Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
here's a question for you guys, something i've been wrestling with for the last month.

graduated about a year ago, found this job eight months ago. i work as a data entry guy, i make around $17/hr and then get a weekly bonus based on work output, usually this ranges between $150-$200, $300 on a good week. I get paid weekly. It's been pretty okay, it's not something I want to do forever but I don't have too many problems with it right now.

Problem is, we just moved offices. Before, I had about a 15 minute drive to work and a 20-25 minute drive home, depending on traffic. Now my commute is about an hour both ways. Not super ideal. My job also hasn't changed either, still getting paid the same and because we're still transitioning offices (we moved in with another company that I guess is our sister company? we're in the same office but didn't really merge. i don't fully understand it) i haven't really been able to work hard and get a good number of output so my weekly bonus basically is nonexistent right now. there used to be four of us doing data entry and now it's just me, so the pressure is on

I've talked to my boss and he's told me that once we get our feet back on the ground he's planning to hire more people and then make me their manager, or let me run the department, or whatever. presumably this comes with a raise and probably a restructuring of my bonus system since i'd be taking time away from doing stuff to make sure everyone else is doing it correctly. BUT that hasn't happened yet.

so CURRENTLY, i'm getting paid less to drive further and it does kinda suck right now. that won't always be the case but i don't have an ETA yet on when things will turn around. My lease is up in October so in October we can move quite a bit closer and cut my drive in half while still giving my fiancee a reasonable drive to her job. If I quit, they have literally no one doing what I do, and my job is vital to the rest of the company so they'd kind of be hosed. at the same time i don't really want to hold them hostage with demands for higher pay or anything

I'm trying to work out if i can work from home once or twice a week because I think that would help me out quite a bit

but i'm trying to figure out if it's worth staying here. this isn't a career i want long term, but it's a decent job now. i know i'm going to get stellar references, the pay's alright (pretty good with bonuses, i think i make about 1200/wk on a good week), and i can listen to whatever i want (and basically watch whatever i want, as long as my work doesn't get worse because of it). and there's a promise of a promotion at some vague point in the future.

on the other hand, i could quit and find something closer to where i am now, but i run the risk of 1) not finding a job quickly, which will suck. (I have money saved up and my fiancee's making a decent amount of money too, but still) 2) the job sucks and i don't have the freedom that i have here, and I'll also be entering back as an entry level guy probably making like 14/hr assuming i try and find a job in the same field

I've always wanted to be a teacher and I'm working on getting a substitute teaching license, so that will give me SOME experience and I believe I can get the time off if I transition to four days a week instead of five (or we can figure something out), i think they'll be flexible about it, they have been in the past for other people. so that's another thing to consider, if i stay here i'll probably be able to look into future career paths without having to stop working here or have it impact my work

this felt like a lot of typing, sorry if it's long but i'm curious to see what people think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Thumbtacks posted:

I've talked to my boss and he's told me that once we get our feet back on the ground he's planning to hire more people and then make me their manager, or let me run the department, or whatever. presumably this comes with a raise and probably a restructuring of my bonus system since i'd be taking time away from doing stuff to make sure everyone else is doing it correctly. BUT that hasn't happened yet.

He was vague about what will happen? It means he wanted you to think something that won't happen. Maybe you'll be made a "team lead" and get an extra dollar and hour but have more responsibilities. Maybe. I've moved people into management and it was never done with a vague "You'll maybe be a manager or run the department or something".

Thumbtacks posted:

If I quit, they have literally no one doing what I do, and my job is vital to the rest of the company so they'd kind of be hosed. at the same time i don't really want to hold them hostage with demands for higher pay or anything

This is not your problem. They are taking advantage of you. You are worried that the fact that you are now doing a job that provides more value to the company for less money means you shouldn't talk to your boss about money. Really?

quote:

I'm trying to work out if i can work from home once or twice a week because I think that would help me out quite a bit

At the very least this seems very reasonable.

