Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lencho posted:

Knock-offs are really hit or miss. The over sized Transformers masterpiece KOs I have seen are pretty amazing as well as the Datong DBZ figuarts bootlegs, but most, if not all of the Figma/Figuarts/MAFEX KOs are absolute garbage that fall apart as soon as you take them out of the box. Some Mezco ONE:12 and the 1000toys Hellboy bootlegs are apparently pretty decent for the price.

Datong doesn't even exist anymore, so their KOs are actually worth a bit now. It's sorta nuts. Bandai killed them just over a year ago, in that time their KO of original release Frieza went from $35 to like 60... I actually got mine for 35 and ended up selling it loose for 50 when I got a legit one.

The BSS Action figure discord (aka the Discord for this thread) has a bunch of links for decent KO stuff, but none of it is Figma or SHF because... yeah, there aren't any good ones anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think it's because it was the last war we had where there was an actual bad guy, plus it's not like any kinda licensing is needed for the uniforms or anything else.

This is mostly it here. It also helps that they are an actual uniformed army. The other options are the Japanese, which are sadly under represented in figures but I do understand why. Then it is various poor people in SE Asia or the Middle East. Making figures of brown people to fight against doesn't sit well just like fighting them in the first place.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lencho posted:

Don't think so. I don't know why (:thunk:), but every military figure/model collector is obsessed with nazis.

I was kidding about the watch list comment. It just seemed odd to have all these NECA and superhero figures, and BAM here's Nazi Barbie!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I spent a long time trying to find a sixth scale nazi flag to go with the bootleg movie Constantine I have (wanted to wrap the spear of destiny in it like the beginning of the movie) and had no luck whatsoever.

There's a shitton of figures and tanks and whatnot, but actual "build your own nazi" paraphernalia is kinda hard to find. I mean that in a good way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Did you have a 1/6 scale spear of destiny?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yup. Came with the figure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Selling a figure is one thing I guess. If you're selling 1/6 nazi flags what you're doing is... selling nazi flags.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

Selling a figure is one thing I guess. If you're selling 1/6 nazi flags what you're doing is... selling nazi flags.

I dunno about that. Like, if your eBay store is stocked with nothing but miniaturized Nazi paraphernalia then that’s one thing, but if you’re selling 1/6 scale replicas of WWII-era stuff from all sides of the war then that feels a lot different. Like sure you’ll probably know that some of your buyers are in fact Nazi fetishist nutjobs but your store kind of explicitly doesn’t cater directly to that market.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Djarum posted:

This is mostly it here. It also helps that they are an actual uniformed army. The other options are the Japanese, which are sadly under represented in figures but I do understand why. Then it is various poor people in SE Asia or the Middle East. Making figures of brown people to fight against doesn't sit well just like fighting them in the first place.

This is extremely optimistic and totally ignores the very real subtext that there are people that collect them because they're loving Nazis. Yes, they're also a great "bad guy" trope, but there's the added bonus of literal Nazis wanting figures of their heroic Aryan murderers to put on their shelves, and if these companies can make extra sales servicing that niche who the gently caress cares because yay capitalism, morality and ethics are only valuable as long as they don't hinder the great profit engine!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lencho posted:

Don't think so. I don't know why (:thunk:), but every military figure/model collector is obsessed with nazis.

Probably because their outfits always looked really god drat good.

...but mostly because they're Nazis.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fuzz posted:

This is extremely optimistic and totally ignores the very real subtext that there are people that collect them because they're loving Nazis. Yes, they're also a great "bad guy" trope, but there's the added bonus of literal Nazis wanting figures of their heroic Aryan murderers to put on their shelves, and if these companies can make extra sales servicing that niche who the gently caress cares because yay capitalism, morality and ethics are only valuable as long as they don't hinder the great profit engine!

I do wonder how many Nazi collectors are buying 1/12 scale figures of them. In my limited experience in dealing with Nazis and White Supremacists they are the type to not want to have dolls and toys around. I am sure there are exceptions as there are for everything but I don't think there is a huge crossover of Nazis and 1/12 figure collectors.

The military figure collectors are just obsessive nerds to an insane degree. You ever want to see the two worst fanbases in anything it is military figure/model and model railroad people. They will complain about practically everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly 1/6 people in general are really insane. Look it doesn’t matter how much it costs, it can’t be perfect. It just can’t.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly 1/6 people in general are really insane. Look it doesn’t matter how much it costs, it can’t be perfect. It just can’t.

The Hot Toys mk15 Iron Man figure is perfect. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Grant DaNasty posted:

So I just ran across this. :stare:

https://www.empiretoyshop.com/collections/hottest/products/in-stock-1-6-scale-very-cool-female-ss-officer-action-figure-vcf-2036

I ordered a Mythic Legion from this site a couple months ago. Am I on a watch list now?

She looks like a Nazi She Devil from one of those weird Men’s Magazines from back in the day.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

The Hot Toys mk15 Iron Man figure is perfect. :colbert:

Hey I think a lot of HT are perfect, but ask a snobby rear end nerd and they’d say the eyes are .5cm off or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Hey I think a lot of HT are perfect, but ask a snobby rear end nerd and they’d say the eyes are .5cm off or whatever.

