Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Jungle Crawl
1HS - 1K0 - T1H

So, I do not know if it was intended, but you can get some big time saves by taking hits. (first person to find a way to do that on the flying ant portion probably has a forever world record) Really liked the 30 coin. I was disappointed I didn't get anything for killing the creepers (that you aren't supposed to) I had 2 bugs, the first is that in the area with the 2 clear pipes and 2 spinys, if you fall in it water, it seems to be a soft-lock, even an invisible block by the first clear pipe should fix this, the second was in the vertical section with the clouds, one of the ant troopers climbed onto the piranha creeper at the top... this caused... issues. Keep up the good work!

Origins 20S-5H6-NWG.
Was only able to recognize sm1 3 and world starter levels. I am probably just dumb. I was unable to check out any of the bonuses... due to being bad at terrorism. Good stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some feedback on this stage? I'm really proud of it and hoping everything works as intended :shobon:

Jungle Crawl
1HS - 1K0 - T1H

I worked hard on it!! It's a standard course like most of em I make, but I tried to use a lot of 3D World exclusive elements.

I liked it. I'd say that some of the longer piranha creepers take a while to retract and they seem timed such that playing normally you'll be forced to wait? The midpoint area could do with being 1 block higher so the water doesn't get in the way, unless that's intentional.

fake edit: You can outspeed the second one if you go at max speed and I outsped the one after the checkpoint by tanking a hit instead of taking the ant ride though that feels kinda gross

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough! Was trying to think of a way to keep players riding the flying ants and due to there being water no matter what on forest stages falling into a pit didn't seem like a good option so had to make due with something else (that fit the theme I was going for anyway.)

As for the plants making you wait I couldn't figure out how to get them pre-extended so they're retracting in time for players to arrive so there is a little bit of waiting for them to pass as I wanted to give them enough room to be seen. I'll have to poke around more at those issues!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

cheesetriangles posted:

It needs to be at least one screen wide and totally sealed from top to bottom or left to right if you are doing vertical. That means all the way from the floor of the level to the roof of the level not just creating a sealed room.

Ahh, yeah, that was is. Thanks!
A bit counter-intuitive but I'll take it. I needed the space anyway.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

1'00"384 on Jungle Crawl I am the master speedrunner eat it other guy

God I started this as just "can you beat the cycle if you go at max speed" and now far too many restarts later I'm the world record holder for Jungle Crawl

The last room feels like it could be optimized more but I'm not sure how

Congratulations on making a real good speedrunning level if possibly inadvertently considering the multiple damage boosts I used

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pyramid Panic
F1Q-RS7-GVF

This is my first level attempt. Was trying to make a Pyramid, tomb raiding kind of thing. Each room has a P Switch puzzle, basically making it across a room while leaving enough coins to make it back across once the coins become the ground.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Got a new SMW underground level. A bit less traditional than normal but not super difficult.

1HL-D06-GVF

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Procrastine posted:

1'00"384 on Jungle Crawl I am the master speedrunner eat it other guy
1'00"469 im comin' for you, also sorry about how we're breaking your poor level coolguy.
59"874 and there's a few frames to improve.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 29, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Easy aesthetically themed level

P5V-CC0-J3G

Shouldn't be too hard for a beginner player, with room for exploration for the more adventurous.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Basic level that I workshopped last night while sorta drunk. Still trying to get used to putting myself in the right creative mindset for designing levels.

It has some parts that are a bit hard and one bit that requires good timing, but otherwise it's really short. No real coherent design philosophy behind the whole thing, it's mostly various little gimmicks bolted to each other.

53Y-1NC-78G

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 29, 2019

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I tried making a very frantic level. I thought it turned out pretty well, but I fear people playing endless will just skip it:

0ML - TM0 - BPG

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Here's a WIP of an interperetation of the first three casette rooms from Celeste. Wouldn't mind some feedback before I finish it. FJC it's 2:30AM.

Celeste Tape Rooms

W86-1WR-2WG

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I decided to try out the competitive multiplayer and ended up spending half the day on it. It's an absolute mess and I love it. Lag was frequent, but usually it was minor enough to not cause problems. I had 2 or 3 runs I can remember that stood out as unplayably slow, though surprisingly it still felt like I could control it well if I had the patience.

I still had the time to port over one of my old stages from Mario Maker 1 though:
Podoboo Peril
3VP-FHN-VWG

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
played one of the popular maps last night and i had a goddamn super ball from mario land, even had the muisc and mario went grey. gently caress doki doki style, i bet we get a gameboy style dlc.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Vikar Jerome posted:

played one of the popular maps last night and i had a goddamn super ball from mario land, even had the muisc and mario went grey. gently caress doki doki style, i bet we get a gameboy style dlc.

We aren't getting a SML1 style: If they make the koopas explode, Nintendo's HQ is getting burned down, if they don't, Nintendo's HQ is getting burned down.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I made a level. It is a mountain/cave adventure with moles.

3GM-C3K-C0G

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Tnega posted:

1'00"469 im comin' for you, also sorry about how we're breaking your poor level coolguy.
59"874 and there's a few frames to improve.

