Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tricky posted:

Did I say they would be having a punchfest with Vegeta? No. In fact, if you actually bother to read some of the things I have posted in this very thread, I said earlier:

You want to know who's hosed up Vegeta before? Yagirobe. That's what a Beacon engage might look like in that situation.

Yeah, sure. So, you'd agree that if what's said is "Golden Arrow just runs straight up to Vegeta, and punches him in his dumb face!", that's probably not a Directly Engage and is worth maybe going "Golden Arrow's just a normal dude, right? I think he's probably too strong/fast for that to play out in a good way; you're looking at probably eating a GM move on the basis of golden opportunity here, unless you meant there's some kind of trick to it?", instead of going "Awesome, roll directly engage to see if you're knocking him out"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I mean, I think a better way to handle a situation like that is to say "You can this guy is really tough and a direct assault isn't going to work without something spicy. How is Golden Arrow using his trick arrows (or that gadget he grabbed, or an opportunity from an ally, whatever) to level the playing field?" rather than just saying "Okay, Vegeta punches you and you Take A Powerful Blow. What do you do?"

I think you're conflating a failure of unified expectations at the table with the Beacon's ability to use basic moves. If people are working with the Beacon as someone who is approaching things in a clever direction to overcome a lack of raw strength... what's the problem?

e: Whoops, parsed those quotation marks incorrectly. I think we're overall in agreement, but that's not what Heliotrope was arguing.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
When do Labels reset to their original states (after being shifted left and right during a session)? I guess at the start of the next session?

I couldn't find this information in the book.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

lessavini posted:

When do Labels reset to their original states (after being shifted left and right during a session)? I guess at the start of the next session?

I couldn't find this information in the book.

They don't. That's Masks' whole gimmick.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

In Masks? They don't. Labels evolve over time as you shift them and they are shifted by others. Most playbooks get an advance to add +1 to a label and shuffle the totals as they like, which is about as close as it gets to a reset.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Labels never reset unless the person takes the level up that lets them rearrange them and add plus one.

In terms of the dangerous Beacon, if they are getting their danger level pushed up it’s probably because they’ve been hurting street level criminals or being especially brutal to normal threats. Putting them aside with a tornado or cosmic threat makes sense… But the Beacon can almost always provoke a person to “Fight Fair”. (Remember, adults are supposed to act childish as part of your principles.)

The goading could lead to a position where they can directly engage the threat… With a miss being a golden opportunity for the GM to put them back in their place.
Hell, not impressing, surprising or frightening their foe could lead to them being dismissed, with the star emperor deciding to retreat to fight the nova and send in a legion of mooks against the Beacon.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Labels never reset???

That... changes... everything.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Labels never reset unless the person takes the level up that lets them rearrange them and add plus one.

In terms of the dangerous Beacon, if they are getting their danger level pushed up it’s probably because they’ve been hurting street level criminals or being especially brutal to normal threats. Putting them aside with a tornado or cosmic threat makes sense… But the Beacon can almost always provoke a person to “Fight Fair”. (Remember, adults are supposed to act childish as part of your principles.)

The goading could lead to a position where they can directly engage the threat… With a miss being a golden opportunity for the GM to put them back in their place.
Hell, not impressing, surprising or frightening their foe could lead to them being dismissed, with the star emperor deciding to retreat to fight the nova and send in a legion of mooks against the Beacon.

Right, and I think that a nuanced take isn't a bad thing. Particularly in that even in that fail condition of the star emperor dropping a sick burn on the puny beacon and siccing an army on them... they still get to engage with the mechanics of their character. I bristle more at the thought that Beacons can and should just be noped out of being able to fight something out of their league. Particularly given that this is a superhero game and, like Halloween Jack said earlier, this is a genre where the underdog can and often does manage the impossible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised the Beacons power set options are so narrow because Booster Gold is an obvious inspiration, or should have been.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Still on Masks: don't all those emotional bits get clunky in play? I mean, Monsterhearts is similar and always ran smooth for us as it's really slim moves-wise. But Masks seems to have so many dials running in parallel (influence, conditions, team pool, team moves, etc).

