Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bluedeanie posted:

Thank you! I unfortunately have the cilantro gene so I will forgo that entirely and instead imagine what it is supposed to taste like to a normal person :smith:

Ahhh fair enough. Definitely still use the normal parsley then IMO. Not only does it make the dish look as good as it tastes, it does add some green freshness in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

captkirk posted:

Related to the podcast question is cooking youtube channels. I subscribe to You Suck At Cooking, Binging With Babish, a handle full of Japanese food channels, Sortedfood, and Bon Appetit. Some of these are more about entertainment than the food.

America's Test Kitchen is good, Food Wishes, Munchies, Epicurious.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

That's a good list there. Any specific recs on the Japanese ones?

There are a million others, but I just want to shout out that Bong Eats is a fantastic Indian food channel, not anything weed-related. They provide very good novice-friendly instructions, but don't dumb down the recipes/ingredients themselves. You will really need to have an Indian grocer available, or order from Amazon.

The Japanese ones I subscribe to are Cooking with Dog is a classic, Tabi Eats is nice (they do a lot of "lets eat conbini or street food" videos but they also have cooking videos some of which include the creator's mother), No Recipes (the creator has this weird smile and psuedo enthusiasm which is kinda weird), Marion's Kitchen (which is more of just a mostly Asian cooking channel), Just One Cookbook (videos for the similarly named website), and then Chopstick Chronicles which is short time lapsed, un-narrated videos to accompany a recipe blog.

Cooking with Dog and Tabi Eats are the better ones in terms of youtube content, Just One Cookbook is decent but it's just videos that go with the recipes on their website.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pookah posted:

Are you using fresh or canned/carton pineapple juice? I remember reading somewhere that the enzyme in pineapple that digests protein is denatured by the canning/packing process, which is why using fresh pineapple juice is bad news in a slow cooker, but canned is ok.
Right, but you know what part of the canning process destroys bromelain? Heating it. Which you're also doing thoroughly when cooking with it. So you're good either way

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

ninjewtsu posted:

I recall there previously being a thai food thread in this forum, but I'm having trouble finding it? My thai mother is moving back to Thailand, and while my relationship with her is, uh, strained, I really loved her cooking and was hoping to find another source of recipes for my favorite foods. Is there any quick, goon-approved resources? (in particular I'd love to learn more about making thai noodle soup: I have my mother's recipe but every thai restaurant I eat at makes it different and that's so refreshing from every pho restaurant tasting exactly the same, I want to learn all of these different ways to make it)

I really like Andy Ricker's Pok Pok but it might be kinda tailored to farangs like me. It has a lot of history and shortcuts for being outside Thailand and being restricted in your ingredients.

Also, from my understanding, every Thai cook makes things a little differently, often never learning from a written recipe. This results in restaurant owners desperately trying to get their new hires to follow their 'official' method with mixed success.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

”Anne Whateley" posted:

Ten hours is fine

Thank you. Girlfriend got cold feet on it so we’re just cooking it overnight tonight and waking up to take it out.

Anne Whateley posted:

Right, but you know what part of the canning process destroys bromelain? Heating it. Which you're also doing thoroughly when cooking with it. So you're good either way

Thank you both. We’re using canned and this is good to know. I was thinking of how raw meat shouldn’t be marinated in acid too long but didn’t know about the heat element.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bluedeanie posted:

Thank you! I unfortunately have the cilantro gene so I will forgo that entirely and instead imagine what it is supposed to taste like to a normal person :smith:
Good news! Although there's evidence that there's a genetic component to cilantro preference, the evidence doesn't suggest that genetics is the only, or even a particularly strong, determining factor in cilantro preference: disliking cilantro is a good predictor of having one of a number of genes, but having one of those genes isn't a good predictor of disliking cilantro.

Not to try to talk you into liking cilantro or anything like that. But if you're really unhappy about not liking cilantro, don't assume it's hopeless because you think you've been genetically programmed to dislike it or something like that. That isn't how it works.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Twobirds posted:

I really like Andy Ricker's Pok Pok but it might be kinda tailored to farangs like me. It has a lot of history and shortcuts for being outside Thailand and being restricted in your ingredients.

Also, from my understanding, every Thai cook makes things a little differently, often never learning from a written recipe. This results in restaurant owners desperately trying to get their new hires to follow their 'official' method with mixed success.

I get that, I don't expect 2 dishes from 2 different restaurants to be, like, identical, but my experiences with thai noodle soup (including my time in thailand) has been one of an especially wide variety of soups, even just assuming I'm always getting beef and never changing up the protein

I guess I mostly just want to know what directions I can take a basic recipe in, especially if I can recreate even a similar flavor to some of my favorites.

