned, now your son has to kill you before you kill him. How well you taught him before turning determines if he survives or you become a human-munching tag team in undeath"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Didn't The Walking Dead already do that one?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
True but the kid becomes a zombie slaying machine no matter what your choices

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

weekly font posted:

My understanding is that it’s kinda buggy and not a good game in the main but the story and some of the investigation gimmicks are interesting. Basically a lot of the stuff that seems really clever and novel during hour one have aggravated reviewers by hour two. I’m waiting for it to get a bunch of patches and hit like $19 on sale, so that if it’s charms bounce off me it won’t be too much of a loss

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chev posted:

Feedback I have from reviews and friends is it's real bad but also really likeable. An interesting mess to wade through where you can see the parallel dimension ghost of the good game it could have been if you have eyes inside your brain.

This was Jim Sterling's review too. I love that kinda jank but I think I'll wait for a sale/Steam.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

My main question about the game is it literal fishmen and other lovecraftian entities walking around with other people acknowledging this, or is the protagonist just being "delusional"? The former sounds a lot more interesting than the latter.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The beginning of Dark Corners of the Earth was interesting in that sort of way. You were just wandering around Innsmouth and there was no particular explanation as to why the townpeople were all creepy half-monsters who yelled at you to go away with voices that sounded like they had been gargling rocks, it was just creepy as poo poo.

Then the rest of the game couldn't keep up, but that sums up Dark Corners, really.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DeathChicken posted:

The beginning of Dark Corners of the Earth was interesting in that sort of way. You were just wandering around Innsmouth and there was no particular explanation as to why the townpeople were all creepy half-monsters who yelled at you to go away with voices that sounded like they had been gargling rocks, it was just creepy as poo poo.

Then the rest of the game couldn't keep up, but that sums up Dark Corners, really.

Well that game gets kind of ridiculous, because the protagonist decided to spend the night in a hotel despite knowing its run by a psychopathic murder. He already paid for a room, and he is going to use it goddammit it!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well that game gets kind of ridiculous, because the protagonist decided to spend the night in a hotel despite knowing its run by a psychopathic murder. He already paid for a room, and he is going to use it goddammit it!

It's been a while since I played it, but didn't they do the Shadow over Innsmouth thing where the bus "broke down" so he had to stay the night? Admittedly, if I'd seen what he'd seen, I'd loving walk back to Newburyport, gently caress that poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fish Woman In A Night Dress redeems all the bad parts of Dark Corners for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My main question about the game is it literal fishmen and other lovecraftian entities walking around with other people acknowledging this, or is the protagonist just being "delusional"? The former sounds a lot more interesting than the latter.

The former. The setting is kind of like Night Vale where the supernatural clearly exists but people are resolved to live a civilized life. It also has a Silent Hill 2 like power where it attracts tortured souls including the refugees of Innsmouth whom a lot of people hate because they’re “blessed by the sea.”

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Every lovecraft game only remembering CoC and Innsmouth as stories are why these games stink and why games that are inspired by H.P. vs directly sourced are better (Eternal Darkness, Sunless S__, Darkest Dungeon, Night in the Woods, etc.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would like to see a game based on The Color out of Space someday. You could create all kinds of novel and color-based visual gameplay mechanics for a game like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

weekly font posted:

Sunless S__,

Why this?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lots of tentacles, space monster and cthonic horrors. With the heavy Victorian era-critical elements added to it and the deep undertones of an uncaring racial over-class that defines all laws and frowns on miscegenation of any sort, the Lovecraftian tones are definitely very noticeable. Played heavily for humor and maybe a bit too far up its own butt, but you can certainly draw some clear parallels.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

weekly font posted:

Every lovecraft game only remembering CoC and Innsmouth as stories are why these games stink and why games that are inspired by H.P. vs directly sourced are better (Eternal Darkness, Sunless S__, Darkest Dungeon, Night in the Woods, etc.)

It definitely draws inspiration from other Lovecraft stories like Arthur Jermyn, Dream Cycle series, and the first person you meet is a weirdo in a yellow suit.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The Last Door is very cool for that reason. It's a Hastur story without any of the fishpeople or poo poo. It really nails the mood of a cosmic horror story without feeling like a straight retread of a prexisting narrative.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Glukeose posted:

The Last Door is very cool for that reason. It's a Hastur story without any of the fishpeople or poo poo. It really nails the mood of a cosmic horror story without feeling like a straight retread of a prexisting narrative.

I think you just sold me on that game

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I don't disagree. I like Innsmouth just fine but drat am I sick of Cthulu and fish people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cardiovorax posted:

Lots of tentacles, space monster and cthonic horrors. With the heavy Victorian era-critical elements added to it and the deep undertones of an uncaring racial over-class that defines all laws and frowns on miscegenation of any sort, the Lovecraftian tones are definitely very noticeable. Played heavily for humor and maybe a bit too far up its own butt, but you can certainly draw some clear parallels.

I get the weird tales connection but not why he blanked out the name

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's where the sinking city is kinda interesting, though, everyone in the city is sick of those degenerate fish people and their darn squid cult. Well, all respectable people that matter and have proper opinions about how things ought to be and how strangers should stay out of the city if you catch my meaning, stranger. Everything was much better before the fish people came. And the smell! So that's kind of an interesting angle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sunless Skies/Sunless Seas

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What Len said. It's just because there's two of them now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Sinking City is definitely unique because its focus is very much on building its setting as opposed to telling a linear narrative. It feels closer to Pathologic in this way (although not as meandering and free roaming) in that the game wants to sell you on its city lost to time and space. People are trying to live their lives motivated by the politics and prejudices you might expect from a New England post-industrial poor town, it's just amplified by monsters and nightmares.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sunless Sea/Sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Chev posted:

That's where the sinking city is kinda interesting, though, everyone in the city is sick of those degenerate fish people and their darn squid cult. Well, all respectable people that matter and have proper opinions about how things ought to be and how strangers should stay out of the city if you catch my meaning, stranger. Everything was much better before the fish people came. And the smell! So that's kind of an interesting angle.

Wasn't that kind of the original point of the deep ones in the original story except in that the reader was supposed to agree that yes, miscegenation with outsiders is indeed horrifying and awful. Also doesn't it kind of undermine the message if the fish people actually ARE a hostile, corrupting force?