Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I like making the levels but I suck at playing mario. This is a true dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The steelbook's plastic sleeve is so much better that the actual case cover it's amazing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hm. Every course in the Hot category so far has been a shithead symphony of gently caress You mechanics.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

Finally got around to making a level. Pretty short and simple but need to start somewhere.

Gentle Snowy Slopes
F3F-G25-3KF

Oh, this is relevant to you. I was worried it was just going to be a donation for myself.

DalaranJ posted:

You guys like weird pledges, right?

For each goon that beats NED and also posts a FFV themed level they made in the SMM2 thread, I will donate $10 to a maximum of $200.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
How the hell do you... create levels? After some normal play to get used to the various games (only good at SMW, never even played 3D) I jumped into maker mode and just sorta... stared at the ghost house template for five minutes before leaving.

Mega64 posted:

Also I'm surprisingly digging the competitive multiplayer. Might be focusing more time on that.

Y'know, I tried playing a bit and it took me about 30 seconds to find a match, another 15 seconds to load in and then we played. It was a maybe 2 minute tops match and then kicked back out to re-search. After another 30 seconds of searching it started to connect me and then dropped the connection. So 1:15-1:30 of sitting and waiting for 2 minutes of playing. Maybe it's just release day jitters on the servers or something stupid but I hope Nintendo can tighten that up because it'll kill my interest in multiplayer.

edit - I also want to shout out a level called Call of Koop'thulu that I played through last night. First half was running around wizards & collecting coins, second half was underwater w/ the darkness mechanic avoiding bloopers & C'thulu himself which made me jump a few times

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 29, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I decided to play around with 3D World and it's funky blocks this morning:

Blinking Blast
3B3-81Y-4FF

This one is pretty short since I was just trying out different things. I feel like it needs some kind of tweak to make it a little more difficult.

Omnikin posted:

How the hell do you... create levels? After some normal play to get used to the various games (only good at SMW, never even played 3D) I jumped into maker mode and just sorta... stared at the ghost house template for five minutes before leaving.

Have you spoken with Yamamura? Seriously, the tutorials in Yamamura's Dojo (the pidgeon icon at the bottom of the menu) are fantastic for walking people through taking things from concept to level.

But the best way to start is to think of an item you want to play with, then see what you can do with it and make a set of challenges around it. Even if you don't do good, you'll figure something out.

Crusader posted:

KML-3HB-15G

DOOMSHIP: smb3 airship theme, autoscrolling

That level was a little busy and the only way to deal with Koopa at the end was by running through him. Since it's an autoscroller I kept having things pile up on me.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 29, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Drinkfist posted:

I like making the levels but I suck at playing mario. This is a true dilemma.

The fix is obviously to play my new level!

Bombs in the Clouds
KFR-K84-X0H

A light airborne course with lots of floating platforms and flying Bullet Bill launchers. Watch out for the secret area before the checkpoint!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Enjoy my first ever MM level. Luigi’s Airship Escape. Short and Sweet.

C6K-3QP-RSG

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

nrook posted:

Bombs in the Clouds
KFR-K84-X0H

A light airborne course with lots of floating platforms and flying Bullet Bill launchers. Watch out for the secret area before the checkpoint!

Deal. But after I get back from work. In the meantime enjoy my first breakout hit single "June Hills" HG6-X4J-7RF. I can beat it so you know it's NORMAL.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Feenix posted:

Enjoy my first ever MM level. Luigi’s Airship Escape. Short and Sweet.

C6K-3QP-RSG

Don't put red coins in when they're not used. Also, a level that requires taking no damage dealing with the randomness of KJ in a clown car isn't fun, especially when you're dealing with that on bumpers.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Don't put red coins in when they're not used. Also, a level that requires taking no damage dealing with the randomness of KJ in a clown car isn't fun, especially when you're dealing with that on bumpers.

I am starting to feel that people forgot the fun in some of their levels and are closeted sadists. I tried Kaizo Snakeblock on the list by Pocky In My Pocket and I feel personally attacked. We need to all chill out and remember at least half of the people playing your levels did not in fact kick your dog.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Random Stranger posted:

Have you spoken with Yamamura? Seriously, the tutorials in Yamamura's Dojo (the pidgeon icon at the bottom of the menu) are fantastic for walking people through taking things from concept to level.

But the best way to start is to think of an item you want to play with, then see what you can do with it and make a set of challenges around it. Even if you don't do good, you'll figure something out.

I poked into the dojo yesterday but admittedly didn't watch anything besides the basic tutorial. I'm at work all day today (gently caress responsibility) but will probably be playing undocked later tonight and aaaaaaaall morning tomorrow before the kids wake up.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Drinkfist posted:

I am starting to feel that people forgot the fun in some of their levels and are closeted sadists. I tried Kaizo Snakeblock on the list by Pocky In My Pocket and I feel personally attacked. We need to all chill out and remember at least half of the people playing your levels did not in fact kick your dog.

