Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ariong posted:

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting from those screenshots. Except: holy drat that dude has a tony head.

I guess he does look like a Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting from those screenshots. Except: holy drat that dude has a tony head.

Imagine you're playing an MMO with a four hour grind (Ignore the numbers, I'm not looking for perfect accuracy, just an example) for items and then once you finish it you get to a new town and find the things are so drat plentiful they might as well be growing on trees. People are using them for bricks and roof tiles, they're loving everywhere.

"dammit, I got loving hustled"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine you're playing an MMO with a four hour grind (Ignore the numbers, I'm not looking for perfect accuracy, just an example) for items and then once you finish it you get to a new town and find the things are so drat plentiful they might as well be growing on trees. People are using them for bricks and roof tiles, they're loving everywhere.

Fallout 1's plot initally hinged on the search for a water purifying chip to replace the broken one in your home vault. Fallout 2 had a vault where every single crate was crammed to the brim with them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Phy posted:

Fallout 1's plot initally hinged on the search for a water purifying chip to replace the broken one in your home vault. Fallout 2 had a vault where every single crate was crammed to the brim with them.

What’s even better is that this vault was sent crates full of the last game’s macguffin, when what they really wanted was this game’s macguffin. They didn’t get that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Might be a repeat when I last played, but the incidental dialogue in the logistics game Idle Apocalypse is charming and worth a smirk in the sort of game that wouldn't generally do it.

As you unearth the ancient and long-ago banished "Idols" to cause the titular apocalypse, you find that all of them have become rather... different. One has become a couch potato, one has become a peace-and-love hippy, one is really into his rock band, that sort of thing. If that's not amusing enough, someone casually explains why: what happens when you're an ancient evil Idol banished from the world?

You get bored.

They aren't Idols anymore... they are idles.

I know its silly, especially for a mobile game whose core gameplay is "okay I need to make 500 of {this}, I need to build {building} so that I have the materials to make {this}, but it's worth a chuckle.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Spalec posted:

On the HL2 chat, the poison headcrabs are so well designed. That horrible screech and the fact they (almost) kill you immediately fills me with this immediate, intense panic. Valve said somewhere (possibly on the commentary) they found most players would hear their chittering and immediately find and murder them with extreme prejudice.

I'll happily waste an impact grenade or rocket on murdering those little bastards.

That we'll probably never get the story finished makes me sad. Those games were pretty cool.

IIRC, poison headcrabs flat out cannot kill you on their own and they're rarely part of large-scale combat encounters where you could easily get taken out in a one-two hit.

If they were used poorly or too frequently, they could have made the game an unplayable slog but instead they just gave PTSD to an entire generation of shooter fans.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how tight all the sidequests are in God of War, all of Brok and Sindri's quests tie into the Mad Dwarf King in some way as both of the people who kept the parts that create the armour were messed with by him (fafnir was taken along with the other dwarves that turned into dragons to be farmed for his fury, I think the hammer guy was killed doing experiments for the king maybe with the soul eaters, I can't really remember how he ties in), you spend the whole game fighting zombies because hel is full because the Valyrie Queen drove the other Valkyries mad, all the ghosts died when jormungandr dammed the lake with his coils raising the water level, the spares like the dude wanting you to break the thor statue are there to confirm that the Aesir are garbage, and basically everything is relevant to the main quest in some way, or ties into another sidequest that is. There are no quests that elicit a "So your farm was taken over by bandits, so what?" reaction because none of the quests are irrelevant. Even the dwarf king storyline which seems irrelevant ties into Odin's obsession with prophecy and shows how easily it can destroy you.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

buddhist nudist posted:

IIRC, poison headcrabs flat out cannot kill you on their own and they're rarely part of large-scale combat encounters where you could easily get taken out in a one-two hit.

If they were used poorly or too frequently, they could have made the game an unplayable slog but instead they just gave PTSD to an entire generation of shooter fans.

Iirc, one update actually gave them the ability to kill you since the jump attack got changed to also do a single point of damage, so if you somehow got jumped by two in quick succession they could kill you.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I didn’t notice this for a long time but in XCOM 2, on a suburban map, if you get the camera just right inside certain houses you can see that the framed pictures are clearly child’s crayon drawings of some of the enemies. My favorite is a sectoid walking a chryssalid on a leash, with a happy-face sun. :kimchi:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Valkyries side quest is more consequential than the main

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

EmmyOk posted:

The Valkyries side quest is more consequential than the main

The final god of war game is going to be Kratos realising that Pandora's Box really did gently caress up every pantheon known to exist and it'll just be him singing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPrr4wmnJ4

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Katana Zero, your only options to attack at range are a bunch of one-use throwing weapons you pick up off the ground.

