Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
How has everyone felt about the dungeon difficulty so far?

Spoilers for the first dungeon:

I ran Holminster last night on WHM, and it feels like things hit a lot harder than back in Stormblood. Holy spam still works wonders against packs of smaller enemies, but I definitely noticed my Tank's HP dropping a lot faster. Mechanics were fairly simple, mostly just AOEs, but the spin on the last boss was a little tricky at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

I ran Holminster last night on WHM, and it feels like things hit a lot harder than back in Stormblood. Holy spam still works wonders against packs of smaller enemies, but I definitely noticed my Tank's HP dropping a lot faster. Mechanics were fairly simple, mostly just AOEs, but the spin on the last boss was a little tricky at first.

I felt squishy in there. Then again, leveling dungeons have kind of always been like that and I'm also way behind compared to launch day prior expansions because I felt a bit burned out in 4.X.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah dungeons are beating my rear end a little but I recall thinking the same thing at the beginning of HW and SB too. You do so many roulettes and you kind of forget what doing a dungeon not stat-capped from down-scaling feels like lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm very torn on which job to level first in ShB between GNB and RDM.

RDM Pros:
- Already level 70, can jump right into ShB.
- Get to use all that tasty MSQ experience to level a DPS job, which will be more of a pain later.
- DPS queues for dungeons are short right now and that won't last forever.
- Updates to the job are pretty neat.

RDM Cons:
- Kinda bored with it right now? Like it's a good job but I played it almost exclusively through Stormblood.
- Wanted to learn a new role.

GNB Pros:
- New role for me, shiny new job.
- Extremely sick animations.
- Presumably near unkillable while doing solo MSQ quests.

GNB Cons:
- Tank queues are nuts so leveling one from 60 will be more of a pain than anticipated, and I never bothered with PotD before so I need to do a bunch of that before I can unlock HoH.
- "Wasting" MSQ experience on a job that will have much faster queues later. Maybe not a real issue if I like the job enough?
- Joining the ranks of newbie GNBs likely making dungeons annoying for people used to tanks who know what they're doing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In my opinion,

Harrow posted:

RDM Cons:
- Kinda bored with it right now? Like it's a good job but I played it almost exclusively through Stormblood.

These seem the most important, and these

Harrow posted:

GNB Cons:
- "Wasting" MSQ experience on a job that will have much faster queues later. Maybe not a real issue if I like the job enough?
- Joining the ranks of newbie GNBs likely making dungeons annoying for people used to tanks who know what they're doing.

aren’t that important. I’d lean towards GNB because I think being bored with RDM is a primary concern. Wouldn’t worry about “wasting” MSQ tbh. HoH/PotD grind is a real concern though

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
MSQ/Alliance roulettes and Beast Tribes make leveling lv 50+ alts super easy and efficient. Also bear in mind you can leave most sidequests for alts and power thru them once you've unlocked flying in an area.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

queeb posted:

How's everyone enjoying the tanks? I want to level one. I have dark pala and war at 70. Anyone have opinions on those?

I'm not really liking the feel of new DRK, honestly. TBN has changed from converting a plentiful resource (MP) into a scarce one (Blood), to functionally refunding its own casting cost, with the caveat that you can't use the refunded MP to re-use TBN. New Delirium for back-to-back-to-back Bloodspiller spam was a fun gimmick the first couple of times but it gets old pretty fast. And unless I'm missing something vital, Unleash being 150 power and having no mp cost now means that your basic combo on more than 2 enemies is Unleash->Unleash->Unleash->Unleash. For 72 levels, until you get Stalwart Soul and get a second hit to that combo for Unleash->Stalwart->Unleash->Stalwart.

