Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I think they mean redirection is normally set up as a high-performance behind the scenes thing that doesn't make the client get forwarded through an extra page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
A 3xx HTTP forward is well known as a proper redirect, etc

A web page that loads javascript will probably be considered your new index.html with no content.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, so if it isn't, my apologizes.

I've got an Apache2 web server which is currently serving up a lot of different content: a website, a REST API on flask-restful etc. The server is firewalled to hell and back: basically only HTTP and SSH ports are open, and we can't change this.

Despite this, we'd need to listen internally to certain ports so a couple of different bots / servers can function correctly. I know this is something you CAN do with Apache2: have external directories and URLs direct to different internal addresses and ports, ie. have myserver.com/app2/login redirect to localhost:8001/login and myserver.com/app1/login redirect to localhost:4141/login for instance. But I'm not good enough at Apache2 magic to know how to do it myself.

Can someone walk me through it, so I can learn and be smarter in the future?

EDIT: turns out I was smart enough to do it after all and got it done after some trial and error.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 23, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's just configuring another Listen address with the extra port, and then setting up a VirtualHost section for that port. Looks like you figured it out.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

nem posted:

WordPress is only as safe as you let it be. People do stupid things, so if you can't trust your friend to not do stupid things then pass. Just today I handled a situation where a theme allowed a user to enter an arbitrary email address and send a copy to itself... sure enough that was exploited by a Chinese botnet of around 250 distinct addresses to spam.

analogy i use with one of my clients: Each wordpress plugin/theme you install is like raw-dogging a random hooker off the streets. maybe you get lucky, or maybe your entire site ends up with herpes (Easy WP SMTP i am looking at you)

also Why is wordpress so loving popular. IT IS SO BAD AND STUPIDLY DESIGNED (like 99% of php apps are). Elementor is pretty sweet I admit.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Alpha Mayo posted:

also Why is wordpress so loving popular. IT IS SO BAD AND STUPIDLY DESIGNED (like 99% of php apps are). Elementor is pretty sweet I admit.

Accessibility. Duration of existence. Technical debt. Node is slowly working its way into this pantheon of languages that attract some really bad developers.

WordPress as a framework is fine; it could be faster and hopefully mandating PHP 5.6 minimum is a step towards achieving it. What people bolt onto WordPress, for the most part, is not. People that install 30 addons are also doing a great disservice to WP. Emergent SaaS panels (ServerPilot, Moss, RunCloud) that can't be bothered to update plugins/themes are further exacerbating this problem with WP.

WordPress accounted for 90 percent of all hacked CMS sites in 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you h andle having hacked wordpress instances on your network at any given time? like, pro-actively or

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I've been using Site5 as webhosting for years, pretty much just for email and the occasional image host. Today, my wife tells me she's not getting emails, I look into it, and it looks like the back end of my website no longer exists. I've been meaning to look into moving email to another, less costly option, but I'm lazy and unmotivated, and it was working, so I just took the path of least resistance, and it just bit me in the rear end. So now my website and all my files on it are gone (both our email accounts, though our local email clients seem to have downloaded everything, so we've got that at least), so I've got a REAL reason to move things over ASAP. I've got a support ticket open with Site5, but reading from back around page 103, it sounds like Site5 was bought out a while back and it's now a shitshow (which really sucks, because I just renewed my domain for 2 years last September, so I've still got about a year and a half left paid for). Is anyone else still using Site5, and did your website disappear, possibly around 4/26 (last time my phone synced with email)?

Depending on how (if) they respond, I'm thinking of making a move. Since I pretty much just use it for email, it looks like I can transfer my domain from the current registrar to Google Domains, and then just have the email accounts to go their Gmail servers. Has anyone done this? Is anyone aware of any drawbacks to doing this, and assuming Site5 can restore from a backup, can I move all the old email from my old hosting to Gmail? Will the two accounts be separate in the Gmail interface, or will they all be interspersed but tagged with the different accounts?

