Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't watch Lost but I respect what it did for TV, especially network TV. I just want prestige dramas again, dammit. The main character doesn't have to be a white man, you know!

I have a theory that Louie-likes are the reason why we don't see Sopranos-style dramas anymore. For some people, it scratches both the itch for serious, character-driven stories and comedy, since it has jokes here and there. Most of them manage to do neither things well. I suppose with the first season of Insecure, the first half did comedy well and the second half did drama well, but it didn't do both at the same time. The two seasons that came after are a complete waste of time, and I won't bother watching the upcoming fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Watch Atlanta

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

littleorv posted:

Watch Atlanta
I'll make note of that. I've heard it's good, but with critically acclaimed shows these days, you can never tell if you're going into something that's entertaining or something that's woke pandering.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Alaois posted:

FACT OR MYTH?: It is currently the Golden Age of Television

MYTH: The Prisoner, starring Patrick McGoohan, was not created or aired in the current era of television.

The short miniseries starring magneto and Jesus was really good tho!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

New DefunctTV/History of the Muppets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Agx492B4FY

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

FACT OR MYTH?: It is currently the Golden Age of Television

MYTH: The Prisoner, starring Patrick McGoohan, was not created or aired in the current era of television.

The second to last episode is especially crazy. It's absurdist theater.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The mini romance comedy trailer moment in Lindsay's new video is very good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like Game of Thrones will have zero staying power and just fade from the zeitgeist, versus something like Mad Men or Breaking Bad that people still talk about years later. For a show that was so popular while on the air, it seems like a lot of the interest in it was in participatory stuff like watching it together with a huge crowd or doing twitter jokes, or just talking about it at work on Monday morning.

Those kids named Khaleesi are going to be so mad at their parents, probably for several reasons. Were there ever kids named Don or Heisenberg?

i feel like the show will stick around if only because the first half or so was pretty great and ok up until the last seasons. there are too many people like my GF for it to fade away completely.

great stuff as always.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

get that OUT of my face posted:

I didn't watch Lost but I respect what it did for TV, especially network TV. I just want prestige dramas again, dammit.
Better Call Saul is still going strong

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

best show on tv.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Game of Thrones is going to be around in the public mind for longer than you think. Even HBO is creatively bankrupt, they're going to have at least a couple of spinoff series.

You mean like Caprica? :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean like Caprica? :v:

pretty much. honestly i think the core show will be pretty fondly remembered apart from the endgame. i am more disappointed by westworld season 2.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I posted this before but it was part of big info dump of content, and since we're talking about GOT again welp.

A friends take on the ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCW7EzlIZk0

She's very open to feedback and would appreciate tips and criticism as this is her first video review.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Better Call Saul is still going strong

man i really should finally watch season 4

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GoT always sucked and the only good ending would've been if the ice undead or whatever scoured the setting.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
GoT went to poo poo after they ran out of material to adopt and it was clear Benioff and Weiss are idiot hacks.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Pvzz21g5E

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

rudecyrus posted:

GoT went to poo poo after they ran out of material to adopt and it was clear Benioff and Weiss are idiot hacks.

They were still going off of GRRM's notes so all the major plot beats were on him.

Problem is they only filmed those notes and nothing else which removed all nuance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rudecyrus posted:

they didn't run out of material they got lazy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They somehow managed to make Dorne even worse than the books.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I didn't watch Lost but I respect what it did for TV, especially network TV. I just want prestige dramas again, dammit. The main character doesn't have to be a white man, you know!

I have a theory that Louie-likes are the reason why we don't see Sopranos-style dramas anymore. For some people, it scratches both the itch for serious, character-driven stories and comedy, since it has jokes here and there. Most of them manage to do neither things well. I suppose with the first season of Insecure, the first half did comedy well and the second half did drama well, but it didn't do both at the same time. The two seasons that came after are a complete waste of time, and I won't bother watching the upcoming fourth.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel does both drama and comedy well, though leans more toward comedy (and it's great for it).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

I posted this before but it was part of big info dump of content, and since we're talking about GOT again welp.

A friends take on the ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCW7EzlIZk0

She's very open to feedback and would appreciate tips and criticism as this is her first video review.

This was a rare good youtube algorithm recommendation that I got last week or the week before. It’s a very good use of pop culture as a way in to talking about things that matter. Tell your friend that a stranger likes it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I'll make note of that. I've heard it's good, but with critically acclaimed shows these days, you can never tell if you're going into something that's entertaining or something that's woke pandering.