Theres also some weird maths where using Quietus is actually a DPS loss over just spamming Unleash->Stalwart, due to Stalwart Soul generating MP and Quietus not, meaning that each Stalwart Soul gets you 1/5th of the way to using another Flood of Darkness, putting the total potency fractionally higher than using Quietus. That part is just taken verbatum from the official forums though, so it may well be wildly wrong.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

god drat I miss miasma, bane, and energy drain

game seems to acknowledge when you're playing a healer more though. you can bring it up in some early introduction quest and (Eulmore) when vauthry demands kai-shirr cut off some of his flesh and alphinaud heals him, you lean over and assist

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, Important Info, For those of you not aware riding maps are obtained at rank 2 for each zone with bicolor gemstones gotten from the vendors. Doing Il mehg was way better with it since it only takes 6 fates to get the map.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

On the whole, the job got downgraded, but whatever, it's still powerful, it's still fun, it's certainly not so bad that it's worth writing the game off over. I'm worried about their future plans for healers, though. And poor AST, sheesh. :smith:

I swapped from SCH to AST yesterday since the SCH changes didn't seem very exciting. My initial impression after a couple of runs of the 71 dungeon is that I prefer the new incarnation of AST over the old on the whole, even if I miss some aspects.

I especially like the new, less unique cards. Sure, it's a loss of flavor but you no longer have horrible dry spells where you fail draw a balance or even spear for several minutes and card management is a lot more leisurely since draw and play are uncoupled so you can hold and continually redraw cards for a good while without loss. I even like the part where you start tossing nothing but minor arcana after completing your combo which someone else in TPT was not fond of; it feels like a reward for playing the mini game well/getting a little lucky.

I do miss some of the buff time fuckery you could do to apply +25s, 150% strength balances on the BLM while extending your lightspeed into forever in 4.x, but at the same time I found fully optimizing my buff time fuckery in StB to be annoyingly fiddly and it made being forced to actually cast heals in your 8 second setup phase or whatever it was needlessly punishing. A baby did get thrown out with the bathwater when they decided to just axe the entire mechanic, though.

I get that the people who really enjoyed 4.x AST aren't thrilled since they did kill a lot of the job's buff functionality and made it simpler and more consistent, but as someone for whom L70 AST was a little too galaxy brain it's a nice revamp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How did WHM shake out for Shadowbringers? It seems like the least changed of the healing jobs, so I'm curious how it feels these days.

isk posted:

MSQ/Alliance roulettes and Beast Tribes make leveling lv 50+ alts super easy and efficient. Also bear in mind you can leave most sidequests for alts and power thru them once you've unlocked flying in an area.

I'll try MSQ/Alliance roulettes--maybe those will have less of a painful queue than leveling/dungeon roulettes right now. Thanks for the suggestion! That might help instead of slamming my face against PotD.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Things definitely hit harder, but also bosses are a fair bit more mechanically complex than bosses in previous leveling dungeons. I think the final boss of Sirensong Sea had that forced march thing... maybe a split damage thing once or twice? The final boss of Holminster is like a mini raid boss in terms of poo poo going on. It's a really good fight and definitely not boring like some other bosses.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Edmond's Guide to 5.0 AST Cards

The cards feel... a bit more involved than I expected tbh. Since you're picking out singular people rather than AoEing everything, you need to keep an eye on your party list for applying them. It's not that hard once you figure out that:

The "good" cards (Balance, Spear, Arrow) go in melee dps.
The "lovely" cards (Ewer, Spire, Bole) go in ranged dps.

Divination is on a 180 sec cooldown, so don't go insane trying to get the 3 different seals right off the bat, you'll get tunnel vision trying to redraw and someone will get dead. I recommend you weave redraws, if you don't get a seal you need you can Minor Arcana the card (Sword goes on melee, Wings go on ranged) which gives 4/8 damage increase but no seals. You can kinda abuse this since Minor Arcana doesn't have cooldown, you can arcana every single card.

...which you should be doing once you line up your 3 different seals if your divination isn't off cooldown yet or if you're saving it for a particular fight.

Also, sleeve draw is now "draw 2 cards" (gives draw a 3 sec cooldown). Remember you need to play the card you're holding, otherwise draw will overwrite it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

World War Mammories posted:

game seems to acknowledge when you're playing a healer more though.

Oh thank god. Them never taking the notion of you playing a healer into account got straight-up comedic for a while there, mostly in the post-ARR/Heavensward run where they start basically declaring you a god-slayer. I started taking it as a running gag, that my healer was some anti-Forrest Gump figure who just managed to be coincidentally around several other people who got famous kills, and started being assumed to be some globetrotting deity-slayer. Because hey, the same green-haired elezen was described as being near where Ifrit, Titan and Garuda died, and was spotted somewhere near the Praetorium, obviously she was the key person in all those fights despite her 'weapon' being a textbook!