Is there a better/cheaper way to do what I'm doing (keep the same email addresses, possibly move all the old emails over assuming they can be restored, have a new email-only back end)?

Edit: Got a response from Site5, looks like it's ACTUALLY a problem with my registrar, they've defaulted my nameservers. So I'm still going to look into moving my domain and killing off my hosting, but for now I'm trying to fix this nameserver issue!

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 2, 2019

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

StabbinHobo posted:

how do you h andle having hacked wordpress instances on your network at any given time? like, pro-actively or

Variety of layers.

• Brute-force deterrents. Sieve it through to fail2ban including HTTP rate-limiting via mod_evasive. NGINX has a similar mechanism available. Of course enable recidivism. In multi-server setups go with a distributed approach to fail2ban (centralized rsyslog sink)
  • Always enable automatic updates, system + WP. wp-cli has a facility to easily update core, plugins, and themes. WP by itself does not update plugins/themes. As far as the excuse "plugin isn't guaranteed to work with WP xx.yy" goes, junk the plugin. There's plenty of bad code out there. No need to become a statistic when it inevitably breaks down the road or hamstrings you to a vulnerable version of WP
  • Mount /tmp, /dev/shm noexec, stops drive-by hacking but not determined hackers
  • Isolate filesystems, either through containers or another subsystem. Primarily for damage control if a hack does happen
  • Restrictive ACLs on binaries with high risk of proliferation (perl, tclsh, ruby, etc) to prevent alternative channels if hacked
  • Always separate WP system file ownership from WP content ownership. Damage control again. It makes audit trails pretty easy to follow; look for files created by the web user. Makes it impossible to alter WP system files too
  • Restrict well-known URIs (e.g. wp-content/uploads/) to disable scripting language support
  • Scrub uploads for malware. This can be done with mod_security + ClamAV
  • wp-cli also provides checksumming support. Works great for plugins

No solution is 100% secure as policy evolves generally in response. Most of my recommendations evolved as means to combat vectors. As far as security plugins like WordFence go, high cost and very little payoff. Filtering needs to happen earlier in the processing axis rather than after connection + processing otherwise it's far too easy to induce a DoS.

By the way, check out apnscp, which is a culmination of my work over these years. I've allocated an unlimited number of free lifetime licenses for SA as a thank you for bankrolling development through Hostineer over these years.

eames
May 9, 2009

Very interesting post. Would you generally consider state-of-the-art, well maintained shared webhosting to be secure enough to run a private instance of nextcloud or is that still a horrible idea?
How common is it for a shared webhost to get compromised to the point where an attacker has access to all user data on the machine? Surely the attack surface is huge with all the outdated scripts running on it. Is a cloud VPS really that much better in that regard, they also use shared resources after all?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

eames posted:

Very interesting post. Would you generally consider state-of-the-art, well maintained shared webhosting to be secure enough to run a private instance of nextcloud or is that still a horrible idea?
How common is it for a shared webhost to get compromised to the point where an attacker has access to all user data on the machine? Surely the attack surface is huge with all the outdated scripts running on it. Is a cloud VPS really that much better in that regard, they also use shared resources after all?

A properly secured server isolates customer accounts so they cannot access other account data using containers or virtual environments.
If a server is compromised at the root level, that changes everything. This is a lot less common among reputable hosting providers.
Cloud VPS servers don't share all resources, the exception being CPU. Disk and memory are fairly dedicated on KVM VPS servers but CPU is almost always shared.
On a properly balanced setup, this isn't really a bad thing.

