Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Tunahead posted:

Gold Experience already touched the blood, so now it's magic blood that can touch ghosts.

That species of ant is well known for attacking Punch Ghosts. AntsCanada said so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I love that this is the same show that gives you a bunch Rat Facts or some poo poo about different languages.

As much as I dislike Diavolo (he's just kinda there), King Crimson is loving hilarious. His faces belong in loving Looney Tunes. I can only hope that tradition of dumb final stands will continue. First we had yellow brick man that did fart noises to stop time, then muscular cat, and now this rear end in a top hat in really fashionable shoes.

It also just occured to me that we haven't really seen a fight in this arc. Diavolo is a giant coward who'd rather skip time and impale someone, so it makes sense, but I really miss that. Slowly approaching shadow dude isn't really as fun as 4D chess with stands.

Can someone explain that blood droplet trick? I get it, more blood appears, means time skipped. But is that important? King Crimson usually just punches people to death, so even counting blood droplets won't really help. You can just die within erased time anyway, and knowing that time has skipped, when you know he's close, doesn't really do much. You already know that's what he does. Or maybe I don't understand something.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I love that this is the same show that gives you a bunch Rat Facts or some poo poo about different languages.

As much as I dislike Diavolo (he's just kinda there), King Crimson is loving hilarious. His faces belong in loving Looney Tunes. I can only hope that tradition of dumb final stands will continue. First we had yellow brick man that did fart noises to stop time, then muscular cat, and now this rear end in a top hat in really fashionable shoes.

It also just occured to me that we haven't really seen a fight in this arc. Diavolo is a giant coward who'd rather skip time and impale someone, so it makes sense, but I really miss that. Slowly approaching shadow dude isn't really as fun as 4D chess with stands.

Can someone explain that blood droplet trick? I get it, more blood appears, means time skipped. But is that important? King Crimson usually just punches people to death, so even counting blood droplets won't really help. You can just die within erased time anyway, and knowing that time has skipped, when you know he's close, doesn't really do much. You already know that's what he does. Or maybe I don't understand something.

King Crimson can't kill you in skipped time, so knowing time skipped should allow you to dodge, Polnareff used it to damage Diavolo earlier.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it warns you that KC is about to attack you. Incidentally, I think I know what happened with Narancia's death - King Crimson snuck up on him and threw him towards the railings, then skipped time to hide the impact while he was in the air. Pretty clever.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is all still a lot of bullshit, but at least seeing it animated made things feel a bit more tense and interesting. The standoff with Giorno and Mista was cool, and I really liked the music this episode.

And seeing off poor Doppio... :smith:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Kikas posted:

King Crimson can't kill you in skipped time, so knowing time skipped should allow you to dodge, Polnareff used it to damage Diavolo earlier.
That... Sure, at least there's an explanation.

I mostly saw it as sort of The World thing, where it wouldn't affect enviroment, but just people. Everything goes on, but people freeze. And that's where it fell apart for me. For example, if Kakyoin would be bloody during stopped time, he could've figured out the trick of The World if the blood didn't stop, sure. But that wouldn't help him. DIO can still move during that and throw his 300 knives at you.
drat, I sure understand all those memes. At least I hope, if Araki keeps doing time bullshit, it's the worst one.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it warns you that KC is about to attack you. Incidentally, I think I know what happened with Narancia's death - King Crimson snuck up on him and threw him towards the railings, then skipped time to hide the impact while he was in the air. Pretty clever.
I was about to ask how Narancia was killed. It's all weird.

Also poor Doppio. I definitely wanted him to get out of Diavolo, but not like that...
Well, at least his fate will probably be better than Diavolo's. I would imagine his end will be much more painful.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

This is all still a lot of bullshit, but at least seeing it animated made things feel a bit more tense and interesting. The standoff with Giorno and Mista was cool, and I really liked the music this episode.

And seeing off poor Doppio... :smith:

That standoff made me think of The Thing when MacReady is testing everyone's blood.

As far as King Crimson I've been thinking of the time skips as Diavolo kind of stepping sideways into another dimension laid on top of normal time and destroying everything in between when he returns. I know that's not exactly it but it helps me remember that he can't interact with anything but himself until he returns.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 29, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Araki loves The Thing and bits of it crop up a lot

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How did Diavolo move Trish closer to Giornio in the blood drip scene? I thought the point was that he couldn't move their body, and that's why he needed to grab Spice Girl. Also, once he has Spice Girl how does he move the body during timeskips if King Crimson can't interact with things during the time skip?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Also yo, Doppio in this episode bummed me out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Manga readers, is Stone Ocean as ludicrous, dream logic-y and deus-ex-machina filled as Golden Wind? I知 really not feeling this part and may check out on the series if this is the way of things from 5 on.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Manga readers, is Stone Ocean as ludicrous, dream logic-y and deus-ex-machina filled as Golden Wind? I知 really not feeling this part and may check out on the series if this is the way of things from 5 on.