quote:

on the other hand, i could quit and find something closer to where i am now, but i run the risk of 1) not finding a job quickly, which will suck. (I have money saved up and my fiancee's making a decent amount of money too, but still) 2) the job sucks and i don't have the freedom that i have here, and I'll also be entering back as an entry level guy probably making like 14/hr assuming i try and find a job in the same field

Is there a reason you can't look for a job without quitting? It's usually a lot easier to find a job when you have one, and "They moved offices and let go most of my team" is a really good answer if they ask you why you're looking for a new job.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lockback posted:

He was vague about what will happen? It means he wanted you to think something that won't happen. Maybe you'll be made a "team lead" and get an extra dollar and hour but have more responsibilities. Maybe. I've moved people into management and it was never done with a vague "You'll maybe be a manager or run the department or something".

That was me editorializing, he said it a lot more firmly. “When we get back on our feet I’m going to get more data entry guys and I want you to be in charge of them.” I do have a concern that this won’t come with a raise, he clarified that he didn’t necessarily want me as a MANAGER, because he still wants me doing the actual data entry part as much as possible and not just sitting there monitoring everyone, but we’ll see. If that doesn’t come with a raise I’m walking, period.

quote:

This is not your problem. They are taking advantage of you. You are worried that the fact that you are now doing a job that provides more value to the company for less money means you shouldn't talk to your boss about money. Really?

I did talk to him about it the other day, he made it clear that the company isn’t in a position currently to make any adjustments. Everyone working there now is still making the same that they made at the old office. I think. I need to discretely ask a few people if they’ve gotten changes to their pay structures yet.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, they’ve been good to me over the last six months.

quote:

At the very least this seems very reasonable.

It will help quite a bit, although I’m worried it’s not going to happen for a few weeks. Especially if we end up hiring new data entry people soon, because I doubt I’ll be able to work from home while I have to teach new people the ropes.

quote:

Is there a reason you can't look for a job without quitting? It's usually a lot easier to find a job when you have one, and "They moved offices and let go most of my team" is a really good answer if they ask you why you're looking for a new job.

That’s my last resort, if it doesn’t get better or if I find out they’re lying to me. That gives them enough time to find a replacement and for me to write up instructions on how to use my poo poo. When the time comes and I leave I should look into charging consulting fees if they gently caress up a program and I have to come fix it or talk them through it.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
So is it a bad idea when interviewing to answer the “why are you looking to change jobs?” Question with wanting to move home/be closer to family? I don’t want to lose any bargaining power, I’ll have little enough as is, I suspect.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

So is it a bad idea when interviewing to answer the “why are you looking to change jobs?” Question with wanting to move home/be closer to family? I don’t want to lose any bargaining power, I’ll have little enough as is, I suspect.

I think that is a totally fine thing to throw in, but maybe as a kind of “secondary” reason to why you’re excited about this company/job in particular. Emphasize why you are excited to work there and not just anywhere else nearby.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That. The question isn't "why don't you want to work at your old place" it's "why do you want to work HERE instead."

They just word it that way to trip you up.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I could use a little advice for my career pursuits.

Last time I posted here around early January(?) I believe, I had decided to switch from doing FEDevelopment work to pursuing a field called User Experience Design. For those who aren't familiar with that field, it's basically all the work that a person does before passing things off to your Front End developers; you are responsible for crafting the look and feel of a website, app or digital product. So i've been spending the first half of this year pouring everything I have into learning all aspects of this career. I've read books on books, watched dozens of lectures, threw down big bucks on software/hardware/classes needed to get whatever I needed in order to be covered with whatever is thrown my way in this career. Despite all of that, i'm still struggling to land a gig, and it's been a little over two years since I last had a full time position anywhere near my career field.

The main issue that i'm having is that most of the jobs I get extremely close to landing end up being more programming than actual UX design work. For example, during the months of April and early May, I interviewed for about 6 different User Experience-related jobs, and promptly lost out on every one. Note that these do not count the other jobs that died out midway through the interview process, these are the roles where I managed to get final stage interviews with. Even with position where, according to the interviewee, "I was the best candidate they interviewed by far", I still get beaten out regardless. Most of these jobs i'll find out during said final stage interview that they're about 30% UX/UI work and 70% programming/coding, and that's what killing me because I am just not that strong of a coder despite my efforts. I still apply to these positions and have been landing phone interviews consistently, but I do need to look into other career avenues while I do this one so I can get my feet off the ground. Anyone been in this situation before who has any good advice or ideas?