Nextcloud belongs on a VPS, most (not all) shared hosting providers don't allow file hosting services like OwnCloud or Nextcloud to run on those types of accounts.
Be sure to check the ToS / AUP before getting Nextcloud setup and running :)

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 7, 2019

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Thanks this is all great info and exactly what I've been looking for, and I'll check out apnscp

eames
May 9, 2009

DarkLotus posted:

A properly secured server isolates customer accounts so they cannot access other account data using containers or virtual environments.
If a server is compromised at the root level, that changes everything. This is a lot less common among reputable hosting providers.
Cloud VPS servers don't share all resources, the exception being CPU. Disk and memory are fairly dedicated on KVM VPS servers but CPU is almost always shared.
On a properly balanced setup, this isn't really a bad thing.

Nextcloud belongs on a VPS, most (not all) shared hosting providers don't allow file hosting services like OwnCloud or Nextcloud to run on those types of accounts.
Be sure to check the ToS / AUP before getting Nextcloud setup and running :)

Thanks for the response. I already have an "experimental" nextcloud installation running on a shared webhost and asked permission my local hoster before booking the package and installing it. Oddly enough they do allow it on their smaller hosting package but not on their "fair-use" offer, likely due to overselling/abuse/etc. I only need <1% of the 100GB webspace offered so that's fine with me.

Because it is a shared webhost I currently only use it as an audioplayer, rss reader and to share files that I'd normally send via e-mail instead. I don't trust it with my contacts/calendar/documents for fear of the server getting compromised which admittedly kind of defeats the point of it. It seems like there's little point in having an updated, well maintained nextcloud installation with strong passwords and 2FA when an attacker could gain root access through a vulnerability enabled by some other user account's outdated wordpress from 2010 running on php 5.3.

I did consider getting a KVM VPS but that would add large amount of maintenance burden for unattended upgrades/hardening/brute force protection/clean "A+" SSL cert setup/mailserver with spamfilter and spf/dkim/dmarc and all the many other little but important things that a hoster takes care of.

BTW I was a customer of Lithium for years and always very happy with the service and support, highly recommended!

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

eames posted:

DarkLotus posted:

Pretty much this. If the server is properly managed, then accounts will remain isolated from one another. If a server falls several critical updates behind, bitrot sets in, and you've got some local privilege escalation then goodbye sensitive data. Every host runs their process differently; some follow tight policies whereas others duct tape things together and hope for the best. For example, when I moved operations from TX to GA, JaguarPC co-owned Gnax (Zayo ATL now). Their shared hosting outfit was consumer-grade tower PCs on baker's racks. You could've built out a similar spec'd system by going to MicroCenter and buying hardware from the discount bin.

We've come a long way since the mid 2000s. Containers, which are namespaces internally, provide necessary isolation. But then again your host could always do something stupid like enable mod_includes that would allow a symlink to circumvent +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch and present any file wherever in plain-text.

VPS isn't inherently more secure, especially if you approach it with a "set it and forget it" mentality. We're governed by the physical world and in the physical world poo poo breaks. A good shared hosting provider will have stringent security policies in place to safeguard customer data. A good VPS provider will apply appropriate microcode updates to protect against hypervisor exploits. A bad provider won't do any of this (and probably doesn't shred confidential documents either).

I recommend budgeting 10 hours per week into learning how to manage a server if you go VPS. It is an extremely affordable solution, but should be approached from the perspective you're buying a dedicated server and saddled with equivalent responsibilities.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

Yeah I'm gonna switch when I move to the new ispmail guide for the next debian release, I already have a new VPS, just need to get off my rear end.

Lol I posted this in July last year.

I've finally been setting up the latest ispmail guide for debian stretch, and I switched mail over yesterday.

HOLY poo poo rspamd is amazing vs spamassassin! Password extortion emails aren't even being accepted by my server anymore.

Having clamav set up with real signatures is awesome as well.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have any experience of those apps/frameworks for managing lots of WordPress installs? Something that you install as a plugin on each individual site and then manage centrally...

The number of WordPress sites I manage for various clients just hit 60, and while I have as much auto-updating enabled as possible, I still have a lot of busywork to do when there's an update to Yoast or whatever. Would love to handle it all centrally.

Re: WordPress security chat from a few posts up, it used to be much more of an issue for me, but I've been relatively hack-free for a long time now. I don't do anything particularly elaborate either, just obvious stuff like Wordfence, minimising plugins, not calling your admin account "admin", etc.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
How much management are you expecting? How much legwork do you expect to do? What plugins are you looking at? Different servers or the same? A breach in one plugin would allow a hacker to bypass the plugin on your WP site and allow carte blanch access to whatever the plugin would have been entitled to access.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've been trying out ManageWP today and it seems good enough for what I want. Way better than when I used it years ago.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

fuf posted:

I've been trying out ManageWP today and it seems good enough for what I want. Way better than when I used it years ago.

ManageWP was going to be my recommendation. We have around 70 sites in there, and it's been rock solid, especially since their 'Orion' update around a year ago. Pricing wise it's not too bad either if you just want backups and management.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

frogbs posted:

ManageWP was going to be my recommendation. We have around 70 sites in there, and it's been rock solid, especially since their 'Orion' update around a year ago. Pricing wise it's not too bad either if you just want backups and management.

Thanks, good to know. I already have backups handled elsewhere but the backup option is tempting just because the site clone / migration tool looks handy.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Is there a WordPress/Webdev thread? If so, please re-direct me because I couldn't find it.

I made a simple bootstrap landing page for a friend's small business, but every few months it re-installs wordpress. No biggie, delete WP files and upload my backup, but it's becoming a real pain in my rear end because I can't figure out what's causing the re-install. I figure there's some file in another directory causing this via WP update.

I've looked through the log file, but nothing jumps out at me. They seem to just appear out of nowhere.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Noslo posted:

Is there a WordPress/Webdev thread? If so, please re-direct me because I couldn't find it.

I made a simple bootstrap landing page for a friend's small business, but every few months it re-installs wordpress. No biggie, delete WP files and upload my backup, but it's becoming a real pain in my rear end because I can't figure out what's causing the re-install. I figure there's some file in another directory causing this via WP update.

I've looked through the log file, but nothing jumps out at me. They seem to just appear out of nowhere.

Web Dev: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554791
WordPress: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913

My question: If I wanted to snag a domain that's registered but not in use and expiring soon, what do people recommend for how to go about it? I have a stupid idea that I'm sure is going to make my life hell but I need a certain domain first.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
How badly do you want it, how much do you want to spend, do you think it will autorenew, and how popular do you think it is

If you really really badly want it, the place it's registered at likely auctions it off or otherwise has private partnerships of some sort to pick up dropped domains first. If it isn't overly necessary something I did was pick a domain reseller company iwth an API and just attempt a registration with a cron/bash script nonstop

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
I've only backordered 1 domain in my life. Prevailing wisdom I've heard through the grapevine is to backorder from the same company the domain is registered through, but registrars do sneaky poo poo. Namecheap and Netsol still do domain tasting anecdotally even though the practice was supposedly eradicated in 2009 by way of registration fees. You can try a backordering service from a registrar, e.g. GoDaddy, or even too hammering a registration API as Biowarfare recommends. Domain should drop 30 days after it expires.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
I own a domain and pay monthly for economy hosting at the lithiumhosting.com . I installed OpenResty from the Debian repo, as well as LuaJIT. I want use a framework as suggested to complete my artistic vision as a website. Would my host be able to handle this, or am I stuck with their cPanel and whatever default stuff?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

das crikstar posted:

I own a domain and pay monthly for economy hosting at the lithiumhosting.com . I installed OpenResty from the Debian repo, as well as LuaJIT. I want use a framework as suggested to complete my artistic vision as a website. Would my host be able to handle this, or am I stuck with their cPanel and whatever default stuff?