Bye bitch

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Anonymous Robot posted:

The first two? Oh extremely!

This adventure is one thing above all else and that is bizarre

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Part five is my least favourite part, Stone Ocean kicks rear end.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Anonymous Robot posted:

There are definitely parts that are absolutely bonkers but in general they don't have a lead like Giorno where you're forced to just accept stuff like every fight. Part 6 is tied with Part 4 for my favorite part, if it means anything.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If you're asking if JoJo's Bizarre Adventure stops being so bizarre then absolutely not

To be fair, I don't really understand why so many people have a problem with the final chapters of Part 5, although I would say the anime does take away some of the tension due to being so drawn out, having to cram in all that dialogue.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 29, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Serious answer: Yes and No. JoJo is certainly a bit of an escalation, with some parts even more violently surreal, but Araki gets a lot better at tying things together and creating satisfying payoff. It certainly never gets less Weird, but it's not "Punching The Light Behind The Soul" or whatever... Part 6 and 7 are almost always in people's Top 3 Favorite JoJo Parts and feature the best protagonists of the series for my money.

If Part 5 leaves a bad taste in your mouth and you're worried or curious about the future of JoJo and don't want to wait two years for another season, I invite you to join the Part 7 read/re-read thread because everyone in the manga thread wants to re-experience it again but no one wants to wait that long.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have opinions about part 5 that i might not even bother going into and will instead just look forward to the let's read of part 7 and hopefully a part 6 announcement.

that said part 5 has a good spread of dope as gently caress fights, i'm just not super hot on the ending sequence. the series genuinely does not get as fuckin outright disconnected and strange again as it does now and there's reasons for that but since it's the anime thread it wouldn't be good to say exactly why. part 6 is hype as poo poo and 7 is one of my favorites. don't assume this bit sets the tone for the rest.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man I never actually thought about how physically strong King Crimson is. From effortlessly punching holes through people to being able to send the user flying just by punching them like it's DBZ.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I would say there are bits and pieces of parts 6, 7 and 8 that are on the level of notorious BIG (which is weird for the sake of weird before it starts making sense) or bites the dust (ridiculously overpowered and kind of contrived with the specifics of what a stand can and can't do) in their weirdness, but nothing ever gets as nonsensical as chariot requiem ever again.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The fact that there's so much confusion over what the hell King Crimson even does shows how bad it is. Like why can't he kill people with his time skip? The first time he's shown it seems like he can see the future, but it's also a time skip? But it's mainly deleting time cos people keep moving?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Alan_Shore posted:

The fact that there's so much confusion over what the hell King Crimson even does shows how bad it is. Like why can't he kill people with his time skip? The first time he's shown it seems like he can see the future, but it's also a time skip? But it's mainly deleting time cos people keep moving?

It's not much of a time skip if everything stops moving in it. Nothing would happen at all in that case.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
King Crimson is remarkably more understandable to me now. Yes, Diavolo can see the future, he sees how his enemies are going to move in the next ten seconds, he does this in the opening now every time. If Diavolo were to attack someone during this ten seconds, then i guess whatever he did would be skipped over when he erased those ten seconds because Diavolo seems to take himself out of time when he moves around and sings in italian

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 29, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

GimmickMan posted:

I would say there are bits and pieces of parts 6, 7 and 8 that are on the level of notorious BIG (which is weird for the sake of weird before it starts making sense) or bites the dust (ridiculously overpowered and kind of contrived with the specifics of what a stand can and can't do) in their weirdness, but nothing ever gets as nonsensical as chariot requiem ever again.

everything later on either has a fair bit of buildup or is just a weird and brief little encounter that isn't essential to the core of the plot, which is the main difference from part 5

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't think of another time they do something like Diavolo figuring out Chariot Requiem's gimmick and then immediately solving it without giving any sort of establishing scenes beforehand. There was no way for the viewer to see that coming, it just kind of happened.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Thumbtacks posted:

Honestly it seems a lot like diavolo IS king crimson

My interpretation of Diavolo is that he's more of a demonic spirit than a person. Remember, his name is 'Devil' in Italian. The 'Diavolo' body we see is just what Doppio's body becomes when the possession takes hold. King Crimson is the demon's actual form, manifesting as a Stand. This is why we always saw just KC and not the body, because the body is irrelevant. King Crimson is the demon, or 'Diavolo'. The body is just a innocent child, a vessel for the demon to enter the world. Remember that the priest said that he was an unnatural birth.

I particularly loved this episode, as I felt that King Crimson destroying the soul of light was a fantastic moment. KC wants power and to be shrouded in darkness, and it will sacrifice any ties to humanity to achieve that, including its own daughter and any semblance of a soul, in addition to the host (Doppio) that it was incubated in. Part 5 is an explicitly Christian story, and this episode was the Devil at the height of his power. It will take the "King of Kings' (next episode title) to stop him.