Also if there's any kind of resource on the massive variety of thai sauces (the kind you get separately and combine with a protein and a vegetable and rice every bite) I'd really, really love that. I've gotten my mom to show me how to make a few in the past and tried to jot down an ingredient list but several use ingredients I couldn't identify (and she wouldn't really explain) that are definitely procured from an Asian market. The basics of all of them are "pepper, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar" and I know of one that includes at least shrimp paste as well (I believe other ingredients too?), as well as one that omits one of these base ingredients but I don't know which one. I'm not really expecting to find the specific sauces my mom makes but I would very much like to see what else is out there that i could make.

This is starting to feel a bit too specific for a general questions thread, but i dunno if starting a new thread for this would really be appropriate in this forum. I definitely appreciate the resources that have been provided thus far, I'm going to see about picking up some of those cookbooks soon, and I've already bookmarked that YouTube channel

lodie
Feb 8, 2004
i have some chicken breasts that i was brining for ~24 hours with the intent to grill them, but it has been pouring. is anything disastrous going to happen if they sit there for two days instead?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

SubG posted:

Good news! Although there's evidence that there's a genetic component to cilantro preference, the evidence doesn't suggest that genetics is the only, or even a particularly strong, determining factor in cilantro preference: disliking cilantro is a good predictor of having one of a number of genes, but having one of those genes isn't a good predictor of disliking cilantro.

Not to try to talk you into liking cilantro or anything like that. But if you're really unhappy about not liking cilantro, don't assume it's hopeless because you think you've been genetically programmed to dislike it or something like that. That isn't how it works.

A friend of mine swears she suddenly "got" it while working on a farm and moving a flat of cilantro seedlings, so I try cilantro every time I have a chance in hopes that one day I will suddenly "get" what everybody else likes about it, but it hasn't happened for me yet. She was pregnant at the time so I still kinda half believe that it is totally genetic and her switch was just pregnancy stem cell magic, but maybe someday I'll be a cilantro-liker.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Corla Plankun posted:

A friend of mine swears she suddenly "got" it while working on a farm and moving a flat of cilantro seedlings, so I try cilantro every time I have a chance in hopes that one day I will suddenly "get" what everybody else likes about it, but it hasn't happened for me yet. She was pregnant at the time so I still kinda half believe that it is totally genetic and her switch was just pregnancy stem cell magic, but maybe someday I'll be a cilantro-liker.

I have had multiple friends who hated cilantro flip around to loving it from pregnancy. They all started out disgusted at it but just felt compelled to keep eating it, and eventually they started liking it. Maybe part of it was an exposure thing, maybe part of it was all the hormones, but either way they enjoy it now!

lodie posted:

i have some chicken breasts that i was brining for ~24 hours with the intent to grill them, but it has been pouring. is anything disastrous going to happen if they sit there for two days instead?

It'll be safe to eat, but if you've got acid in the marinade it's going to make them all mushy and gross. You can just take them out of the marinade if you're worried about it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ninjewtsu posted:

I get that, I don't expect 2 dishes from 2 different restaurants to be, like, identical, but my experiences with thai noodle soup (including my time in thailand) has been one of an especially wide variety of soups, even just assuming I'm always getting beef and never changing up the protein

I guess I mostly just want to know what directions I can take a basic recipe in, especially if I can recreate even a similar flavor to some of my favorites.

Also if there's any kind of resource on the massive variety of thai sauces (the kind you get separately and combine with a protein and a vegetable and rice every bite) I'd really, really love that. I've gotten my mom to show me how to make a few in the past and tried to jot down an ingredient list but several use ingredients I couldn't identify (and she wouldn't really explain) that are definitely procured from an Asian market. The basics of all of them are "pepper, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar" and I know of one that includes at least shrimp paste as well (I believe other ingredients too?), as well as one that omits one of these base ingredients but I don't know which one. I'm not really expecting to find the specific sauces my mom makes but I would very much like to see what else is out there that i could make.

This is starting to feel a bit too specific for a general questions thread, but i dunno if starting a new thread for this would really be appropriate in this forum. I definitely appreciate the resources that have been provided thus far, I'm going to see about picking up some of those cookbooks soon, and I've already bookmarked that YouTube channel

Some ingredients that your mum may have used could be galangal, ginseng, turmeric root, Thai basil and holy basil. Galangal is similar to ginger root and you could use ginger if you can’t find it. I’ve not been able to find ginseng root in any local Asian markets near me in Sydney, but I can get turmeric root really easily as it’s popular as a ‘superfood’ with health foodies here. You could grow your own Thai and holy basil if you can’t find it on sale as I’d bet you’d find the seeds online easily.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I always wonder if I have the Bad Cilantro gene(s), because I don't know if what it tastes like to me is "bad" or not.