If you are going to use OpenResty, you will want a VPS running nginx as the web server and then whatever webapp you are managing.
The hosting you have does not utilize nginx as the web server and you would have no control over it at that level anyways. If you want to leave the server management to us, you are stuck with what is provided in your shared hosting account.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

DarkLotus posted:

If you are going to use OpenResty, you will want a VPS running nginx as the web server and then whatever webapp you are managing.
The hosting you have does not utilize nginx as the web server and you would have no control over it at that level anyways. If you want to leave the server management to us, you are stuck with what is provided in your shared hosting account.

I will stick with what I got with you as I have been happy. I have so much to learn, and can find a lot to keep me busy with my humble web page. Thanks!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to make a very, very simple website for probably a dumb reason (archiving information on a dumb niche video game from the 90s after I discovered many of the fansites I used to visit have disappeared).

I have a domain name through Google Domains.

I have tried Squarespace, but it's too complicated to get it to do what I want. It's all templates and pre-installed graphics/images and its just a huge pain in the rear end.

Back in high school, I used a :filez: copy of Dreamweaver to write a lovely basic website with a list of pages on the left, and content in the middle. I basically want the 2019 version of that, since all it'll have to display is text and the occasional table with sprites.

1. What service or tool should I use to create this?

2. What host should I look at for something like this?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

1. What service or tool should I use to create this?

2. What host should I look at for something like this?

I may be jumping ahead here but if you do end up doing just plain HTML, maybe look at using Amazon S3 for hosting. It should be pretty low cost per month for this use case.

If you just want a plain site and don't necessarily care about doing all the HTML yourself, maybe Google Sites? I'm pretty sure they're free, and they support custom domains.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soaring Kestrel posted:

I may be jumping ahead here but if you do end up doing just plain HTML, maybe look at using Amazon S3 for hosting. It should be pretty low cost per month for this use case.

If you just want a plain site and don't necessarily care about doing all the HTML yourself, maybe Google Sites? I'm pretty sure they're free, and they support custom domains.

Thanks for the tip on Google Sites.

I set it up with my custom domain, and it kind of works? If I open a browser window and type "www.mysitename.com", it sends me to my Google Sites page, but the URL in the address bar changes into "https://sites.google.com/view/my_site_name".

Any ideas what's causing that?

Nevermind, it was because the site was set to restrict who could view it.

Annath fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 21, 2019

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Netlify and GitHub Pages are free. Wouldn't dick with S3 for that use case.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
cPanel announces a price increase driving up the costs 3-4x for many high density providers. Expect some of the smaller players on narrow margins and resellers to hurt from this change.

Welcome to the world of Oakley Capital :banjo:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Big ask here, but does anybody know of a VPS provider that (1) allows VMs to be provisioned by API (2) would build a relationship with me to host Tor exit nodes? In my experience you need to be a large company to fulfill the former and a small company to fulfill the latter. (I'm interested in reselling Tor exit nodes and handling the administrative overhead, spam blocking etc.)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

DigitalOcean

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

jaegerx posted:

DigitalOcean

Their abuse department consists of a paper shredder so this would be a good idea.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

nem posted:

Their abuse department consists of a paper shredder so this would be a good idea.

did you read the whole story? that company was on credit and they didn't follow the rules.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
From what I can read DigitalOcean's policy is that you can run a Tor exit node but you're responsible for the traffic, which is hard to accommodate even if I set up a lot of filtering rules, an email address for abuse reports, etc. In a forum post they say you can run a VPN for your own traffic but not a public VPN, and that you can run a Tor exit node but only for your own traffic. Not sure if they understand what that means.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I'd start with this list then narrow it down based on your other requirements

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

jaegerx posted:

did you read the whole story? that company was on credit and they didn't follow the rules.

Which one? I’m referring to my experience with them never acting on abuse reports. It’s more effective to just block their ASN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

nem posted:

Which one? I’m referring to my experience with them never acting on abuse reports. It’s more effective to just block their ASN.

Every cloud vendor has abuse problems and I’ve personally worked there and I know their abuse team is on the ball. Sometimes excessively