Looking back now, though, it does ring a tad sour. I don't think they've ever fully grasped that voluntary healer mains exist, hence why the story struggles with it and their redesigns could be generously described as 'misguided'.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well I mean, they acknowledged it in stormblood too. Once.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They should flag RDMs as a "Healer" for those scenes. I got vercure, bitches! :mad:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

They've definitely changed something in the behind-the-scenes damage/defense calculations. I ran Sohm Al Hard this morning and I was scrambling to try and keep everyone alive. Stuff that I could've trivially handled with a single Diurnal Aspected Helios back in the day was taking multiple Helios casts instead to get everyone out of danger, and our tank got clobbered by the first boss in a way that I've never seen before.

Harrow posted:

How did WHM shake out for Shadowbringers? It seems like the least changed of the healing jobs, so I'm curious how it feels these days.

WHM is really good, to the point of being probably the best of the three healers for general usage. With the aforementioned increase in damage taken, having a bunch of powerful single/multi-target heals you can call up on demand has a surprising amount of value. The only thing that stinks is that it doesn't quite feel complete until you unlock Afflatus Misery, but that's a minor complaint.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Harrow posted:

GNB Cons:
- Tank queues are nuts so leveling one from 60 will be more of a pain than anticipated, and I never bothered with PotD before so I need to do a bunch of that before I can unlock HoH.

I've always done every MSQ ever as WAR and I was deciding similarly between GNB and new MCH for this expansion for a change of pace. These two bits are why I ended up going MCH - I'd much rather level MCH through MSQ then dungeon spam later on with GNB once the queues settle than level GNB through MSQ and either PotD or wait for queues on MCH.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Hot take

I like current astrologian much more

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vermain posted:

They've definitely changed something in the behind-the-scenes damage/defense calculations. I ran Sohm Al Hard this morning and I was scrambling to try and keep everyone alive. Stuff that I could've trivially handled with a single Diurnal Aspected Helios back in the day was taking multiple Helios casts instead to get everyone out of danger, and our tank got clobbered by the first boss in a way that I've never seen before.

Remember that we don't have Protect anymore. I think that's the majority of the change that makes healing feel harder now, that we don't have that default state of 'everyone's taking less damage'.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Done a few dungeons now as SCH. I only really have one actual complaint, one slight beef, and overall good impressions.

Healing seems to be much more demanding of your time now, which I like quite a lot because it feels great to set up a big pull to where you can sneak in a whole bunch of aoe spam with an excog backed fairy tether. The damage rotation for scholar had to be trimmed because you really don’t have the time to dedicate a big block of gcds to your DPS anymore.

My beef is my fairy healing on the go during pulls pulls threat really easily, but if I adlo and just run with the tank it’s usually not a big deal. Wish I could have a passive option just for pulls, but it’s workable.

Aetherflow only being usable in combat is loving trash garbage and my only actual complaint about scholar. I don’t know the reasoning for it, but good lord it’s awful.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
now that i am heading home soon i just realized i hadn't played stormblood msq past 4.1

is there a boost??? please???

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Remember that we don't have Protect anymore. I think that's the majority of the change that makes healing feel harder now, that we don't have that default state of 'everyone's taking less damage'.

Protect wasn't actually doing much and was mostly a placebo. You could even hear some of the staff saying that they too would wait before the healer casted protect when they should know that it really isn't doing much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Aetherflow only being usable in combat is loving trash garbage and my only actual complaint about scholar. I don’t know the reasoning for it, but good lord it’s awful.

I'm sorry but WHAT

WHY

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
God the music in this expansion is so loving good. Like the first time you hear the (minor spoilers) night theme in the Crystarium and then the lyrics kick in and you're all :aaa:

Cabbit posted:

I really like how Black Rose is some kind of extremely scary magical poison gas that.. basically does the exact same thing that regular ol' poison gas does: kills you fuckin' dead without harming any buildings or infrastructure. Except it's probably a lot harder to make because it's a weirdly specific magical chemical weapon. I'm sure it's setting up some Ascian bullshit but man, that must have been a weird planning meeting in Garlemald.