Like, I hate IPAs, but lots of people love them, despite the fact that we are ostensibly tasting the same flavors for a given beer.

Some folks say that the "bad" cilantro taste is like soap, but, not being in the habit of eating soap, I've no idea if that's what I'm tasting.

Granted I don't usually notice cilantro at all, so I'm tempted to buy some, chop it up into a fine paste, and taste it by itself, just to settle the question once and for all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you don't notice it then you don't have the gene, I think. My little brother has it and he can immediately taste/smell it in dishes I didn't even know had any cilantro at all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Annath posted:

I always wonder if I have the Bad Cilantro gene(s), because I don't know if what it tastes like to me is "bad" or not.
Whether or not you have one of the genes associated with cilantro preference wouldn't tell you that either. Your subjective experience is your subjective experience. And at least for most people that has more to do with your background, what you normally eat, and so on than your genetics.

The alleles associated with cilantro preference occur in similar rates across the globe (with a few exceptions) but the best predictor of whether you'll think cilantro tastes bad is if your background is white European. South Asians, for example, have more or less the same prevalence of the allele as white Europeans, but report cilantro tasting bad at half the rate.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cilantro tastes like you paid a rentboy to eat only soap and dirt for three days and then fart in your mouth, you would for sure know if you were predisposed not to like it.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

My sister has just got the results back from her food intolerance test and it turns out she’s intolerant to garlic. The horror!

What cuisines should we be looking at which don’t use garlic so much?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My sister has just got the results back from her food intolerance test and it turns out she’s intolerant to garlic. The horror!

What cuisines should we be looking at which don’t use garlic so much?

Is it specifically garlic or all alliums? Because garlic is easy enough to leave out of recipes, but all alliums would need more creativity.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strict Jainist cuisine doesn't use garlic or any root vegetables at all. Adopting it wholesale would be a pretty radical move but it might have substitutes. I think asafoetida is a staple substitute for alliums in Indian cuisine where faith prohibits them.

Wild garlic (allium ursinum) is a popular substitute in Germany, closely related to ramps (a. tricoccum), and of course both also to garlic so make sure to check if the allergy extends to those.

comedy option: US midwestern, 1950s/60s German

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I made some pickled radishes earlier this week and the flavor's still there, but the crunch has gone down really noticeably - I kinda just eyeballed it and haven't done radishes before, I'm guessing the culprit is either that I went too heavy on the salt, mandolined them too thinly, went too heavy on vinegar/water in the brine, or used too big of a jar so they weren't packed as much as they'd ideally be

Basically are there any of those things I can disregard? I'd like thin extra vinegary and salty pickled radishes, the less I have to trade away from that the better

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you like sour, crunchy extra salty look into lactofermenting them

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SubG posted:

Thank you for this! The first time I ate cilantro (maybe age 14, in a Thai soup) I thought it tasted disgusting and soapy. But now I really like it! I don't remember when it switched, but I'll admit I had a phase where I'd force myself to like Asian food regardless of the taste, so I probably just got used to it.

Otoh I will forever hate rosemary. It tastes like unwashed genitals and ruins every dish.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

What does it taste like now? Did the taste change or did you convince yourself that soaptrash tastes good now, like some kind of tastebud stockholm syndrome?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

What does it taste like now? Did the taste change or did you convince yourself that soaptrash tastes good now, like some kind of tastebud stockholm syndrome?

I can't tell you if it changed. It still tastes a bit soapy, but I actively like it, it's not that I just put up with it like I do with bean sprouts and pine seeds. Cilantro doesn't dominate the dish any more either, I guess it's similar to other herbs like basil and parsley.

That said if you don't like it feel free to avoid it, same as chilis, garlic, asafoetida or any other controversial spice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Roommate's parents sent him a big bag of fresh cherries, was thinking of stealing them to make a jam/syrup/something like that for having with stuff like pound cake. Never done anything working with heated fruits before, anyone have some tips on where to start?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pidan posted:

Otoh I will forever hate rosemary. It tastes like unwashed genitals and ruins every dish.

Who's balls have you been around that smell like Christmas trees? And how do I get my boyfriend's less then fresh times smell like rosemary?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Cilantro tastes like soap and is very noticeable to me, but I also absolutely love it. I always wonder just how much of it really is genetic.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Cilantro tastes like soap and is very noticeable to me, but I also absolutely love it. I always wonder just how much of it really is genetic.

