Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

god that guy is pathetic, if there was an altirght bingo the only area that would be unchecked on his card is "white supremacy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

also how are chinese people not in that sphere? they've been called "jews of the orient" before
I’ve mainly heard that term used in relation to Overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia and to some extent their groups of origin on the mainland (Hakka, Hokkien, Cantonese, Teochew), not so much as a blanket term for all Chinese

Also philo-semitism bleeds into antisemitism very easily, for example in this famous onion article: https://www.theonion.com/affable-anti-semite-thinks-the-jews-are-doing-super-job-1819566603

Much like how fetishizing Asians doesn’t mean you’re not racist towards them...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

How has this dude gotten so obsessed with china while absorbing zero anticapitalist rhetoric.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like he seems to be trying to be a maoist strasserite but when it comes to his personal problems he seems fully unable to connect them to his ostensible ideology.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ex-Trump advisor Steve Bannon: Huawei is a ‘dirty bomb inside industrial democracies’

Between this and a new HBO "documentary" that's trying to spin the Xinjiang issue as the new "white helmets / Aleppo" type of "something MUST be done" heartstring-tugging, it really feels like some arm of the propaganda apparatus is going all-in on China.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

CNBC is complicit for giving bannon a platform

and yah, trying for china seems like extremely lazy and poor work by some propaganda department that stopped receiving checks from their bosses years ago

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ex-Trump advisor Steve Bannon: Huawei is a ‘dirty bomb inside industrial democracies’

Between this and a new HBO "documentary" that's trying to spin the Xinjiang issue as the new "white helmets / Aleppo" type of "something MUST be done" heartstring-tugging, it really feels like some arm of the propaganda apparatus is going all-in on China.

To what end, it's not like we're going to war with a nuclear power or really anyone with a competent military.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can't wait for steve bannon to keel over dead, but he'll probably outlive me

sincx posted:

Almost certainly raised in or spent a significant amount of time in the US.

As already noted, anti-Semitism is generally nonexistent in China itself. Jewish people are (for better or worse) perceived as smart and wealthy, and thus respected. Repeated transfers by Israel to China of US military technology help with relations too.
the goon who pointed out that philo-Semitism can turn in an instant is right, though. "how to be more like Jews" is its own little cottage industry there, and when people realize that's bunk, then it may not go well. i don't have the link but i read a good article on medium about it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Darkman Fanpage posted:

time to obsess over some guy on twitter posting stupid poo poo

c-spam subtitle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/prasanto/status/1144426210790789120

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

old religious man has hosed up views about gender equality, who knew

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

spirituality a lineage of hack fraud. who thunkit :hmmyes:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah, we peer into a lake and read smoke to find a kid who we believe to be the reincarnation of Avalokiteśvara, sometimes several, in which case we determine it by literally drawing a name from a jar, but the possibility that could be a woman? Pffffhahaha

Also burying the lede that he thinks most of the refugees to the EU should be sent back and stay in their own countries

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

look if you're expecting decent views from an old man that's the spiritual head of a religion, then you're gonna be disappointed every time

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

look if you're expecting decent views from an old man that's the spiritual head of a religion, then you're gonna be disappointed every time

dude also likes to hang out with Japanese holocaust deniers. without a doubt most of America’s native informants and regime change champions have terrible opinions that need to be suppressed by the media

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kavita_krishnan/status/1144280662288977920

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

somebody please change the Dalai Lama's diaper, he's grouchy again

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It makes sense that he'd do that since his end goal is booting China out of Tibet and having the diaspora return. People give him too much credit as like, a weird pacifist IMO when he really isn't

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

It makes sense that he'd do that since his end goal is booting China out of Tibet and having the diaspora return. People give him too much credit as like, a weird pacifist IMO when he really isn't

people give him too much credit because the media makes him out to be the pope of Buddhism and not an exiled feudal ruler

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

He sort of is the pope of Buddhism considering how anti-communist the Catholic Church has been.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I mean Tibet becoming more (non-Buddhist) multiculturally and secularly inclined is a direct threat to the authority of the Dalai Lama so it's not a surprise, but you think he'd do a better job playing to the Western liberal sympathies that have made him a household name.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
guys im beginning to think this anticommunist icon might be a bit of a fascist

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean Tibet has always been a religious kingdom more than anything else; they've basically been a semi-autonomous vassal state for their entire existence, sometimes more than others, but generally no one gave a poo poo about them unless they had a point to prove or Tibet decided to rebel (Tibet rebelled constantly). The Yuan ruled them for a while, then they rebelled and were independent for a while, then the Qing took them over, then they were invaded by the British for some goddamned reason, and after that the Qing invaded them again. After Xinhai they were independent for a while before Mao invaded. Then you have the negotiations post-civil war, with China rolling in after Tibet rebelled again (I told you they do this constantly), and then the Great Leap Forward / Cultural Revolution happened and a bunch of poo poo in Tibet got blown up. Eventually things calmed down and China made another motion towards peace but Tibet rebelled (how many times do I have to tell you this) and that leads us to today.

That is my extremely loose summary on Tibet's history thanks for reading

But yeah with how weird their history has been him wanting to re-establish an independent kingdom is basically tradition. :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just got back from two week Beijing trip.

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end
2. In spite of being absolutely party controlled propaganda, their TV news was so much more informative and relevant that I physically gagged when I saw CNN in a US airport
3. In spite of how low wages are, they still automated employees away at McDonald's.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

ikanreed posted:

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end
2. In spite of being absolutely party controlled propaganda, their TV news was so much more informative and relevant that I physically gagged when I saw CNN in a US airport
3. In spite of how low wages are, they still automated employees away at McDonald's.

This is the most C-SPAM post I have ever read

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end

It blows my mind that third tier cities like lanzhou have a better subway system than chicago

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How is city tier determined? Is it an.official classification

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Jose posted:

There is a list for 1st tier and after that is a dick waving game.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jose posted:

First tier cities just say their name when shown in a movie.

"London"

Second tier cities they have to remind you what country they're in

"Madrid, Spain"

Third tiers are just like
"Somewhere in southern Iowa"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

ikanreed posted:

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end

Correct, the coverage over Taiwan for instance is one of the best in all media

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

cities have different level of administration: province-level municipalities, prefectural-level cities, county-level and so on. this isn't a complete one-to-one with what cities are first, second, third tiers but it's a decent guide

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHw-DNYlNF8

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7JOhZtmVPE&t=34s

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
They got nothing on the yelling Korean lady.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:wow:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
seriously look at the last intro in the CCTV 4 clips. just let that wash over you and become one with the party-news-world

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

where this from

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Kurnugia posted:

where this from

Three Kingdoms (2010)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kurnugia posted:

where this from

Autism Sneaks posted:

Three Kingdoms (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQgby8Rb0ImEP4108x04Feg2dBvuDADJG If anyone wants to have a watch right on youtube.