In the final level, you enter a room and there's a gun waiting for you. Unlike every other item, it floats above a pedestal and glows!

Then when you use it, you just throw it and the barrel embeds itself in the guy's skull. It's a one-use weapon just like all the others.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've killed 5 of the valkyries so far and find their designs amusing because they remind me of Archangel from X-Men. I'm kind of hoping that in the sequel, there is a boss fight with Odin in Valhalla and every time someone dies, the Valkyries come for them, and plop them right back down again. Just "Well... it's the rules. He died in battle, he goes to valhalla." The series ends in a stalemate with the entire pantheon (Aesir and Vanir) being in the dining hall with Kratos, Atreus, Jormungandr, Fenrir, Hel and Brok and sindri and everyone's just like "Welp, that was a mess... What now?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm kind of hoping that in the sequel, there is a boss fight with Odin in Valhalla and every time someone dies, the Valkyries come for them, and plop them right back down again. Just "Well... it's the rules. He died in battle, he goes to valhalla."

They tried that in Too Human and it's not as funny as it sounds.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

haveblue posted:

They tried that in Too Human and it's not as funny as it sounds.

Too Human was a dumpster fire that took good ideas and made them bad, and made bad ideas even worse. You really can't use it as a metric for whether something might be good.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

PubicMice posted:

Too Human was a dumpster fire that took good ideas and made them bad, and made bad ideas even worse. You really can't use it as a metric for whether something might be good.

It was the only game I had when I didn't have internet for like 6 months in my first apartment and buddy, it's awful. gently caress Silicon Knights lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
In Doom 2016, there are tons of little animations of doomguy's hands that are great and give him tons of character, but one of my favorites is when you find the Chainsaw. He picks it up, gives it a quick look-over, then throws up a hand like "the gently caress? oh well"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigGejqxuf8&t=265s

Probably wondering why there always seems to be chainsaws on Mars

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

In Doom 2016, there are tons of little animations of doomguy's hands that are great and give him tons of character, but one of my favorites is when you find the Chainsaw. He picks it up, gives it a quick look-over, then throws up a hand like "the gently caress? oh well"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigGejqxuf8&t=265s

My absolute favourite is when he pokes around the piping valve for a way to shut it off until the CEO dude mentions to be careful because without the valve they wont be able to use hell energy anymore, at which point Doomguy immediately puts his foot through it :allears: on subsequent valves, he immediately boots them without even pretending to turn it off safely.

Its genuinely amazing how much character they manage to give him considering you only ever see his arms

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

He should get in touch with Zak McKracken.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Danaru posted:

My absolute favourite is when he pokes around the piping valve for a way to shut it off until the CEO dude mentions to be careful because without the valve they wont be able to use hell energy anymore, at which point Doomguy immediately puts his foot through it :allears: on subsequent valves, he immediately boots them without even pretending to turn it off safely.

Its genuinely amazing how much character they manage to give him considering you only ever see his arms

:agreed: 100%

This video has all the argent filter moments, plus a brief but satisfying Berserk interlude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zUYxaflVE

Hirayuki posted:

He should get in touch with Zak McKracken.
he'd be better off hitting up the Maniac Mansion kids for their chainsaw

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

he'd be better off hitting up the Maniac Mansion kids for their chainsaw
They have the chainsaw, but Zak's got the fuel. On Mars.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Danaru posted:

When he gets the bfg some resident evil like lasers slice the platforms he’s standing on from under him. After he lands on his rear end the first thing he does is a quick glance to check the bfg is still in one piece

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
haha gently caress I forgot he was on mars

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
In Star Control 2 there's a race of sentient plants called the Supox. This is actually kind of a big deal as you don't tend to meet them early in the game and Star Control hadn't had a plant race before that.

When you meet them you can say something to the effect of "holy poo poo a talking plant that shouldn't even exist!" The Supox response is basically "yeah our scientists don't get it either. We pretty much shouldn't exist but, well, here we are."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I finally got to the current end of Hades (it's in Early Access, regularly updated) and I gotta say it's nice that, given that the Greek mythology would naturally invite some God of War comparisons despite the totally different genre, the default personality they chose to give the protagonist Zagreus is 'cheerfully polite, and understated'.

One of the bosses his someone that's basically his ex and they chat amiably before fighting. Strolling up to the shopkeeper he just says "Hey there old mate" even when he knows he'll just get moans and groans in response.