It's a Donald Glover show that he pitched as "Twin Peaks but with rappers." The pilot's a little weak in the middle, so maybe at least give it until the second episode if it doesn't click right away. It's something really cool with beautiful shots, insightful stuff and really funny moments. It's probably one of the few truly unique shows on TV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Chuck must have heard we were all talking about Evangelion recently: SF Debris looks (at long last) at Rebuild 3.33 aka the one where it all goes tits up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's more coincidence that he hits rebuild 3.33 now. Chuck has a gigantic backlog so I am fully capable of believing he only just got to the third film.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it's more coincidence that he hits rebuild 3.33 now. Chuck has a gigantic backlog so I am fully capable of believing he only just got to the third film.

From what he said in the review, it was also a matter of him doing extensive research into the entire Evangelion franchise and fanbase in a futile effort to simply understand what the gently caress was trying to be expressed by 3.33 and failing miserable regardless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Chuck must have heard we were all talking about Evangelion recently: SF Debris looks (at long last) at Rebuild 3.33 aka the one where it all goes tits up.

It had suddenly struck me that I hadn't even looked a plot synopsis for 3.33 so I decided to do that. My initial reaction is mostly "okay, whatever you say."

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

3.33 is a hilarious mess, and I mean that both as a compliment and a fact.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I thought Zac Bertschy and Nick Creamer had interesting takes on 3.33.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

It had suddenly struck me that I hadn't even looked a plot synopsis for 3.33 so I decided to do that. My initial reaction is mostly "okay, whatever you say."

The plot is very much not the point of 3.33, it goes absolutely all-in on the deep introspection and character study that made Eva what it is and couldn’t give less of a poo poo about anything else. It’s a bit of a mess. I love it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

we already went over this in the actual got thread but "it was foreshadowed" isn't an excuse when the show is so terribly written and they speedran the past two-three seasons.

no one said it is, it's more that some Hot Takes have acted like some of these things happened completely out of nowhere when they didn't, they were just lovely. You can be properly foreshadowed and lovely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

The plot is very much not the point of 3.33, it goes absolutely all-in on the deep introspection and character study that made Eva what it is and couldn’t give less of a poo poo about anything else. It’s a bit of a mess. I love it.

Like I said, the Rebuild films should have been titled Rehab, Recovery, Relapse, Resignation for the rollercoaster ride of Anno and the series writ large's mental state over the course of the last decade plus of its development purgatory.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
A couple of Midwest nerds talk about Star Trek Discovery Season 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHhySoXDcA

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Nyx Fears talks about The Dead Don't Die, a very weird movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n6Lq8W9sMY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't the entire point of 3.33 that shinji going all burning hotbloodedness Gurren Lagann to save rei regardless of everything else was literally the worst possible thing he could have done and everyone hates him for being a gigantic fuckup because of it

It's been a while since I saw it and it was the first release so I'm probably misremembering things

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't the entire point of 3.33 that shinji going all burning hotbloodedness Gurren Lagann to save rei regardless of everything else was literally the worst possible thing he could have done and everyone hates him for being a gigantic fuckup because of it

It's been a while since I saw it and it was the first release so I'm probably misremembering things

Yup.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
no good deed goes unpunished

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really. Like everyone hates him for it but they're all also selfish assholes, whose problems are primarily caused by refusing to trust other people or explain what's going on. And we have seen how it goes if he doesn't act out, a death cult kills everyone. It honestly feels more like the point is just that even if you do what you think is right or might be good for you, that doesn't necessarily change the lovely abusive environment you're in.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah ive always felt the series sorta contrives ways to make shinji miserable. Oh you find unconditional love from someone else? You must murder him. You dont do anything and give in to your depression? The literal end of the world happens. You want to try and take initiative to save a person you truly care about? A smaller end of the world happens and everyone resents you for it i know a lot of it is anno calling out fans for being awful dumbfucks but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Since I didn't watch Game of Thrones, my thought was that there was going to be a series for each one of the books. Game of Thrones would be the first series with its umpteen seasons, then they were going to continue it with a second series based on what happens in Clash of Kings.

i am tim! posted:

There’s a kid out there somewhere named Dovahkiin that’s gonna be eight this year. Somebody probably named their kid Heisenberg.

Somewhere out there, there's a kid named Sephiroth.

There's also possibly a kid named Turok, but at least he's got some money to fall back on (hopefully).

TheMaestroso posted:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel does both drama and comedy well, though leans more toward comedy (and it's great for it).

I caught a bit of Ms. Maisel while someone was watching it, and there was a scene where this lady (Alex Borstein, I think) goes, "It been a real 'suck my donkey dick' kind of day." I didn't watch the whole thing, but that scene made me think it was worth checking out in full at some point.

Plus it has Tony Shalhoub in it, and he always elevates anything he's in.