Some snobby rear end nerds are objectively wrong :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I agree.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Grant DaNasty posted:

So I just ran across this. :stare:

https://www.empiretoyshop.com/collections/hottest/products/in-stock-1-6-scale-very-cool-female-ss-officer-action-figure-vcf-2036

I ordered a Mythic Legion from this site a couple months ago. Am I on a watch list now?

so are they gonna release Ilsa in her Siberian, Harem Keeper and Wicked Warden costumes to complete the set.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilsa,_She_Wolf_of_the_SS

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah stay away from action figure forums. I go just for the pictures

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Djarum posted:

In my limited experience in dealing with Nazis and White Supremacists they are the type to not want to have dolls and toys around.

How much experience do you have with said shitbirds in regards to them collecting toys?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kokomo Toys has a closet in their store room where they keep the "questionable" products.

People really like making GIJoe scale Nazis.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I forgot I had the Hans Landa figure from Inglorious Basterds. He's a good character so I'm fine with it, but yeah.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I dunno, butt solely based on Facebook groups, action figure collecting is full of racist, sexist, shitbirds, the vast majority of whom didn't go any further than graduate high school.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You could really say that about most niche groups and you'd probably be right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like goons.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, butt solely based on Facebook groups, action figure collecting is full of racist, sexist, shitbirds, the vast majority of whom didn't go any further than graduate high school.

This frustrates me so much. Most people in here aren’t into Figuarts, preferring Marvel Legends, or Mezco, or Neca, etc. so I go to those FB groups to talk toys. And it’s always so disheartening.

In toy news, the new Goku (this one has BLUE hair) is releasing 2 weeks early. July 13 instead of 31. Glad I got my preorder in.

Also, this guy releases in January:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

s.i.r.e. posted:

How much experience do you have with said shitbirds in regards to them collecting toys?

I sadly lived in Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky for far longer than I wanted to. It is hard to not run into them in that part of the country.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
There are quite a few shops and flea market dealers here who specialize in 1:6 scale military stuff , I went and checked them out a few times as I collect 12 inch Joes and thought they might have some. Nope. But what they did have was all kinds of nazi and al qaeda action figure regalia. 12 inch figures of Bin Laden which were pretty common to find here for a while Sadaam Hussein too, republican guards, generic Mujhadin grunts, etc. I think they sold more or less every kind of nazi uniform and gear that I know of down to like specific boots and belts, plus relevant guns, and such. I never saw any flags but it's also illegal to fly foreign flags in Singapore so they might have been scared to sell them if they are a thing.

There were knock off lego ISIS Minifigures for sale here and Malaysia for a while too:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/isis-themed-counterfeit-lego-sets-being-sold-in-singapore

I haven't gottten any hot toys since the die cast Mk 3 as once they started doing Star Wars I became afraid I'd end up mortgaging my house or something. So I keep a safe distance from them in hopes I can remain in control. I've had to talk myself out of Vader and Boba a few times because despite what I tell myself at that moment, I know it won't stop there.

Nanigans posted:

Also, this guy releases in January:

Vicious really looks great, think I'm even more excited to get him then I was about Spike, I've got a feeling Julia's going to be next. The local release date for him is November, so hopefully they'll be a bit earlier where ever you are too.

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 28, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lencho posted:

Also Nazis are the closest thing that we have to real life comic book villains so that helps.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Who's doing those bebop figures? That vicious looks amazing.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Who's doing those bebop figures? That vicious looks amazing.

They are from Bandai's S.H. Figuarts line.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

poo poo, need to order that Vicious.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Fuzz posted:

The BSS Action figure discord (aka the Discord for this thread)

Link? I've never had a reason to sign up for Discord but I'll sign up for this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So two weeks back I bought three MOTU Classics from Thinkgeek's 25% off sale. Ended up being like $38 after sales and markdowns. I realized yesterday that I can not afford them. Because I put together a full want list of every figure, vehicle and playset from the line that I wanted, what was available where and hit $4300.

LoL, so those are getting returned.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You just spend twice that on detolfs and you're gonna buckle on a giant figure collection?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't even have a grand into my detolfs.

Also I have no place that Greyskull or Snake Mountain will fit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

epsilon posted:

Link? I've never had a reason to sign up for Discord but I'll sign up for this

Thought it had been put in the OP.

https://discord.gg/SgPGZkJ

We're generally pretty good about sharing news and pre-order listing reminders and stuff.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

So two weeks back I bought three MOTU Classics from Thinkgeek's 25% off sale. Ended up being like $38 after sales and markdowns. I realized yesterday that I can not afford them. Because I put together a full want list of every figure, vehicle and playset from the line that I wanted, what was available where and hit $4300.

LoL, so those are getting returned.

I got bad news for you fam, thinkgeek's website has said "no returns" for a while now since they're shutting it all down.

i mean you could give it a shot anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

I got bad news for you fam, thinkgeek's website has said "no returns" for a while now since they're shutting it all down.

i mean you could give it a shot anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

I bought them in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I bought them in store.
Oh whoops, carry on then. :cheers: