Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like these two:

https://twitter.com/Not_shax/status/1144168706173308928

For those who know nothing about honeybees: “dancing” is a way they communicate were they’re found flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you guys all piss and moan about the bees but the investor hornet's returns have been better than ever

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I guess this is more capitalist dystopia, but:

The Memphis hospital suing its own workers for unpaid medical bills

quote:

From 2014 through 2018, the hospital system affiliated with the United Methodist Church has filed more than 8,300 lawsuits against patients, including its own workers. After winning judgments, it has sought to garnish the wages of more than 160 Methodist workers and has actually done so in more than 70 instances over that time, according to an MLK50-ProPublica analysis of Shelby Ccounty general sessions court records, online docket reports and case files.

Some of the debts were accrued while the employees worked at Methodist; others predated their time there. The figures do not include debts incurred by onetime Methodist employees who have since moved on.

quote:

This year, a Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare housekeeper left her job just three hours into her shift and caught a bus to Shelby county general sessions court.

Wearing her black and gray uniform, she had a different kind of appointment with her employer: the hospital was suing her for unpaid medical bills.
In 2017, the non-profit hospital system based in Memphis sued the woman for the cost of hospital stays to treat chronic abdominal pain she experienced before the hospital hired her.

She now owes Methodist more than $23,000, including around $5,800 in attorney’s fees.
It’s surreal, she said, to be sued by the organization that pays her $12.25 an hour.

“You know how much you pay me. And the money you’re paying, I can’t live on,” said the housekeeper, who asked that her name not be used for fear that the hospital would fire her for talking to a reporter.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My favorite part is the last sentence because we're all completely desensitized to the whole "If you tell the press the truth about what we do, we'll have to fire you."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao if you think they didnt just immediately breach hipaa and cross-reference medical records and employment records to work out who to fire

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lmao capitalism is a virus and we will all die from it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

American capitalism. Don't bring us euros into this, our capitalistic systems werent the ones who decided that the rich didn't need to pay tax.

:agesilaus:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kobayashi posted:

This makes me wonder, who should I read for Marxist analysis of capitalism in the advertising age? I’m slowly slogging my way through the classics but I’m wondering if there are more contemporary works that map contemporary developments to more fundamental concepts.

gramsci is good, his concept of hegemony is a good intro to cultural capitalism which helps make a lot of sense of the ads

zizek specifically talks a lot about contemporary advertising, but i don't think he has any books specifically about that. he touches on it in Living In The End Times, i think

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

American capitalism. Don't bring us euros into this, our capitalistic systems werent the ones who decided that the rich didn't need to pay tax.

uh you might want to look into that

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
capitalism is wrong no matter where it is

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

this is bait but it's high-quality bait

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Capitalism With American Characteristics

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Peanut President posted:

Capitalism With American Characteristics

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

V. Illych L. posted:

gramsci is good, his concept of hegemony is a good intro to cultural capitalism which helps make a lot of sense of the ads

zizek specifically talks a lot about contemporary advertising, but i don't think he has any books specifically about that. he touches on it in Living In The End Times, i think

Ty

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i actually can't find it on a quick browse of my copy of End Times, but zizek does write a little about this in almost all of his books as i can recall (that i've read anyway)

if you have a good tolerance for high theory, baudrillard also writes about this from a more postmodernist left-wing perspective

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Kobayashi posted:

This makes me wonder, who should I read for Marxist analysis of capitalism in the advertising age? I’m slowly slogging my way through the classics but I’m wondering if there are more contemporary works that map contemporary developments to more fundamental concepts.

John Patrick Leary's new Keywords: The New Language of Capitalism is pretty good. Raymond Williams's original Keywords is good too, but Leary's book (obviously) hits much closer to home.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:blastu: :eurovision:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

if you have a good tolerance for high theory, baudrillard also writes about this from a more postmodernist left-wing perspective

in addition to Baudrillard, Debord's society of the spectacle lays a lot of the groundwork for how we think about this poo poo today

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I can't seem to find an English-language source for it, but hackers discovered that a cheap Thermomix-ripoff sold by Lidl in France doesn't only run on an ancient Android version with no security updates whatsoever, but also has a non-documented microphone hidden in it nobody was telling the buyers about

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I found an English article https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Smart-Monsieur-Cuisine-Connect-mixer-from-Lidl-France-has-secret-microphone
e: this article doesn't actually load, but from what I'm reading in Spanish language articles about the thing, it is extremely loving popular, having sold 100,000 between May 30 and June 17, and runs on an old version of Android from 2017 (not ancient, but not great) with a hidden microphone. The microphones aren't enabled by default, but can be hacked to be enabled. The company says the microphone was included to open up voice command options in the future.

im on the net me boys has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Jun 30, 2019

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia:

im on the net me boys posted:

this article doesn't actually load
because like, why would you want your website to have even the most basic functionality? gently caress! :psypop:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

redsniper posted:

the most basic functionality

i'm sure the ad trackers loaded fine

lagerstrom
Apr 25, 2008
x

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Smart mixer from Lidl France has ‘secret’ microphone
Marie Turcan / @TurcanMarie / Twitter The Monsieur Cuisine Connect Lidl has come in for controversy after a 'secret' microphone was discovered

A new “smart” kitchen mixer that has just hit supermarket shelves in France is causing controversy after it was discovered to have a “secret” microphone that could be vulnerable to hackers.