If you ever played it and then put it down then it's worth going back to now, I think it's a bit easier to progress and there's a decent amount of new stuff, including 'duo powers' that interact with each other if you have the favour of multiple gods.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing Uncharted 4 and Nate's brother made the same well joke that Nate made In the previous game. Dad jokes runs In the family it seems.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jul 5, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I read it as more of a "I've just been transported to an alternate universe and they have those loving things here too?!"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Psychonauts, there is a psychic power called clairvoyance which allows you to change your perspective from over Razputin’s shoulder to a first-person view from the eyes of any living thing. This power has only a few, niche practical uses, like using it to look through the eyes of a boss that can see in the dark when she cuts the lights. However, it is my favorite power because you can use it to look through the eyes of any living thing, from your fellow campers to the birds that land around the campsite sometimes to the little critters in people’s minds that act as fast travel points. What’s best about this is that you can see yourself through the eyes of your target, and every target has a unique thing they see Raz as.

Everyone sees Raz as something other than what he is, based on what they want/expect from him. The only unifying feature is that most of these interpretations feature Raz’s signature goggles in some way. Milla Vodello, the friendly but coddling camp counsellor, sees Raz as a baby wearing his hat and goggles. The fast travel bugs see Raz as simply a brown paper package waiting to be delivered, with the goggles secured to it among the twine and stamps. The censors in people’s minds see Raz as a germ-like rogue thought in need of stamping out, with his goggles taking the form of big bulging eyes. However, my favorite interpretation of Raz is one of the few that doesn’t feature his goggles in any way.

Ford Cruller used to be a Psychonaut (a kind of psychic secret agent that Raz wants to become), but a confrontation with an enemy psychic left his mind fractured. He takes on different personalities in different parts of the camp, and each one sees Raz differently. Chef Cruller sees Raz as just another hungry mouth to feed. Admiral Cruller sees Raz as a young sailor waiting to take the helm. However, there is one part of the camp, near an enormous deposit of psychoreactive metal, where his mind can stay in one piece and he can be himself. The real Cruller, Agent Cruller, is the only person who actually sees Raz as Raz. The only difference is that instead of his normal outfit, the Raz that Agent Cruller sees is wearing the outfit of a fully fledged Pyschonaut.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Jul 6, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Probably not a positive for most people, but I appreciate the portable versions of LEGO games (3DS/Vita) often cut out a lot of the cutscene fluff. Things that don't add to the story. They try to keep important character development intact though. Shows they weren't just cutting things for the sake of meeting a space quota.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nova Drift is fantastic and well worth the money, but my favorite thing about it is how the game opens. Each run starts you floating in space with nothing to shoot for the first 10 or so seconds except asteroids. Turns out that's about the time it takes for a new player to get a grip on the controls.

It's a short, subtle way of easing new players into the game that is barely perceptible to an established player, and a beautiful piece of game design.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ariong posted:

In Psychonauts, there is a psychic power called clairvoyance which allows you to change your perspective from over Razputin’s shoulder to a first-person view from the eyes of any living thing. This power has only a few, niche practical uses, like using it to look through the eyes of a boss that can see in the dark when she cuts the lights. However, it is my favorite power because you can use it to look through the eyes of any living thing, from your fellow campers to the birds that land around the campsite sometimes to the little critters in people’s minds that act as fast travel points. What’s best about this is that you can see yourself through the eyes of your target, and every target has a unique thing they see Raz as.

Everyone sees Raz as something other than what he is, based on what they want/expect from him. The only unifying feature is that most of these interpretations feature Raz’s signature goggles in some way. Milla Vodello, the friendly but coddling camp counsellor, sees Raz as a baby wearing his hat and goggles. The fast travel bugs see Raz as simply a brown paper package waiting to be delivered, with the goggles secured to it among the twine and stamps. The censors in people’s minds see Raz as a germ-like rogue thought in need of stamping out, with his goggles taking the form of big bulging eyes. However, my favorite interpretation of Raz is one of the few that doesn’t feature his goggles in any way.

Ford Cruller used to be a Psychonaut (a kind of psychic secret agent that Raz wants to become), but a confrontation with an enemy psychic left his mind fractured. He takes on different personalities in different parts of the camp, and each one sees Raz differently. Chef Cruller sees Raz as just another hungry mouth to feed. Admiral Cruller sees Raz as a young sailor waiting to take the helm. However, there is one part of the camp, near an enormous deposit of psychoreactive metal, where his mind can stay in one piece and he can be himself. The real Cruller, Agent Cruller, is the only person who actually sees Raz as Raz. The only difference is that instead of his normal outfit, the Raz that Agent Cruller sees is wearing the outfit of a fully fledged Pyschonaut.