What makes things harder is the fact that i'm working overnight shifts in order to cover my monthly expenses, like medication costs, insurance premiums, etc. It's not the working part that's getting to me, but the extremely low rate of pay i'm making ($8.60 hourly). When I transferred from Dallas to Houston I took almost a $2 hourly hit to my new location, and as a result it's been extremely tough to nest egg for pretty much any type of financial security, cause my monthly expenses end up draining my bank account clean. The area I live doesn't seem to have many options that pay past the $10 an hour mark, and that's really hurting any future prospects I have if I decided to move to another city in this state with a better job market.

So i'm basically trapped where i'm at, with not a lot of career options and next to no way to scrape together enough money for a move. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of jobs I could do/look for that could pay somewhat of a livable hourly wage? I've tried applying to Amazon doing warehouse work but those openings are far and few down in my area, and when they do show up they're almost immediately scooped up minutes after postings before I can even finish submitting the employment form online. There's just got to be some kind of work out there that could pay somewhere around the $12 hourly mark, it would go a huge ways.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some encouragement on the dev/design front:

I'm in the field and know several people who started as devs and were designers by the time I worked when them. They were actually usually better for it since they had some intuition regarding what could be built and could communicate technically.

I think most would say they weren't great devs (and didn't want to be) but life is a winding path.

If you're getting callbacks and into later rounds then you're going to land something. It's a numbers game :\

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Company contacted me for interview (phone), thought it went quite well and was ready to proceed then get stock denial email today. I don’t even have to have it and job searching loving blows. :bang: gently caress’s sake

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I changed my mind, I’m looking for a new job. I’ll stay here until I ca get one and then give them enough of a courtesy notice that I can train someone else on how to do it, but then I’m out

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Any good books / courses on influencing without authority?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was literally just on a flight next to a woman who worked at AmEx and was working on a schedule for an internal conference where that was the exact name of one of the sessions.

What I'm saying is get hired at AmEx and stop reading my mind.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I graduated with a BS in biology back in 2010, and had trouble finding a job after. I tried secondary education, did pretty drat well for a semester and a summer class, then had a depression-fueled flameout the following fall when it came time to actually design curriculum. I was always bad at staying on track and even weekly assignments to write short summaries of stuff I did to stay enforced turned into late night hell sessions, and hoo boy that did not work now that I had to come up with a couple week’s worth of lesson plans.

So after some more languishing, I decided to try information security, because I like computers so why not. I went to a community college and got an AS in Information Assurance. It took a while due to to scheduling stuff and financial stuff, but I got it with a 4.0 in May 2016.

Right after getting the associate’s degree in June 2016, I got a job as the clerk for the building department of a small suburb after a series of tests and interview that started in the fall of the previous year. I was going to replace the soon-to-retire clerk and I’d basically be the only person in the building department who would actually be there every day. I talked about the career I wanted to start during my interviews (They didn’t have or want any IT people), but they hired me anyway. Apparently they realized that was a bad idea, because less than two weeks later they let me go, refusing to say why, but saying it was nothing I did wrong and they’d give me a nice recommendation. Cool, I’d love to tell prospective employers about the job I had for less than two weeks.

Now I’m having a hell of a time just getting an entry level job. Some people I met at an IT networking event I go to every month recommended I get CompTIA A+ certification, followed by Network+ and Security+. I got the A+ certification in December 2017, but my dumbass sadbrain combined with a second-shift job I got from a temp agency for several months has made it hard for me to put effort into either applying for jobs or studying for certifications. I thought I could use that job to get into their IT residency, but no luck, and I got unceremoniously dumped. The next temp job let me stay long enough to get on full time, and I have insurance, but it’s a nothing job. I stock a warehouse for $10/hr. I take stuff out of one kind of packaging and put it into another kind.

I had interviews for couple entry level jobs recently, but got rejected for more qualified candidates. I’m scared because these three years since getting the second degree have been longer than my previous languishing phases. My job history is barely relevant, I haven’t touched a computer for my job since February 2018. I have two summer hospital jobs I had in college, several stints scoring standardized tests, and then after that it’s Macy’s and Amazon holiday fulfillment, moving plants in a commercial greenhouse, checking truck inventory at a Dominos Pizza warehouse, and doing warehouse stock at another place now.

So any advice in addition to getting help with my depression and putting my nose to the grindstone with help desk job applications and studying?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 28, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I graduated last June and I've been job hunting for a full year now. I'm trapped in part time retail hell and I want out. Trouble is I am having a hell of a time finding entry level positions for anything right now, Ottawa's Indeed page is a loving ghost town for new hires. I have a degree in English and a writing concentration, but at this point I don't even know what kinds of jobs I should be searching for. I've done the usual Google search of "what kind of jobs can my degree get me?" but there is nothing out there for entry level proofreading or editing or even loving data entry. Anything that is out there is always prefaced with "must have x many years of experience" or its some patronizing retail outlet posting a bottom of the barrel retail position because "gently caress English majors what are they good for anyways?" bullshit.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can broaden my search or reframe myself as someone worth considering?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I graduated last June and I've been job hunting for a full year now. I'm trapped in part time retail hell and I want out. Trouble is I am having a hell of a time finding entry level positions for anything right now, Ottawa's Indeed page is a loving ghost town for new hires. I have a degree in English and a writing concentration, but at this point I don't even know what kinds of jobs I should be searching for. I've done the usual Google search of "what kind of jobs can my degree get me?" but there is nothing out there for entry level proofreading or editing or even loving data entry. Anything that is out there is always prefaced with "must have x many years of experience" or its some patronizing retail outlet posting a bottom of the barrel retail position because "gently caress English majors what are they good for anyways?" bullshit.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can broaden my search or reframe myself as someone worth considering?

Hey, it's my career path! After I graduated, I applied to editing jobs and got a few interviews that went nowhere. Worked in retail until I got a job at a environmental testing company as a proofreader and admin assistant, few job changes later now I work at an IRB doing admin work and drafting minutes.

What you need is experience, once I got a few years I became desirable. Do you have any connections to get you a starting administrative assistant job? English writing skills are a pro for any job where you're sending out commications on behalf of dipshit higher ups. Other potential career paths for you could be medical writing or technical writing. If you want, you can PM me.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Don’t pigeonhole yourself in feeling you need to stick exactly (or even roughly) to your degree field (unless you went STEM or for something very particular, possibly). I’ve done better just getting in somewhere and proving myself than I ever did trying to stick nearer “degreed” skills.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speaking as someone who lives in Ottawa - this is a government town.

You need to be all the gently caress over government jobs. Apply to casual postings for GC. You have a degree, all you need is an in. You’ll get that via applications and possibly looking at temp degrees.

You have a degree, you can use email and write properly, you’re already overqualified for most CR positions and AS1 positions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jordan7hm posted:

Speaking as someone who lives in Ottawa - this is a government town.

You need to be all the gently caress over government jobs. Apply to casual postings for GC. You have a degree, all you need is an in. You’ll get that via applications and possibly looking at temp degrees.

You have a degree, you can use email and write properly, you’re already overqualified for most CR positions and AS1 positions.

All the positions I see that are available in Ottawa have these massive lists of screening questions that I can't answer because, again, they want all this experience and I can't answer honestly. Or I find a question I can answer honestly, fill out the application and then gave the government website bug out on me and insist I haven't finished the screening questions therefore locking me out of finishing the application.

I want to know how to answer those questions so I can actually get noticed, but I've had no office experience to draw on.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 29, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s a challenge getting in, but you just need to keep sending in resumes and stretching experience to fit the minimum quals.

Also recommend talking to temp agencies. A temp contract is a good way to transition into a casual and then indeterminate position.