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 29, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

He has two powers - skipping time (which locks everyone into doing whatever they were already doing for the next ten seconds) and seeing ten seconds into the future, so he knows what everyone will be doing and where they'll be during and after the time-skip. Basically, Epitaph predicts the future, and then King Crimson locks everyone into that future so they can't react to what he's doing. It's like reading an enemy's pre-programmed attack pattern in a video game.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Expect My Mom posted:

King Crimson is remarkably more understandable to me now. Yes, Diavolo can see the future, he sees how his enemies are going to move in the next ten seconds, he does this in the opening now every time. If Diavolo were to attack someone during this ten seconds, then i guess whatever he did would be skipped over when he erased those ten seconds because Diavolo seems to take himself out of time when he moves around and sings in italian

He throws blood on Polnareff's face in episode 33, and in this episode move's Mista's body closer to Giornio both during time skips. So he can interact with people, he just doesn't kill anyone because of bad writing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CJ posted:

He throws blood on Polnareff's face in episode 33, and in this episode move's Mista's body closer to Giornio both during time skips. So he can interact with people, he just doesn't kill anyone because of bad writing.

Anyone who's moving at the start of a timeskip continues moving in the same way during a timeskip. So it's good for throwing stuff and simple movement, but not anything more complex. You're basically switching the entire world to autopilot for ten seconds. The true value comes from (a) choosing when everyone around you can stop making decisions for ten seconds (for instance, making sure that someone you've just thrown towards some railings can't save themselves or alert anyone else, or making sure that the homing-bullet Stand coming at you can't track you) and from Epitaph, which lets you know exactly when you should skip time and what it will do so you can set yourself up to benefit from it - for instance, by moving to dodge an incoming attack and making sure the guy attacking you can't shift his aim.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 29, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone who's moving at the start of a timeskip continues moving in the same way during a timeskip. So it's good for throwing stuff and simple movement, but not anything more complex. You're basically switching the entire world to autopilot for ten seconds. The true value comes from (a) choosing when everyone around you can stop making decisions for ten seconds (for instance, making sure that someone you've just thrown towards some railings can't save themselves or alert anyone else, or making sure that the homing-bullet Stand coming at you can't track you) and from Epitaph, which lets you know exactly when you should skip time and what it will do so you can set yourself up to benefit from it - for instance, by moving to dodge an incoming attack and making sure the guy attacking you can't shift his aim.

So start a timeskip then autopilot throwing a knife at their face or donut punching them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Epitaph's predictions aren't super accurate all the time though. In the Metallica fight, Doppio just saw a severed foot, not whose foot it was or how. Whether that means the future is still unwritten or just the vagueness of the ability, but I'd maybe say that's why someone as paranoid as Diavolo isn't always so quick to act

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Diavolo could throw the Blood in Polnareff's face cause the blood was not part of him anymore.

CJ posted:

So start a timeskip then autopilot throwing a knife at their face or donut punching them.

Diavolo does not go on Autopilot.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The thing that gets me about part 5 is that everything being so difficult to follow, combined with characters sporadically and randomly getting new abilities (admittedly this has always happened in prior parts but never quite so much) sucks all the tension out of everything. You never know the stakes or what anyone is capable of, so it痴 like Araki is the only one having fun.

I also think the narrative is bad, but that isn稚 something I壇 expect to carry over to part 6.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

Not really? Theres one infamously bullshit sequence that everyone becomes completely exhasperated by trying to explain but most of it is straight forward. The main ability of the hero goes back to being a simple thing used in clever ways like Crazy Diamond rather than nebulous and varied like Giornos so that goes a long way towards mitigating the confusion

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 29, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CJ posted:

He kind of did that with Narancia, except that he was throwing him at the knives. Actually, I think he might have done it to Risotto as well? TBH, though, simply using his timeskips to get his incredibly strong, incredibly fast Stand in range seems like it's usually a more efficient and reliable way of killing someone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Anonymous Robot posted:

:allears:

Well, we never get a ridiculous main Stand like Gold Experience again, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 29, 2019

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm looking forward to Stone Ocean's soundtrack. I think that the OP's and ED's will be pretty great, there's a lot to draw from.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:allears:

Well, we never get a ridiculous main Stand like Gold Experience again, at least.

part 8?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Powers are somewhat ill defined but they are not very strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Momomo posted:

I can't think of another time they do something like Diavolo figuring out Chariot Requiem's gimmick and then immediately solving it without giving any sort of establishing scenes beforehand. There was no way for the viewer to see that coming, it just kind of happened.

It would have been cool if the shadow thing was shown at all before Diavolo figures it out, but I went and checked and no, Requiem's shadow is just a featureless circle under it in all scenes