Also everyone has a unique reaction to the Turtle you can carry around - even the people who you have to backtrack the entire game to get to.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also everyone has a unique reaction to the Turtle you can carry around - even the people who you have to backtrack the entire game to get to.

It’s worth noting that there’s no reason to take Mr Pokeylope outside of the mission area, and it’s a bit of a pain in the rear end to go from that point and back. They put in all of those extra interactions just to do it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Similarly, most characters in Hollow Knight have unique dialogue when you talk to them while wearing the dung badge.

Mostly they just tell you that you loving reek

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I read it as more of a "I've just been transported to an alternate universe and they have those loving things here too?!"

yeah I'm pretty sure this is it. They're not exactly hard to get in the hundreds even when they're "current" content.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That and your character knows that, other dimension or not, Rowena is gonna get in on this racket somehow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bussamove posted:

That and your character knows that, other dimension or not, Rowena is gonna get in on this racket somehow.

Funny thing about that, which ties into my favorite thing about Shadowbringers: it massively underplays a part of its setting that, in any other game, would be the whole central focus of the expansion. Tentatively not spoiling this, because I'm only reporting on what I've seen super early in, and not on things the game makes a big deal of.

The First is an alternate dimension, and if you start paying attention to things you can tell it's set in an alternate version of the same part of the world that the base FFXIV takes place in (it's not subtle if you check, the world map's the same). But while other games would go nuts with making this an Earth-2 situation and basing as much as possible on twisted takes on things you know, Shadowbringers never calls attention to it. The first two places you go to are based on two of the starting regions, but it's only the geography that makes this clear, nobody actually says anything.

And you'd expect the major characters of the expansion, given that, to be clearly people you know. But they're not! The only figures they do that with are minor characters in side-content, whose doubles continue to be minor presences. Rowena is the only one I've definitely recognized, and I might've seen the head of the Alchemist's Guild. That's all, they leave it all to be there for extra reading and focus the main story on something way more unique, and it's great.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jul 8, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Funny thing about that, which ties into my favorite thing about Shadowbringers: it massively underplays a part of its setting that, in any other game, would be the whole central focus of the expansion. Tentatively not spoiling this, because I'm only reporting on what I've seen super early in, and not on things the game makes a big deal of.

The First is an alternate dimension, and if you start paying attention to things you can tell it's set in an alternate version of the same part of the world that the base FFXIV takes place in (it's not subtle if you check, the world map's the same). But while other games would go nuts with making this an Earth-2 situation and basing as much as possible on twisted takes on things you know, Shadowbringers never calls attention to it. The first two places you go to are based on two of the starting regions, but it's only the geography that makes this clear, nobody actually says anything.

And you'd expect the major characters of the expansion, given that, to be clearly people you know. But they're not! The only figures they do that with are minor characters in side-content, whose doubles continue to be minor presences. Rowena is the only one I've definitely recognized, and I might've seen the head of the Alchemist's Guild. That's all, they leave it all to be there for extra reading and focus the main story on something way more unique, and it's great.

I know very little about Final Fantasy XIV apart from it having a Monster Hunter Crossover. This leads me to say that the best payoff for this scenario would be a Silver Rathalos wherever the normal Rathalos would be, and the Silver Rathalos just takes off into the sky completely out of reach and occasionally shoots fireballs at you for half an hour. I guess sometimes he might land. Maybe.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Planet Coaster, as the name would suggest, has building rollercoasters as one of its main appeals. One thing that I really appreciate was the fact that you can view heat maps of your Coaster for a wide variety of elements such as fear, speed, and gforces (both lateral and vertical).

It saved me a ton of time on the Coaster I was making last night as I could pinpoint exactly where my guests were experiencing too much fear without me trying to figure out which of my loops or twists were at fault.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

guests were experiencing too much fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

moosecow333 posted:

Planet Coaster, as the name would suggest, has building rollercoasters as one of its main appeals. One thing that I really appreciate was the fact that you can view heat maps of your Coaster for a wide variety of elements such as fear, speed, and gforces (both lateral and vertical).

It saved me a ton of time on the Coaster I was making last night as I could pinpoint exactly where my guests were experiencing too much fear without me trying to figure out which of my loops or twists were at fault.

If Roller Coaster Tycoon has taught me anything, it's that the minimum G-Force for a good roller coaster starts at an average of 20G's of acceleration.