Seriously, if you have a degree in English you’re at least qualified for a CR position.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I need some advice.

I work for a company I love. My title is Payroll and Expense specialist, my manager has no time to get involved in payroll so I do pretty much all of payroll, all of HRIS, all the expense reports, reporting, and pretty much everything. I don’t mind this because my boss is chill and I know she’s busy with other HR things - plus I’m making a TON of overtime. Now, my company has tripled in size since I started and a new department just sprouted up for planning and organization - and the HRIS I do is being wrapped into that.

They actually created a role for me, and offered it to me today but it’s the same pay (unless I can negotiate higher) and I feel like abandoning the Payroll/HR path for an SAP Hris project manager path would be starting over. The new manager would be amazing but the overtime I’ve come to rely on over 3 years wouldn’t be there.

I need some advice. I’m conflicted on what to do.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
I just graduated last May with a BS in Econ from a college in the U.S., but I'm already in my late 20s with no work experience other than military. I'm about to start my first real job in August. I have 2 job offers, both as an analyst in the finance industry.

The first option is a medium sized firm in a developed country where I'm originally from. The pay is around industry average for the country, and since it's one of those old Japanese style East Asian company, my job security for the next 10 years is guaranteed. This company didn't even layoff during 2007-2008.

The second one is an industry leader, and its customer base includes all the big players in the game. Layoff due to redundancies happens from time to time here, but I think it's worth the risk since the company recognition and the experience that I can gain is unrivaled, and my skill sets are unique. The catch is I'll have to relocate to Southeast Asia and the pay is 40% less than the other job. I will still get paid many times more than what fresh local college graduates usually get.

The packages are both competitive considering the cost of living, and especially for someone with limited experience. I'm tempted to take the Southeast Asia offer, but I'm worried if that will have a negative impact on my future salary if I decide to move back to a developed country later. Has anyone done something like this?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

I need some advice.

I work for a company I love. My title is Payroll and Expense specialist, my manager has no time to get involved in payroll so I do pretty much all of payroll, all of HRIS, all the expense reports, reporting, and pretty much everything. I don’t mind this because my boss is chill and I know she’s busy with other HR things - plus I’m making a TON of overtime. Now, my company has tripled in size since I started and a new department just sprouted up for planning and organization - and the HRIS I do is being wrapped into that.

They actually created a role for me, and offered it to me today but it’s the same pay (unless I can negotiate higher) and I feel like abandoning the Payroll/HR path for an SAP Hris project manager path would be starting over. The new manager would be amazing but the overtime I’ve come to rely on over 3 years wouldn’t be there.

I need some advice. I’m conflicted on what to do.

I’d try negotiating. It sounds like it could add to your skill set, but I wouldn’t be too eager for what is effectively a pay cut either. You’ll be a better judge of what they’d be receptive to, but start building a case for how you have been prepared for this new role and how it is a step up that should come with better compensation.

Flagellum posted:

I just graduated last May with a BS in Econ from a college in the U.S., but I'm already in my late 20s with no work experience other than military. I'm about to start my first real job in August. I have 2 job offers, both as an analyst in the finance industry.

The first option is a medium sized firm in a developed country where I'm originally from. The pay is around industry average for the country, and since it's one of those old Japanese style East Asian company, my job security for the next 10 years is guaranteed. This company didn't even layoff during 2007-2008.

The second one is an industry leader, and its customer base includes all the big players in the game. Layoff due to redundancies happens from time to time here, but I think it's worth the risk since the company recognition and the experience that I can gain is unrivaled, and my skill sets are unique. The catch is I'll have to relocate to Southeast Asia and the pay is 40% less than the other job. I will still get paid many times more than what fresh local college graduates usually get.

The packages are both competitive considering the cost of living, and especially for someone with limited experience. I'm tempted to take the Southeast Asia offer, but I'm worried if that will have a negative impact on my future salary if I decide to move back to a developed country later. Has anyone done something like this?

I am a bit jaded, but I think I’d go for stability and better pay. My experience is narrow I’ll admit, but when I’ve been told about how cutting edge and dynamic a company is, I’ve been rather disappointed with the reality.

I also come here for some advice. I find myself a bit ill at ease in my current career path (IT, now working a cloud support position for a software company). I know I could go a few different ways in this field, but I don’t know that 40 more years of this is for me, and I can’t help but think about a career change.

Teaching has always interested me, but so do a number of other things (some trades, dentistry, even career counseling). I’d need schooling for these and would make less to start, but I am in a position that I could manage that. I want to do some volunteer work to hopefully find some more clarity, but I’d really appreciate hearing anything from anyone who has thought about or navigated a change like this.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 11, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I've been put into the inventory for a couple government jobs in Ottawa. So now I'll just have to wait a few months years to see if they slot me into an opening.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 11, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well I've been put into the inventory for a couple government jobs in Ottawa. So now I'll just have to wait a few months years to see if they slot me into an opening.

Good luck!

The trick with GC is just to keep at it. Eventually you’ll get in, and once you’re there’s a lot of options available.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey everyone, Current position is a billing control specialist which is mostly me automating excel spreadsheets or access dbs. While it’s a good position, I’m looking to the future and there’s no real chance of promotion here: Where can I go from here if I want to stay technical in the finance field? (And get paid more, of course! I currently make about 60k) I have a large chunk of cash saved up since I live with my parents, so I would be willing to do study, but my college gpa was ... not good (long story short depression sucks). I’ve started learning python in my free time, if that helps.

Also, is a lean six sigma green belt worth anything? I was “nominated” for it at work but If it doesn’t matter on the resume I’ll pass on it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Look into investment banking operations, we paid people wheelbarrows full of money to automate poo poo in any way possible. If you have a change mindset--which you can evidence with your green belt--you should be golden. Nobody cares about your GPA if you've already been working a few years.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

nitsuga posted:

Teaching has always interested me, but so do a number of other things (some trades, dentistry, even career counseling). I’d need schooling for these and would make less to start, but I am in a position that I could manage that. I want to do some volunteer work to hopefully find some more clarity, but I’d really appreciate hearing anything from anyone who has thought about or navigated a change like this.
Teaching is one of those things that everybody likes to think they would enjoy. You think back to the teachers who inspired you, the great teachers who taught what they loved and whose students admired them.

That will not be you. For the first few years, and perhaps indefinitely, you will be the teacher you hated. The teacher who can't even get to the material because the students run wild, because classroom management is 99% of the difficulty of teaching. You will be unfair and make mistakes every single day. Your kids will despise you. You will work long hours for low pay. You will spend hours on lesson plans that suck. You will spend hours on lesson plans that never get used. You will fail miserably in your first year, because even if you are halfway decent at teaching you have this expectation you've built up in your head and reality will come nowhere near it.

Teaching is not fun or easy for the first few years, and I think you would be insane to go back to school for it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So I could really use some good advice on career hunting that isnt 'do computer work/programming'.

I spent the past six months working my rear end off to land a job in a field called User Experience design, and despite doing all sorts of interviews I just couldn't make it work out.

My immediate problem right now is purely financial; despite working almost full-time hours, I wont even be able to crack twelve thousand dollars for the entire year. Minimum-wage in Texas sucks, and my medication costs and poo poo health care premium plan which covers practically nothing eats up half that, so I'd be lucky to have saved up 6k by year's end that hasn't already been eaten up by my pursuit for a better job.

This is actually pretty dangerous for me, I live in extreme poverty right now. If it wasnt for moving in with my parents yet again this year I would easily be living in my car or be flat homeless. Despite my efforts in applying and looking for any type of better paying job, nobody seems to be hiring so I'm basically trapped in a dead-end backstocker job at a local grocery store.

So I dunno, does anybody know of a type of job that would pay me somewhat of a livable wage? A field that doesnt require a bachelor's degree or expensive training that I have to sink years of my life into and thousands of dollars that I dont have.

I really need to get something else cause right now its next to impossible to save up for anything at this rate, I am really on the wire here and all it takes is one pricey car repair to wipe out what little money I've managed to scrape together so far.

I am on the verge of cancelling my health care plan for the year within the next few days. The monthly fees are really killing me right now and I'm just hoping I dont get in any type of serious accident through the rest of the year, that is how badly I need extra cash right now.

White Light fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 19, 2019

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Drive buses or trains for a metropolitan transit network. They should be union. Minneapolis bus drivers start at $20/hour.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Parrotine posted:

So I could really use some good advice on career hunting that isnt 'do computer work/programming'.

I spent the past six months working my rear end off to land a job in a field called User Experience design, and despite doing all sorts of interviews I just couldn't make it work out.

My immediate problem right now is purely financial; despite working almost full-time hours, I wont even be able to crack twelve thousand dollars for the entire year. Minimum-wage in Texas sucks, and my medication costs and poo poo health care premium plan which covers practically nothing eats up half that, so I'd be lucky to have saved up 6k by year's end that hasn't already been eaten up by my pursuit for a better job.

This is actually pretty dangerous for me, I live in extreme poverty right now. If it wasnt for moving in with my parents yet again this year I would easily be living in my car or be flat homeless. Despite my efforts in applying and looking for any type of better paying job, nobody seems to be hiring so I'm basically trapped in a dead-end backstocker job at a local grocery store.

So I dunno, does anybody know of a type of job that would pay me somewhat of a livable wage? A field that doesnt require a bachelor's degree or expensive training that I have to sink years of my life into and thousands of dollars that I dont have.

I really need to get something else cause right now its next to impossible to save up for anything at this rate, I am really on the wire here and all it takes is one pricey car repair to wipe out what little money I've managed to scrape together so far.

I am on the verge of cancelling my health care plan for the year within the next few days. The monthly fees are really killing me right now and I'm just hoping I dont get in any type of serious accident through the rest of the year, that is how badly I need extra cash right now.

Where are you at and are you able to move? Oil field will hire anyone with a pulse and pays stupid money. COL is also dumb but you’d have a shot in hell, at least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Argona posted:

Hey everyone, Current position is a billing control specialist which is mostly me automating excel spreadsheets or access dbs. While it’s a good position, I’m looking to the future and there’s no real chance of promotion here: Where can I go from here if I want to stay technical in the finance field? (And get paid more, of course! I currently make about 60k) I have a large chunk of cash saved up since I live with my parents, so I would be willing to do study, but my college gpa was ... not good (long story short depression sucks). I’ve started learning python in my free time, if that helps.

Also, is a lean six sigma green belt worth anything? I was “nominated” for it at work but If it doesn’t matter on the resume I’ll pass on it.

The six sigma green belt isn't that useful but being able to coherently talk about some six sigma / lean concepts using a framework is going to probably be useful to you, and it doesn't hurt your resume.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Where are you at and are you able to move? Oil field will hire anyone with a pulse and pays stupid money. COL is also dumb but you’d have a shot in hell, at least.

I live in an area of Texas called Spring, which is about a 30 minute drive north of the city of Houston.

I have moved before for work a couple of times in the past, but that all depends on how much money i've been able to nest egg. Right now things are extremely tight, I still keep fluctuating between the thousand dollar mark due to my health care/medication expenses. I'll probably even out towards that within a month, but as you can see it takes a VERY long time for me to accumulate enough cash to pick up and move somewhere. I'd say i'd be able to consider it about a year from now at the earliest. I know there's a lot of work relating to oil in Houston but they're mostly corporate jobs that i'm not qualified for or will/have been getting passed over for other candidates with more experience.

Right now i'm actually considering scraping up about $10k for however long it takes and relocating to Austin. I've lived in Dallas a couple of times before and know that there's much more opportunities available there compared to Houston, but the agents working in that area are terrible at their jobs and unfortunately almost all job opportunities go through agencies so i'm not sure I want to go through that gambit again. At least in Austin the city is nicer and the same amount of opportunities are available there as Dallas, but you do need to live there or else places will flat pass on you entirely. At the worst I could relocate, find an hourly job to cover my bare-bones living/food expenses and just keep looking for better opportunities.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Parrotine posted:

I live in an area of Texas called Spring, which is about a 30 minute drive north of the city of Houston.

I have moved before for work a couple of times in the past, but that all depends on how much money i've been able to nest egg. Right now things are extremely tight, I still keep fluctuating between the thousand dollar mark due to my health care/medication expenses. I'll probably even out towards that within a month, but as you can see it takes a VERY long time for me to accumulate enough cash to pick up and move somewhere. I'd say i'd be able to consider it about a year from now at the earliest. I know there's a lot of work relating to oil in Houston but they're mostly corporate jobs that i'm not qualified for or will/have been getting passed over for other candidates with more experience.

Right now i'm actually considering scraping up about $10k for however long it takes and relocating to Austin. I've lived in Dallas a couple of times before and know that there's much more opportunities available there compared to Houston, but the agents working in that area are terrible at their jobs and unfortunately almost all job opportunities go through agencies so i'm not sure I want to go through that gambit again. At least in Austin the city is nicer and the same amount of opportunities are available there as Dallas, but you do need to live there or else places will flat pass on you entirely. At the worst I could relocate, find an hourly job to cover my bare-bones living/food expenses and just keep looking for better opportunities.

I actually grew up there so I know exactly where you mean. Each city will have pros/cons, and each has its own industry strengths. Houston does have a lot of oil and gas, Dallas seems to have a lot of transportation. I know there is some tech in Austin, San Antonio has a mix and more military. Medical seems big in all of them. West Texas is in oil boom pretty well right now and you can make 6 figures driving a truck I’m pretty sure. CoL is outrageous though, quality of life isn’t great and road safety is atrocious. Eagle Ford is coming back some but it won’t be as easy as Permian. Money would still be crazy though.

So part depends on what industry you’re looking at, honestly if you’re going to stay hourly, no sense moving unless you have a definite plan with an industry/company you’re targeting, IMO. I had an offer for like a mail clerk at an oil company there while still in high school, so don’t discount those types of positions either. Wage may not be much higher but benefits should be.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Apropos of not really anything, but Pharmacy has crashed. We all knew it was coming from pay drops, labor surplus, responsibility creep and unnecessary short staffing, but the discreet death-knell came with Walmart mass firing ~1000 pharmacy personnel nationwide and "restructuring" their schedules so that most stores are just going to operate on one pharmacist per 12-13 hour business day. Pay is also dropping; when I graduated in 2015 the industry average was $60-65 an hour for retail, but new grads are reporting $40 for a harder job and more responsibilities. Pharmacy school tuition is still $12k a semester for 4 years not counting prereqs. I've been stuck as a 10-20 hour a month part timer with the big box for nearly two years despite hundreds of applications because the labor market is bloated and we have no industry representation. Do not go into pharmacy, under any circumstances, even if it was your parent's dying wish. Do Not. I wasted the entirety of my life from 18-32 on this career and I have nothing to show for it but a six figure student debt I can't even get work to pay off.

Anyway my programmer friends are all doing well, especially the one that quit accounting entirely and moved into IT.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Meanwhile in Denver my GF pays her hygienist $40/hr (first job out of school...).

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

spwrozek posted:

Meanwhile in Denver my GF pays her hygienist $40/hr (first job out of school...).

That's one of my favorite things about the capitalism-as-meritocracy sham. Work hard, apply yourself, do the right thing, go for a respected, financially secure position even if it's not something you love, but also get irrecoverably hosed over for life anyway while someone else who guessed differently comes out much better. This is ok, good, and even a desirable outcome of the free market system because as long as it doesn't happen to me I can rationalize it away as a necessary evil. (good for the hygienist though, really)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

poo poo I was pretty happy to make $14/hr after grad school.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

poo poo I was pretty happy to make $14/hr after grad school.

Yikes. I hope that was 30 years ago.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Yikes. I hope that was 30 years ago.

Nope, ~8. I chose...poorly. Should’ve spun the wheel again, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
08 was an exceptionally bad year due to the crash, it wasn't you.