How have your experience been in this respect?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised the Beacons power set options are so narrow because Booster Gold is an obvious inspiration, or should have been.

Booster is the Star.

Regarding monster hearts, I feel that giving players more options means you can do a lot more stuff which is intentional. You can provoke your teammates without inflicting conditions on them, or needing to turn them on. You can change who they are without shutting them down. You could also probably fighting with a lot less chance of killing them then if you were to lash out physically.
It takes a while to get everything working correctly but when you do, What’s the difference between an orchestra and a garage rock band. They both do different things but one gives you a lot more modularity.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Golden Bee posted:

Booster is the Star.

Regarding monster hearts, I feel that giving players more options means you can do a lot more stuff which is intentional. You can provoke your teammates without inflicting conditions on them, or needing to turn them on. You can change who they are without shutting them down. You could also probably fighting with a lot less chance of killing them then if you were to lash out physically.
It takes a while to get everything working correctly but when you do, What’s the difference between an orchestra and a garage rock band. They both do different things but one gives you a lot more modularity.
More options also mean more stuff to actually remember during play. I'm worried about that too.

But I may be ovethinking here, as I ran both Sagas of the Icelanders and Monsterhearts before and it was fine.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
I've seen someone say this in a discussion about Masks:

"I thought the Team Pool mechanics were wonky... RAW, it resets whenever " significant time passes", which can negate a lot of the playbook team moves that add it into the pool after sharing a celebration or whatnot."

Thoughts?

lessavini fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 22, 2019

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I've never had any issue with Team. Just use the resource whenever, it's not like Masks has an action economy.

You're supposed to roleplay, after all, not "farm" Team. Hell, it's easy to forget you're not supposed to do moves, you're supposed to do things narratively that then trigger moves. Team is not meant to be a pile of role enhancers the way boosts and advantages are in Fate/FAE, Team largely is a bonus for doing stuff you want to do narratively anyway.

Of course, this also depends on what the GM's interpretation of "significant" time is.

For example, a masks team could fight off a supervillain team, go celebrate the victory with a pizza, fly over to a different city with their hoverjet, and deal with another super villain team. In the previous sentence alone, there are 3 different points one I could theoretically reset team as a GM. After eating the pizza, while flying over to the other city, and after having dealt with the super villain team in the other city and then ending the issue.

Only the last one is somewhat set in stone (unless you end the issue mid-plot thread for some reason?). As for the others? I'd argue the importance is if it's meant to be narratively connected.

For example, the first supervillain team could have been a smokescreen for the supervillain team in a different city, meant to draw away heroes. The team could have been told in the 'down time' of the pizza party, via the Protege's mentor. In this case, it's a solid plot thread, and I would absolutely not reset Team just because flying over to a different city takes time narratively.

However, if the team then were to deal with this issue and then returning home triumphantly, it essentially creates a lull in the narrative. A point where you'd start a new plot thread. That is where I would personally reset team.

Long story short, my point is that significant time means significant. It doesn't mean "end of combat" or something of the sort.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That's a fair point. Also, in my experiences playing Masks, people will burn through the Team pool as quickly as it's gained, which seems reasonable to me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Any word on Voidheart Symphony?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

DoctorWhat posted:

Any word on Voidheart Symphony?

Still in development! I recently updated it with a few more arcana, another Rebel playbook, a proper game start procedure and some guidance on building vassals and castle-shards. Ongoing development will be posted at https://ufo-jay.itch.io/voidheart-symphony

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Was finally able to run a full, start-to-finish campaign of Apocalypse World in which "no more courtroom drama" had to be made an explicit rule.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Saguaro PI posted:

Was finally able to run a full, start-to-finish campaign of Apocalypse World in which "no more courtroom drama" had to be made an explicit rule.

What’s the point of continuing without the courtroom drama?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"We don't settle things by Thunderdome in this hardhold! We settle things by due process of law, then Thunderdome."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antivehicular posted:

"We don't settle things by Thunderdome in this hardhold! We settle things by due process of law, then Thunderdome."
Is there a Thunderdome of Appeals?

I'm setting up a Fellowship game, meanwhile - I'm the Overlord. Any exciting general tips on how to approach it?

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Antivehicular posted:

Thunderdome was instituted later, most of the community found the process far less confusing and angering than due process.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Ok, Masks again..

Would the Delinquent "power negation" power give me fictional positioning to temporarily negate another player's or a NPC's power under an Engage (take something from them) or Unleash move?

Seems fair to me but I would like to be sure.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

lessavini posted:

Ok, Masks again..

Would the Delinquent "power negation" power give me fictional positioning to temporarily negate another player's or a NPC's power under an Engage (take something from them) or Unleash move?

Seems fair to me but I would like to be sure.

Yes. It could be either one, or both, depending on how their Power Negation manifests and how to use them. If you do it by hitting pressure points in the body that disables power use, then you'd have to engage. If you do it by casting an anti-magic field in the area to stop anyone using magic inside of it, that'd probably be an Unleash. That kind of thing.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Saguaro PI posted:

Whatever for? I'm not sure I wanna live in an apocalypse without courtroom drama.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Ilor posted:

Whatever for? I'm not sure I wanna live in an apocalypse without courtroom drama.

It was agreed on by the group that while it was a fun one-time deal it would get old pretty fast if it became a recurring thing. Also the player of the character who was on trial was a pretty good sport about it but also felt a bit singled out and I wanted to avoid any chance of that in the future.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ilor posted:

"I'm out of order? Ever since the bombs fell the whole WORLD is out of order!"

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
I see all sample villain moves are purely narrative in Masks. How about something like this:

"Checkmate is all brains even in a fight. When you engage him, roll Superior instead of Danger".

Is it fair game?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

lessavini posted:

I see all sample villain moves are purely narrative in Masks. How about something like this:

"Checkmate is all brains even in a fight. When you engage him, roll Superior instead of Danger".

Is it fair game?

Masks has far too many stat replacers for that to work, imho.

Either you invalidate somebody's move pick (which you really shouldn't because most are at least somewhat specific as is) or you invalidate that villain move, which makes it pointless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've spent the last two days reading 180 chapters of My Hero Academia from issue 1 to issue 180. I have a shonen jump account so I'm limited to 100 chapters per day. just got to get to issue 232, which I can feasibly do this week. Then I move on to Doctor Stone.

The point is that Phoenix Academy seems like a fun setting for Masks. Though, it is funny to think how different it would be to set it in America. Set it in America and you lose so much considering how little Americans care about High School.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Covok posted:

I've spent the last two days reading 180 chapters of My Hero Academia from issue 1 to issue 180. I have a shonen jump account so I'm limited to 100 chapters per day. just got to get to issue 232, which I can feasibly do this week. Then I move on to Doctor Stone.

The point is that Phoenix Academy seems like a fun setting for Masks. Though, it is funny to think how different it would be to set it in America. Set it in America and you lose so much considering how little Americans care about High School.

Since Phoneix Academy is at least 50% Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, it seems like a natural fit?

Edit: also, lol @ america not caring about high school

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 8, 2019

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Funny, I always thought the Xavier Institute for gifted had half a dozen or so teenagers at any one time. But the Phoenix Academy set makes it feels like a frigging campus with hundreds of students. Perhaps the X-men animation is to blame.

I think I'd reduce it to a couple classes or something. This way we can explore clubs and cliques but don't get lost in the bazillion school relationships.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Masks has far too many stat replacers for that to work, imho.

Either you invalidate somebody's move pick (which you really shouldn't because most are at least somewhat specific as is) or you invalidate that villain move, which makes it pointless.
I suspected this was the case yeah. Perhaps making it a rare occurrence is no problem, but if it becomes frequent players will see their capabilities hurt.

Any tip for villain moves with a mechanical oomph? Perhaps something giving villains instant advantage (-1 to rolls) against certain players moves?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There was a time when Xavier's was just the X-Men as students, I think, but more recently it's been much more populous. Or anyway, it was before Marvel decided to wipe out most of the mutants with House of M. Not sure how they're doing at the moment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

lessavini posted:

Is it fair game?

AW does this as one of its examples, but it's for shading Read a Person into +weird, which I think is already a stat replacer for some books? It's not meant to be a challenge, just an expression of character - they're so deep into the weird weeds that you can't read them like a normal person.

If Checkmate is meant to be a minor threat on par with the characters this might work? But if you want to actually have a masterplansman threaten the whole team, then you can't just hope a stat replacer or a -1 here and there will do the job, because somebody can just yell a lot, roll boxcars, and win anyway. Maybe instead:

"Checkmate has planned for this. He's planned for you. You can't directly engage him when he doesn't want to be - he'll always have some counter or escape, at least until he's (angry/insecure/strike out anything that doesn't apply).

"But if you can make his plan fall apart in front of him, that'll get him to successively mark (hopeless/angry/insecure/strike out anything that doesn't apply)."

That makes Superior the best option for "engaging" with Checkmate by sussing out the plan and how you can disrupt it, but it leaves the door open for e.g. Impulse Unleashing His Powers to search every warehouse in Gotham at super-speed instead of solving the Riddler's ten-part rebus of evil.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

lessavini posted:

Is it fair game?

Villain moves aren't mechanical, but if you want something mechanical you can also give them a custom move. In the book it says that label swap moves should be tied to specific situations. Their example is "Leech: Powersink saps the metahuman abilities of everyone around him. When you directly engage Powersink in physical combat, roll + Mundane instead of + Danger."

So you could have a custom move for a specific NPC that makes it so that PCs have to use Superior to engage instead of Danger, but it shouldn't be something that's in effect all the time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Capfalcon posted:

Edit: also, lol @ america not caring about high school

In Japan, high schools are treated more like college. You have to take entrance exams and your high school placement is considered as important as your choice in university. That doesn't mean college is unimportant, of course. And, sure, there are private high schools, "good" schools, "bad schools", charter schools, etc in America. But, a lot of people in America just go to the high school assigned to their geographic region based on zoning. And, while people can see the value in a good high school, university is where most Americans worry about such things. And very few high schools have entrance exams in America. Most kind of view high school in America as a given, unless extraneous life factors arise. But, from my understanding, you could flunk the exams for every high school in Japan and end up hosed.

A lot of this is because high school is compulsory in America and is not compulsory in Japan.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 8, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You could always say when you directly engage this villains, you can’t choose to avoid their blows. List restriction is probably better than giving negatives because people will use influence and teamwork to make up the difference.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 9, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Golden Bee posted:

You could always say when you directly engage this billing, you can’t choose to avoid their blows. List restriction is probably better than giving negatives because people will use influence and teamwork to make up the difference.

Another way to handle this is to make sure the villain has is strong fictional positioning. If they get on the scene and Checkmate has his goons enacting his master plan, while his force field is up, and the bank is lifting off into the sky, well, there's a lot to do before you can "directly engage."

Covok posted:

In Japan, high schools are treated more like college. You have to take entrance exams and your high school placement is considered as important as your choice in university. That doesn't mean college is unimportant, of course. And, sure, there are private high schools, "good" schools, "bad schools", charter schools, etc in America. But, a lot of people in America just go to the high school assigned to their geographic region based on zoning. And, while people can see the value in a good high school, university is where most Americans worry about such things. And very few high schools have entrance exams in America. Most kind of view high school in America as a given, unless extraneous life factors arise. But, from my understanding, you could flunk the exams for every high school in Japan and end up hosed.

I'm aware of the cultural differences, but the idea of a prestigious private high school where success guarantees admission to the ranks of the elite isn't exactly uncommon in the US.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Capfalcon posted:

I'm aware of the cultural differences, but the idea of a prestigious private high school where success guarantees admission to the ranks of the elite isn't exactly uncommon in the US.

The US is just a lot sneakier about our caste system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Looking at running Pigsmoke for a burned-out academic or two. Looking over the rules, I don't see a lot of ways that people get burnout, is that accurate? Is it crazy to start them all with two burnout so that they have incentive to make a beeline for their fulfillment?