Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DO IT TO IT posted:

This level sucks and it took me way too long to upload it.

PWF-HFC-6WF

Thwomps out of nowhere? To the dojo with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I made a recreation of the Mario 3 world 3 Fortress.

M4Q-CJ3-MXG

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
Can you really only do local multiplayer by manually downloading levels then launching them from a different menu? That's really bizarre and disappointing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress short 3D World levels. The music is too good to be interrupted that quickly.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress short 3D World levels. The music is too good to be interrupted that quickly.

to be honest 3D World levels are just making me want a Switch version of 3D World more then anything

...gently caress that's Nintendo's plan all along isn't it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

to be honest 3D World levels are just making me want a Switch version of 3D World more then anything

Jokes on them, I always wanted that.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I finished my first level ever!

Remember the Path!
MGP-SV2-MTF

I don't know if it's clever or annoying but it was my first idea so :shrug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins posted:

Threw together my first level! It's bits and pieces of World 1-1s past, mashed up and such into something else. If you can guess where each bit comes from, you're a colossal dork.

I'll figure out a nice template image later.

eonwe posted:

I've played every level thats on the spreadsheet so far except:

The Kins Origins 20S-5HG-NWG

I think this level code might be wrong?
Hi, I'm a huge idiot and typoed the code before slumping off to bed! The actual code is 20S-5H6-NWG. Sorry about this!

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I made a level about protecting your flying boat from attackers.

Cruise Through the Clouds

WB3-R1V-LPF

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish there was a way to disable the Luigi popup after you die two times. I already know I can use extra parts goddamnit, let me be bad at videogames in peace.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

lunar detritus posted:

I wish there was a way to disable the Luigi popup after you die two times. I already know I can use extra parts goddamnit, let me be bad at videogames in peace.

He just wants to help

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Going for a Run
W6K-7YJ-WDG.

Getting back in the groove of making levels, tried to make a medium difficulty SMW speed run. Enjoy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finished another one.

Abyssal Adventure
9HJ-VK3-41G

I learned a lot of things doing this. You can't have check points when you have a goal, for example. Apparently 300 seconds was too short to reasonably play things. I wound up toning the difficulty way back, simplifying some of my traps.

Now I think I'm going to just play story mode and goon levels for the rest of the night.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Made my first level. Friend beat it after 45(!) tries. Unsure if we're still friends. At least the level ID is cool. It's pretty rough. You've been warned.

BNJ-W0W-0MG

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

J-Spot posted:

Kind of felt like two different levels. I liked the first half better but the second half could use some arrows or coins to use as sign posting toward the end because I was confused on where you wanted me to land at the top of the screen. I'm really bad at those upside down bits though.
thanks! yeah you're right, I liked the ideas of the laiktu's throwing coins to lead you to drop down, but that's vague

and it def was two levels. I just wanted to do a fun night level and didn't know it'd make the underground all upside-down but thought it was cool so I wanted to try making one

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

:same:

Undodog has a knack for picking things I hate and mashing them together.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Finished another one.

Abyssal Adventure
9HJ-VK3-41G

Fun level, for some reason it took me forever to actually hit the shot trap at the end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Undodog turns me instantly into an idiot.

"Oh don't get caught in a claw? No problem! Oh look a mushroom in a claw, I'll just jump up and get that real quick."

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Finished another one.

Abyssal Adventure
9HJ-VK3-41G

I learned a lot of things doing this. You can't have check points when you have a goal, for example. Apparently 300 seconds was too short to reasonably play things. I wound up toning the difficulty way back, simplifying some of my traps.

Now I think I'm going to just play story mode and goon levels for the rest of the night.

That was fun but there's no way I would have replayed it if I had died on the way up.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Plank Walker posted:

I just want to make and play endless DK '94 levels

Now I wish Nintendo would do this. I loved the moveset/gameplay in that game. Easily the best Donkey Kong game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I finished my first level ever!

Remember the Path!
MGP-SV2-MTF

I don't know if it's clever or annoying but it was my first idea so :shrug:

So there's a few problems here. The first is that I didn't understand the concept behind the level for my first two attempts. Using the enemies as a "code" is a solid idea, but it's tough to communicate in Mario Maker. It was your title that clued me in, but remember that not everyone playing speaks English. If you encountered this level but it was named "コードを覚えて" would you be able to figure it out? Removing the other background enemies so the code doesn't appear to just be part of the background, repeating the code several times so it's clearly something important, and doing something to draw attention to it like placing stars around it might help with this, but I'm not sure it would be completely effective.

Your method of controlling the player after the decision isn't great. The platforms are slow and because you need to hide the results I spent a lot of time on your level waiting around. And then punishing with death is always going to annoy a player. A better approach would be to send them backward.

The water at the bottom of the stage hinders your goal since I wound up in the water after a bad choice and could survive indefinitely. Just have it be a pit if you want to kill the player.

That said, the layout wasn't terrible and being able to take an idea and implement it is half the battle. So keep trying!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Imaginary Friend posted:

Made my first level. Friend beat it after 45(!) tries. Unsure if we're still friends. At least the level ID is cool. It's pretty rough. You've been warned.

BNJ-W0W-0MG
It wouldn't be that bad of a level if you'd simply put a door at the end leading back to the beginning. As for me I got to 94 coins and decided I couldn't be bothered trying again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

That was fun but there's no way I would have replayed it if I had died on the way up.

