Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

James Baud posted:

Here you go, presumed Prince George person!

TELUS investing $150 million to connect Prince George to gigabit-enabled fibre optic network, dramatically increasing wireless and Internet speeds throughout the region

I'm not sure whether this spending will sort out the whole "Prince George only has internet via Shaw's backbone on a branch from Kelowna subject to a single cut" by separately linking to Telus' Alberta stuff, but it probably does.

Wow that's insane, I know in metro regions Telus' cost per home passed to run fiber is like 1500 dollars (pretty high), kudos to Telus for dropping the money on this because this would definitely be more than that. (keeping in mind home passed doesn't necessarily mean paying subscriber)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
37,000 dwellings in PG, $7000 per home. I think that $150 mil number is inflated for advertising purposes. The majority of utilities are on poles, maybe 20% underground work, underground should already have right of way conduits for DSL / Cable. I really don't see how they're spending $150mil unless they're going way out in the boonies too.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 9, 2019

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Nitr0 posted:

37,000 dwellings in PG, $7000 per home. I think that $150 mil number is inflated for advertising purposes. The majority of utilities are on poles, maybe 20% underground work, underground should already have right of way conduits for DSL / Cable. I really don't see how they're spending $150mil unless they're going way out in the boonies too.

Telus averages about ~1400 dollars per home passed in Calgary metro, so I'm assuming that 150 million number includes surrounding areas and beefing up their existing runs to interior BC.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

How topical!

Telus CEO seen carrying large shears and whistling innocently

https://www.princegeorgematters.com/local-news/shaw-reports-large-scale-service-outage-in-prince-george-across-northern-bc-1499572

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Shaw released their 2019 student rates and... they’re poo poo!

$60/month for Internet 100
$80/month for Internet 300

So basically the same lousy deals they offered everyone who’s student plan expired in April because they changed student rates to nine month terms.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So how are robellus gonna gently caress us now that they aren't charging $7 for caller Id and 5 cents a megabyte?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"The cartel uh... the cartel, finds a way."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want carriers to stop offering caller ID to people over 60 because a robocaller is spoofing my number so I get about 5-6 calls a day that goes to voicemail and it is always some old going “hello? I am returning your call..” jfc I want voice calling to just die already

No one younger will call back anyone who doesn’t leave a real voicemail.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
If you're with a CLEC that uses Bell ULL's expect price increases... The margins are going to be super thin or non existent.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

bigmandan posted:

If you're with a CLEC that uses Bell ULL's expect price increases... The margins are going to be super thin or non existent.

I love this, still no reasonable rates for TPIA's on the fiber network, so lets jack rates on the DSL. This is your CRTC in action boys and girls.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

"The cartel uh... the cartel, finds a way."

That's just it, they're being nice by offering us what the rest of the world has at only 5 times the price.

What are they cooking up to gently caress us with? they're waiting around the corner and they're going to hit us in the face with something, but what is it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For an extra three five dollars a month, they'll raise the mb limit for MMS from 1 to 3!!!

Enh?

Enh?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Nitr0 posted:

I love this, still no reasonable rates for TPIA's on the fiber network, so lets jack rates on the DSL. This is your CRTC in action boys and girls.

My ISP's response: https://www.mnsi.net/BellLoopIncrease

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gently caress bell. Really. gently caress bell.

Back to FTTH chat, I live in the small bedroom community Coaldale (9K) just outside Lethbridge (100K). Every single home in Coaldale, new build, old build, whatever, has FTTH. Taber (10k) 30 minutes away also has FTTH everywhere.

Lethbridge does not. Medicine hat (55K) does not.

It is an interesting business plan.

I must say, after having FTTH though, it's absolutely rock solid and I've never been down at all in the 2+ years since I've had it. Biggest issue I've ever had was to renew an IP lease.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Running new infrastructure is significantly more effort and expense in more populated and built up areas. Every provider I've seen does this; over here MTS offers FTTP in a bunch of smaller communities, but other than the brand new developments in the south end of the city it's still DSL here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Lethbridge does not. Medicine hat (55K) does not.

It is an interesting business plan.

Now just imagine if it was still AGT :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm super annoyed that Blais under the conservatives championed the consumer while the Liberals installed a yes man who seems to just roll over to the oligopoly. This is contrary to what I'd expect from the Liberals with regards to consumers vs corporations and yet here we are.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm super annoyed that Blais under the conservatives championed the consumer while the Liberals installed a yes man who seems to just roll over to the oligopoly. This is contrary to what I'd expect from the Liberals with regards to consumers vs corporations and yet here we are.

I've only known them as the Bay Street lawyer stereotype. :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coxswain Balls posted:

Running new infrastructure is significantly more effort and expense in more populated and built up areas. Every provider I've seen does this; over here MTS offers FTTP in a bunch of smaller communities, but other than the brand new developments in the south end of the city it's still DSL here.
But that's the point - afaik they haven't at provided FTTH in even the new developments in Lethbridge/Medicine Hat or in residential areas that are not mature or "built up" - where, and I'll admit I'm a layperson, but I think there would be good support in the new McMansion neighborhoods with 5K people that would be easy to entice. Instead, in these small towns they are putting it in the new subdivisions and even retrofitted the old residential areas, even 100+ year old downtowns. I understand if they are doing an "all or nothing" approach - easier/faster to do 10K people instead of 100K, but it's just peculiar I think.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

MTS was laying fibre in small communities because the copper there was so old and lovely it just made more sense to do fibre instead of new copper

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Rogers is giving the dog a thorough... rogering tonight, apparently.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

I know, and in the middle of SGDQ, too!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bieeanshee posted:

Your internet being wonky too? TekSavvy is being spotty tonight. I usually never have problems this early.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm with Start, and mine's gone down at half past six, twenty five after eight, and again at five to nine. Went to DSLreports between outages and some guy from Ottawa said he was getting it too. I'd love to know what's going on.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/startca/status/1144775138317144065

Rogers twitter account is busy as a bee as well.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I hate that somehow I have enough trust in Rogers to blame my own setup and spend a half hour diagnosing up the router > modem chain before finally accepting what I already knew

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

8ender posted:

I hate that somehow I have enough trust in Rogers to blame my own setup and spend a half hour diagnosing up the router > modem chain before finally accepting what I already knew

You are a fool, almost as much so as the man who typed out the time in words

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The fibre line south must have been cut or damaged early this morning. For about 12 hours today we had barely any internet connectivity or long distance phone calls. Most businesses were cash only all day.

For the amount we're paying, you'd think we'd have a slightly better connection, but then again that's a lot of line to make it redundant. What else can you do? Satellite backup?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Cell Backup if it's not on the same line. But then again that's usually used for PoS system failover.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah everything including cell is through that. When it's down we go back to what I think is the old pre-fibre "line" which includes microwave.

Oh well gives me an excuse to get some poo poo done outside.

Also, another thing to point to when providers are trying to get us to put all our data in "the cloud".

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

odiv posted:

Also, another thing to point to when providers are trying to get us to put all our data in "the cloud".

I really should get round to starting the selfhosted apps thread. I had an outage the other day and barely even noticed as I was watching Plex at the time.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fibre was loving cut again today, outage lasting almost the entire workday. They figure vandalism again.

I probably wouldn't get anywhere asking Virgin Mobile for a credit, but almost no internet connectivity for two days in a month is a bit ridiculous, and there's no loving way the local phone company is going to be giving out rebates.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You’d be surprised how fragile the infrastructure is. If someone really wants to cause mass scale damage to a network it wouldn’t be that hard

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're possibly a decent person to ask - are there any decent (open/available) mesh networking implementations that could actually be viably used for general end-user applications in the event of deliberate backbone shutdowns?

I haven't really looked at this in a while but a quick survey suggests most momentum is currently attached to Thread.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Lots of half baked projects and pie in the sky dreams. Not possible with current technology adoptions and fcc / ic rules.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like CRTC released their decision on wholesale which smacked Bells arguments pretty hard.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32480790-Telecom-Order-CRTC-2019-288-New-Rates
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-288.htm

Should be cheaper wholesale rates, although doesn't look like it impacts FTTH.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CBC story on the CRTC decison
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-lowers-wholesale-broadband-rates-1.5248892

And now today, as expected Bhell :negative: about it, because they can't keep making usury like profit margins on independents.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-canada-internet-1.5252419

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 20, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pity the billionaire.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

CBC story on the CRTC decison
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-lowers-wholesale-broadband-rates-1.5248892

And now today, as expected Bhell :negative: about it, because they can't keep making usury like profit margins on independents.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-canada-internet-1.5252419

I love how Bell was able to announce the scale back within a day of the decision. It’s like they already had identified areas that weren’t going to be profitable to roll out and were sitting on the info waiting for a good time to dump it. TPIA pricing has nothing to do with this, it’s all bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Cogeco is "disappointed" with CRTC ruling: http://corpo.cogeco.com/cca/en/pres...ernet-services/
Videotron is "concerned" with CRTC ruling: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-886597982.html

The poor poor billionaires.