Congratulations, can't wait for the SummoningSalt video on this :v:

Anyway do y'all like remakes of first levels? Because here's a remake of a first level:

5PB-PKC-FVF

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I had a go at some of the levels from the spreadsheet but I'll be damned if making courses isn't super fun.

Submitted this one to the sheet:
Break the Brick Blockade
5RF-QM6-FLG

Simple platforming, some bullet bill manipulation, a car section and a lot of crates.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Back shortly after Mario Maker 1 came out, I developed* Goons Make Mario, a website for sharing goon-made levels. It used the Miiverse posts that would automatically be created when you uploaded a level to scrape the level code, preview image, and title. All you had to do to share a level was paste the Miiverse URL into the website, and it would create the need little level pages and an easy copy-paste thing so you could easily share the level on the forums. It was great because you had the little preview image, title, and level code, all with zero typos and very little effort. Eventually Nintendo made the bookmarks site, which ended up being better and so mine died, which is fine.

Then MM2 comes out, there is no bookmarks site, and Miiverse is dead so I can't find a public place to scrape level data from. I could set it up so you enter everything manually, but I'm not sure that's really any better than just using the spreadsheet in the OP. I see codes posted in the thread, none of them have images, and there's already been a number of typos, and it's frustrating that I can't fix it.

If anyone has any good ideas, I'm willing to put in some development effort, but I guess our best option is to wait for Nintendo to make another bookmarks-style website.

*If you are really old, you may also remember my long-dead Goon WiiDB for sharing original Wii friend codes.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I finally finished my first level. It's the story of Mario doing his thing and invading Bowser's castle... only something else is going on there.

Night of the Living Drybones
K72-DXW-68G

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ColdPie posted:

*If you are really old, you may also remember my long-dead Goon WiiDB for sharing original Wii friend codes.

Holy poo poo.

I am really old :corsair:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Finally done with my first SMM2 level, the Thwomp Swamp [WLY-695-SKF]
A medium forest-themed level with see-saws & thwomps.

A bit of self-critique:
I tend to be very big on secrets, hidden passageways and stuff like that.
As a result, my levels tend to feel very cramped, which isn't exactly practical in a platformer.
There might be some slight pacing issues but only if you decide to take a detour.

I also tend to struggle a bit with enemy placement, finding the right kind of balance between a cakewalk and a challenge,
difficulty curves, that sort of thing.

I did manage to put some restrictions on myself, focusing only on a couple elements.

---

Anyway, gonna be playing some of your levels now.
The creation process is a very taxing experience for a creatively bereft person.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

BowieFett posted:

I made a level about protecting your flying boat from attackers.

Cruise Through the Clouds

WB3-R1V-LPF

I really liked the concept of this one! The mole section was pretty nuts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had been planning a stage based on using Thwomps to launch the player on a see-saw, but I couldn't get it to work properly and the launch height was pitiful.

Avirosb posted:

Finally done with my first SMM2 level, the Thwomp Swamp [WLY-695-SKF]
A medium forest-themed level with see-saws & thwomps.

I liked the stage, but if I had one complaint it was that the end with the on/off switch didn't really match the theming of your level.

I don't mind having a lot of side areas since I always poke around levels to see what I can find. You might consider using some special effects to indicate to the player that they found a bonus; you did it once with the 1-up but nowhere else that I got into.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Suspicious Cook posted:

Night of the Living Drybones
K72-DXW-68G

The boss being replaced mid-way was a neat idea.
Wasn't really sure how to defeat it so I let the level do its thing and managed to clear it with 18 Nintendo-seconds remaining.

pray for my aunt posted:

Break the Brick Blockade
5RF-QM6-FLG

The first part really reminded me of a regular Mario level.
The car section not so much. That's not to say it was bad ;)

BabyRyoga posted:

Easy aesthetically themed level
P5V-CC0-J3G

I died once which, yeah, seems about right given the theme.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is crazy how wonderful and amazing this game is. GOTY? Nope. GOTC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This game was tailor-made for Parents and kids. :)

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Random Stranger posted:

I liked the stage, but if I had one complaint it was that the end with the on/off switch didn't really match the theming of your level.

I agree. Something to consider in future.
My first idea was to have a big Thwomp (with attached parachute) chase you to the ? block but it would just outright destroy it on impact,
which sucks.

I could have Mario chased by a regular Thwomp while dodging the occasional pit of water but it just felt kinda basic, y'know?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I really wanna sing the praises of story mode in this game. It's heads and tails above what I was expecting after reviews which I think all must've just beelined the central castle as fast as possible with no detouring or something. It's got some real drat meat to it, for my money it easily qualifies as a new solid Mario campaign. I think people who said its scope comes up short either level-by-level or as a whole need to refamiliarize themselves with the length of a standard 2D Mario level or something; especially a NSMBU level. The short but sweet scenario-driven or boss fight levels can't have a ratio beyond like 20:80 to full-sized, sometimes downright gargantuan levels contrasted against the usual affair. I honestly feel the level of general challenge if you're actively seeking to complete every available level is pretty comparable to at least the new supe games.