I was designing with an intention of a checkpoint at the bottom. Then with the entire layout done and the traps all designed I found out I couldn't have a goal and a checkpoint. :smith:

Defenestrategy posted:

Fun level, for some reason it took me forever to actually hit the shot trap at the end.

Worked perfectly in testing at the location ever time. Then it regularly broke when I did the whole level test for the upload...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 29, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You know, I was under the impression that the jobs in story mode would include actually building stages. Apparently not :smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have made the Zelda 1 first dungeon in 3d world style but need to make it a bit easier

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Whew! Finished my first course, I think I got a little overambitious in the idea phase, but I hope someone has fun with it! It's got chain chomps. In pipes. Perhaps this is where shipments from the Chomp Factory end up.

The Chomp Pipes
P9J-C0K-G3G

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It would be neat if we could form clubs or groups similar to what you do on Xbox live.

That way we would have a feed of our group uploading levels, rating them, beating records, etc.

Alas, Nintendo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I made a sequel to one of my Mario Maker 1 courses.

Revenge of Dr. Molenaut
1CD-2V7-TJG

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
A shadow rises in the desert, can Mario and friends stop its ascension?
A lone pyramid stands in the desert, filled with traps and a dark secret.

Perilous Pyramid
ID: YRR-XL0-68G

(It's been a while since I made levels for SMM1, hopefully this is good.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I was designing with an intention of a checkpoint at the bottom. Then with the entire layout done and the traps all designed I found out I couldn't have a goal and a checkpoint. :smith:

At least that explains why the no-jump stages in the single player don't have a checkpoint even though they sorely need them. :v:

The Silver Snail posted:

Whew! Finished my first course, I think I got a little overambitious in the idea phase, but I hope someone has fun with it! It's got chain chomps. In pipes. Perhaps this is where shipments from the Chomp Factory end up.

The Chomp Pipes
P9J-C0K-G3G

I liked this one! For having so many pipes I'm surprised by how easy it was to pick the right ones to go into.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I having a stupid problem placing just a koopa shell in maker mode, I can do a beetle or a spiny shell but not an empty koopa shell. Am I being an idiot?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this is goty

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 29, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
P3M-NRR-7HG

A level based around bouncing off of enemies being suspended by twisters. It turns out that those jumps are pretty hard to make so I just embraced it and made a hard level. It's pretty short though.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Random Stranger posted:

So there's a few problems here. The first is that I didn't understand the concept behind the level for my first two attempts. Using the enemies as a "code" is a solid idea, but it's tough to communicate in Mario Maker. It was your title that clued me in, but remember that not everyone playing speaks English. If you encountered this level but it was named "コードを覚えて" would you be able to figure it out? Removing the other background enemies so the code doesn't appear to just be part of the background, repeating the code several times so it's clearly something important, and doing something to draw attention to it like placing stars around it might help with this, but I'm not sure it would be completely effective.

Your method of controlling the player after the decision isn't great. The platforms are slow and because you need to hide the results I spent a lot of time on your level waiting around. And then punishing with death is always going to annoy a player. A better approach would be to send them backward.

The water at the bottom of the stage hinders your goal since I wound up in the water after a bad choice and could survive indefinitely. Just have it be a pit if you want to kill the player.

That said, the layout wasn't terrible and being able to take an idea and implement it is half the battle. So keep trying!

Thanks for the critique. You're absolutely right about the slow platforms not being exciting. I added those red Parakoopas to the second set in order to jazz it up but I wasn't thrilled with the results. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the other background enemies, though? At the start I showed the Koopa in the pipe box, and then the first two [?] boxes are above a piped Goomba and Koopa. The latter rewards the player with a mushroom, while the box above the Goomba just has another Goomba to indicate that it was the wrong choice.

I also agree about the water. I love the SMB3 Forest aesthetic with the pipes but I couldn't figure out how to remove the water entirely on the forest theme.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

lunar detritus posted:

At least that explains why the no-jump stages in the single player don't have a checkpoint even though they sorely need them. :v:

I liked this one! For having so many pipes I'm surprised by how easy it was to pick the right ones to go into.

Thank you! My original intention for the smaller rooms near the end was to have it be more maze/ puzzle-like, where you would enter only the pipes the chomps come from, but in the end, I thought that might not jive with the first half of the course, so I just used coins to keep the flow focused. Laying all those pipes took a lot of time, so I'm looking forwards to playing more goon levels tomorrow!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the other background enemies, though? At the start I showed the Koopa in the pipe box, and then the first two [?] boxes are above a piped Goomba and Koopa. The latter rewards the player with a mushroom, while the box above the Goomba just has another Goomba to indicate that it was the wrong choice.

I didn't pick up on that at all. Iconographic communication is hard and it's very easy to misinterpret things.

Imaginary Friend posted:

BNJ-W0W-0MG

First of all, quit making up cool codes. That said, the level at that obviously fake code was pretty good except for the lack of a reset at the end which it desperately needed. Maybe restrict the time a bit more to add the pressure back that the reset takes away.

Salastine posted:

Perilous Pyramid
ID: YRR-XL0-68G

Good level. I liked how well done the use of the theme was. Right amount of challenge, too.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 29, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Just being on Switch and with Toadette added would be enough to get me to double dip.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
me: ive played every level on the spreadsheet so far, better check again to see if anyone has added any levels in the past few hours

oh...the level list has tripled lmao

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

New level: Blackout Basement
74R-8PD-DHF

My tester from last time is asleep so hopefully this is still good :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Legend of Zelda - Level 1
WGP-P4N-1SF

If you don't know where the keys are, look up a map of the original game. You can also skip two keys.