Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Farrier Theaks posted:

Hm, I completely missed The Red Light District, the Red Queen, and (apparently) 95% of the Dvali story in my first playthrough. I see why everyone thinks the game is short - the side missions are like 75% of the content.

Wow, I don't even remember what any of those missions are. I'm pretty sure I remember most of Human Revolution though, and I haven't played it in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
In Prague 1, you have different options in dealing with Otar and getting Koller's neuroplasticity calibrator from him. The first time I played, I stealthed into the hideout and stole it, completely bypassing Otar and everything Dvali related. This time I talked to Otar, who gave me the calibrator but asked for a favor, which led into a second favor, which led to the Red Queen and the Red Light District. It's a pretty goddamn big chunk of content I completely bypassed, and it says something good about the game design that you can do that.

MD is really great game that hits all the Deus Ex beats (criminal gangs, corporate espionage, personal-level conspiracy along with the big conspiracies, nightclubs, etc) and all the stuff with Janus and the Juggernaut Collective is pleasantly complicated. Everything's there but something's missing and I don't know what - you're right that it's oddly not memorable compared to HR. Probably because there's so much backstory poorly alluded to that comics and lovely phone games tried to fill in. I'm sadface that Square-Enix tried to make extended universe poo poo out of things and shelved the series for a while.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 27, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah. "For a while." :negative:

I still need to go finish my second run so I can do the other track with the bank heist, and the DLC. I just got so tired of it after beating the campaign the first time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Farrier Theaks posted:

In Prague 1, you have different options in dealing with Otar and getting Koller's neuroplasticity calibrator from him. The first time I played, I stealthed into the hideout and stole it, completely bypassing Otar and everything Dvali related. This time I talked to Otar, who gave me the calibrator but asked for a favor, which led into a second favor, which led to the Red Queen and the Red Light District. It's a pretty goddamn big chunk of content I completely bypassed, and it says something good about the game design that you can do that.

MD is really great game that hits all the Deus Ex beats (criminal gangs, corporate espionage, personal-level conspiracy along with the big conspiracies, nightclubs, etc) and all the stuff with Janus and the Juggernaut Collective is pleasantly complicated. Everything's there but something's missing and I don't know what - you're right that it's oddly not memorable compared to HR. Probably because there's so much backstory poorly alluded to that comics and lovely phone games tried to fill in. I'm sadface that Square-Enix tried to make extended universe poo poo out of things and shelved the series for a while.

MD really does have the stench of corporate meddling all over it, which seems fitting

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I keep meaning to get that novel that’s all of MD’s setup/backstory.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

HR had bigger peaks than MD, but I absolutely hated the end of HR. Mankind Divided's downbeat "sinister things are afoot - to be continued!" was fine, until, well, it wasn't going to be.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't think people thought MD was short, it just ends abruptly. Which yeah, if there was guaranteed a sequel already in production that's one thing but, alas.

Of course I just replayed Anachronox and no game hits you as hard in the cliffhangers as that one. rip ion storm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There was a lot of goon hyperbole about it, someone up thread was saying you can finish the main story in six hours (which is prob true, but not that relevant)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I bought the MD season pass for cheap (I think it’s still only £2-3 on the PS Store) and I’ve been playing the DLC missions. The Tarvos one and the one with Pritchard need to absolutely be reintegrated into the game. Respeccing Adam is no fun, especially when you don’t know what you’re going to face.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's kind of irritating that HR GotY edition integrated it's DLC into the main game even though it didn't work all that well, but MD, which would benefit much more from that kind of integration, doesn't bother.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sebmojo posted:

There was a lot of goon hyperbole about it, someone up thread was saying you can finish the main story in six hours (which is prob true, but not that relevant)

Goon hyperbole is always dumb and wrong.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's kind of irritating that HR GotY edition integrated it's DLC into the main game even though it didn't work all that well, but MD, which would benefit much more from that kind of integration, doesn't bother.

I think Square wanted to drop the project hard, given the failure that caused the series' cancellation.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I think I just watched Jensen show more emotion in the 3 minute intro to Desperate Measures than I saw in 80 hours of HR and MD

edit: meant system rift

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 7, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Desperate

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Is there a way to eliminate Jensen from either of his two games as much as possible? Or maybe turn off just his VA and leave everyone else's on? His forced edgy guy voice drives me up a wall (and vicariously makes my throat hurt), and knowing that he's a wish fulfillment self insertion of the art director guy is just the icing on the cake.

I did a playthrough of HR when it came out and I enjoyed it but Adam is a big step down from the Pimp God that is JC Denton.

I didn't see anything on the Nexus but I figured it was worth asking here.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Big Bizness posted:

Is there a way to eliminate Jensen from either of his two games as much as possible? Or maybe turn off just his VA and leave everyone else's on? His forced edgy guy voice drives me up a wall (and vicariously makes my throat hurt), and knowing that he's a wish fulfillment self insertion of the art director guy is just the icing on the cake.

I did a playthrough of HR when it came out and I enjoyed it but Adam is a big step down from the Pimp God that is JC Denton.

the thing is that that's the voice actor's real voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xxV_2_6j8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IBExDDCtrw

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanna say JJB being the model for Jensen was a placeholder until everyone went no wait this is cool and then they kept it. Lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Which is extra funny since JC is the one actually with the "forced edgy guy" voice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"is there a way to eliminate the protagonist from these two games," did you think about that question for a minute before asking or no

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Psion posted:

"is there a way to eliminate the protagonist from these two games," did you think about that question for a minute before asking or no

Have you ever modded a game or no

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You could play on mute, listen to a podcast or something?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Big Bizness posted:

That was done as a joke, unlike the guy who hosed with the prince of Persia franchise

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jojoinnit posted:

You could play on mute, listen to a podcast or something?

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

the guy who hosed with the prince of Persia franchise

What a rotten way to die.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I will say that the music of HR was definitely successful. I remember taking in Adam's apartment and the upper layers of that medical building in China and just being amazed by the way the atmosphere came together.

The last time I played through DX1 (probably my... 9th time?) I had a filthy Memphis playlist interspersed with some gimmick tracks like Tom Sawyer (thanks, DOUG the Eagle!). It was my GEP gun / no mercy playthrough in case you were wondering.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I used to smash through games with the sound off, listening to music, but Deus Ex was one of the games to shake me out of that. There was always so much incidental audio, and the atmospheric tracks made the experience all the better.

HR and MD got that mood right with the music, I feel.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Yeah, the sound design in both HR and MD is really loving good. Everything from the powers and weapons to the ambient sounds and music is top-notch.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I had the biggest “where do I know that guy from” reaction to his Expanse character. I think I lasted all of 10 minutes before I looked it up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I used to smash through games with the sound off, listening to music, but Deus Ex was one of the games to shake me out of that. There was always so much incidental audio, and the atmospheric tracks made the experience all the better.

HR and MD got that mood right with the music, I feel.

The architecture in hr and md is also amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sebmojo posted:

The architecture in hr and md is also amazing.

I'm not sure I've ever seen better art direction in general than those two games. They have their weak points but everything about the art and atmosphere is just perfect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The design is fantastic, and I see a lot of the black and gold cyber renaissance concept bleeding into real life. Ikea currently has a couple of show rooms that are almost identical to Jensen’s apartment in HR.

Also I regularly listen to both HR and MD’s soundtracks. Sitting on the subway watching cityscape go by while listening to some of the more ambient tracks is remarkably chill and joyful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Last night I started playing Revision again

drat game's still good

Holy poo poo its so easy to die in old videogames though

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Last night I started playing Revision again

drat game's still good

Holy poo poo its so easy to die in old videogames though

I know this thread doesn't have a high opinion of Revision but I wrote a glowing review for it about a year ago in this thread with pics!

I honestly just installed it to mess around with it...and then didn't stop playing until I finished the game 45 hours later. I was impressed with how good Deus Ex looked with the increased textures and better lighting effects.

As for the quick deaths, Deus Ex has never been an easy game and combat was always weak. Revision doesn't do anything to change that. With that said, I love to upgrade Low Tech and baton enemies by smacking them from behind. True fun begins as soon as you get the Dragon's Tooth. :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah Deus Ex was always pretty heavy on savescumming unless you were already a pro, just surprising how stark the difference is even on the first level, compared to say modern deus ex.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The original Deus Ex is old enough that it's still from that age where difficulty was still sometimes a way to pad out play time. That said, it's still a very large game even without all that was cut, so perhaps my thought doesn't hold water.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Deus Ex is a good game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deus Ex is difficult because it's janky, not by design. It is a good game with bad gameplay.

Conversely I just completed my re-run of Mankind Divided with a playthrough of A Criminal Past, and it makes me a bit sad because that's the DLC where they finally nailed that Deus Ex feeling to the map and quest design. My bold take is that it's the series at absolute pinnacle - the best mechanics with equal-to-best content.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have forgotten that DX doesn't autosave a few times and gotten killed in Battery Park with no saves. Some mods do trigger autosave when you change areas.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It is a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I know this thread doesn't have a high opinion of Revision but I wrote a glowing review for it about a year ago in this thread with pics!

I honestly just installed it to mess around with it...and then didn't stop playing until I finished the game 45 hours later. I was impressed with how good Deus Ex looked with the increased textures and better lighting effects.

As for the quick deaths, Deus Ex has never been an easy game and combat was always weak. Revision doesn't do anything to change that. With that said, I love to upgrade Low Tech and baton enemies by smacking them from behind. True fun begins as soon as you get the Dragon's Tooth. :getin:

I liked revision very much. And I loved the new artwork and some of the level redesigns.