More importantly though, the creativity in design and concept feels as breathless as something like the e-reader suite from SMA4 but far more refined. This mode as a whole reminds me a lot of an evolution of that package's philosophy, actually, which isn't really surprising given it arose from an editor, I suppose. For my money it marries the series mishmash angle far more smoothly, on top of having the advantage of many more MM2-distinct tools to showcase and experiment with. The way it doubles as a perpetual idea factory for your making options while not losing its identity as a proper platforming experience is really impressive. Having the team of creators behind these levels trying to hit every checkmark possible gives the variety a pace you don't see that often from more centralized Mario adventures, but the acuity in level design is strong enough to keep it cohesive and stop anything from feeling shoehorned for its own sake. I most appreciate how outside its comfort zone Nintendo's makers got with many of these levels, employing theses and archetypes that were born out of the original over its years or would feel more at home in a really solid romhack.

I also feel like story mode is where the soul some reviewers were complaining was lost in the transition to a sequel was focused. The writing has that self-aware irreverence a lot of modern Treehouse translations tend to land on but it's fitting in a wrapper like this and is just genuinely charming and funny in a vacuum anyway. It reminds me a lot of Color Splash; I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was a lot of cross-pollination between both localization projects' key staff. I love how weird so much of it is in the same way Mario Maker 1 was across its various easter eggs and oddities. poo poo like Mr. Eraser's existentialism and perpetual suicide or the Soundfrog being a loving internet gentleman in a fursuit who loves disco dancing. The structure and personality of everything surrounding the underlying level suite is really endearing to me.

Honestly, in a lot of ways, despite them being constrained in the sense of having a bespoke toolset from the outset as opposed to just being able to make whatever they want in service to their ideas like a standalone Mario platformer, I feel like this game nails a lot of things that NSMBU doesn't in spite of that game's baseline quality of level design before accoutrements and fatigue are brought into the conversation. One shortcoming they both share is the amount of downtime between levels when you're just trying to blitz, but the open-endedness of your options in story mode help alleviate that more than a linear progression at least. But chiefly when contrasting the two campaigns, besides the general vibrancy in MM2's offering, I think its story mode handles collectible design way better. Star Coins in the NSMB games always felt like they were missing the mark to me. They were disruptive in that they more often acted as a secrets more fitting for a Yoshi title than as platforming challenges or minor, short puzzles that both service the flow of their core game's tenets.

By and large all the optional large coin placement in MM2's story mode that can be comfortably analogized with star coins is clever and bolstering of the central gameplay they surround. There are some Easter egg hunt exceptions, but only enough to act as flavoring. The rest emphasize tricky platforming, and many of the 50-coin pieces offer the mode's best challenge and most impressive setpiece design if you make it an active point to go out of your way for them. If you haven't touched story mode yet I actually really recommend, besides exhausting the content, that you try to collect as many of the large coins as you can muster.

In short it's pretty swell.

Violen fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 29, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My limited edition arrived today...but the stylus is missing

:negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So blinking blocks kill enemies caught inside them. There goes my plan to create a series of logic gates based on on/off switches and using the blinking blocks as a clock signal.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I had a go at a classic ghost house, and then got really grumpy with myself because I didn’t actually do any planning. Still, as a first stab, I’m not desperately disappointed!

HDY-4J1-90H

Game good, lads. Game good.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Flint_Paper posted:

I had a go at a classic ghost house, and then got really grumpy with myself because I didn’t actually do any planning. Still, as a first stab, I’m not desperately disappointed!

HDY-4J1-90H

Game good, lads. Game good.

If there's one thing I could've done without, it's the strategically placed piranha plant right below the checkpoint flag.
Though I guess that's on me for dying in the first place :haw:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Kins posted:

I sent a PM to the OP (Who I assume is running the sheet) asking for a fix.

I've fixed this and confirmed that the level exists.

BTW, I had seen the comment. I was going to PM you first but I saw that someone had sent you a tweet, so I assumed you'd realize pretty fast.

ColdPie posted:

Miiverse is dead so I can't find a public place to scrape level data from.

Oh, right. drat it.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Avirosb posted:

If there's one thing I could've done without, it's the strategically placed piranha plant right below the checkpoint flag.
Though I guess that's on me for dying in the first place :haw:

Yeah, I’m still undecided about that. Pausing will let it pass, but I guess that’s punishing the player for being keen, which...isn’t ideal.

Superlol looking forward to playing the goon levels now I’ve finally made one.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

KML-3HB-15G

DOOMSHIP: smb3 airship theme, autoscrolling

Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 29, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally got around to making a level. Pretty short and simple but need to start somewhere.

Gentle Snowy Slopes
F3F-G25-3KF

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Does this still have the feature where you can follow makers so I only have to input one code per goon?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also I'm surprisingly digging the competitive multiplayer. Might be focusing more time on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I was initially tempted to remake my Mario Land tribute set from MM1 (especially now that more relevant stuff is in it) or remake some of the others, but I basically pixel matched half a dozen levels (some of them twice) and I have no desire to do that again lol. Probably better to take the ideas and spirit of them and apply them to something original.