I think there are two different coriander tastes which are genetic but whether you like or dislike either of them is human variation. It seems like generally people tend to like the non-soap taste and tend to not like the soap taste, but with enough exceptions on each side so as to muddy the waters when talking only about liking or disliking the stuff.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I think there are two different coriander tastes which are genetic but whether you like or dislike either of them is human variation. It seems like generally people tend to like the non-soap taste and tend to not like the soap taste, but with enough exceptions on each side so as to muddy the waters when talking only about liking or disliking the stuff.
Around 12.4% of the world population reports that cilantro tastes soapy, and about 87.6% reports it doesn't. The best data we have suggests that about 0.5% of this variation is due to genetics.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
so 1 in 8 people is a picky eater is what you're saying

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

so 1 in 8 people is a picky eater is what you're saying

Well no, some of the people who say it tastes soapy like that taste! Maybe 1 in 8 people has a weird idea of what soap tastes like.

I mean even if it isn't a specific gene or something, there does seem to be a very clear difference in the way that different people experience the taste in a way not explained by normal variation in what people like or don't like. Same with capsicum/bell pepper being either harmless and mostly tasteless or very noticeable and Bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I suddenly am in the mood to quick pickle a bunch of things. What are some good things to quick pickle beyond the usual stuff?

I had some pickled potatoes and pineapple at a Mexican hole in the wall, surprisingly great. What else?

edit: also, what is the amount of salt I should use in a quick pickle? I see lots of different recommendations

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 30, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We're doing a pickled corn and okra salad this week, I can dig out the recipe if you like. No idea if it's good but it sounds worth trying!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

We're doing a pickled corn and okra salad this week, I can dig out the recipe if you like. No idea if it's good but it sounds worth trying!
Pickled okra ooooooowns.

Not sure if it counts as the usual stuff, but one of my favourite fermented things is fermented pepper sauce.

And beyond the standard dill-ish, bread-and-butter-ish, and so on pickle recipes, keep in mind that nearly everything works well in kimchi. My standard oh poo poo I forgot I got that in the CSA box this week solution is well it'll work in motherfuckin kimchi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I kim all the chees. It's great and a fantastically healthy part of a daily diet.

However, I have, over the last couple of years, become more and more entranced with Chinese oil based pickles. Like the FanSuaGang ones in the jars with the little karate kid on them. They're so good on everything savory, but I have no idea of how they're actually made.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

effika posted:

I have had multiple friends who hated cilantro flip around to loving it from pregnancy. They all started out disgusted at it but just felt compelled to keep eating it, and eventually they started liking it. Maybe part of it was an exposure thing, maybe part of it was all the hormones, but either way they enjoy it now!

It'll be safe to eat, but if you've got acid in the marinade it's going to make them all mushy and gross. You can just take them out of the marinade if you're worried about it.

thanks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I kim all the chees. It's great and a fantastically healthy part of a daily diet.

However, I have, over the last couple of years, become more and more entranced with Chinese oil based pickles. Like the FanSuaGang ones in the jars with the little karate kid on them. They're so good on everything savory, but I have no idea of how they're actually made.

The only oil pickle I know about is an Indian achar, and they're really easy, you just heat up some mustard oil to reduce the acrid taste, add a shitload of powdered spices to the thing you're pickling along with some salt, and put it all in a jar. No water, this is important, and everything has to be sterile. Sugar is okay though. Then you set it outside for a few days with cheesecloth over the top, store it in a cool dark place for a few days, and done. Enjoy. It'll only get better over time.

Make sure to use a clean dry spoon whenever you get pickle out of the jar.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bluedeanie posted:

Cilantro tastes like you paid a rentboy to eat only soap and dirt for three days and then fart in your mouth, you would for sure know if you were predisposed not to like it.

That reminds me, I haven’t seen your dad for a while, say hi from me

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

SubG posted:

Pickled okra ooooooowns.

Not sure if it counts as the usual stuff, but one of my favourite fermented things is fermented pepper sauce.

And beyond the standard dill-ish, bread-and-butter-ish, and so on pickle recipes, keep in mind that nearly everything works well in kimchi. My standard oh poo poo I forgot I got that in the CSA box this week solution is well it'll work in motherfuckin kimchi.

Fermented pepper sauce recipe go!

My previous, first, completely winging-it attempt went... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh, I totally forgot to tell you guys that the boiled stone crab from the other day turned out absolutely delicious.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 30, 2019