The Monsieur Cuisine Connect, a low-cost "smart" (meaning, "able to connect to the internet" ) kitchen mixer designed to rival models such as the Thermomix, has been sold by Lidl in France since June 3.

The highly-anticipated gadget is designed and made in China by SilverCrest, and sold by Lidl in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and the UK. Costing just €359 compared to the Thermomix TM6 at €1,299, it was met with impatient crowds on its first day in France.

— Monsieur Cuisine Connect (@connect_cuisine) June 3, 2019
But it has since emerged that the mixer is equipped with a microphone, a fact not mentioned anywhere on the packaging, labels, or user manuals; an investigation by technology and science network Numerama revealed.

Manufacturers included the microphone into the design as a way to prepare the device for potential voice controls in future, along similar lines to Amazon’s artificial intelligence voice control system, Alexa.

Manufacturers envisage that Alexa could one day connect to the device too.

Currently, the microphone is not activated or connected, and cannot be switched on remotely by Lidl. However, its software - which would be used should voice controls be brought in - could leave the microphone vulnerable to malicious hacking, critics have said.

This is because the mixer works in tandem with a tablet that uses an older version of the Android operating system, for which the final security update was rolled out in October 2017, Lidl confirmed.

But all connected “smart” devices must receive regular security update “patches”, which protect them against hacking.

As a result, even though the Monsieur Cuisine Connect microphone device itself is dormant, its software could potentially be exploited and used to activate the microphone remotely, thereby giving hackers a recording line into people’s homes.

Michel Biero, buying director at Lidl France, said: “When developers launched Monsieur Cuisine, they planned for the device to be voice activated, and eventually to be connected to Alexa, but [currently] the microphone is ‘totally inactive’.”

He added: “Risks of hacking exist, but in the same way as for any tablet or device.”

However, critics maintain that the lack of security updates for the tablet software mean it is less protected than other devices.

The issue is becoming more common as more devices become ‘smart’ and connected. At the beginning of the year, tech giant Google came under fire after its Nest Secure alarm system was found to have a microphone installed, without having informed consumers.

This was discovered in February, after Google announced a new update that would allow the system to be voice-controlled.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This unironically owns.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
have we had our first vr death yet? it feels like its only a matter of time

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gum posted:

have we had our first vr death yet? it feels like its only a matter of time

You don't actually die in real life if you die in the game, that's just a movies thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

more important question if you die in real life do you die in the game

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

more important question if you die in real life do you die in the game

No, eventually your account gets hacked by Chinese spammers and used to sell boner pills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Powershift posted:

No, eventually your account gets hacked by Chinese spammers and used to sell boner pills.
well thats a relief

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kitfox88 posted:

lmao capitalism is a virus and we will all die from it

I hope you're not putting that in the con column

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1145308514665095171

quote:

Walmart wanted to understand how candidates respond when they have to prioritize different work or how they communicate with co-workers in times of conflict, said Michael Casale, a cognitive neuroscientist who is Strivr’s chief science officer. Walmart managers completed real-life performance assessments for hundreds of candidates that took early VR evaluations to verify accuracy and build the first iteration of the algorithm that scores workers, he said. For now, scores are based on how workers answer questions in VR.

But Strivr and Walmart are moving toward integrating a worker’s body movement and attention data, collected in VR, which early research shows gives a more accurate and complete picture of future performance and a candidate’s soft skills, said Mr. Casale. That data isn’t yet used in scoring, he said.

you were too slow in taking down that active shooter bobby, guess you’re not management material

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

more like the active shooter was too slow in taking me down because im still alive

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We're concerned about the way you immediately ran down the produce aisle screaming "Kill me first!" while crying in what appeared to be your first ever experience of true joy. For insurance purposes Walmart would prefer gunfire to occur near high ticket items with lower turnover, such as electronics. Better luck next time.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Splicer posted:

We're concerned about the way you immediately ran down the produce aisle screaming "Kill me first!" while crying in what appeared to be your first ever experience of true joy.
Don't doxx me. <:mad:>

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Crusader posted:

you were too slow in taking down that active shooter bobby, guess you’re not management material

mom said all those hours playing counterstrike would never be of use. joke's on her!

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Prav posted:

i'm sure the ad trackers loaded fine

:trumppop:

Man it's true though. Everything is slow buggy garbage. "Omg did you know we use cookies?" Sucks thinking about the internet we could have and instead it's just.... this.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

redsniper posted:

Sucks thinking about the internetworld we could have and instead it's just.... this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

redsniper posted:

Sucks thinking