It's labelled as a Kaizo level! tbh It's probably pretty easy for a kaizo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, this is relevant to you. I was worried it was just going to be a donation for myself.

I saw that earlier in the FJF thread, still mulling over how to approach it. Maybe four sections where you choose a job, do a little mini-game based on that job, then move on to the next section. Though that'd be twenty mini-games, still sounds like a fun concept.

MrRat
Aug 9, 2008
This is my first MM level.

5 Red Coins in the Ghost House
K13-LGF-VKF

It's a shortish red coin level with a couple tricky parts.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

To be honest I can't imagine a level name that would scare me away from a level faster than "Kaizo Snakeblock", so I think this one is on you

Thoughts on June Hills:

* Overall I like it!
* The autoscrolling in the vertical section is pretty aggressive, especially with the Thwomps
* I got a little annoyed that I had to do the easy opening again every time I died in the more challenging middle section
* lol at the checkpoint
* The free 1up mushroom at the end feels out of place
* The ending is a little cruel--- there's an arrow implying the player should do a blind jump, but if they try, they'll wind up landing on some tiny platforms

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

nrook posted:

Bombs in the Clouds
KFR-K84-X0H

I really liked it. You definitely took pigeon-kun's lessons to heart. The punishment of walking back was way better than just dying. It felt like it was friendly enough for a newbie and had some extra to do for more experienced players.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Drinkfist posted:

I hate levels like that, truly. And I honestly thought that bumper-busting KJ in the clown car was super easy and very repeatable. I’ll look back at it and definitely remove the red coins, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If nobody plays your course the first time you upload it, I assume it gets lost and never played? Anyways I'm new to mario maker... tell me if this is medium-hard or just annoying and unfun. I created it last night and it seems nobody made any attempts on it. I know the 2nd area with the falling is a bit rough/boring

1HV-DX9-DLG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

I like a challenge, but it's tricky to make one that's fair and interesting.

A quick list of things that make a level hard but not fun:
  • Enemy spam
  • Near frame perfect tricks
  • Requiring the player to follow a tight, exact path at high speed where any mistake is fatal. Also, it uses the NSMB tile set.
  • Piling on randomness with no mitigation (hammer bros., off-screen Bowser, boss character in clown car)
  • Forcing the player to memorize the level by dying to it repeatedly until they know all your tricks.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

Does this still have the feature where you can follow makers so I only have to input one code per goon?

Yes! You can tap the star on a maker’s profile to follow them.

Getting this short-and-sweet out of my system. Hello Maker, or: It’s All Downhill From Here WSB-WHX-CYG

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 29, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ethanol posted:

If nobody plays your course the first time you upload it, I assume it gets lost and never played? Anyways I'm new to mario maker... tell me if this is medium-hard or just annoying and unfun. I created it last night and it seems nobody made any attempts on it. I know the 2nd area with the falling is a bit rough/boring

1HV-DX9-DLG

I think the "endless queue" algorithm doesn't seed enough new courses in. This means the courses you get are usually pretty good, but on the other hand, your new levels are unlikely to get played. My first stage didn't get played until I posted it here, but once it got a few plays and likes, I've had hundreds of plays coming in.

If you think about it, "nobody played my level, it must be bad" makes no sense, right? If nobody played your level, they won't know if it's good or bad, so the problem must be with Mario Maker's implementation.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nrook posted:

I think the "endless queue" algorithm doesn't seed enough new courses in. This means the courses you get are usually pretty good, but on the other hand, your new levels are unlikely to get played. My first stage didn't get played until I posted it here, but once it got a few plays and likes, I've had hundreds of plays coming in.

If you think about it, "nobody played my level, it must be bad" makes no sense, right? If nobody played your level, they won't know if it's good or bad, so the problem must be with Mario Maker's implementation.

Yeah I have one level I had a friend play and it has over a hundred plays with a very low clear ratio, telling me people got frustrated and left. On the other hand the new course I posted and did not link to anybody was up all night and has no plays at all so I can only assume it was lost in the algorithm

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hello I made an easy cloud map

R45-P1F-6RG

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Should be getting here today but sad to hear that costumes are out. I made a pretty fun level called a Goomba Dissents in MM1.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ethanol posted:

1HV-DX9-DLG

I'm going to come down on the side of annoying (and I say this knowing that the level I last posted will wind up annoying some people). Off screen, one tile jumps are annoying. Bouncing on the two cannon balls with the low ceiling there was annoying. And there were a lot of little things that were off in the level; the way the fire bars were all in sync made the stage look weird and the the spike shells placed too closely so they bounced off each other when going around a corner.

Overbite posted:

Hello I made an easy cloud map

R45-P1F-6RG

Cute level with a nice style. I definitely would have liked it to be tougher, but that's not really a mark against it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 29, 2019

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Random Stranger posted:

Cute level with a nice style. I definitely would have liked it to be tougher, but that's not really a mark against it.

Thanks. My levels always end up being hard on accident so this time I tried to make it easy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

emgeejay posted:

Yes! You can tap the star on a maker’s profile to follow them.

Getting this short-and-sweet out of my system. Hello Maker, or: It’s All Downhill From Here TCB-8VG-9QG

Are you sure this is the right code? It brings up a level called "The Koopas of Tube City" for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When you upload a level and then save it, does it update the upload? Because the UI certainly leads you to believe so (putting upload icons on both, changing both’s thumbnail.)

I made my key coins useful (Locked door)
I still stand by fighting KJ while on the bouncy donuts is not hard and also sort of entirely the point. I’ll accept my downvotes if I must... :p

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Are you sure this is the right code? It brings up a level called "The Koopas of Tube City" for me.
D’oh, enjoy my friend’s level I guess! Thanks for the heads up. Corrected to WSB-WHX-CYG

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waking up and reading about speedrunning Jungle Crawl makes me happy :v:

Woke up and had this idea for a enemy takedown stage. Can you restore peace to the jungle?
The Wetland Warlords
MSQ - 4PQ - T1H

Alternate title is Mario: First Blood.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Feenix posted:

When you upload a level and then save it, does it update the upload? Because the UI certainly leads you to believe so (putting upload icons on both, changing both’s thumbnail.)

No. Think about it this way: someone could validate their level before uploading it, then change it to be unwinnable, then save it again. So if you want modify a level you uploaded, you need to go through the process again.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Played a bunch of levels posted :)

Tried my hand at one:
K19-YVY-SSF

Just a short jaunt into an anthill.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
More Reviews We're down to #30 Submit yours today!
What A Rush 43P-3R1-QJG
Without any coins floating around, the level seemed kind of lonely, which may or may not be what you were planning. Also, while not a problem for goons, being able to spin jump on Twomps can be un-ituitive for anyone under 22 years old.
Depth Perception GSF-H39-RDG
The platforms after the goomba slope are low enough that with the airship camera movement sometimes they are off screen. Overall, the main emotion I felt was annoyance.
Castle of Thatway B6T-CJF-C3G
Checkpoints, use them. The cannon fight and p switch fall were fun, the first five times, 15 deaths from bowser/hammer bro rng, not so much.
SMB3: fast chill winter secrets BGY-7VW-R1G
So much money! Really captured the SM3 feel. I wanted to get behind the ending with a white box. (not implemented in SMM)
Reminiscence of Croc 49B-JWQ-KPF
Never played Croc, comments seem to think its on point. Good Work.
Sky Stroll LG7-FQP-R1G
What sort of monster hacks into Nintendo's archives and gives away the unreleased butter bridge level!
Fun in the Heat GSR-4W5-P5G
The problem with well designed "classic" levels is that there isn't much to say. Easier to speedrun than not, due to the brick runways.
Beneath the Kingdom BD6-GK8-7CG
The early spiketops make me sad, and the cramped spaces make me less inclined to explore. :(
Thwompcharge Summer X1V-WX5-X4G
I laughed, only bad part was with the big galoombas, as needing to bounce off them could have been telegraphed better.
Hitchin' a Ride 4P6-3KT-BGG
You spent a lot of time on this. Problem is that the saw is based on player position after a jump, so its basically random, and some positions, combined with the spiny are forced hits. Unless the trick was to take a hit early to manipulate the saw spawn, in which case, good work, ya got me.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Waking up and reading about speedrunning Jungle Crawl makes me happy :v:

Woke up and had this idea for a enemy takedown stage. Can you restore peace to the jungle?
The Wetland Warlords
MSQ - 4PQ - T1H

Alternate title is Mario: First Blood.

This theme is incredible

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Got a new level!

1-4 Freezy & Breezy

CXS-P0T-BRF

I love the new Snow theme for SMW even if it is a remix of the title screen!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay it's kind of silly that you can't stack enemies in Mario 3D World style. Mario 3D World originated stacked enemies! :mad:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Put together a new something.

Venture into an abandoned shack and put a stop to the nefarious Octomancer, Ikarus!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
how the hell do you beat mystery of the dry bones shell (job 84)? i've gotten to the room with conveyor belts and a pow block i need to hit and can't figure out how to get it

e: also does this thing have some sort of high jump i can't figure out, because a lot of the optional stuff in this level seems to want me to jump higher than i can

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Does the difficulty increase as you beat levels in endless mode or is it about the same forever?