The Ascian bullshit is probably that the Black Rose kills people by removing their aether, rather than actually trying to poison them. You can defend against poison, but something that just rips your soul clean from your body? Yeah, gonna be hard to make a gas mask that good.

Minrad posted:

Aww, as a pet owner the quest near the end of Il Mheg just about broke my heart. :unsmith:

:same: :smith:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a better way to see how a class plays at later levels other than just grinding through PotD? So many of the classes just aren't feature complete in the 30-40 zone.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm torn, on one hand viera look kinda neat but there's going to be a ton of them

on the other hand, a large fluffy cat is BEGGING for a name like Lieutenant Mittens

the mittens will be so BIG

can someone do me a solid if you have a hrothgar, can you go see what Highland Mitts look like with your giant dumb hands? I'm still downloading (extremely slowly)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, people have told me that trusts AOE in dungeons, but I'm just not seeing it. On the pull in Holminster with all the scorpions, or the one in Dohn Mheg with all the wasps, which each have at least 8 mobs, they single target them all down one at a time. It's a little frustrating imho!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Seen in Times Square today. It goes on the other side of the building too. Not something I expected for an MMO expansion at this time in the lifecycle!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

Seen in Times Square today. It goes on the other side of the building too. Not something I expected for an MMO expansion at this time in the lifecycle!

The marketing department has come a long way from Mrs. Freshley's.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They're pushing Shadowbringers extremely hard and they're right to do so because so far the plot has been god-tier. If you think of everything to the end of the first dungeon and That Cutscene as an 'Act 1' it's the strongest plot I've ever seen in an MMO.,

WoW 8.2 having a mixed reception of "yeah this fixes problems but that just brings it up from 'dogshit' to 'would have been considered a good start a year ago'" is serendipitous also.

On another note I'm loving obsessed with Titania's theme.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

titania theme real good

we got a few people in the FC scouring the dungeons and stuff for orchestron rolls, music is real good this expac

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It really helps that FF14 doesn't look like a game that started development nearly 20 years ago.

(it looks like a game that started development nearly 15 years ago)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

They’re enormous

Thank you

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry but WHAT

WHY

They want to get rid of prepull stuff. SMN in particular was going to have a near 2 minute prep cycle for 100% optimization without them implementing combat only abilities. But uh yeah, I think in SCHs current form Aetherflow should be useable at all times. Maybe expect it in the Eden normal/savage patch.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

LegionAreI posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a billboard right beside it to remind people that World of Warcraft 8.2 launched this week.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Givin posted:

I hope Captain Lyna turns out to be a traitor and we have to put her down. When she insisted she come along for the trust dungeon I laughed as I turned my back and waved her off. Dumb rabbit chewbaccas.

What do you have against Lyna? I did the dungeon with her instead of Alisaie since I'm playing RDM, and she seemed fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

They want to get rid of prepull stuff. SMN in particular was going to have a near 2 minute prep cycle for 100% optimization without them implementing combat only abilities. But uh yeah, I think in SCHs current form Aetherflow should be useable at all times. Maybe expect it in the Eden normal/savage patch.

The reason makes sense but the solution is terrible. They should have made it so that aetherflow has no cooldown out of combat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Harrow posted:

I'm very torn on which job to level first in ShB between GNB and RDM.

RDM Pros:
- Already level 70, can jump right into ShB.
- Get to use all that tasty MSQ experience to level a DPS job, which will be more of a pain later.
- DPS queues for dungeons are short right now and that won't last forever.
- Updates to the job are pretty neat.

RDM Cons:

GNB Pros:
- New role for me, shiny new job.
- Extremely sick animations.
- Presumably near unkillable while doing solo MSQ quests.

GNB Cons:

Yeah, having played RDM mainly in the last expac, this is basically more of the same with a few minor hotbar changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Givin posted:

I hope Captain Lyna turns out to be a traitor and we have to put her down. When she insisted she come along for the trust dungeon I laughed as I turned my back and waved her off. Dumb rabbit chewbaccas.

:yikes: