Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

New Fragged Empires kickstarter is up for three expansions for the main game, Fragged Aeternum, and Fragged Empires. $31 for all three in PDF and it looks like a ton of overall content.

I wrote a bunch of stuff for the Greyburgh Market book so I can confirm that one's really good :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

I wrote a bunch of stuff for the Greyburgh Market book so I can confirm that one's really good :toot:

The Australian tabletop mafia strikes again.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Meatbag Esq. posted:

What's the story with Middara? Is it just a tiddy adventure or is it secretly better than the BGG ratings let on? It's not often I check kickstarter and there's a new game hovering around 2m out of the blue.

jesus thats a lot of anime

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

jesus thats a lot of anime

Seriously that kickstarter page just keeps going.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

New Fragged Empires kickstarter is up for three expansions for the main game, Fragged Aeternum, and Fragged Empires. $31 for all three in PDF and it looks like a ton of overall content.

How is Fragged Empires as a game? In mostly interested in Aeturnum, but would like opinions on everything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GrandpaPants posted:

How is Fragged Empires as a game? In mostly interested in Aeturnum, but would like opinions on everything.

How do you feel about heavily grid-focused terrain stuff and in-depth weapons design?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Fragged Empire is basically Firaxis X-Com: The RPG.

It's primarily a combat/tactics-focused game, with a lot of emphasis on ranged attacks and cover. Stuff that isn't related to either personal combat, space combat, or the downtime system through which you buy, upgrade, and research things that make you better at combat is pretty freeform.

It has relatively little role differentiation compared to something like D&D; everyone is assumed to be baseline-level competent at shooting guns and character customization is mostly about differences in range, damage output, fancy rider effects, etc. There are control effects and forced movement and lots of neat little tricks you can do but there aren't Leaders, Defenders, Strikers, etc.

One of its major strong points is its gear customization -- your character's resources are abstracted, so instead of spending credits or whatever you have X resources that are allocated to your gun, your armor, and utility items; if you want different gear, you just allocate them to something else instead. Gaining resources is a parallel progression track like leveling up and as a general rule you don't lose them.

Building a perfect gun is something that can be incredibly complex, but can also be as simple as picking a base weapon + a variation (for example, Chemical Thrower + Napalm makes a flamethrower) and calling it a day. This is often just as effective, if somewhat less specialized, compared to someone who added a million side grade modifications -- sometimes more so if they chose their trade-offs poorly.

The rules are notoriously difficult to learn from scratch since the book is laid out like a reference manual rather than a teaching aid, but once you get over the initial hump looking things up is so fast and easy that I ultimately consider this an upside in the long run, if only just. Be prepared to teach people during play if you're GMing it, though.

There are a couple of places where the rules are either ambiguous or unnecessarily complicated -- Fragged Empire itself was the developer's first game and a lot of the subsequent settings/rulesets (Fragged Aeternum, Fragged Kingdom, Fragged Seas, etc.) are more streamlined and consistent. The biggest one I can think of is that the rules for regaining and spending Fate (your per-session free reroll points, basically) are vague to the point of being incomplete. They're an outlier though, for the most part the rules are extremely tight once you grasp the format / how they're presented.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fragged Empire is basically Firaxis X-Com: The RPG.

Sold. What's a good module (because I'm lazy) and are there any essential supplements?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ettin posted:

Definitely gonna get this, hell yeah.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GrandpaPants posted:

Sold. What's a good module (because I'm lazy) and are there any essential supplements?

I don't use modules, so I can't help you there.

Fragged Empire has a couple of supplements that are quite nice (Protagonist Archive for more PC options, Antagonist Archive as a Monster Manual equivalent) but they aren't necessarily compatible with the other ruleset books, and I don't think any of the other rulesets have their own supplements.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't use modules, so I can't help you there.

Fragged Empire has a couple of supplements that are quite nice (Protagonist Archive for more PC options, Antagonist Archive as a Monster Manual equivalent) but they aren't necessarily compatible with the other ruleset books, and I don't think any of the other rulesets have their own supplements.

The other rulesets largely don't have their own supplements, save for perhaps Fragged Empire Hacked and there's a Fragged Kingdoms D&D Races conversion thing to let you play as elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and humans or whatever, which I don't know why you'd pick that over the awesome setting that they already provide.

I guess except if you wanted to run D&D style campaigns in a better system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I did a review of it a while ago.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Yo I just wanted to say this F&F review encouraged me to go in on the all PDF tier. So uh, thanks?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'd like to point out that the Armoury books for the lines can be very helpful. They're lists of examples of weapons and armor that are all book-legal and have a line of descriptive text. This is really useful when you want to pick a gun off-the-shelf or when you're handing out guns to drones/turrets/minions.

Something worth pointing out, because this is not explicitly explained in the main book:
When you get access to magic (psionics, whatever), there's two effects.
First, you can use magic spells/psionic powers/whatever as weapons, sometimes. Like, a Fireball spell would be effectively an invisible hand-grenade with a limited number of uses that you always have. However you got access to magic will tell you what you can purchase.
Second, you can use your ordinary trained skills to perform feats of magic- for example, with the Athletics skill, you can lift heavy objects with your body. With Athletics skill and magic, you can lift heavy objects with your *mind*. There's no cost to this any more than there's a cost to using your skills without magic.This is all very freeform.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

quote:

Due to recent tariffs on board games imported from China, prices for printing and importing the Krilling Field have more than tripled. With the amount of money that we raised, it simply isn't enough to get the job done.

So, we are returning your money to you, plain and simple

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/614954837/the-krilling-field-a-nautical-exploration-card-gam/posts/2548964

Curious how many projects we'll see have to take drastic actions due to tarriffs over the coming months.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

M a x posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/614954837/the-krilling-field-a-nautical-exploration-card-gam/posts/2548964

Curious how many projects we'll see have to take drastic actions due to tarriffs over the coming months.

Thats from Golden Bell, who is known to be horrible. Prices are going up, but tariffs are not making the increasing production costs, and they are only increasing the import costs by 25% based on the manufacturing price. This is all assuming the tariffs go through. Granted, these prices get magnified up the supply chain, but costs to publisher and importer are certainly not tripling.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Thats from Golden Bell, who is known to be horrible. Prices are going up, but tariffs are not making the increasing production costs, and they are only increasing the import costs by 25% based on the manufacturing price. This is all assuming the tariffs go through. Granted, these prices get magnified up the supply chain, but costs to publisher and importer are certainly not tripling.

It's really hard to tell how tariffs work from google. it's a 25% charge on the value of the goods, but who decides the value? If it's 25% on MSRP then it could possibly triple the actual cost to the importer.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's really hard to tell how tariffs work from google. it's a 25% charge on the value of the goods, but who decides the value? If it's 25% on MSRP then it could possibly triple the actual cost to the importer.

It's based on the cost to manufacture, I think.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My games just arrived from China last monday via slow boat, I went over this pretty well with my freight company since I was worried about it in case the tariffs went into effect before my shipment cleared customs.

The 25% is on manufactured cost, not MSRP. It also does not include freight cost.

So if you were spending $10 per unit to make a game in China before (taking shipping out of the equation for simplicity), it now costs you $12.50 per unit instead. This isn't negligible to kickstarter campaigns, especially if they funded before the tariffs were even a twinkle in Trump's eye, but it is a far cry from tripling their costs.

The problem is more for retail IMO. The way retail pricing works for most pricing is 5x landed cost. In the above example, that game would have had a pre-tariff MSRP of $50. This is so the publisher can sell the game to distributor and make a profit, the distributor can sell it to the retailer and still make a profit, and then the retailer can sell it to the consumer and still make a profit. If that model stays consistent, that game with a previous MSRP of $50 now went to an MSRP of $62.50.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you like Golden Bell posts, the latest Unbroken update is a thing.

I'm glad I should hopefully be getting my copy in the UK in a few months if they ever find a boat, but they're still having trouble with the rest of Europe, and also with those evil backers who keep reporting them to the USPS or something.

Edit: Think of how just recently a famous YouTuber committed suicide for the VERY SAME THING that many “supporters” are doing.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am incredibly worried about the March of the Ants KS, re: Tariffs.

It already looked like a huge discount on the finished product. I hope they have enough cushion to deal; if not, I would be fine pitching in some extra dough.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If you like Golden Bell posts, the latest Unbroken update is a thing.

I'm glad I should hopefully be getting my copy in the UK in a few months if they ever find a boat, but they're still having trouble with the rest of Europe, and also with those evil backers who keep reporting them to the USPS or something.

Edit: Think of how just recently a famous YouTuber committed suicide for the VERY SAME THING that many “supporters” are doing.

I sympathize with their situation, though. If you look past their poor responses to criticism, at the heart of it all, they're plainly screwed and are trying to make the best of it and get the games to backers by any means necessary, yet people won't stop dogpiling on them for what boils down to a lack of tact and professionalism. I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure either without wanting to say gently caress off to the assholes who clearly only care about disrupting and destroying the company instead of doing anything to help the situation.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What are y'alls experience with requesting refunds from kickstarters?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

What are y'alls experience with requesting refunds from kickstarters?
It's going to be heavily dependent on the project creator, and the reason you're requesting a refund.

If it's a matter of the project being stalled forever, dead, etc. you will almost certainly not get your money back.

If it's a strong project that is going in a direction you don't like, the odds are much better.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chubbs posted:

I sympathize with their situation, though. If you look past their poor responses to criticism, at the heart of it all, they're plainly screwed and are trying to make the best of it and get the games to backers by any means necessary, yet people won't stop dogpiling on them for what boils down to a lack of tact and professionalism. I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure either without wanting to say gently caress off to the assholes who clearly only care about disrupting and destroying the company instead of doing anything to help the situation.
Okay, but... their solution to "we don't have the money to ship all of these games" was "commit mail fraud." Board games are not supposed to be sent via media mail.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

It's going to be heavily dependent on the project creator, and the reason you're requesting a refund.

If it's a matter of the project being stalled forever, dead, etc. you will almost certainly not get your money back.

If it's a strong project that is going in a direction you don't like, the odds are much better.

Really? Why is that? Refunds are heavily dependant on the good will of the creator or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Entirely dependent on it, unless perhaps the courts get involved. You’re best thinking of a pledge as an unrestricted gift to the creator, along with which you have expressed your preferences about what gift you might like should such things ever come to exist. If not, well, good try anyway!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Entirely dependent on it, unless perhaps the courts get involved. You’re best thinking of a pledge as an unrestricted gift to the creator, along with which you have expressed your preferences about what gift you might like should such things ever come to exist. If not, well, good try anyway!

Not what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully my credit card will instead consider it a large amount of money paid towards a table that never loving showed up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Really? Why is that? Refunds are heavily dependant on the good will of the creator or something?
Yeah, entirely dependent unless you can show it's an actual scam, get the state AG involved, whatever. And then it's a legal process, so still, good luck.

Depending on the project status, the creator will probably (and honestly) tell you, "sorry, that money has been spent already on making the project." I mean, they raised the money to make the thing, it's sensible they'd have already spent the money on making the thing.

Kickstarter is awesome, but it's extremely caveat emptor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully my credit card will instead consider it a large amount of money paid towards a table that never loving showed up.

I'm curious if they'd allow a chargeback for a failed kickstarter, let us know how it goes. Keep in mind kickstarter will probably blacklist you if the chargeback actually makes it to them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did you read the terms before pledging? What was your expectation after you read the bold “Kickstarter is not a store” or whatever during the payment flow?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Be super careful about chargebacks. I would not recommend them for a kickstarter, even one that poo poo the bed.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Okay, but... their solution to "we don't have the money to ship all of these games" was "commit mail fraud." Board games are not supposed to be sent via media mail.

Well my understanding is that they weren't trying to pull a fast one on the postal service and got special clearance for it before attempting it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Golden Bell has a bad rep from a bunch of projects. I don't know of any they have participated in that went off without either drama or legit issues. If anyone finds one post it up.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

If kickstarter blacklists me over a $650 chargeback, so be it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kickstarter isn't a store; you very specifically and explicitly did not enter into a transaction of exchanging your money for goods or services; you pledged some money to fund a project, with a hopeful reward at the end of it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

If kickstarter blacklists me over a $650 chargeback, so be it.
I'm saying there may be actual legal consequences if you initiate a fraudulent chargeback, and kickstarter is probably not the best place to experiment around with it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

Kickstarter isn't a store; you very specifically and explicitly did not enter into a transaction of exchanging your money for goods or services; you pledged some money to fund a project, with a hopeful reward at the end of it.

:nyoron:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Yo I just wanted to say this F&F review encouraged me to go in on the all PDF tier. So uh, thanks?

You're welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

I'm saying there may be actual legal consequences if you initiate a fraudulent chargeback, and kickstarter is probably not the best place to experiment around with it.

It wouldn’t be fraudulent. I’m not going to lie to my card company. If they tell me to pound sand because of TOS or whatever then I’ll look into alternatives.